Start by marking “Peanut” as Want to Read:
Peanut

Peanut

"A smart, affecting graphic young adult novel," declares the New York Times.

Before you write me off as a delusional psycho, think about what it's like to be thrown into a situation where everyone knows everyone... and no one knows you. Sadie has the perfect plan to snag some friends when she transfers to Plainfield High—pretend to have a peanut allergy. But what happens
Published 2013 by Schwartz & Wade (first published September 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Peanut, please sign up.
Olivia Archer I read the book in less than an hour. Just read the book.

Start your review of Peanut
Whitney Atkinson
This book was so disappointing on many levels. First of all, who the heck fakes a peanut allergy for attention?? The main character was completely annoying and rude to her friends the only reason I finished this was because I wanted to see her get caught and get in trouble.

However, I really did like the art. Simple, the way I like it. Which is why this isn't one star.
Sesana
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, young-adult
Before you read this book, you need to ask yourself if you could possibly be sympathetic to someone who fakes a medical condition for attention. If the answer is no, you will absolutely hate this book. If the answer is maybe, depending, you'll probably just dislike it.

Sadie fakes a potentially life threatening medical issue, a peanut allergy that she claims is so severe that even a tiny morsel could literally kill her. She is, of course, not even remotely allergic to peanuts, she just wants
Steph Sinclair
Loved the artwork. The story was so-so. Review to come.
Michelle
Apr 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, realistic
I'm leaning more towards a 1.5 because this work is largely inoffensive, but I still found it so uninspiring that I can't bring myself to bump it up to 2 stars.

But before I get into that, I think I should explain something a little more personal first: I suffer from food allergies (including peanuts.) A LOT of them. Thankfully, none of them are airborne (meaning I can smell things I'm allergic to and be okay -- I just can't eat them), and while some of them are SEVERE, they're not DEADLY like
Sarah Rosenberger
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
When Sadie moves to a new town for her sophomore year of high school, she thinks she's come up with a good way to make friends - faking a deadly peanut allergy. It's a great ice breaker, and it makes her whole life seem dangerous and interesting. Unfortunately, Sadie quickly realizes keeping up the lie won't be as easy as she thought...

Teenagers faking illness for attention is definitely a real thing that could be the premise of a great book, but this isn't it. The story is shallow & only
Kristina Lenarczyk
Feb 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
It only took me about 45 minutes to read this graphic novel, but I did not enjoy it. Faking a severe peanut allergy so people think you're interesting? Not cool.
Idarah
"So yeah, there's no changing the past...and forget about controlling the future. All that's left is to live in the present, whatever that means." Cute.

I did make a quick mental note to try out this recipe for Gado-Gado sauce, mentioned in the book:

A bit of Ginger
A bit of Garlic
1-2 TB Soy Sauce
1/2 C of Peanut Butter

Franny
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
(My reviews are intended for my own info as a language arts teacher: they serve as notes and reflections for teaching and recommending to students. Therefore, spoilers may be present, but will be hidden.)

SUMMARY: Before reading Peanut, I was like, "An entire graphic novel just about a girl pretending to have a peanut allergy?" And yeah. It is. The story begins with Sadie Wildhack and her mom moving and Sadie enrolling in a new high school. Sadie is anxious about meeting new friends, and she gets
OliviaK_C2
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The book Peanut is about a girl faking a peanut allergy to get attention and make friends. I personally think this was an ok book because of the topic. This book was recommended to me by a friend and we both agreed that the topic is a bit random and weird. I felt like what really surprised me was that she was faking a severe peanut allergy. I think that, well, I would kinda get why you would want to fake a medical issue to get attention, but out of all the issues she could fake, she chose ...more
Lisa
Dec 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphicnovels
I hated this girl for being such a liar.

This book has art and a subject that's appropriate for middle schoolers but they threw in orgasm jokes and the finger and I don't know who to give it to...if anyone.

P.S. Sorry I used you for my goodread's challenge.
Kim Heimbuch
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My daughter received this book to read and I loved the solid blue cover with a single raised peanut in the center so much I decided to read and review it myself. Being the mother of two daughters, fifteen and nine, I could absolutely relate to everything poor Sadie was going through. The teen years are some the hardest years of a girls life and all they want to do is fit in, be liked, and do well (for the most part) but it rarely goes this smoothly. Sadie is a high schooler who recently ...more
Allison Parker
We've all told lies before, haven't we? Little white lies, here and there, little exaggerations to make our stories sound richer or our personalities sound greater. They rarely get us into much trouble. But the bigger lies - these are determined to blow up in our faces. Peanut explores one of these big lies through the life of a high school girl trying to make an impression on her new school. After Sadie's transfer, she starts telling classmates about her peanut allergy - a peanut allergy she ...more
Melissa Chung
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ugh. This graphic novel. 2 stars is being nice.

Sadie our main character is moving to a new school at the start of her sophomore year of High School. She is worried about how she will make new friends. At her last school her best friend Cheryl said you could fake a Peruvian accent and pretend you are an exchange student. This gave Sadie the idea of pretending to be someone she wasn't.

When I first picked up this graphic novel and saw the peanut on the cover, I didn't think anything of it. I
Emily  Philbin
Mar 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was teaching graphic novels and picked this one up to flip through for one example of how to set up a graphic novel, variations on color and technique, etc. So I really liked the illustrations and the way the bit of color was used in the book; however, I thought the storyline was a bit, well, stupid. Inventing a peanut allergy to seem unique? Regrets it later? I think kids are usually a bit more complicated than that, no?
Jacquelyn
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was interesting but it seemed a bit pointless. She made this whole big lie to make some friends when she could have done the same thing in a much easier and more successful way? The art was nice and I liked the pop of the red color on Sadie's shirt. However, I am not so sure I could really recommend this one. Interesting but a bit pointless.
Kelsey
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The hardest thing about having a peanut allergy is remembering to stay vigilant. Especially if you don't have one." The genre of the book is Graphic Novel/Realistic Fiction. I really enjoyed reading this book because so many crazy things happen. Peanut would be one of my favorite graphic novels I've read.
The setting takes place at Sadie's school mainly and a little at her house. Sadie (main character) is starting a new school and wants to fit in. She fakes that she has a peanut allergy and
Elise
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Peanut" is one of the most enjoyable books I've read recently, and definitely an addition to my growing list of favorite graphic novels. Through the protagonist, Sadie, Ayun Halliday captures perfectly the desire among adolescents--adolescent girls in particular--to fit in. Sadie takes this desire to extreme levels, faking a peanut allergy in order to garner attention among her new classmates. But, really, who hasn't embellished a personal characteristic or experience, or told a white lie like, ...more
Jeff Raymond
Peanut is a book about a lie.

This is not what I'd call a relatively new trope, or even something that hasn't been done before, but it's a story that feels new and fresh, and is incredibly relatable. Sadie, at her new school, is going to help her social standing by faking a peanut allergy.

You know how something like that is going to end up.

A quick read for sure, Peanut has plenty to say about honesty and integrity, as well as an interesting sub-message about our hysteria over school safety and
Rebecca
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
What would happen if you told everyone you were allergic to peanuts ... but you weren't? Sadie's tired of being invisible, so when she moves her sophomore year of high school she has a chance to start over. She orders a medical alert bracelet and starts living a double life and it works. Within a couple of weeks she's made new friends and even got a potential boyfriend. But this means she has to be vigilant all the time. And when things start to get too complicated she's afraid she'll lose ...more
Joe
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
High school is tough, even tougher when you're moving to a new town as a sophomore. Sadie decides to make a fresh start with an interesting backstory - a made up peanut allergy, complete with stylish medical alert bracelet. At first, she loves the attention. As she makes new friends and connections at school, the act is harder to keep up and real life finally starts to intrude on her fake identity.

Written in a breezy tone that chooses not to delve too deeply into questions of trust, loyalty, and
➷
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book didn't really have a lovable main character? Not even a relatable one. She literally fakes something really really serious just for attention... I don't know, I couldn't get past the fact that she was willing to do that just for the attention.

The drama was great and I enjoyed the book in a hate-read kind of way, but the main? :/

Just couldn't make myself like her.
Whitney
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
The cutesy illustrations belie the content meant for older teens. (There is a brief mention of autoerotic asphyxiation, and some talk of "fooling around.") For the most part I wasn't impressed with the writing or the plot, and the main character is pretty unlikeable. The story redeemed itself at the very end with a somewhat-happy-yet-realistic conclusion, but not enough for me to give it a better rating.
Madeline (The Bookish Mutant)
Okay, I get it, transferring schools is tough.
But of ALL OF THE THINGS SADIE COULD POSSIBLY HAVE DONE...
FAKING A PEANUT ALLERGY?
Dude, that’s just sick. God. It was physically painful having to watch her fake the whole thing with the EpiPen, lie to the nurse, staying up late trying to make her story *convincing*, just...stop it. Please.
Christopher
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
An interesting concept that doesn't truly take off. Sadie is such an unlikeable character. I never truly understood the reason why she did what she did. It seemed random and made me cringe throughout knowing that this would not end well. I had very high hopes for this book but it failed to meet my expectations.
Lindsay Coppens
Mar 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
While I enjoyed the illustrations well enough, the premise of this book was simply dumb. Girl attempts to reinvent herself by faking peanut allergy and then gets a boyfriend and wishes she didn't fake peanut allergy. Then, near the end, the school nurse makes a callous schizophrenia joke. But love prevails. The end.
Shelby S
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick read..randomly delving into graphic novels. I found the main character totally obnoxious & unrelatable...going to great lengths to fake a serious medical condition for attention. Unrealistic & unimportant. Wouldn’t recommend.
Dylan
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was my first graphic novel but unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it at all, really.

these characters were just super bland and annoying. 2 stars for the beautiful art work thoigh
Caroline
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: vomit
Frankie Quintero
Jun 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read this book because it’s in the elementary schools library and 1. It’s waaaayyyy inappropriate for anyone under 13 because of the many sexual references and 2. WHO FAKES A PEANUT ALLERGY???
Bridget Cripps
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. The nice thing about it is that it could happen in real life.

The book is about this girl named Sadie who is heading into her sophomore year in her high school. She is nervous as all people are because she's moving to a new school which is a chance to make a fresh start for herself. The only problem is that she told everyone in her school she was deathly allergic to peanuts. "So whats the problem?" you might ask. Well, Sadies secret is that she isn't actually allergic to
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Peanut 1 2 Jun 10, 2013 10:45AM

• Mercury
  • To Dance: A Ballerina's Graphic Novel
  • Lost Soul, Be at Peace
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Sunny Side Up (Sunny, #1)
Ayun Hallidayis the Chief Primatologist of the long running, award-winningEast Village Inkyzine and author of the self-mocking autobiographiesNo Touch Monkey! And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late,The Big RumpusDirty Sugar Cookies: Culinary Observations, Questionable Taste, andJob Hopper. She collaborated with illustrators Dan Santat on the picture bookAlways Lots of Heinies at the Zoo, and ...more