Start by marking “Gents with No Cents” as Want to Read:
Gents with No Cents

Gents with No Cents

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
GENTS WITH NO CENTS explores a rarely examined side of Wall Street: Its childish antics. From accountants that can’t count, to financial regulators that don’t regulate, GENTS WITH NO CENTS will make you howl with laughter at their incompetence.

Written by Ron DeLegge II, veteran radio host of the Index Investing Show, GENTS WITH NO CENTS is narrated in an easy going style w
Paperback, Bear Market Edition, 157 pages
Published December 1st 2011 by Half Full Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gents with No Cents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gents with No Cents

Raghu
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I had not known anything about Ron DeLegge prior to reading this book. I chanced to read it as I was offered a free copy by the publishers. Once I finished the book, I found out that he was a former financial advisor and also a current radio host on investing. This book is a punishing expose of the financial industry as a whole, especially Wall Street, and written in much lighter vein.

The book exposes the dark side of American finance, especially the investment side of it that is actively promot
Frank
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whether you trade on Wall Street or are subject to the scary things that go on there, "Gents with no Cents" will sneak you in behind closed doors and challenge everything you ever thought went on in Wall Street and Corporate Board Rooms. Do you know what "Black Swans" are or a "flock of Black Pianos? Or the "hysterical tendencies of people" or "Scramble egg strategies for beginners?" Unlike Wall Street which is about as fumy as a hair shirt and as simple as an onion with worms; this book will ha ...more
Cathleen
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I want to thank the Author for participating in the Goodreads Book Giveaway. I was happy to be a winner and receive a copy of Ron DeLegge II's book.

I enjoyed reading this non-fiction look at Wall Street and investing. actually found myself laughing as I was learning a little about the world of investing.

The poem that started on page 41 and ended on page 42 made me laugh so much. Brought back memories of how I felt a couple years ago when my investments were losing money. At the time I didn't fin
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
I won this book on a goodreads.com giveaway. I really enjoyed the humor in it. Throughout the book there were many lessons to be learned while being entertained by the tone of the book. This author did a wonderful job taking a subject that is not always easy to digest and making it into something fun to read.
Yougo
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: financial, humor
I have to be honest, when I started this book I expected it to be either an expose' on the financial industry, or a book on investing... And I suppose it is. If you have any squeamishness about investing in wall street, this book is a book of humor seemingly intended to assist in fully putting you off investing. It goes over a lot of the stupid things that go on in the investing world, government and wall street without any solid information on how to correct it or what to do different. The book ...more
Katrina Sutton
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-won
*Good Reads Review*

I was contacted by Ron himself wondering if I would be interested in reading and reviewing his book, Gents with No Cents because I reviewed his last book, Wall Street Coloring Book. I could not turn down the opportunity of reading a new book. To be honest, I have never been interested in the stock market or how it works, but I took a leap into an unknown world. Starting on the first page, I devoured it quickly. The author made it easy for those that are not familiar of the com
Des
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
full disclosure: review copy received via goodreads.

These sharp words of humor and wisdom capture the world of the financial gurus that run the Wall Street markets. In his keen observations, Ron DeLegge has been able to create insights into the the game plans of the players on Wall Street, financial institutions, and government. The timing of Gents with No Cents is perfect in light of the state of the current economy and bailouts. While it's sad to find the scathing behavior of the likes of Mado
Kim Heimbuch
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it

This book was mind blowing and frightful at the same time. Could you imagine going into surgery and your surgeon never having performed surgery and learned from watching YouTube videos? DeLugge takes us through what and who is running the money in this country and how it ultimately impacts us.

From Wall street personnel not knowing basic algebra to crazy clients, he uses his first hand knowledge as a prior Wall street salesman to mock and cajole Wall Street the best way he knows how; with humor.

Jason Lewis
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
Gents with No Cents is a humorous take on the ongoing disassociation between stock brokers and the general public. Great quick read showcasing all the chaotic craziness of everyday happenings on wall street. Supposedly if it doesn't make sense, you don't make cents. If it makes sense, you won't make cents, you'll make dollars.
With all that said, I wish Ron Delegge great success* in the future with his next books and overall destruction of the above said word.
Cynthia
This book was quite funny, offering numerous opportunities for a chuckle! He touches on (slams!) almost everything in the financial world...the reader might often be tempted to remark "Oh yeah, isn't that the truth!" Yeah, I liked it. (I'm not sure my financial advisor would though!)
I would like to add that I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway...& that it was great investment! Thank you!
« previous 1 3 next »
Creative Reviews: Your 1/22 Deadline Looms, Dear Reader 1 12 Jan 17, 2012 11:47AM
Creative Reviews: Misplaced Book Shipments @ Amazon 6 52 Jan 17, 2012 11:38AM
Ron DeLegge II is the author of 'Gents with No Cents: A Closer Look at Wall Street, its Customers, Financial Regulators, and the Media. DeLegge is not affiliated with the DeLegge Funeral Home in Schenectady, NY, but he's open to the idea of receiving a small equity stake in the business. Ron is also the weekly voice of the Index Investing Show. He writes for ETFguide.com and Research Magazine.
More about Ron DeLegge II...
“99 percent of all statistics only tell 49 percent of the story.” 18 likes