Start by marking “The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh” as Want to Read:
The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh

The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh

This is a collection of powerful and inspiring teachings in an appealing, convenient pocket-size book from one of today's most important and beloved spiritual teachers, the Zen Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh. Next to His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh is the best-known Buddhist teacher in the world, and his teachings have touched millions.

Thich Nhat Hanh is known
Published September 11th 2012 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh

Start your review of The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh
Ken
Maybe, like me, you've taken a glance at the Thich Nhat Hanh shelf (bowing under the weight of its enlightenment) at the bookstore. And maybe you've been overwhelmed by the question of which one to choose.

The Pocket Thich Nhat Hanh, turns out, is a Reader's Digest Abridged (or Buddhism for Dummies, maybe) way to cheat. You get excerpts---all two to three pages---from all of the venerated Vietnamese monk's books (or at least a whole bunch of them).

Editor Melvin McLeod chose to divide the book in
One
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021
Loved, loved, loved this book! I love how it is so concise, yet contains so much insight and direction. This book takes the some of the best messages that he has shared and puts them into one easy to read book. This should be required reading for every person on the planet. The information is just that good and can be used for spreading peace, compassion, and in creating a better world. Two thumbs way up! I also found many wonderful quotes in this book.
Lisa
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I keep this book in my purse. This is the best primer on mindfulness I’ve ever read. This book will allow me to lead a happier, more fulfilled life. I will read and reread it for years to come.
Iona  Stewart
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book, as are all this master’s books.

It is a tiny book, which is not very practical for reading, but then again it is really a practical size to put in your pocket and carry around with you.

There are four sections – mindfulness, enlightenment, emotions and relationships, and peace.

The author informs us of the importance of resting .

When we do sitting or walking meditation we should be resting. “The Buddha said, ‘My practice is the practice of non-practice.’”

Sitting is for the
Kenzie
Martin Luther King Jr. nominated him for a Nobel Peace Prize. And I can see (read) why.
Learning Buddhist principles on living how to live a meditative, peaceful, joyful life. Dealing with anger and anxiety. Practical exercises make this book another must have.
Vicky
Mar 26, 2022 rated it really liked it
I am currently breathing more slowly, calmly, patiently, thanks to this pocket edition of Thich Nhat Nanh's writing. I didn't expect to read him so soon, but learning more about him was on my mind since he died earlier this year and a friend + Ocean Vuong had posted about what he meant to them.

The book is organized into four themes: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, Emotions & Relationships, and Peace. The blurb and editor's introduction prepares the reader for simple writing that should not be taken
Nguyễn Thuỳ Linh
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second book from Master after Neo ve cua y. Step by step I learnt from his lessons and absorb his ideas.
This book is written in different short sections, so short that I feel really comfortable reading it.
I learnt a lot of how to be mindful and live each moment of my life as it should be. Carpe diem?
Live life to the fullest, for each moment.
Etienne
Nov 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smart little book that give you some insight from Thich Nhat Hanh. Some a more about thinking and some about practicing. All of them are really short, two pages for most of them, so it makes the perfect book to read here and there, one insight each days, or each week and then thinking or practicing it. Well done like always with the Shambhala collection.
Bailey McDuffie
Apr 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This shit is going to be strapped on me at all times
S.q. Ng
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of those books you pick up when you're down in the dumps, experienced a trauma, trying to get yourself out of it. Love how concisely this was written and it definitely had the ability to pierce through my mind's fog to get me back to mindfulness. Another good reminder kind of books. ...more
John Stanifer
Apr 19, 2022 rated it really liked it
I've seen the late Thich Nhat Hanh's name in passing for years but was woefully ignorant of his life and work until now.

I saw this pocket volume of his writings near the cash register at a favorite bookstore, found myself flipping through it and being impressed by the simple profundity of many of his sayings, and knew I wanted to buy it.

I'm not a Buddhist--I was raised Christian and still hold to those beliefs--so some of Hanh's more (for lack of a better adjective) theological statements expres
James
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I had heard from friends of Thich Nhat Hanh, about his life story being exiled from Vietnam and his teachings on Buddhism. I had been interested in Buddhism and mindfulness and thought this would be a great introduction, it was.

I read this book a chapter or two a day, interspersed with my other readings/books. Most chapters were 1-2 pages, so it was very easy to fit in. Which is probably good, since the messages themselves are rather deep on an intellectual or spiritual level.

This book is a ser
Courtney
Jan 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mental health has drastically improved in my late 20’s. I was raised without religion. When speaking with one of my friends, (lawyer with major in philosophy), he notified me that a majority of my thought processes and beliefs were Buddhist is origin. I decided to grab with off my shelf after thich nhat hanh’s death. Upon reading I see what my friend was saying. I appreciated how closely my values aligned with those in the pocket. I learned a thing or two and I always appreciate knowledge tha ...more
Ruth
I've never read any of Thich Nhat Hanh's books before. It is full of wisdom and it details how to live a simple and happy life. In line with Buddhist teachings, it teaches of compassion, peace and enlightenment.
There are some profound statements that when they hit you, they seem like the answers you need.
I'll definitely be checking out more of his books.
Abby
Jun 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Masterful. A collection of wisdom poured on to each page yet stated so simply that a connection to the teachings is natural and effortless. This is a wonderful collection to read over time, a couple pages here and there then let the concepts absorb.
Zach Hollingshad
Jul 18, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Infinite amount of wisdom to everyday life in a pocket sized book. I could not ask for anything better!
Rory Lilley
Aug 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book, potentially life changing
Laurel Johanson
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful words of wisdom from one of the world's greatest spiritual leaders.

Thich Nhat Hanh is probably one of the wisest people to have ever graced the Earth.

The Pocket serves as a testament to that. Virtually every page is filled with insights so accessible that you don't need to be a Buddhist or even religious (I'm not) to appreciate. The book's wide range of topics include mindfulness, death, peace, fear, love, and relationships.

Here are a few examples:

"If you are a poet, you will see cl
Joseph
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
"By living your life, by producing works of art, you contribute to the work of the collective awakening of our people. A bodhisattva is someone who is awake, mindful, and motivated by a desire to help others to wake up. The artist, the actor, the film-maker, the novelist may be inspired by a desire to become a bodhisattva, helping with the awakening of the people, helping them to touch the seed of joy, of peace, of happiness in themselves, helping them to remove and transform the seeds of discri ...more
Anna
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is such a beautiful and deep book. The concept of interbeing is so amazing. I was also truly shaken by the idea that the book i was holding is actually a representation of the whole universe and its history. Wow! What a book!
Eric
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Simple. Direct. Peace is every step.
Barry Clark
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this book.

For me, Thich Nhat Hanh writes about Zen Buddhism perfectly. In this book he uses precisely the right words, with precisely the right tone, with just the right balance of connecting practically with modern western life.

I’ve been looking for a concise, powerful, and snackable book on mindfulness applied to everyday life to revisit frequently. This hits that need. It’s split in to small segments, each one roughly 2 minutes to read and addressing a specific point. With segments group
Victoria Foote-Blackman
I always like to keep a small pocket reader of some kind in my purse for those moments when you're stuck at the muffler service or in a doctor's waiting room, and as a passionate admirer of Thich Nhat Hanh this seemed a natural. So I have carried it off and on with me at different times, delving into it for a few minutes at a time. So it has literally taken me years to finish reading it.

This pocket edition is a fine little book for the beginner, offering much earnest and loving advice, but somet
Elisabeth
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My copy was less than 200pgs. This is a great read that more elegantly identifies and expresses thoughts I have been having, myself, for quite a long time. There is so much to think about on each page. I read the whole book to get an overview of what it contains in the separate sections, but this is a book you will have to revisit to read each excerpt individually and give yourself time to ponder it. It will enrich your life and help you refocus yourself towards your full potential. I am not Bud ...more
Tere
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has really helped drive home the concept of mindfulness and nonself. Some popular stories that I believe come from suttas are explained much better than the other sources I have encountered. It presents a great foundation for these core concepts. Given there are 70 books by this author start with this summary of his work, so that you can get started. Not excessively deep, but still deep. Don’t judge it through quotes, because they can be confusing without his explanations. Let the two page ch ...more
Stephanie Thoma
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
First of all, this is the perfect size to fit into my purse when most standard sized books won't. Great subway read when you have only a few stops. A little preachy at times, but overall great nuggets o' wisdom!

Like:
- if you accept non-permanence, you must accept non-self, they are the same
- there is no birth or death, only manifestation and hiding. This second thought alleviates suffering.
- the true nature of love is unborn and undying
- deep understanding makes for deep love. if you claim to de
Patrick Thorpe
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This book has a lot of nice quotes & statements inside that are all there to make our lives more mindfully. The book consists of many different small topic in life and puts the Buddhist perspective to it.

In the end it’s all about being mindful and understanding that everything is interrelated (Cause & Effect) and that thus we should only spread the positive things, so we get the positive things back.
Hiroko Ortiz
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book gives me a broad view and understanding of Thich Nhat Hanh' teaching yet it contains many good pieces of info in this tiny book. I have many parts that are highlighted and notes of my own.

I love the sources section in the back so I can get the original book where the teaching comes from to expand my understanding.

This is one of those books that I will keep going back to especially when I want a quick refreshers.
Kate Lawrence
These well-chosen selections from the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh are just the right length to read before bedtime to let go of any stress from the day's activities. Or at any other time of the day for a quick bit of calm support. Very practical and useful.
If a reader wants to see the longer passage from which a particular selection was excerpted, it is easy to know where to find it by checking the "Sources" list, with exact page numbers, in the back of the book.
Ritika Rana
Jan 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gem. Thich Nhat Hanh mastered in the art of telling harshest truths of life in simplest words. I am deeply grateful to have come in contact with his wisdom and teachings which is transforming my life for better. This Pocket book is filled with words and teachings of true gem. Urge you to read this umpteen times to make those teachings a part of your life and realize their beauty on your own.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Pocket Pema Chodron
  • Muôn Kiếp Nhân Sinh: Many Lives Many Times
  • The Art of Peace
  • Muôn Kiếp Nhân Sinh tập 2
  • The Way of Zen
  • Read People Like a Book: How to Analyze, Understand, and Predict People’s Emotions, Thoughts, Intentions, and Behaviors (How to be More Likable and Charismatic Book 1)
  • The Road to Character
  • Discourses and Selected Writings
  • Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza
  • ആടുജീവിതം | Aatujeevitham
  • Hành Trình Về Phương Đông
  • Building a Life Worth Living: A Memoir
  • Con đường Hồi giáo
  • Tightrope: Americans Reaching for Hope
  • Love for Imperfect Things: How to Accept Yourself in a World Striving for Perfection
  • The Dhammapada
  • Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness
See top shelves…
Thích Nhất Hạnh was a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lived in southwest France where he was in exile for many years. Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary ...more