Start by marking “Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery (Bunnicula, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery (Bunnicula, #1)

Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery (Bunnicula #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  54,529 Ratings  ·  1,912 Reviews
This reissue of the classic story featuring the vampire rabbit celebrates the book's twentieth anniversary. Includes an essay by co-author James Howe on the origins of "Bunnicula."
Hardcover, 20th Anniversary Edition, 160 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Atheneum Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Bunnicula, please sign up.

Joy Smith He explains in the note on the inside back cover. He can't remember, but he was in his 20s watching vampire movies with his wife, and a name popped…moreHe explains in the note on the inside back cover. He can't remember, but he was in his 20s watching vampire movies with his wife, and a name popped into his head about that time.(less)

karen
while i read this, check out a vampire list i made over here - http://www.rifflebooks.com/list/21865...

OCTOBER

as part of my personal reading challenges for 2017, once a month i will be revisiting a favorite book from when i was a little bitty karen and seeing if it holds up to my fond memories and determining if i can still enjoy it as an old and crotchety karen.

fingers crossed.
Brandon Sanderson
(This review is from 2004.)

Since it’s Halloween, I thought I’d talk about something frightening: Bunnies. Vampire bunnies. Ninja vampire bunnies. Okay, so, maybe not that ninja part. But definitely vampire bunnies—one in particular.

So, my roommate (Mr. “I’m not in there!” from the other week) was recently given a collection of young adult books as a birthday present. Most of the stack didn’t interest me, but I did notice one specific volume in the pile. I remember reading Bunnicula as a child, a
Alex
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hear me out: there is no Bunnicula. This is about the cat.

His name is Chester. He has schemes and a vivid imagination, as cats do. He's steeped in Gothic literature. Here's my Gothic Drinking Game if you need a refresher, and notice how Bunnicula will get you drunk:

- Nasty weather
- Fainting (in our first hint that Bunnicula may not be the villain, he is usually the fainter)
- Creepy noises
- Scary eyes
- And the most important thing: a relative turns out to be the surprise villain.

Here's what we
Melissa Storm
It’s only month #2 of the “books that made me love reading" challenge, and already, I’m noticing a pattern. Last month, I re-reviewed Harold and the Purple Crayon, a book that has had a profound influence on my life. I freely attribute my creativity to the inspiration I received from this happy little picture book, and now I realize that this month’s book, Bunnicula, has had an equally large impact on my life and personality.

Bunnicula made me smart. Seriously, it did.

Yes, I’m raising serious nat
Edward Lorn
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A blast from my past that is still epic to this day. One of my first horror reads, too. Bunnicula and My Teacher is an Alien are why I started writing stories when I was younger. I read those two books and thought, "Hey, I can do this!" The rest is history.

In summation: Find it. Read it. Pass it down through the generations.

Final Judgment: Highly recommended for all ages.
Kelli
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, audio
Bunnicula, written by Harold the dog and starring Chester the cat, was well-received by my kids on a recent trip north. It was short, silly, and featured hi jinks of the best kind. Chester is one high brow cat! Extremely well-read and quite impressed with himself, he makes frequent literary references and he sees no reason to dumb down his language for Harold and as a parent, I loved that. I chuckled at his barbs and sarcastic comments, as well as his paranoid ideas about the bunny. Chester stol ...more
Amy
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-hearts
Hilarious and delightful read! I'm a sucker for books narrated by animals. With a Dracula theme and a snarky cat, how can you lose?!
Kayla Edwards
Just read this novel with my elementary book club. The kids found the idea of a vampire bunny hysterical. This book's popularity has been making a comeback lately with all of the vampire hype in recent years. And I must say, my favorite part of the entire novel may be the Editor's Note at the beginning.
Michelle Isenhoff
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first met Chester and Harold as a kid and fell in love with them. If you haven’t encountered these two yet, let me introduce you. Chester is a highly educated cat with a vivid imagination. One of his delights is to listen to his owner, a college English professor, practice class lectures. He’s widely read, and especially favors Edgar Allen Poe. Harold isn’t quite as intellectual as Chester, but he does have a good deal more common sense. He’s also the one who wrote and delivered the first manu ...more
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*
I had completely forgotten about reading this book as a child until a conversation with my best friend likening someone to a bunny with red eyes and fangs. Whereupon she said, wait, I'm pretty sure that's actually a book isn't it? She looked it up and yes, yes it was.

BUNNICULA is one of those children's books that I love! Literary references and large vocabulary words interwoven into an adorable little story. Although I had forgotten about this book, not hard to do when you book carnivore like
Rebecca McNutt
Bunnicula is hilarious! I loved it during the 5th grade when I read it over the summer, and nearly everyone I know enjoys it for its witty humor and quirky characters.
Mitticus
Charming and Funny.

The Monroes' kids didn't know what special rabbit they brought home.

Necesitaba con urgencia algo livianito con todas las tragedias pasando en The Fifht Season y esto fue justo lo que necesitaba. A pesar del titulo, no crean un intento de horror para niños (segun dice, esta pensado para 8 años para arriba ;P), sino que es más bien jocoso y escrito con mucho ingenio.

Cualquier cosa que me haga reir, tiene mucho valor para mí.

bunnicula_by_creampuf
"He's a vampire!" Chester snarled. "Today, vegetables.
Drebbles
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Howard the Dog and Chester the Cat enjoy living with their humans - Harold especially likes Toby who enjoys feasts that he shares with Harold. So when the family brings home a bunny they name Bunnicula, it isn't surprising that Harold and Chester are a bit jealous of the attention the family focuses on Bunnicula. But Chester's jealousy soon turns into the suspicion that Bunnicula is a vampire. He sets out to prove it - no matter what the cost.

Although "Bunnicula" is aimed at readers ages 8 - 12
Corinne
I remember hearing about this little "vampire" bunny when I was a kid, but the story never interested me. Shame on me, because I read it outloud to my two little boys this past week and had a ball. Our narrator is the loyal, if not slightly blustering, dog Harold. When their family discovers a WHITE tomato, Harold's scheming cat-friend Chester is convinced that the family's new bunny is the culprit. A juice sucking BUNNY? That is just funny, in fact, my boys were in hysterics more than once, tha ...more
Gail
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Introduced this book to my 4th grade class. Started out with overhead transparencies of Bela Lugosi as Dracula, and discussed common - held beliefs about vampires. After having the students complete a Vampire Worksheet, we dove into chapter 1, pausing for exciting vocabulary words.
A fun, fun read. Great for those kids who have a dry sense of humor. They'll appreciate the jokes. The rest enjoy reading about pets that are smarter than (or, at least as smart as)their humans.
Robert Kent
What makes a classic middle grade book a classic? I know I’ve reviewed some here, such as Watership Down, James and the Giant Peach, The Giver, and Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing. But what makes those books classics and new books, such as Savvy by Ingrid Law, likely to be but not yet classics? I don’t really know, but I think time has something to do with it, which is a crappy deal for writers. Classics are books that have endured over a particular period of time and if you’re an author hopin ...more
Chance Lee
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bunnicula is one of my all-time favorite kids' books. I checked out this twentieth-anniversary edition because it includes an almost 60-page appendix, "Writing Bunnicula: The Story Behind the Story."

Ah, this is perfect to read by the window while I sip my coffee this morning, I thought.

James Howe tells the story of meeting his wife and love of his life, Deborah. They thought they wanted to be actors. In headshots, Deborah looked like a young Linda Lavin. James, with his geekier-than-Bill Gates-
Aarika
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harold the dog and Chester the cat enjoy intelligent conversation, warm milk, and the occasional belly rub at the hands of their human family, the Monroe's.
Their quiet lives are turned inside out when the Monroe family brings home a small, white bunny with red eyes and a hand written note in an unknown language tied about his neck. The family names him Bunnicula.
Suspicions rise when vegetables begin to turn up white and drained of juice.
Chester, with the help of Harold, derives a plan to uncover
Devann
You know those books that you remember very fondly from childhood and then you go back and read them as an adult and you're like 'oh no, it's awful and boring now'? WELL THIS ISN'T ONE OF THOSE BOOKS! This was every bit as hilarious and entertaining as it was when I read it 18+ years ago and I'm so happy I decided to revisit it. Definitely a classic.
Tamara
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute little story! Perfect for young readers who like a bit of a darker tale without being too scary. Can't wait to read the rest of the series with my son.
Hollowspine
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
It's been many years since I read this book and I'm not sure if I actually read it myself or had it read to me.

My memories about the story were a bit different from what I experienced now re-hearing it (my brother read it to me while I drove him around Northern Minnesota and North Dakota). I remember feeling a bit more frightened the first time. Of course I was a child when I first heard it, but somehow I remembered it being a lot more chilling. I also remember it being a bit longer, but I suppo
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pet lovers
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Krena
Shelves: favorites
I love my used bookstore. I can't tell you how much I adore it. Because outside..... in the freebie pile... was a torn and tattered copy of Bunnicula!!!

I was ecstatic!!

I haven't read Bunnicula since I was in Middle School. My friend, Krena, got to go to all the cool places. Like bookstores and record shops and over the bridge way more than me. I mainly got my books from the library and grocery stores.

But why am I telling you this? Because it was Krena who showed me Bunnicula!

She told me I could
Jodi
May 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Third Graders - Fifth Graders
J.G. Keely
I had a bizarre obsession with this book as a diminutive child. There is a vague remembrance of myself dancing menacingly in an airport while my father's friend improvised (at my behest) a song on the topic on his guitar. It is unfortunate that the book was not written by a darker and stranger writer, for my love of the concept didn't really translate to the simple silliness of the books themselves.

Of course, I didn't want something evil and frightening, but a bit of Carroll's disturbance would
Lisa
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my two youngest daughters and we thought it was hilarious. There were many laugh-out-loud moments for all of us. We look forward to continuing with the adventures of Harold the dog, Chester the cat, and Bunnicula the vampire rabbit.
Naoms
By far my favorite book as a kid. Rivaled only by Green Eggs and Ham. I credit this book for introducing me to vampires.
Monster
Bunnicula is a classic scary story for kids. When the Monroe family finds a strange bunny in a theater showing Dracula, their cat, Chester, and dog, Harold, decide to investigate the aptly named Bunnicula. As if the bunny's strange markings and creepy red eyes weren't

enough, weird things start happening around him, like vegetables appearing completely drained of their juice. The lovably dim Harold and

too-smart-for-his-own-good Chester must figure out if Bunnicula really is a bunny-creature of th
Brenda
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Battle of the Books 2012
Shelves: fiction
One night the Monroe family is out watching the movie "Dracula" when they happen upon a small rabbit shivering in their son's seat. The family bring him home and introduce him to the rest of their family (Harold the dog and Chester the cat) as Bunnicula. Chester begins to notice a few strange things about Bunnicula (sleeps all day, disappears at night) but it could be all of those books that Chester reads that are making his imagination run wild. Chester is determined to prove that Bunnicula is ...more
point of view 1 1 Sep 24, 2017 05:28PM
Cardigan Mountain...: Bunnicula 9 7 Feb 11, 2017 07:15AM
  • The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1)
  • Serendipity
  • The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (Johnny Dixon, #2)
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • Catwings Return (Catwings, #2)
  • The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • Ribsy (Henry, #6)
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Snot Stew
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon
  • Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)
  • The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1)
Deborah Howe with her husband James Howe was the author of the classic children's tale Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery. After her death, the Bunnicula series was continued by James.
More about Deborah Howe...

Bunnicula (7 books)
  • Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • Bunnicula Strikes Again! (Bunnicula, #6)
  • Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow (Bunnicula, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“So, this is a rabbit, I thought. He sort of looks like Chester, only he's got longer ears and a shorter tail. And a motor in his nose.” 16 likes
“Harold: "It so happens I was discussing great works of literature with Toby."
Chester: "Since when is a Twinkies wrapper considered a great work of literature?”
4 likes