Start by marking “Oh, No!” as Want to Read:
Oh, No!

Oh, No!

Jungle creatures try to help first Frog and then others out of a hole before Tiger gets them.
Published September 11th 2012 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Oh, No!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, No!

Start your review of Oh, No!
Wendy Darling
This is definitely a picture book more suited for very young children, as the story is very simple and the language is sing-songy, with many repetitive phrases and rhymes and very few surprises. I think it'd be a nice book to read aloud for story time, complete with prompts for high-pitched sound effects by a valiant adult, though I'm not sure it's one that is destined to become a perennial favorite.

I very much like the illustrations, however, particularly the sly tiger and the grumbly bear. A
Melissa
Absolutely can not look through this book without wanting to read it out loud. Compelling rhythm and rhyme patterns that are not too slavishly kept, which keeps the text feeling organic with a rich oral quality. Rich vocabulary too, the less-familiar animals; the juicy sounds; varied word choices (sniffled, whopping, grumbled, groaned, slunk) that aren't too much of a stretch for a younger listening audience. And the way the last verse almost exactly echoes the first one...nice touch that helps ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Rohmann has tried a new palette, and his woodcut-style outlines really work with this content. This book has great rhythm, and poetic usage that makes it a great read-aloud choice. The rhythm reminds me of other great books that forego rhyme, but have a distinct cadence (Owl Babies by Waddell & Benson comes to mind). The repeated chorus also reminded me of Charlotte Pomerantz & James Marshall's Piggy in the Puddle (even though this one rhymes). The prosody choices for reading the ...more
Kate
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun, read-out-loud book for young children. Frog falls in a hole and all of these various animals try to help rescue him, but through a series of unfortunate events, they too fall in the hole!
Kacy Sutton
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Oh, No!” is about a little frog that falls into a huge hole. The hole happens to be right by where a tiger is sleeping. The frog is too little to jump out, so he calls for help. Different animals come along and try to help, but they end up falling in too. The tiger wakes up and looks down the hole. Instead of tiger seeing an opportunity to help the trapped animals out, he sees a nice, easy-to-catch meal. He leaps in, hoping to get some dinner, but elephant comes along in the nick of time to ...more
Rilee
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Oh, No!” is a story about a group of animals who get themselves into a very sticky situation. As they try to get out, the problem only gets worse. A prowling tiger heightens their anxiety. The illustrations in this book are colorful and the characters’ emotions show clearly on their faces. This book is a suspenseful page turner with a cliff hanger ending and is excellent for children of many reading levels.

This would be a great book for a research project lesson. Children will choose an
MacK
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of childish glee in a book like Oh, No! chock-a-block as it is with adorable animals and a Just-So-Story vibe. The text is jaunty and rhythmic, bleeding its way easily into a sign-song patter that almost demands you to read it aloud, even in the privacy of your own home (with no one to appreciate your story telling bravado but a permanently underwhelmed pair of pets).

Suddenly, the story ends and all your adult cogitating and over-analysis gives way to the fact that you just read a
Alexandria
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A tiger is hungry and looking for a tasty treat. First he chases a frog into a deep hole, “Oh, No!” he exclaims. How is he to get out? Animal after animal attempts to help, but one after another they follow behind, joining the previous into the deep, deep hole. Meanwhile, Tiger lurks in jungle waiting to make his move and devour them all! In the end, he himself winds up in the hole while the others get rescued by an elephant.

This is a cute story that young readers will love! It teaches the
Barbara
One by one, several animals end up in a hole so deep that they cannot get out without help. A frog, a mouse, a loris, a sun bear, and a monkey all try and fail to get out of that hole. In the end, an elephant saves the day, rescuing them all from the hungry tiger who has been lurking nearby. Young readers will love the wonderful animal sounds used throughout the book. For instance, the tiger licks his teeth with a "slop-slurp! Slop-slurp!" (unpaged). Anyone reading this one aloud will also enjoy ...more
Jessica
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had looked forward to Oh, No! for quite some time, ever since I had read tons of positive and starred reviews on it. I definitely think I'm in the minority on this, but I thought it was just ok. I really did enjoy Caldecott-winner Eric Rohmann's illustrations--they were simple yet vibrant. But the text left me wanting. It's very repetitive, and not in a good way. There's definitely a place for repetition in picture books; it helps children to learn words and phrases. But the phrases repeated ...more
Alli
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh, No, wrote by Candace Fleming I feel is a very good candidate for the 2013 Caldecott-winner. This vibrant book would be delightful for all young children. The repetitive tone and also the amazing artwork within the book will draw children’s attention. This would be an astonishing read aloud for a younger classroom! I really enjoyed how Fleming put sounds of each animal intertwined into the book, I feel as if children would find it funny and entertaining to hear there teach talk in such funny ...more
Lindsey Rakich
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I came across the cover of this book and was immediately drawn. I LOVED THIS BOOK. It was beautifully illustrated and written! It starts of with a frog falling into a hole in the rain forest and various animals try and help rescuing him, but through a series of unfortunate events, they fall into the hole too! They all exclaim Oh No! The animals are all very intricate and created perfectly. The great rhythm and poetic usage makes it a perfect read-aloud. Children will love having the opportunity ...more
paula
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
KINDERGARTEN THEATER AHOY!

And the only problem with watching adorable children pretend to be a mouse and a sun bear and a slow loris and pretend to fall down a hole and then all call out "Oh no!" would be... not getting to see the excellent Eric Rohmann illustrations. These are illustrations executed in a greeny earthtone palette, dappled with filtered sunlight and stroked with brushy highlights.

I like Eric Rohmann as much as the next sentient mammal (which is to say a lot), but this is his
Heidi-Marie
As I read this, storytime ideas insisted on coming to mind. This could be very fun. Great illustrations to entertain the children as well as help them figure out what is happening in the story. I think this will work well. Can't wait to have the kids cry out "Oh No!" every time!

4/24/13 & 4/25/13: Good, but not as great as I imagined. The groups kind of picked up on saying "oh no" with me, but not enthusiastically. However, they did like looking for the tiger on the pages. And in both groups
Cheryl
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know if kids would like this better than I, but it took me awhile to get from my library as it seems it's always checked out. I like the art quite a bit, but I kept thinking that there was going to be a twist in the story, like the tiger was going to rescue the smaller animals (and not eat them) or something. But no, nothing original except the begging-to-be-read-aloud rhythm and repetitions.

Still, I loved that the animals weren't typical barnyard cliches, and I like the epilogue (view
Karen A.
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lush, vibrant, and strongly outlined characters help illustrate this fablesque story. Children will love the many opportunities to assist each creature with their individual cries (frog yells Ribbitoops as he falls into a large hole)and then join in the chorus of Oh No!! as each one realizes their plight. They will also take equal pleasure in the crafty tigers eventual cry of Oh No! as the tables are turned. This would pair nicely with "Monkey: A Trickster Tale from India" for a nice jungle ...more
Dolly
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, rhyming, 2012
This is a fun book to read aloud. The rhyming, rhythmic, and repetitive narrative is perfect for young audiences and the illustrations are comic and colorful. The story lends itself nicely to a group read, where children will be ready to add an enthusiastic "Oh, no!" at the right place.

We loved the different animals in this tale and hypothesized about the setting of the book. Even though the level of this book is a bit young for our girls, we enjoyed reading it together.
Dov Zeller
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, kids
At first I was a bit annoyed by the repetitiveness and simplicity, especially perhaps after having read several really lovely picture books (many of them over and over again) with a 4 year old who's favorite books right now are "Chloe and the Lion", "Bee-Wigged" and "Goldilocks and Just One Bear." But there's a quiet (sly?) wit, and the art is great and I've always enjoyed folk-tales. I don't see this one becoming a favorite, but I'm glad I got it out of the library.
Adrienne Pettinelli
Oh, the illustration of the tiger clinging to the branch for dear life--perfection! The book is so beautifully designed, too, with just the perfect kind of paper to showcase Rohmann's illustrations. And did you catch the jacket flap bleeding into the endpapers? Clever, clever. Fleming's language is wonderful to read aloud. Just love the whole thing.
Maria Burel
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations in this book are stunning, and take up the entire space on each page. Chock full of onomatopoeia and action verbs, it's a fun story to read aloud. Young readers will have to pay extra attention to the illustrations, as some parts of the story are explained only through the pictures.
Tricia
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm putting together a Tiger story time and this one looks like a good fit! All of the animals fall into a big hole in the ground, while Tiger lurks in the background. All of the animals are scared when Tiger looms over the pit with a hungry grin and offers to pull them out. Thankfully, they're all saved by a big elephant, who incidentally knocks Tiger into the pit!
Holly Mueller
This reminded me of the opposite of Stuck by Oliver Jeffers. One by one jungle animals fall in a hole, in danger of a hungry tiger pouncing upon them. Fortunately, an elephant saves the day! Kids will enjoy the animal sounds. I will use this in our word play unit for onomatopeoia.
Terry Smith
Jun 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book has nice pictures but the story is so wrong! A tiger pit is used and then the tiger is left in it. And we are suppose to feel good about that? I don't think so! I would not read this in any classroom.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
My second graders loved this book. They loved the repeating lines and pictures. They also pointed out the onomatopoeia and exclamation points. We had just talked about exclamation points. Great book and I love the surprise ending!
Samantha
A variety of animals fall into a hole that's too large to escape. Familiar refrains, animal noises, and repetition make this a GREAT read aloud. Illustrations are excellent and display each animal's distinctive markings in a soft way. Must see/read!
Crysta Hall
Dec 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I hated this book! I found the underlined message is to bully those who may not be your best friend.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A fabulously fun collaboration, perfect for reading aloud.
Lori
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Loved it. Simple, rhythmic, rain forest, great illustrations.
Stacy268
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I can already picture my classes performing this choral style. A cumulative tale of sorts, where the animals of the jungle fall down in a hole one after the other, as tricky tiger watches on.
Crystal
Can't wait to read this one aloud with all of the fun animal sounds.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Boot & Shoe
  • Grandpa Green
  • Bark, George
  • Kitten's First Full Moon
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Just Because
  • Small in the City
  • If You Give a Mouse an iPhone: A Cautionary Tail
  • Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
  • Seven Blind Mice
  • One Cool Friend
I have always been a storyteller. Even before I could write my name, I could tell a good tale. And I told them all the time. As a preschooler, I told my neighbors all about my three-legged cat named Spot. In kindergarten, I told my classmates about the ghost that lived in my attic. And in first grade I told my teacher, Miss Harbart, all about my family's trip to Paris, France.

I told such a good