Start by marking “ABC Dentist” as Want to Read:
ABC Dentist

ABC Dentist

From Appointments, Bibs, and Cavities through X-rays and how to combat icky Yellow film on teeth, this book takes kids on a reassuring tour of a trip to the dentist's office. Bright, friendly collage artwork pairs with informative facts on equipment and procedures. This new edition includes an addendum with activities, frequently asked questions, and suggestions for parent ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Blue Apple Books (first published August 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about ABC Dentist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ABC Dentist

Andrea Cain
A bit lengthy for a young child. I do think this is a good alphabet book. I think children are typically afraid of the dentists office and this is a good book to read to help children associate feeling safe at the dentists. I think it can help children associate this fun book with being at the dentists.
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read for your child prior visit to Dentist to ease any fears. Reviewing A, B, C’s, learning about flossing, cavities (we call sugar bugs), how many teeth we have and how our teeth have different shapes and roots. A lot of learning in this book. More than just a one time read for sure.
Karla Winick-Ford
I need this book in my classroom- rich vocabulary well explained
illustrations were different.. a zillion times better than other dental books- A+
Ruth Ann
Smiling faces and explanations of dental vocabulary accompany collage art illustrations in this ABC book designed for the older child's visit to the dentist.
Ages 5-8
Karen
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Maybe for kids more in the 4-6 year range.
Mark Burnett
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lled
Title: ABC Dentist
Author: Harriet Ziefert
Illustrator: Liz Murphy
Genre: Alphabet Book
Themes: Alphabet, hygiene,
Opening line/ Sentence: Appointment It's important to have an appointment with the dentist at least once every year, and sometimes twice, if your dentist recommends it.
Brief book summary:
The book goes through each letter of the alphabet naming different vocabulary terms that one would find at the dentist. The book also defines these vocabulary terms so that children can be more fami
April Dawn
Book Title: ABC Dentist: Healthy Teeth from A to Z

Short Description of the Book: This is an informational text that uses the alphabet to explain what happens on a trip to the dentist office.

FOCUS: Features I would Use in a Mini-Lesson:
1-Structure: Description- I would use this book to look at how to write an ABC book on a specific topic. We would discuss the main idea and details of each page.
2- Informational Text Features- Diagrams with labels, Captions, Technical Language, Main Ideas, Suppor
Beth
The title ABC Dentist pretty well tells the reader what to expect from this book. Each letter of the alphabet names one word related to the dentist, teeth, or mouth, followed by a short explanation of the word in relation to healthy teeth. Some of the words included are gums, orthodontist, and plaque. While many children will first visit the dentist around age 3 or 4 this book is geared toward a slightly older audience. It could be simplified for the toddler crowd, but preschool children and you ...more
Bailey New
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This cute alphabet book, goes through the different parts of being at the dentist office. It gives great informative facts on equipment and procedures that are used in the dentist office. This fun alphabet book could be one of many starter books aging from grades K-2, the words are easy to understand (if they have gone to the dentist before), but this book has a few bigger words that this age of children might not know how to pronounce or know the meaning. An activity that practices letter ident ...more
Rachel
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ABC Dentist by Harriet Ziefert was a great way to explain what a trip to the dentist entails. Each letter of the alphabet is linked to a word that is related to a trip to the dentist or the mouth. This is great because it makes it a fun way to learn about going to the dentist before the child actually goes. This will make them more prepared for what is in store for them and they will be way more well informed.

This story is geared towards slightly older kids. I say this because words like "ortho
Jennifer Johnson
ABC Dentist: Healthy Teeth from A to Z is an informational children’s book about going to the dentist. It tells the reader what to expect at the dentist by using the alphabet to explain different aspects of it with an explanation of it and how to have healthy teeth.

This book is child friendly and can make going to the dentist less intimidating. Also, using the alphabet to explain the different parts is a fun and engaging way to learn. The illustrations are colorful and accompany the text very w
Heather Johnston
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book that highlighted different elements of the dentist. I could use this book to teach content as well as model the structure of an alphabet book.

CO: 2008

Genre: Information and Concept
Chris
This book outlines many of the things that kids would encounter at the dentist in an easy to access format. From describing parts of the teeth to discussions of instruments and machines used at the dentist, kids will get an idea of what awaits them so that they are more prepared for their visit.
Jen
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We found this book at the dentist's office while we were waiting for my child's first appointment. It was a fun way to introduce him to some of the things he might encounter. I also learned some things from reading this book.
Literacy Group
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 1-2
Shelves: informational
This book explains what a dentist appointment entails so you will know exactly what to expect. It teaches the importance of flossing and brushing your teeth to prevent cavities. Additionally, it describes how a dentist can get your teeth extremely clean.
Service Room 12
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the book because I like x-Ray and a special picture of our teeth and jaw.x-Ray pictures are fun for me.i like the book.By Taylor
Tara
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fromthelibrary
It's a nice introduction to the dentist but the print is so tiny! In ABC style - A is for appointment, B is for Bib and C is for Cavity - you are ready for your first visit!
Salsabrarian
An accessible, informative introduction to dental care and visiting the dentist, written in a supportive tone. There is also "ABC Doctor."
Heather
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty & unique illustrations with some ABC facts about the dentist that even I wasn't aware of. Great for kids :)
Jackie
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun ABC book where the X entry actually makes sense! Colorful, animated illustrations accompany the informational text.

Used for "Let's Go to the Dentist" storytime-January, 2010.
Steph
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very wordy, but the idea of an ABC book about dentists is awesome.
Sarah Goodwin
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alphabet-books
This book would be a great read aloud and bring in a dentist to talk about teeth!
Carren
Ray Michaels
rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr