Start by marking “Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

(Y: The Last Man (Collected Editions) #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  97,176 ratings  ·  2,782 reviews
"Funny and scary … an utterly believable critique of society. A+"—THE WASHINGTON POST
"The best graphic novel I've ever read."—STEPHEN KING

"This year's best movie is a comic book."—“ALL THINGS CONSIDERED,” NPR

"A seriously funny, nuanced fable.... Grade A."—ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

Y: THE LAST MAN, winner of three Eisner Awards and one of the most critically acclaimed, best-selli
Published November 21st 2011 by Vertigo (first published January 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.
Donna Lombardo As an exploration of what could happen if all the men were gone. Sadly, not a very hopeful vision of an all-female society.

·  97,176 ratings  ·  2,782 reviews

Michael
In typical comic book male-centric fashion, this series wonders what life would be like if all men died spontaneously...except for one.

I suppose if we're trying to put ourselves in the head of an early-nineties comic book reading teen, this might feel innovative. Unfortunately, I find that innovative in the world of comics is pretty much Iron Age for the rest of literature. How does Vaughan manage to make a series with gender issues at its center so bizarrely sexist?

Example: In a world where a
Brad
So there's this thing that happens in post-apocalypse stories that I need to talk to you about.

You know how in a zombiepocalypse story we occassionally receive hints that it might be better for the women to stay safe so they can make babies? Usually it's only hints, and the male characters don't seem to want to offend the post-feminist sensibilities of the women, so instead the women tote guns and put their wombs at risk of becoming a zombie-buffet. But everyone gets along-ish, and there are us
Felicia
Feb 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ok so maybe it's just me but I found this series to be incredibly chauvinist. I know I'm gonna get flamed for it, so many ppl rave about it. I APPRECIATED IT but the premise and execution and what the women were doing, boy oh boy.

I'm gonna shut up and not review this. Check box'd.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

Yorick Brown is that guy who can't hold down a job. Plays with magic..and he is the last man on earth. Something has killed off everything male on the planet. He and his pet monkey are all that's left.

Now gangs of women called the Amazons, a bunch of Republicans and his brainwashed sister Hero are all wanting a piece of Yorick.

Either to kill him or mate him. He just wants to find his fiance in Australia.
This was a fun book. I thought it was going to go very political but quickly became a fun
Matthew
I discovered this series randomly while looking through graphic novels on Hoopla. I had never heard of it before but recognized the author. The premise sounded interesting (view spoiler) so I decided to give it a go.

I am glad I did! The story has been great so far! Every page had me interested in finding out what happens next. Also, of all the "apocalyptic" scenarios I have seen, this is the most creative by far.

I am looking forward
Rincey
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, comics
Well, I get why everyone LOOOVES this book but some of it just rubbed me the wrong way. Like I don't understand why the entire world just stops functioning completely. Are there no female engineers or scientists or electricians in the entirety of the world?
Whitney Atkinson
This book is such a neat concept, but there's 4 things I'm stuck on.

1. it's a book about a world run by women after all the men die, yet it's still told from the POV of a man because conveniently !!!! one survives. I think I would have loved this more if we were given a story of a world with just all women, because heaven knows we could survive without that one man.

2. This book was way, way, way, way more political than I was expecting it to be. The mother of the MC works in Washington so a lot
Nancy
I haven’t read a comic book since I was a child, saving my measly allowance for Archie and his friends. Once I discovered my mother’s Harold Robbins novels, I never went back to comics…until now.

A number of my Goodreads friends enjoy graphic novels (as they are called now), so I became curious and asked my friend Kemper for a recommendation. Y: The Last Man was perfect for me to start with. I love post-apocalyptic stories and wanted some light, easy reading between school books.

A plague that des
Irena
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story started out so well: fast-paced, intriguing..I can see it's a dude comic, the main character ends up being the last man left on a planet full of allll kinds of women! No matter what kind of an ugly twat you might wanna be, some woman will want you. Yessss!
I see half-naked blonde, beachy-style woman, some ex-models running around, army women, special op women, scientist women. That's ookayyy with me. It is a dude comic, after all, no?

Then came this:
Yorick (main char): I'm not afraid of
Brian Yahn
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Y: The Last Man has a great premise -- all males (of every species) suddenly die -- except one. The story focuses on the lone male survivor and is an unraveling of why / how he survived the mysterious scourge.

It helps that the last man standing is humorous and likable like so many of Brian K. Vaughan's characters. Also that he has this noble desire to make it to the other side of the world to reunite with his girlfriend (and repopulate the world). The story is essentially about all the things ge
Shannon
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if all the men, except one young man and his male monkey pet, were wiped out all over the world and nobody knew why exactly? That's the setup for volume one of this series that takes a look at gender issues and progressive science versus a natural order of things. I like that the explanation for the plague is not known and there are several possibilities.

There's a fair amount of mischievous style humor in the first volume. For instance, women commemorate the dead man at an obvious phallic
*Swaroop*
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
"In the summer of 2002, a plague of unknown origin destroyed every last sperm, fetus, and fully developed mammal with a Y chromosome..."

an interesting premise and a solid start... looking forward to the rest of the series...

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned is about the only man ("The Last Man") to survive a mysterious plague that wipes out every other male of all the species on the planet ("every mammal with a Y chromosome).

Estelle
Wow! I knew this was going to be good, but I'm actually blown away. I need Volume 2!!
Melki
If you are a woman,
You might have to sleep with me
Since I'm the Last Man on Earth
And there ain't nothing wrong with me

Loudon Wainwright III

Meet Yorick, an unemployed English major with moderate-to-poor computer skills. He lives on ramen noodles. And, oh yeah, his hobby is magic.

You probably wouldn't sleep with him if he was the...well, nevermind.

There he is, ladies - The Last Man on Earth.

The dating pool has just gotten a little smaller thanks to a mysterious plague that has wiped out all males,
Bruce
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, avid comics fans
Recommended to Bruce by: Washington Post comics blog commenter
I've read so much here and elsewhere about how brilliant this series is, and from the two books I've read, I'm afraid I can't agree. The concept (plague instantaneously kills all Y-chromosome mammals -- except a guy named Yorick and his pet capuchin monkey -- around the globe without warning) has tremendous promise. However, the execution in the two books I read (this one and Vol. 13) was pedestrian. Characterization, plot, and art were all two-dimensional. (By contrast, Judge Parker has more nu ...more
Neja
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is the first graphic novel I've read, so far. Because after this one..I'm hooked! Yorick is a young guy, wondering where is his place on this planet. He can't find a job, he loves magic and his girlfriend, Beth. She travelled to Australia, to be all smart and to gain some experiences in anthropology, so now Yorick is all alone, feeling like a loser, because he's not doing anything remotely as important as she and the rest of his friends do. He doesn't even want to go out of his apartment an ...more
Erin
Dec 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
so - while i realize that the premise of this book is supposed to be stunning in overturning the stereotypical assumption that women without men will create a feminist/lesbian utopia, a la Herland, by proposing that left to their own devices, women would act like a bunch of goomba guys, arm themselves and create civil war, strife, and general mayhem, can any of us really image a scenario in which large groups of women, left without men for extended periods of time, would NOT 1) hug a lot 2) lick ...more
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Ask a comic-book geek what the greatest graphic novel of all time was, and at least 9 out of 10 will tell you it's "Watchmen". And there's no denying Watchmen deserves the accolades it gets, as it quite effectively reinvented the graphic novel genre. However, if you asked THIS comic-book geek what the greatest graphic novel of all time was, and I would instantly tell you it's "Y The Last Man"!

The book starts out with an intriguing premise...a mysterious plague instantly kills off every man on th
J.G. Keely
A sort of reversal of the film 'Children of Men', Y the Last Man is sometimes difficult to take seriously. The storytelling itself is not bad, though it sometimes falls into the faults of Lost, with endless, predictable hardship. It is an interesting concept, and Vaughan at least connects himself tangentially to the literary tradition, but these connections are often too flimsy or too coincidental in construction.

The worst crime of all may be that one keeps feeling that Yorick is standing in as
Bradley
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid start to a series. Last man, one male monkey, and a whole world of women.

Fortunately, he's not much of a dick. Good with cracking locks and cracking jokes. I think he's going to leave the cracking of heads to his friends. :)

What is UP with those Amazons? Such a shame that people are people no matter what the sex. ; ;
Maxwell
Ok, so overall I thought this was very intriguing, and I definitely care enough about the story to want to read the next volume. However, I did have a few weird issues with some of the content and depiction of certain characters. Also, because this came out in 2002, there are some aspects of it that I find, for lack of a better term, politically incorrect, such as using the word 'retarded' as something negative. The characters are a bit one-note so far, but it is only the first issue. From what ...more
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
Maybe more like 3.5 stars, but this was pretty good. Yorick is a bit daft, but I have a feeling there's room for growth here.

It's the end of the world and somehow all the males are dead (except for Yorick and his male "assistant" shoulder monkey), and instead of a zombie apocalypse it's a bunch of raging female extremists who are the enemy. There's some political jokes aimed at everyone and a few pop culture references to appreciate.

I am definitely interested in continuing the series. I don't
Lᴀʏᴀ Rᴀɴɪ #BookDiet2019
This comic book series has received rave reviews for its rather satirical premise concerning the idea of the extinction of all mammals with the Y chromosome, and how the female population supposedly tries to deal with this global crisis. I've been intrigued by this series for four years now, but put off reading it even after I bought an actual copy about three years ago. It's a Vertigo title which immediately guarantees it's promising. Finally, I got to read the first volume Unmanned which colle ...more
Jamie
May 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I've finished the series (well, the first 9 books -- the 10th is unavailable to me), I'll write a bit about how I feel about the series as a whole.

I really wanted to hate this series. It is incredibly sexist in so many ways, and I started taking notes on some of the more ridiculous aspects of it so I would remember by the time I got around to writing this. My husband would find random pieces of paper scattered around the house and ask me what "factories stop working, no electricity, int
Angela
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics-comics
A world with no Y chromosome... more like the perfect world!... AM I RIGHT???!!? ;)

READ THIS REVIEW AND OTHERS OVER ON OUR BLOG:
Brandon
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the men are dead.

Yorick Brown remains after a mysterious virus eliminates every last thing with a Y chromosome. While he’s expected to do his part in figuring out why he survived, he’s mainly concerned with finding his would-be fiancé in the outback of Australia.

This would be my first experience in reading a graphic novel where the main character isn’t flying/swinging/driving around in spandex. For my first foray into the non-superhero genre, I probably couldn’t have chosen a better series.
Anna
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Y for the male chromosome (XX is for female). One day, suddenly all men die and after that the world goes on without them. One major problem is that men are needed for reproduction, so the world seemd to come to a certain (dead) end.

Our hero is a guy - who - unlike all the other men - is still alive, facing many problems.

I loved this series (as I really love other stories by Brian Vaughan) and I would definitely read more of it
Jenn(ifer)
So far so good! Volume 1 definitely piqued my interest enough to make me want to read Volume 2. And besides, the last man is HOT! What? I can't objectify the last man?

*****************
Some notes (these are mostly for me to be mindful of as I read the remaining volumes):

Yorick- Yorick's father was a Shakespeare buff and named Yorick and his sister after characters from Shakespeare's plays. The name Yorick comes from Hamlet; Yorick is the deceased court jester. He is represented in the play by a s
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok, I thought this would be a comic that portrayed women in a positive way but I was wrong. It's the complete opposite. The women are OH SO HELPLESS without the men. They have no electricity, little food and no proper security. Um why not? If all the men died tomorrow, us women would definitely be able to manage better than the women in this comic. It seems totally illogical to me but I'm willing to give it another chance so it can prove me wrong. I don't understand why the Amazons even exist bu ...more
Roxanne
All the men are gone, and there's a helper monkey!

However there is Yorick who is hilarious, i really love his humour a mix of 80s/90s references, littered with sarcasm he definitely keeps the story from getting too dark, as the women are literally losing their shit from the get go, like seriously it didn't take you lot two seconds before you decided to start a crazy ass gang and start murdering people.
Volume 1 doesn't get into the hows and whys, it's just setting up the premise of who yorick is

• Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • DMZ, Vol. 2: Body of a Journalist
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 8: Dirge
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 4: Leviathan
  • Invincible, Vol. 6: A Different World
  • Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Y: The Last Man (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)
“I'm not afraid of the world. I'm afraid of a world without you.” 27 likes