Start by marking “OCD Love Story” as Want to Read:
OCD Love Story

OCD Love Story

When Bea meets Beck, she knows instantly that he’s her kind of crazy. Sweet, strong, kinda-messed-up Beck understands her like no one else can. He makes her feel almost normal. He makes her feel like she could fall in love again.

But despite her feelings for Beck, Bea can’t stop thinking about someone else: a guy who is gorgeous and magnetic... and has no idea Bea even exis
Published July 23rd 2013 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about OCD Love Story, please sign up.
Kellie Williams yes, i'm just reading it, mild cursing though, nothing too bad. im in the 8th grade and its a 5th grade reading level book in my 7-8 grade library, so…moreyes, i'm just reading it, mild cursing though, nothing too bad. im in the 8th grade and its a 5th grade reading level book in my 7-8 grade library, so perfectly fine to read:)(less)
Dare You To by Katie McGarryThis Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. SmithJust One Day by Gayle FormanEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellThe Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
2013 Contemporary YA
205 books — 1,503 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,061 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess
I have OCD. It's a debilitating mental disorder that has ruined my life and my body. My OCD comes in the form of dermatillomania, which is essentially picking at my skin. My body is covered in tiny scars from when I've picked at my skin hard enough to bleed, and it's been a source of extreme anxiety and low self-esteem.

Now, we are told that Bea, the main character of this novel, has OCD. I picked up this book solely for that reason. I was so excited to read a character just like me.
But she wasn
Lexie
Feb 05, 2012 marked it as to-read
If this is gonna be called "OCD Love Story," the author had better get OCD right.

Or else.

description
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Good mental health books are very hard to come by, in my experience, they’re practically non-existent. OCD Love Story was 100% not perfect but it was good and with the lack of mental health books that aren’t complete trash out there, I’m satisfied with it being just good.

This book like every other book has its problem’s but I think it accomplished what it set out to do. OCD Love Story reads in a way that can only be described as uncomfortable, in the best way. While reading it, it is almost as
Vivid Light ~ ♥♥
To all yous who are saying "Oh em gee there better be proper depiction of OCD" well I have one .gif for you.

Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
OCD Love Story is one of those books that I think I'm going to love in retrospect. It's a painful read, one that actually sort of grated on my brain. The description calls it "raw," which is apt, and relatable, which it wasn't really for me. In the end, I'm really impressed with Haydu's debut, but largely undecided on just how I feel about it, and I already know I'll have to sit on it for a while and reread to really process my feelings about Haydu's debut.

There is no doubt in my mind that OCD L
Dahlia
If I took any "points" off this book, it would be because at times, it was an incredibly difficult read, in the sense that Haydu takes you so far inside the main character's head, and it's not really a pleasant place to be. But I opted not to take points off for the fact that the author did a fantastic job presenting a disorder with which I have no experience.

Bea was definitely not the sort of main character I've ever seen before, nor Beck the sort of love interest. But this book really and tru
Katy
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
SO messed up…

I wouldn't be honest if I said that I liked this book because quite frankly, I was a bit disturbed. But I think the book accomplished what Haydu had intended, or at least I think it was what she had intended, and for that, I have to give her props.

I was looking for a cute, fun read that this was definitely NOT that. It forced me into a very serious topic in a not very pleasant light. I often joke that I'm border-line OCD because I'm pretty anal about certain things or particular abo
loveandstolenkisses
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As someone who have OCD very close in my life, I cant tell how much this book hit a sore spot in me.

The author really understood how to write a book that dont sugercoat, and make OCD to something we all can laugh at. It is a true, and very heavy story, that is so well written that you live the feelings in the book. You will experience the panic attacks, the feeling of wanting to apologize all the time, the shame, the need to do the OCD things to feel better, and how people react around one, whe
Lindsey Tipton
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was so stressful I might end up in therapy!

My rating for this book could be improved one to two stars just by changing the cover and marketing. The girly colors and frills on the cover are specifically relevant to the story but send a drastically different message about the general tone of the book. This book is intense with an emphasis on the "OCD" rather than the "love story." I expected a light-hearted and quirky story but found myself trapped in someone's personal hell.

When I read
Heather
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-release
So here are the catch words I wrote down after finishing OCD Love Story: Intense, harrowing, anxious, stressful, cringe worthy, heart racing, sad, hopeful. I felt ALL of these emotions as I was reading this book. It's a tough read. Or at least it was for me. It reminded me a bit of Hilary T. Smith's Wild Awake, especially the parts of that book where protagonist Kiri is in full-on manic mode. The difference is that in OCD Love Story, protagonist Bea is pretty much ALWAYS like that. Always full o ...more
Alexa
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alexa by: Estelle
Shelves: read-in-2015
FIRST THOUGHTS:

It is so, so difficult to read a novel where the main character is suffering from a condition that could potentially make you uncomfortable. And yet, I also think that's why books like this are so important. Real people have these real conditions (or something similar), and maybe it might not be exactly the same symptoms or choices because of it, but at least we know how to empathize with them and understand what they are going through a little bit more.

REVIEW:

(Originally posted
Anastasia シ
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on my blog~
Katelynn
Feb 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, ugh
I despised this book. If it hadn't been marketed so poorly I never would've picked it up.

Admittedly I don't know much about OCD, so I was hoping this book would at the very least educate me about the disorder even if it couldn't engage me in any other way.

All this book did was romanticize a mental disorder while simultaneously vilifying those who have it. Almost every character in this book who suffers from OCD was completely unlikable and since it's so poorly written it just makes it seem lik
Kelly
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent exploration of mental illness. Maybe more than an exploration but an actual head-on EXPERIENCE of mental illness. A damn good debut, with a nice side of romance that is never actually a romance. It is, as the title suggests, a love story.

Full review to come.
Sam
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing

5/5 Stars

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: A-

High school senior Bea suffers from a compulsive form of OCD that, among other things, causes her to fixate on a person and stalk him. Now, in addition to the man she's stalking, she's dating a guy from her OCD support group and by dating, I mean they're enabling each other to fall deeper into their obsessions. Bea falls deeper and deeper into dangerous territory and nobody seems to be able to stop her, least of all herself.

OCD: A LOVE STORY is not a love story, the friendship between
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

Bea has a bit of a problem. A stalking problem. She doesn’t spend her time stalking her maybe/maybe not boyfriend, Beck. They just attend group therapy for OCD together. No, Bea spends her time stalking Austin, a man who happens to attend couple’s therapy with his wife in the timeslot right before Bea’s individual therapy sessions. But really, what Bea does isn’t stalking, is it? It’s not her fault that she gets to therapy an
Nicole
Jun 23, 2012 marked it as to-read
I have OCD...so let's see how this goes.
Disability in Kidlit
"At the risk of oversimplifying, [people with OCD] doubt ourselves deeply. In OCD Love Story, Corey Ann Haydu infuses her story about Bea, a teenage girl who gets diagnosed with OCD and doesn’t quite believe it, with the back-and-forth, pulsing presence of this doubt. The result is a first-person, insider’s account of what OCD feels like for many.

We are introduced to Bea in the form of a panic attack. While the power goes out in the middle of a school dance, Bea hears someone gasping for air, a
Sabrina Gallien
Jul 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
I ranked this book incredibly low for incredibly selfish reasons. As a person suffering from even a mild form of OCD I was highly triggered by the novel. It made my own personal compulsions worse, added to my anxiety, and disrupted my functionality. However, I couldn't go without finishing the book because /my own/ OCD wouldn't allow it. Bea is a good girl, and her symptoms are highly realistic, as well as her mindset. The other characters also expose the disease in various forms and in that way ...more
Pragya
Dec 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
First Published at Reviewing Shelf.

I had my sights set on this book even before it released last year. Although I got my hands on a review copy, I couldn’t get to it last year. So when I saw it in my library, I enthusiastically grabbed it.

The book began interestingly enough but soon seemed to lack lustre for me. I kept waiting for it to pick up, then waited for it to just get over and finally struggled for a month before being done with it. Phew! So glad it’s over.

I had high hopes set for this
Olivia Ho
Apr 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was… a slight bit too love based for me. It has mature topics, such as swearing and alcohol use in it, and I really didn't like that at all. I do not recommend this book. The topic of OCD and the main characters compulsions weren't interesting and romanticized. It's not romantic, and the author portrayed it completely wrong. The main character, Bea, was every stereotypical white girl movie hero, a.k.a. Love obsessed, boring, self-centered, "kind," is "like everyone else!!111!!," and pl ...more
B.A. Wilson
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This shredded me. It was so painful to read. I had to set it aside more than once. It digs deep into OCD and took me to some dark places. But I loved it despite how angsty it made me. It's full of voice and rather adorable at times. It's also raw, messy, and eye-opening.
Trisha
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a tough but realistic look at OCD.
I love that this book is real - it's raw and powerful and not easy to read. But I'm glad there is a book that lets someone like me, who doesn't know this disorder well, get more information and understanding.
Fari
DNF @ page 200

There isn't exactly wrong with this book. I just don't care, you see. It was due at the library today and didn't bother renewing it.
Liz
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is hard to read, but it's a very accurate account of OCD. It's beautifully written and touching, a story I would have read in a sitting if I could have. I loved it.
Theresa ♫
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fellow humans who wanna relate to obsession. Not just OCD--OBSESSION.
Alright.
Alright alright alright . . .

I returned this thing to the library weeks ago and didn't notice it was still on my goodreads overflow of books that bring content and happiness as "currently reading" so I guess I'll just weave out a review now.

I didn't finish this piece.............of..............*sigh* I always feel sad when I can't finish a book! It hurts my insides and makes me feel very very very uncomfortable but I couldn't do it.
PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!
People are like, "How can you revi
Estelle
4.5 stars.

Review originally posted on Rather Be Reading Blog

This book. THIS book.

Even though I loved them for the unique stories they were, I can only compare my OCD Love Story reading experience to Wild Awake. The cover promised me this bright, happy story and the inside gave me something entirely different. A female character dealing with demons, in denial about those demons, and going through hell to hopefully move one step forward. (Whether she knows it or not.) Both debuts are filled with b
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Bea is just your average girl with a weekly therapist appointment. She just likes to take notes, and is a bit obsessive….with a tinsy history of stalking. She meets Beck and he just might be perfect for her, but she can’t stop obsessing over Austin and his perfect life and she just needs to check in on him to make sure he’s alright one last time and then she’ll move on!

I’m a bit speechless. I was expecting an interesting love sto
Janina
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teens
I really enjoyed this book. I've always been a sucker for stories like this - those with mental health problems. I suppose I just have an odd morbid curiosity for things like this.

Bea isn't your run-of-the-mill person with OCD. Typically you hear about the ones that have to wash their hands a billion times a day and have to check and recheck the locks on their doors before they leave the house.

Bea has an obsession with checking on Austin & Sylvia at their posh apartment in Boston. She disco
  • Canary
  • Fault Line
  • This is How I Find Her
  • Brianna on the Brink
  • Nobody But Us
  • 45 Pounds (More or Less)
  • Uses for Boys
  • Ink Is Thicker Than Water
  • OCD, the Dude, and Me
  • Camp Boyfriend (Camp Boyfriend, #1)
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • Thousand Words
“Torture: knowing something makes no sense, but doing it anyways.” 33 likes
“It's like, I'm scared and there're a lot of ugly things, but I'd rather be shipwrecked on this lovely island than safe in a sad, gray cell.” 25 likes