Start by marking “Perigee” as Want to Read:
Perigee

Perigee

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Stranded in orbit, with no way home before the air runs out…

A veteran pilot flying a revolutionary spaceplane,

A media mogul on an urgent mission halfway around the world,

And an aerospace legend fighting to save his legacy, in the face of a government that would stand aside to let it be destroyed.

At hypersonic speed, Arthur Hammond’s fleet of Clipper spaceplanes has become
ebook, 2nd (B&N / iBook / Kobo), 388 pages
Published April 19th 2016 by Baen Books (first published December 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Perigee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perigee

Ron
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Apollo 13 meets The Poseidon Adventure.

Wow. Good story, good science, good storytelling. Deception, heroism, retribution and self-sacrifice. What's not to like? No, there's no blood and gore or sex; like I said . . . .

Maybe not a pure five-star, but, because this is 's first novel, I'm giving him extra credit. Looking forward to more.

A outstanding read.
E. Bard
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Perigee is a science fiction thriller and the first of hopefully many offerings from new author Patrick Chiles. It is an eloquent work of near future science fiction. The writer's clarity and ability to present a fair amount of technical information without confusing the reader is commendable. In fact, I believe the quality of writing may be the novel's greatest strength.

Closer to hard science fiction than thriller, Perigee is the story of a potential disaster in the sub space air travel industr
ThrillersRockT
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it

Siew Ee
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Perigee” may be my first science fiction thriller involving spacecraft. My first impression of this book was definitely a big wow in terms of the author’s technical know-how of spacecraft (and anything that flies, actually!), so I wasn’t at all surprised when I found out that Patrick Chiles is a “seasoned veteran of the airline industry”!

Undoubtedly, this book cannot survive without all the technical jargon, but sometimes I wished the author had made some of the descriptions and explanations si
Denise
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I took advantage of the $0.00 discounted price on Amazon's kindle store to download this very enjoyable read. It some ways it reminded me of Apollo 13 (the movie) and I found the "back on earth" and "stuck in space" heroes to be equally inspiring. Set in the near future, shortly after the introduction of near-space commercial flights, there's good - but not overwhelming - detail of the technical aspects of spaceplanes and flight.

More compelling, for me, were the people, especially the strong fem
Andreas
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Polaris Airlines runs the first fleet of suborbital passenger transports, brainchild of industrialist and owner Walt Hammond. Flight 501 is a private charter from Denver to Singapore. Due to a malfunction it becomes stranded in orbit.

This is good clean fun if you like aerospace and a thrilling story. The characters ring true, especially the pilots, engineers and operations staff at the airline. I did sometimes have a hard time telling minor characters apart, since Mr. Chiles's world is almost ex
Rita Monticelli
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, sci-fi
Scroll down for English version

Un giretto in orbita

Se amate aerei, navette spaziali, stazioni orbitanti e vi piacciono le storie che hanno a che fare con la NASA, dovete leggere questo libro.
Lo comprai semplicemente perché mi piacque la copertina e il titolo. Quella specie di aereo, che poi scoprii essere uno spaceplane (un aereo che funziona sia nell’atmosfera che nello spazio), sperduto in orbita, che aveva tutta l’aria di essere nei guai, mi fece subito presagire una storia interessante. E no
Paul Garrett
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Perigee is the first novel by a seasoned veteran of the airline industry. He envisages NASA reduced to minding the International Space Station (ISS) and a booming civilian operation offering point-to-point suborbital flights on a combined jet/rocket vehicle. Obviously, it caters to the super-rich. One such one-percenter, a stereotypical blustering, demanding man, hires the spaceplane for a quick hop to Asia. It becomes stranded in orbit. The company hastily dispatches a rescue flight, which also ...more
Jim
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of near future scifi
Shelves: scifi, read-2012
This was a very enjoyable foray into "near future science fiction". When I was younger I really loved SciFi as my favorite fiction genre. Over the years I drifted away, no longer interested in "space opera" using questionable physics as the scientific back story. More recently I began revisiting the genre by reading Ben Bova's novels looking at the near future. But, Mr. Chiles has done a good job a dealing with a plausible future. In his afterword he explores the origins of this novel and the el ...more
Curtis Edmonds
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lyle Lovett described one of his songs as "a cheatin' song about Mexican food." This is a love story about aviation engineering. If you are partial to such things, rejoice, because PERIGEE is a love letter to aerodynamics and thrust vectors and G-forces and great big huge giant spaceplanes that accidentally fling themselves into orbit. PERIGEE consciously echoes "Apollo 13" (and, unconsciously, "Gravity") in its telling of the efforts to rescue the crew and passengers of a Denver-to-Singapore su ...more
Sharon Michael
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked it and the only reason it didn't get a 4-star rating from me is I'm technologically incompetent and get annoyed at myself for feeling lost with it. The author is obviously very well grounded in the technology and writes very believably about the near-future technology.

It should appeal to hard sci-fi fans, though it may be a bit slow paced for the action/adventure readers. I would have liked more character development, more sense of individualism and a little more expansion of the sabota
Leo Ji
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Leo by: Amazon
A great story! I thought the balance of science and plot was really excellent -- there was enough scientific terms and ideas involved to make the story believable, but not enough to make it uninteresting. It was a great climax, especially with the new, original plot (view spoiler) and the realistic characters.

I didn't like the changing of viewpoints, though -- one or two to show the plot unfolding in different places would ha
Bob
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A private company is providing airline service with trans-orbital flights. They are also working on developing a space shuttle replacement. When a millionaire charters one of the planes for a flight from Denver to Singapore with only a few aids the company and the pilot take advantage of the flight to attempt a record breaking transit. All is going well until the engines refuse to shut down and all attempts do so fail. The result is that the plane is boosted into orbit and doesn’t have the fuel ...more
Land Murphy
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Picked this up free from Amazon for the Kindle. Probably more like a 2.5. A near future sci-fi thriller that the astronaut-types would enjoy. There was quite a lot of detail about spaceflight that I found unnecessary. It demonstrates, perhaps, that the author knows his stuff (I wouldn't know). However, it distracted me from the story he was trying to tell. It was entertaining, but nothing special.
Ava
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great science story

It is well written. Not cheesy. So nice to read a sci find with human characters and just enough hard science to make it real.
Wonderful to read about women given more of a role in the action.
Exciting to read about real developments in the private sector as it is obvious the U.S. space program is dead in the water.
Best of all for me is the quiet faith woven into the story.
Johnny Johnson
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great story of human triumph in tragic conditions. The characters are the top in their fields but are easily identified with as they struggle to survive. According to the Joker, we are supposed to eat each other when our "Rules of society" break down. This book shows us once again that there are good people in our midst. Not all is lost.
June
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love technology based stories. I'm a sucker for anything to do with space..I have no clue if the technical jargon is correct but it doesn't really matter.This falls into the realms of what might conceivably happen not too far off in the future..commercial spaceflight with all its attendant risks..would you be brave enough?
Mary
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-kindle
I was ready for a change of pace and chose this book randomly. It was entertaining. I thought it might have some plot twists that would catch me off guard but the truth is that these 'twists' were pretty predictable. It probably didn't help that I talked to an engineering friend about halfway through and he said that a lot of what I was describing wasn't really probable.
Jacque Hodges (Carter)
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I would have given this 4 stars for the story but I know NOTHING about flying and aeronautics and physics and math so I got bogged down a little in some parts. Really fun and exciting read though and will look for more by this author.
Shelly
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent, engrossing read, with just the right amount of scientific explanation for a humanities nerd like me (as in, it made sense without making me glaze over). The sciency-stuff was balanced by well-developed and interesting characters.
Pierrette
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
extremely entertaining and believable!
Kandi
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book Even though it's not really the kind of book I would normally read. It was suspenceful and had just the right pace.
Kfred
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Unique plot that unfolds in unexpected ways. Not quite science fiction but just as enjoyable. Author is very knowledgeable on space flight and uses its vernacular to write a very believable story.
Joe Shamah
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great science fiction thriller that gets the science right! Looking forward to future books by Patrick Chiles.
AH
Jun 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
Kindle free download 6/28/12.
Joanna Gawn
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent book, which held my attention throughout. Drama, humour, loss, betrayal and the peril of space! The characters are real, the story believable. I can see it as a movie. :-)
Kimberly
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice near future science fiction read.
Roger
Aug 23, 2015
Peter Rasmussen
Mar 06, 2017
LARRY PFISTER
Feb 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • Dead World (Dead World #1)
  • Walker
  • Lost Cargo
  • Tritium Gambit
  • Eden
  • Half Past Midnight
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
  • Looking Through Lace (Looking Through Lace, #1)
  • Thaw
  • Remember the Eyes (Remember the Eyes, #1)
  • The Resume is Dead
  • Coding Isis
  • Sleepers (sleepers, #1)
  • The Black Witch
  • Freezing Point
  • Whatever Gods May Be
  • One By One
Patrick Chiles has been fascinated with airplanes, rockets, and spaceflight ever since he was a little kid growing up in South Carolina. How he ended up as an English major in college is still a mystery, though he managed to overcome this self-inflicted handicap to pursue a career in aviation.
He is a graduate of The Citadel, a Marine Corps veteran and licensed pilot. His novels, FARSIDE and PERIGE
More about Patrick Chiles...