Start by marking “Black December (DCI Brendan Moran #1)” as Want to Read:
Black December (DCI Brendan Moran #1)

Black December

(DCI Brendan Moran #1)

From the author of Amazon top 20 bestseller, 'The Trespass' ...

DCI Brendan Moran, world-weary veteran of 1970s Ireland, is recuperating from a near fatal car crash when a murder is reported at Charnford Abbey.

The abbot and his monks are strangely uncooperative, but when a visitor from the Vatican arrives and an ancient relic goes missing the truth behind Charnford's pact
Published (first published November 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Black December, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black December

Start your review of Black December (DCI Brendan Moran #1)
Elizabeth Barter
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
It's not a bad book ,but there were certain devices used in this novel, that needed more explanation.The hero has more lives than a cat,some of his experiences,made a reader wonder what this character did to his creator that made said writer dislike him so much?'The Irish Detective loses nearly everyone close to him except his dog, but for the most part , it wasn't a bad way to pass a Sunday afternoon.
Katrine Austin
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A very easy flowing, decent murder mystery. Somewhat predictable, but given this isn't my usual genre I didn't mind not having to think too hard. I enjoyed the setting in the UK, and in particular the details of the monastery as it progressed through the storytelling. This is August's book club selection and the author himself gave us discussion questions so I look forward to exploring them!
Susan
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm torn on this rating as this was an enjoyable read. I liked the Moran and Phelps characters, but
I had a couple of issues with the plot in that the Prologue is 40 years before the villain returns for revenge. Where has this character been all this time? All the people the villain wants revenge on have remained in the same place, so what took so long?
As far as the writing is concerned, several chapters opened in the middle of a passage of dialogue, so it took a minute to get on board with the s
Toni Osborne
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Book #1, in the DCI Brendan Moran series

“Black December” is a crime thriller that brings DCI Brendan Moran to investigate a murder at Charnford Abbey where he will discover the abbot and monks to be most uncooperative…..

This mystery is written with a wild imagination and in a very particular narrative style. The slight difference in terminology is a bit of a challenge at first till you get used to it. The pacing is fast and furious while Brendan investigates what took place at the Abbey. As he
Leone
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Becky Loader
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I am a library-o-phile. While my local public library is closed due to the coronavirus, I have been haunting the Little Free Libraries in my neighborhood. I even resorted to buying books, which I usually only do when I want to retain it in my permanent collection (that is librarianese).

After reading the Martin Beck series, the Brendan Moran series came up as a possible one I might like. He is an Irish detective working in Inspector Morse's old neighborhood of the Thames Valley Police.

The story
David
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Another new author for me with another new series. This first one has the makings of a good series, very enjoyable.
Tom Swift
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. First book of a trilogy with Detective Moran. A murder in the Abbey. Who did it?!
Wendy
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the first of three books that I bought as a set on kobo. Well written and a good read. I hope the others are as good.
BookLoversLife
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to comment about the narrator first because he was brilliant! He made this book so much better. He gave each character their own voice and it was easy to follow who was talking. Being Irish, I know a good Irish accent when I hear it and boy did Wayne Farrell do it perfectly. So well done to him and I will definitely be checking out more narrated by him.

Character wise, I loved DCI Brendan Moran. He had that typical weary Irish attitude. He is intent on finding out what happened at the Abbe
J.R.
Jul 04, 2016 added it
Shelves: thrillers
Recuperating from auto accident injuries but back on duty, DCI Brendan Moran is summoned to investigate a murder at Charnford Abbey.

He soon discovers the murderer has uncovered remains from another crime some 40 years old and, in addition to what has now become two investigations, he must also deal with the apparent theft of an ancient religious relic.

If all this isn't enough for one ailing man not in his usual prime, Moran has other troubles, including an alcoholic brother and a gang of squatte
Petra Willemse
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, series
It's been fun discovering a new to me series to read.
Kathleen
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Un "believe" able
Bruce Retallack
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I bought the 3-book omnibus on Kobo, thinking Hunter sounded like someone I'd really enjoy. As it turns out, I found the book OK, but rather too Byzantine for my taste.
Graceanne Bowe
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Quick, entertaining murder mystery. A couple of things kept me from giving this a 4-star rating. First, the protagonist's profound and dramatic backstory could have used more fleshing out, and his ability to survive severe trauma makes him seem almost super-human. The second is the abrupt yet vague revelation that a character with whom the detective has a very real experience turns out to be a figment of his imagination; the detective's ability to carry on as if it had never happened seemed a li ...more
Kevin Kennedy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good page turner

I enjoyed the book and found the plot interesting and well written. There was a death that seemed gratuitous, a character whose fate we don't know, and the case of a mysterious character, but I suspect it was a ghost mentioned elsewhere. If you want a quick, enjoyable read, this could be it.
Teresa
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent enough...

...But ultimately I doubt it will be memorable at all. Predictable and only fair character development. The plot was kind of all over the place which left little time for realistic reactions from the characters, and some of the loose ends were not resolved...though I admit, since it's a series, some of it could be tied up in other books.
Cristina Kiefer
That took longer than I expected. Interesting mystery. I love mysteries. Although, I liked reading this, I didn't get so involved with the characters enough to want to read the next in the series. I wouldn't not read them if they came up free, but I certainly wouldn't pay for them.
Lorraine
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Rosemary
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
K G
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Silly. Silly to the power 78. If you like silly this should be near the top of your list.

And he misuses the reflexive pronoun.
George Langille
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good read

I gave a terrible review of this book because I mistook it for another novel. As far a mysteries stories go, it's really okay. Nice easy read.
Mary Ann
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
David
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
This was my first DCI Moran story which I listened on Audible. Great story which makes me want read more of the series.
Janet
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
i had trouble keeping focused with this one. The pace did pick up towards the end.
Pamela
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Easy read.
Audiothing
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Despite being a little confused by the beginning and having to rewind, I was soon immersed in the story. For a short listen there's a lot going on, there's old murder and new murder at the Abbey school to be solved by DCI Brendan Moran and his sergeant, Phelps, they are getting on with the job when office politics come in to play and Phelps is replaced by a man who sneers at age and experience. At first I expected him to be won over by the lugubrious but clever M
Popsytops
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a self-published book and in some places it shows, but overall I enjoyed the plot and the writing is good. Bodies (one old, one new) surface in a boys school run by monks, and then a celebrity is found dead as well (though here is one place where a bit more editing could have taken place as this second murder is a bit sketchy). Eventually things get tied together and links get made between past events and present.
The pace is fast and the detective does of course get his man. In places t
Joe Stamber
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-read, read-2016
At different points in Black December I could have given it anything from 1 star to 5 stars, so I settled on 3 as a happy medium. What starts off as yet another police procedural featuring a troubled detective wanders off in all sorts of directions as Hunter throws ingredients into the melting pot. The author has an incredible imagination but sometimes things get out of hand and it's almost as if he has tried to cram too much into a relatively short novel. The other issue I had with Black Decemb ...more
Kath
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this author/book from a tweet by an author I already followed on Twitter, read the blurb, looked at the price and thought - hey, why not...
To say that I wasn't disappointed would be a gross understatement. The story grabbed me from the start and never let up until the final pages, taking me through perfectly credible and well orchestrated twists and turns throughout.
The book is well written, characterisation is excellent. I especially like the slightly flawed DCI Moran - I hope he return

• The Trespass
  • The Innocent and the Dead (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Death at Whitewater Church (Inishowen Mysteries #1)
  • Hubris (DI Munro & DS West #11)
  • Hour of Need: A Scottish Crime Thriller (A DCI Harry McNeil Crime Thriller Book 4)
  • DEAD OF NIGHT: A Scottish murder mystery (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 3)
  • Murder at Flood Tide (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 2)
  • Nowhere To Hide (Inspector Drake #7)
  • Bad Dog (DCI Kett #2)
  • Back to Life (A DCI Harry McNeil Crime Thriller Book 2)
  • On Eden Street (Kings Lake #2)
  • Blackfriars Gate: A DCI Shaftoe Mystery
  • Written In Blood (Inspector Drake #6)
  • DEAD BEFORE YOU DIE (A DCI Harry McNeil Crime Thriller Book 3)
  • Turpitude (DI Munro & DS West #10)
  • St. Benet's (DI Tanner #2)
  • The House in the Woods (Atticus Priest #1)
  • Knife & Death (James Hardy #1)

DCI Brendan Moran (3 books)
  • Creatures of Dust (DCI Brendan Moran #2)
  • Death Walks Behind You (DCI Brendan Moran #3)