Start by marking “The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills” as Want to Read:
The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills

The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  3,637 Ratings  ·  325 Reviews
The Little Book of Talent is a manual for building a faster brain and a better you. It is an easy-to-use handbook of scientifically proven, field-tested methods to improve skills—your skills, your kids’ skills, your organization’s skills—in sports, music, art, math, and business. The product of five years of reporting from the world’s greatest talent hotbeds and interviews ...more
Published August 21st 2012 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2012)

Eric Wallace
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First you should know before continuing to read my review is that I am totally addicted to books about increasing productivity, developing talent and creativity, probing how the mind works and how to get the most out of it, and building good habits and influencing positive decisions. So how could I not like this book?

And yet because of said affliction, there were few ideas or concepts that were new for me, simply because I've read so much on these similar topics. Still, I enjoyed the book for it
AZ ZA
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, tot, to-buy-reread
Getting started

1.Stare at who you want to become
Studies show that even a brief connection with a role model can vastly increase unconscious motivation.“windshield”.

2.Spend fifteen minutes a day engraving the skill on your brain
watch the skill being performed, closely and with great intensity, over and over, until you build a high-definition mental blueprint.
The key to effective engraving is to create an intense connection: to watch and listen so closely that you can imagine the feeling of per
Flexnib
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some great tips here, including:

TIP #4
BUY A NOTEBOOK
"...write stuff down and reflect on it. Results from today. Ideas for tomorrow. Goals for next week. A notebook works like a map: It creates clarity."

TIP #16
EACH DAY, TRY TO BUILD ONE PERFECT CHUNK
"...set a daily SAP: smallest achievable perfection. In this technique, you pick a single chunk that you can perfect—not just improve, not just “work on,” but get 100 percent consistently correct."

TIP #50
CULTIVATE YOUR GRIT
"Grit is that mix of passion
Saeed
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
یک کتاب خیلی کوچک که یک روزِ همه می توانید بخوانید راجع به موفقیت، دنیل کویل نویسنده این کتاب توصیه هایی برای عاشقان رقابت و ورزشکاران ارائه می دهد

نمونه ای از این توصیه ها را در سایت نویسنده می توانید ببینید

یکیش رو در لینک زیر آوردم
Hope
Shelves: help-yourself
I won a copy through Goodreads' Firstreads giveaway program!!!

I am always skeptical of self-help books, but “The Little Book of Talent” is more of a pocket reference guide. There are undoubtedly a couple tips in here that everyone already knows…but moreover many you never thought to try.
Coyle offers quotes from famous successes and examples for how these tips relate to everyday talents. I especially enjoyed his focus of nurturing ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ skills. Although this is not a new concept, the
Janalee
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book had a lot of really great advice. And you can read it in a few short hours. Don't ask me to list it out for you, but I know it will come out of my head when it's needed. Oh! Here's something I remember. They talked about a therapy for shyness. Instead of delving into your past and figuring out why you were what you were, they just decided to create good habits. So the first assignment would be, Go ask a stranger what time it is, then go ask 5 strangers. All culminating to the final mom ...more
Maryann
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win this book through a Goodreads giveaway. This is a great book on the topic. It isn't filled with fluff or wordiness. Just a common sense approach that gets right to the point. Some of the tips were new to me and it was well worth the read. I would recommend to anyone.
Marissa Morrison
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stare at what you want to become (e.g. watch YouTube videos).
Musicians should have "listening practice" as well as playing practice.
Play super-slowly to find mistakes.
Work in a simple, spartan space.
Learning hard skills requires precision and repetition.
Soft skills require variation and improv.
Don't stop practicing the basics.
Good coaches are impolite, scary, succinct, focused on fundamentals, and older. They also make an emotional connection in the first minute.
Find the "sweet spot" (50-80% err
This small book looks like one of those small books received as a graduation present. If a person did receive it, s/he might smile politely, and express gratitude while secretly wishing they had received cash instead. It would be a shame if the recipient never read it, because this book contains nuggets of wisdom beneficial to anyone looking to succeed in the workplace, improve on the sports field, or become a better musician.

This book can be easily skimmed (which is what I did), stopping on the
Anna Berendzen
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I'm not one for reading the self-help kind of books but I liked this one. I received it through the first reads program. It is very short and to the point with each of the tips being no more than two pages. An easy read to expand your knowledge!
Jalynn Patterson
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Who doesn't need to improve our talent from time to time? My favorite tip take a nap. With four kids running around I could always use this one.
Ahmad Hossam
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A bible of inspiration and practical advice for skill developments. I admire its conciseness and clear cut instructions; if you're only interested in conclusions, not arguments or lengthy scientific discussions underlying self-improvement , this is the perfect book for you.
Ferit Feyzula
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Много полезна 😊
Deborah
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book through the goodreads first reads program.

Received this book - with postage due! Only 59 cents, but still! Why didn't they just send it media mail instead of first class? This is an uncorrected proof, so I can't quote it.

I haven't read The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Math, and Just About Everything Else. For art, Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You about Being Creative may be better.

I definitely think this book would be a worth
Mikki Ibarra
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Holy Moses! I am in love with this book! Okay, I don't usually like self-help books, or inspirational type things, but I do adore things like writing prompts and simple suggestions to increase chances of success. This book sort of hauls all of that in and shoves it into these handy little tips, all of which are not beyond anyone's reach. Wow, I just keep reading and re-reading and my roommate has already told me that he is stealing the book from me when I am not looking. He read through it befor ...more
Eric Jensen
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Little Book of Talent is a 'how to' guide based on Daniel Coyle's research on the science and practice of skill building and coaching (see his previous book The Talent Code). He presents 52 tips organized into three sections: Getting Started, Improving Skills, and Maintaining Progress. Coyle's approach differs from most books written by athletic coaches and music teachers in his divergent focus and emphasis on the underlying neuroscience of skill building. While this is not really a scientif ...more
Ahmed Zunair Cheema
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
In my estimation, this book should serve as the benchmark for self-help genre. It is concise and hence time saving but at the same time it touches almost all the relevant issues concerned with honing one’s skills.
We are already aware of some of the principles discussed but a revision rekindles the value of these things.
Jean Konieczny
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won-books
A fun book full of tips! Simple things, everyone should do, no matter your talent! Great book, great advice!
Vadim Sviridovich
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Небольшая по объёму, но полезная по содержанию книга, повествующая как нам наиболее эффективно совершенствовать свои/чужие профессиональные навыки и развивать личные качества. Учить и учиться никогда не поздно!
Rayah
Shelves: first-reads
A short, easy read - this is a good thing, because you can get out there and put the 52 Tips into practice right away rather than spend a week reading about them. Most likely, if you work hard at something in your life right now, you already do some of the things mentioned in here. In that case, those chapters serve as a good reminder of why you do them. And most likely, there will be some new ideas in here, too. Author Daniel Coyle smartly gives us examples from sports, science, the arts, busin ...more
Elinor
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, Thank you Goodreads, for the free book.
I won this one thru you.

I love this little book, this is pact of good advice on how to be better on your chosen hobby, quest in life.
I read the Talent Code, which wrote by the same author and I was really impressed of that book, and I know that this little book will be hit too.

I am amateur musician, and this book helps me out tremendously, on how to make time to be better, and this book has nailed everything on how to be better and believed in yourse
Dan Shaw
Aside from the fact that the edition I read was an advance copy, thus there were more than a few grammatical errors, the sheer style of Coyle's writing was just substandard; or at least fell short of my personal standards for self help books. Having not read any of the author's previous works, nor having much preparation for this book, I wasn't overly skeptical at the onset. In actuality, many of his tips were insightful, though it consistantly references studies and people and fails to cite sou ...more
Hilary
I won this book through the first-reads program.

I'm a fan of self-help books, generally because I enjoy improving myself. A good number of self-help books, though, tend to focus upon immediate improvement and immediate gratification. Well, immediate results tend to be rare, and don't last. Luckily, this book not only acknowledges that fact, but celebrates it.

This book is divided into 52 different short tips that you can execute fairly easily. Everything from napping (Einstein did it) to slowing
Joseph McBee
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Do not let the title or the size of this book fool you. This is powerful and important stuff.

I flew through the book on the first reading just to take in all the excellent tips and strategies and now I am going back through tip-by-wonderful-tip to digest and apply what I am seeing there.

I am recommending this book to everyone I know who is interested in improving performance for themselves or those they lead, which really, should be everyone.

In these pages, Coyle reveals the strategies of the tr
Terry
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very short book on training and talents.

Key takeaways:

1. Have a roll model, someone you aspire to be, and think about it. The motivation is very important to talent development.
2. Practice in the sweet spot - a little bit stretch, don't be too comfortable where the brain is in autopilot model.
3. Small actions, repeated again and again will change us.
4. Teach to make your own knowledge deeper.
5. Luxury is a motivational narcotic - it signals minds to give less efforts. Don't live too well.
6. Hard
Jill
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Putting this book on hold at the library was step one. Bringing it home, step two. And then it sat on my coffee table because I wasn't ready for another non-fiction lecture, even though the topic intrigued me.

When I received a notice from the library it was due, I renewed it, and opened it up. Step three.

From there I consumed it hungrily, talking with others I met about all I was learning from its short and precise chapters. This book is not long or dry. It is informative with relevant examples
Maria
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received a free advanced copy in soft cover.

Wow this book is great. I like the fact that it is tips, small concise ideas, that you can add to your life. I don't like the usual self help books because they are long about explaining why this idea will help. Just give me the tip and the supporting theory and I can choose to add it to my life.

This book has a few tips that I may not totally agree with, but there are many excellent ideas that make great sense. It's like "why didn't I think of that!
Becky
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is great for anybody building skills - whether it is in music, writing, sports, arts, public speaking, or many work skills.

There were some really good tips to keep me thinking such as spending time engraving the skill or your role model on your brain, steal technique (great Picasso quote "Good artists borrow. Great artists steal."), Be willing to be stupid, figure out if the skills is a hard skill or soft skill and different techniques for each.

Some of the tips were redundant after a
เอกภพ สิทธิวรรณธนะ
หนังสือฮาวทูอานเรวเทากวาดสายตา รวบรวมเทคนิคการฝึกฝนแบบเลกๆ นอยๆ ทีหยิบไปประยุกตใชไดตามจริต หนังสือทำหนาทีเปนสมุดบันทึกสันๆ เรียบเรียงพอใหอานไดเขาใจ มีตัวอยางสาธกนิดหนอยพอกลอมแกลม

อยางไรกตาม สาระทีจะนำไปใชเปนเนือหนังชางเบาบาง อานลืนจนแทบจบเลมไดภายในรถไฟฟาสุดขบวน แลวปรากฏจำอะไรติดหัวไดไมมากนัก นอกจากขอความทีเราพอจะรูอยูแลววา "อยากเกงอยาเรง จงทำใจรม และฝึกใหมาก"
Chung Chin
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you have read "The Talent Code", and you love it, you'll love this book too.
The Talent Code presents the blueprint to talent whereas this little book presents all the handy tips on how to take the blueprint model and build it into reality.
I personally think that it's a great book that complements The Talent Code with all the concise, clear and useful advise packaged into one little book that you can quickly refer to whenever you need some idea on building your talent.
  • Choke: What the Secrets of the Brain Reveal About Getting It Right When You Have To
  • Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better
  • Nerve: Poise Under Pressure, Serenity Under Stress, and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool
  • The Practicing Mind: Bringing Discipline and Focus into Your Life
  • The 5 Elements of Effective Thinking
  • It's Not All about Me: The Top Ten Techniques for Building Quick Rapport with Anyone
  • Superhuman by Habit: A Guide to Becoming the Best Possible Version of Yourself, One Tiny Habit at a Time
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment
  • The Guardian of All Things: The Epic Story of Human Memory
  • Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More
  • Nine Things Successful People Do Differently
  • Extreme Productivity: Boost Your Results, Reduce Your Hours
  • Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin To Munger
  • Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life
Daniel Coyle is the author of the upcoming book The Culture Code (January 2018). He is the New York Times bestselling author of The Talent Code, The Little Book of Talent, The Secret Race (with Tyler Hamilton), and other books. Winner (with Hamilton) of the 2012 William Hill Sports Book of the Year Prize, he is a contributing editor for Outside magazine, and also works a special advisor to the Cle ...more
More about Daniel Coyle...

“Practice doesn’t make perfect. Practice makes myelin, and myelin makes perfect.” 7 likes
“Inspiration is for amateurs.” 6 likes