Start by marking “Night of Fire (St. Ives Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Night of Fire (St. Ives Family, #2)

Night of Fire

(St. Ives Family #2)

Lady Cassandra St. Ives had sworn off marriage ever since becoming a happy widow, but lately her affections have been engaged by a mysterious, long distance correspondent. Cassandra has shared her soul with her far-off admirer, and whe he invites her to visit his home she accepts the invitation gladly. Expecting a kindly of gentleman, Cassandra is stunned to find that Coun ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published December 1st 2000 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Night of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of Fire

Zumbagirl
Once in a while a book comes along that really takes my breath away - it's hard to describe how or why it happens, but it leaves me feeling awestruck - Night of Fire is exactly that book. An author can have a great story line, strong characters and dialogue - excellent ingredients. But when an author appeals to all of your senses and your heart in such a way that you are completely enveloped in the scenery and situation the characters are in - it's like you become part of the book. Beautifully w ...more
Mary B.
I completely devoured this book. It's hard to even describe how it made me feel. Such a beautiful and intense romance. Two things I love about Ms. Samuel's writing style is her ability to really make her readers feel the emotions that her characters are feeling, and she always gives her characters genuine, honest, REAL reasons to be in love. This is a rare and beautiful romance novel, and almost as excellent as "A Bed of Spices," which I adored.
Cecilia
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book kind of threw me right at the outset, and on reflection, I think I shouldn’t have read it. It starts with a dramatic emotional scene that is very short, then goes back 18 months. This next scene, with the heroine Cassandra, sets her gloomy mood and tells the reader that she has been corresponding with the hero, Basilio for two years. We find out about how wonderful these exchanges have been, but don’t get to see any great letters. We find out how brilliant she is at interpreting the ba ...more
Siany
Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Eugh! No idea why I stuck it out for the whole book...I skipped pages then chapters...it was pretty dire.

All characters apart from one were apparently "not" religious...but then all they talked about was their sin, his sin, what they were doing was a sin...blah blah blah then God was mentioned on practically every page. I feel like God was rammed down my throat in this.

But I kept reading on because surely it would get better.....nope! I should have given up.

I didnt like any of the characters, I
Barbara
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2011
Absolutely loved this book. Basilio is the true brooding hero who values honor, and loves deeply. Cassandra is strong, intelligent and his equal. The true hero is Analise, but a wonderful story. Too sad the author has stopped writing and this is her last romance book.
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review to come at Speaking of Audiobooks
Linda
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Cried buckets (sign of a good bk). Looking out for more of her bks
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance my-review-updated Summary
Lady Cassandra St. Ives, is a widow and is grateful for her status. Her marriage wasn't what she had dreamed about. She is ready to start a new chapter in her life, one where marriage will not be in her future. She desires to be a writer. But never expected to build a friendship with a man, who saw her writings and initiated contact. Over time, they have become close friends through letters. She believed Count Basilio to be a
Bibliophile
I am on a romance-novel reading tear at the moment for some personal reasons so ... I read the second in Barbara Samuel's (very short) series about the St. Ives family. (I STILL WANT TO KNOW ABOUT JULIAN AND GABRIEL, ARGH!) In this one, Cassandra, the bluestocking younger sister of The Black Angel's heroine Adriana, travels to Italy to meet her literary correspondent, whom she expects to be a middle-aged guy, but instead he turns out to look like this:

Cassandra, despite her own bad history with
Heroes & Heartbreakers
Basilio, Count Montevarchi, scholar and poet, is the most Romantic hero I’ve ever read. I’m talking Romantic with a capital “R:” extravagant emotion, an emphasis on honor and truth, idealism, seeing beauty in the ordinary, loving with one’s whole heart and being. These kinds of Romances are rare and I know some people can’t get into the over-the-topness of it, but Barbara Samuel served up a doozy of one for her last historical romance, Night of Fire, written in 2000.

Basilio has kept up a two yea
Katie(babs)
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Night of Fire is a classic love story by Barbara Samuel and one of her last before she decided to leave the historical romance genre all together. A story like this is refreshing and heart wrenching as our two lovers start out as friends and then realize their love is all consuming. In the hands of a less than experienced author, the characters would have been dull and stereotypical, but here they shine.

Cassandra is an English widow who was abused by her husband. But regardless of this, she has
Jenn
Oct 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Blech. I read the first in this series as a free offering for the Kindle and I really enjoyed it. So much so, that I added the next to my "to read" list. I found it recently at the used book store, so I picked it up.

No. It's the EXACT type of romance that turned me off of the genre for so long. It's overly flowery without an ounce of humor and tons of angst. For a long time, I thought that most romances were like that, so I didn't read them. These days, it's the rare one that comes to me that's
Peg Hughes
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

One of the most enjoyable books I have read of late and I read a LOT! Full of passions and the feel of Italy and the passion of real love battling through adversity. I have loved both books in this series as the family feels very real .Surely Ms Samuel we will hear Julians backstory and what happens to Gabriel ,Cleo and the others.
MrsMascara
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, sad melancholic quality to it. Loved both characters. So wish there were books about all the siblings, hope Barbara Samuels writes them!!
Amy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before this book, I had never read a Barbara Samuel book but this was recommended to me. I've also never read a romance book that takes place in Italy. Usually I stick with England/Scotland area.

This book makes me full of emotion and warmness! There are so many beautiful passages between Basilio and Cassandra. So much beautiful prose I kept note of some of my favorites.
For example: "A ripple went through her, an echo of the fierce, started hunger she'd felt, seeing him hurtle down the hill so in
Jane Davis
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I had great expectations for this book but about 1/4 of the way into it I was frustrated. Nothing was happening. The lovers went for walks, ate fruit, flirted, had trysts that were, up to that part, chaste but pomised to soon become steamy.

Drawn By Count Basillio's writing and poetry, Casandra St. Ives, a very contented widow, had come to Italy expecting a soul mate of a more advanced age. Count Basillio was expecting the same. He has been pledged since youth to a woman who wants to enter the c
The first half of this book gets 5 stars. The romance was one of the best i've ever read...very passionate and believable. I loved the two main characters. But halfway through the two are torn apart and then the melodrama takes over...and the story gets really repetitious. I felt that the story should have ended much sooner with a more satisfying conclusion. Yes, there's an HEA but after all the build up I felt let down.
Natalya
Oct 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: abandoned
Interesting premise, sexy Italian, intelligent lady, building tension... I read till the scene on the beach and then lost interest, especially as the count became a bit of a cad, plan to go back at some point
Frances Demartinez
Excellent

Reading this book made me feel a lot different feelings. I know whoever reads this book will enjoy it as much as I have
Kelly
Sep 25, 2017
Elaine
Sep 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family, #2; Lords of Conquest, #6)
  • The Cornish Heiress
  • Reforming Lord Ragsdale
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • Tapestry
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • A Hint of Wicked (James Family, #1)
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • When Love is Enough (The Brotherhood #1)
  • The Spinster & The Beast
  • Heart of the West
  • Winter Rose
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • Night in Eden
  • Simply Scandalous
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six

St. Ives Family (3 books)
  • The Black Angel (St. Ives Family, #1)
  • The St. Ives Family Series: Black Angel / Night of Fire