Start by marking “Wedgieman: A Hero Is Born” as Want to Read:
Wedgieman: A Hero Is Born

Wedgieman: A Hero Is Born (Wedgieman)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  99 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In The Adventures of Wedgieman: A Hero Is Born, young readers will follow Veggiebaby from his humble beginnings on his journey to becoming Veggieman. Um, make that Wedgieman, since that's what the kids in the neighborhood all call him. Let's face it—children aren't the best spellers and, well, wedgies are a lot cooler than veggies!

But it's not all cauliflower and carrot st
Published August 7th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wedgieman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wedgieman

Karen A.
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Never mind that Bob Shea is a favorite illustrator of mine... Wedgieman is great writing for the Early Reader set. Lots of good humor - like Wedgieman actually starts as Veggie Man but due to a V shaped stick stuck on his outfit the kids see W - and hence he becomes Wedgieman. Not to worry lots of veggies accompany the inevitable wedgie. Definitely high interest.
Megan Billick
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story, very funny and entertaining for kids. I loved it.
Katie Fitzgerald
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wedgieman: A Hero is Born is a level 3 easy reader from Random House’s Step into Reading series. (In this series, Level 3 is for readers who can read independently, and the back of the book promises engaging characters, easy-to-follow plots, and popular topics.) Though the title suggests comparisons to the Captain Underpants series, I am happy to report that Wedgieman is somewhat less gross than the famed chapter book hero. In fact, Wedgieman starts out as Veggiebaby, then Veggieboy, and finally ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I love the things Charise Mericle Harper and Bob Shea have done. So I was excited to read this particular easy reader. Basically Veggie Man is a kid who loves vegetables. And he has super powers. He had to practice his superpowers in order to actually be good with them, but he worked and became Veggie Man…a superhero who wanted to help others love vegetables too. When a kid was stuck in the top of a tree, he flew up to save the day. Then he gave the kid a bunch of carrots. However, while he was ...more
Sylvia
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
A funny book with nice illustrations, suitable for children age 6 - 8 years old who are reading on their own.

One day a superhero was born. His name is Veggiebaby. He loves vegetables. All those vegetables made Veggiebaby very healthy, so he grew fast and one day he turned into Veggieboy.

Veggieboy practices his superhero skills. It was not easy but he keeps trying until he succeed.

After a while, he turned into Veggieman. He is a grown-up now so he uses his superhero skill to help other people. O
Fjóla
A humorous early reader, that's actually slightly funny in places, and so are the illustrations. Note that I may be rating it higher because I can't help but compare with Tales for Very Picky Eaters, which we found somewhat lame ...
Joenna
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindergarten, 1st-2nd
Veggieboy practices flying, lifting, and helping people to hone his superhero skills, and finally Veggieman's training as a superhero is complete, but he is surprised when children want to change his name.

So excited for this new early reader series that will be perfect for boys!
Sharon
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
A disappointing beginning to an early reader series which is likely to appeal to the Captain Underpants set. Unfocused, confusing plot. The idea has potential so I will read others in the series with interest.
Kathleen
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
You had me at "Wedgieman."

Seriously, though, I feel like this is a good one to recommend to kids who are about to branch into Captain Underpants but aren't there yet (or who need a Captain Underpants read alike!)
Steven
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a thoroughly enjoyable book to read aloud with my 3 year old. His laughs make it even more fun, and the reread factor only gets tiresome when he wants to reread the book more than 3 times in one sitting. He could be stalling his bedtime...or he really just enjoys this book.
Morris
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"I liked when Veggieman helped that kid when he got stuck in that tree."
Kristen
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, easy-reader
Goofy humor and a fun, silly story.
Stacy
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So cute and funny! Would be great for read-aloud too.
Rosanna
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
surprisingly good.
Brittany
Jan 21, 2017 marked it as zekes
My little
Boy really enjoyed this book. Probably because he likes the word wedgie
Robin
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Funn story and pictures. Young boys are sure to love rading this one.
PWRL
Mar 20, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Andy
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pretty awesome kids book.
Kate
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Definitely better than I thought it would be.
Ensignlibrary
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best new Early Reader book ever. I was laughing out loud. LOVED IT!!
Kim Heimbuch
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
May, 2013- Review coming soon to my new website and will also be posted here. www.musingwithcrayolakym.com
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a silly book that you wonder why it was named Wedgieman. I am glad you don't find out until you are almost done with the book.
Syl Sora