Start by marking “Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money” as Want to Read:
Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money

Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money

In a starred review, Publishers Weekly declared this delightful picture book "a beautifully restrained tribute to trust and tenderness shared by siblings; an entrepreneurship how-to that celebrates the thrill of the marketplace without shying away from its cold realities; and a parable about persistence."

A lemonade stand in winter? Yes, that's exactly what Pauline and John-
Published September 11th 2012 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Lemonade in Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lemonade in Winter

Start your review of Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money
Candace
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pauline and her brother, John-John want to set up a lemonade, limeade and lemon-limeade stand in the winter weather. Their parents gentle tell them that winter is not the best time for a lemonade stand, but the children won't be deterred. They collect money from the piggy bank, pockets and from under the couch cushions. Next, they go to the store, buy the ingredients, go home and make the drinks by themselves and set up the lemonade stand. When customers do not come, the children advertise, disc ...more
Jim Erekson
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
There's a lot of realism here. 1. Kids are relentless once they decide on lemonade stand--nothing else will do. 2. It costs a lot to get started. 3. If you're not right on with the timing and the place, business is slow. This book reminded me so much of all my daughters' lemonade stand attempts. Fictional license: The kids in the book made all the lemonade themselves and didn't ask the adults for any help.

It was a pleasant surprise that Jenkins had the kids bust their butts on advertising and scra
Allison Campbell
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is freezing outside when Pauline decides to open a lemonade stand. No, make that lemonade, limeade, and lemon-limeade! Her little brother, John-John eagerly joins in, while their parents warn that no one will be outside in this weather. Pauline and John-John are undeterred, and head to the store after ransacking the couch cushions for quarters. They come up with twenty-four quarters, enough for lemons, limes, sugar, and cups. A lovely illustration lays this out visually, with the quarters nee ...more
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
A brother and sister decide to open a lemonade stand in winter and they run into all the business challenges that you would expect. G. Brian Karas' illustrations are soft and perfect for this winter story. Using quarters, the children buy the materials they will need to make lemonade. After slow sales, they lower the price and at the end of the day, they discover that they have actually lost money.

Perfect for teaching not just about money and counting, but also introducing basic econ
Abigail
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Stories to Explain Coins & Currency to Young Children
Pauline and her brother John-John decide to open a lemonade (and limeade!) stand despite the icy cold weather in this engaging picture-book from author Emily Jenkins and illustrator G. Brian Karas. They spend six dollars on the supplies, and proceed to sell their drinks, first for fifty cents and then for twenty-five. At the end of the day, they've only made four dollars, but John-John isn't disturbed: four dollars can buy two popsicles!

As the sub-title of Lemonade in Winter: A Book
Donna Mork
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kids have a lemonade stand in winter. They don't do well but they have enough money at the end to buy....popsicles. What else do you buy in the middle of winter.
Tasha
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Pauline is the one who looks out on a blustery winter day and thinks of running a lemonade stand. Her little brother John-John immediately thinks it’s a great idea, but her parents are sure it won’t work. So the kids set out to collect enough money to open their stand. They dig in the couch, search pockets, and look in their piggy banks. At the store they spend 24 quarters or six dollars on supplies. They rush back home to make the lemonade, the limeade and the lemon-limeade and then out onto th ...more
Lu Benke
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can just picture how a teacher might use this book for presenting a math concept in context. And, what a rich context! Everything from advertising and marketing to profit and loss as well as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Yet,I think it was as much written to share a fun situation as to teach. I would read this to kids just for the enjoyment of it. The illustrations gave me chills just thinking about drinking cold drinks on a snowy street. My favorite illustration had mom and dad l ...more
Kelsey
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, k-2nd
Age: 1st-2nd grade

The cold, bitter wind is howling outside and a cozy family spends time together at the puzzle table. When all of the sudden, Pauline declares "Let's have a lemonade stand!" Although her parents are wary, Pauline and her little brother, John-John buy their supplies, make their lemonade, and set up shop. Pauline and John-John think up countless ways to draw people in to buying cold lemonade on a cold day.

A perfectly constructed story that occasionally brings in count
Brittany
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Book Description: Pauline and John-John decide to have a lemonade stand in the middle of winter. Young readers can learn to count coins with Pauline and John-John as they count their coins, buy ingredients and sell lemonade.

Story:
This book has a great concept: teaching children about money, how to count it, spend it, and save it. I think the book even does a good job in the way it presents coins and counting them and identifying their worth. But the story just didn’t really work for me. I
Melanie
Siblings Pauline and John-John are bored. Pauline decides she wants to have a lemonade stand. But in the winter? Really? When there's snow on the ground and icicles hanging? Ok...

The brother and sister open piggy banks and look in the couch cushions for as many quarters as they can find. They find 24 quarters total. They head to the grocery story where they explain the cost of fruit and sugar and other things needed for a stand. Then comes the fun part: the kids learn to count money,
Erin Buhr
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
LEMONADE IN WINTER begins when Pauline announces she wants to have a lemonade stand in the middle of a blizzard. Her parents are doubtful about the idea, but her brother John-John wants to help. With great enthusiasm the siblings buy, make and launch their lemonade stand. This book is full of great business vocabulary like "advertise" and "sale" woven into a fun story about siblings and winter. The two weather their blizzard lemonade business with creativity and spunk, even if it results in a le ...more
22016Patrice L.
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Lemonade in Winter is a tale of two siblings who decided that they would open a Lemonade Stand in the coldest time of the year, winter. They started out with finding money around the house to buy supplies. They set up their Lemonade stand an it was a success because they understood the art of adjusting. This story teaches children of all ages that being persistent pays off. Children can also pick up Math skills such as how to count money and most importantly they learn entrepreneurship skills. T ...more
Kristine Hansen
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A valuable lesson in counting money and economics in a story guaranteed to make you cold just reading about it. I love that the kids didn't give up, but couldn't help but think they would have had popsicles without having to pay for them if they'd just stayed outside a bit longer...which was probably the point. Anyway, it's a fun book that gently teaches and is a great way to open up a conversation about businesses and expectations and all kinds of other things.
Dolly
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining, although somewhat silly story about children who attempt to make money by having a lemonade (limeade/lemon-limeade) stand in the middle of winter. The lesson about cost versus income is invaluable and I love that the money and math lesson is seamlessly worked into the story. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and complement the story nicely. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Tracie
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Pauline and her little brother John-John learn about money and business when they set up a lemonade stand on a cold winter day. This is a great book for introducing kids to money, math, and basic business concepts.
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
This is a great little book for teaching young children about money and simple addition. :)
Kylie Sanders
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book stood out to me when looking for a concept book due to the title showing the reader it would be about money and I usually don't see picture books about counting money which is primarily a math concept, and thought it would be an interesting concept to explore as a picture book to possibly integrate into a k-3rd grade classroom or lesson. Right away the illustration style stood out since it looks like it was drawn with colored pencils making it look "homemade or kid like." In "Lemonade ...more
Meghan Thomas
This is a wonderful book to read to students while teaching about money and counting. It is a cute story that talks about two children wanting to make money in the winter, so they set up a lemonade stand. The only thing I did not enjoy about this story is the illustrations. I personally think they were lacking color and design, which made it boring to look at. While reading this to a class, you would want students to be engaged and curious but I feel like this book would make the students lack e ...more
Lauren Williams
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it was an interesting plot twist to traditional weather for selling lemonade and the traditional drink of choice to sell in the winter. The illustrations were very simple and not as bright as previous children's books I've read which was somewhat refreshing. Another great thing about this book is that it covers how to count money, specifically quarters, and what their value is. In the back of the back there's a synopsis about how money can be converted, but it's still w ...more
Thabata
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Who would have thought learning about money in such a young age could be so much fun! As Pauline and John-John decide to open a lemon-lime stand in plain windy winter, they begin a revolution within themselves. Yes, for against all odds and against their parents negative remarks they try, they persevered. Furthermore, they learn about money and its value. It is a good approach to make math and economic appealing, a great tool to introduce concepts and explore possibilities in learning. The sibli ...more
Chris
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another math picture book, and it's cute. The illustrations, by G. Brian Karas are fun to peruse. A little girl and her younger brother decide to purchase ingredients, make lemonade (and limeade and lemon-limeade) and sell it outside in the blizzard. There's all sorts of math having to do with quarters and how they add up, how much they spend, and how much they make. They even have to come up with marketing and advertising ideas! Nice for first and second ... and perhaps some third graders, too.
Abigail Evans
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was a cute read. Pauline and her little brother have a lemonade Ade, limeade, and lemon-limeade stand in the middle of a winter storm. the neighbors see how silly yet heartwarming it is and buys the lemonade even eventhough no one analyst to drink cold drinks in the winter. the book has a theme of math and counting money, and could be a very useful tool when incorporating booking across content areas. I would recommend this book.
Jenn Swanson
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Two kids decide that since it is snowing outside they are going to set up a lemonade stand. Not the brightest idea but I enjoyed the fact that the kids had the spunk to do this. My daughter even questioned why these kids would do it when it was so cold outside. Entertaining story nonetheless. Would recommend.
Emily Towne
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-438
This is a very heart warming story! Being someone who loved to spend time with my brother growing up this is a great brother sister story! I like how their parents think it will be too cold they try their hardest anyway. I also like how Pauline is teaching John-John about money the whole time they are running their lemonade stand. That added a familiar touch for me.
Zoraida Rivera Morales
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has a mix of fiction and math skills. It intertwines them so well that it doesn't interrupt the flow of the story. It's a story of perseverance, also; of going after what you want and being creative. It's, also, about accepting life lessons and seeing the good in them. It has humor, too.
Antoinette Scully
The kids want to make and sale lemonade but it's snowing outside? Who will buy summer drinks in the middle of winter?

I loved how the oldest girl was determined to accomplish her goal. And she taught her little brother some basic math, along with a kind message that making money isn't why we do night things. Recommend.
Stephanie Pieck
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: print-braille
Here's another book focused on math, similar to "Measuring Penny". This time, kids are introduced to county money. The story is sweet; I especially liked Pauline's explanation of money to John-John featured at the end of the book. A good addition to a child's collection that leads easily into teaching monetary concepts and math.
Sydney Martindale
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, math
This book is great because it incorporates math concepts, like money, throughout the story. What I enjoyed most was how informative, yet entertaining this book was to read. Also, the main characters keep a positive perspective during both their troubles and triumphs which I always appreciate seeing in children’s books.
Amy Buthelezi
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book teaches counting skills, particularly in the realm of money. The illustrations are inviting and there a plenty of repetitive phrases that make it easy for children to follow along. The book also describes various types of weather and seasons, and highlights the importance of working hard and basic economic ideas.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Very Last Castle
  • The Word Collector
  • Creepy Carrots!
  • Be Kind
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
  • Rescue & Jessica: A Life-Changing Friendship
  • The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes
  • Mae Among the Stars
  • Hana Hashimoto, Sixth Violin
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • They All Saw A Cat
Emily Jenkins is the author of many books for children, including the recent picture books Tiger and Badger, illustrated by Marie-Louise Gay, and Princessland, illustrated by Yoko Tanaka. Her chapter books include the Toys series, illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky; she is co-author of the Upside-down Magic series. Emily Jenkins lives in New York City.