Start by marking “Black December (DCI Brendan Moran #1)” as Want to Read:
Black December (DCI Brendan Moran #1)

Black December

(DCI Brendan Moran #1)

From the author of Amazon top 20 bestseller, 'The Trespass' ...

DCI Brendan Moran, world-weary veteran of 1970s Ireland, is recuperating from a near fatal car crash when a murder is reported at Charnford Abbey.

The abbot and his monks are strangely uncooperative, but when a visitor from the Vatican arrives and an ancient relic goes missing the truth behind Charnford's pact
Published (first published November 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Black December, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black December

Elizabeth Barter
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
It's not a bad book ,but there were certain devices used in this novel, that needed more explanation.The hero has more lives than a cat,some of his experiences,made a reader wonder what this character did to his creator that made said writer dislike him so much?'The Irish Detective loses nearly everyone close to him except his dog, but for the most part , it wasn't a bad way to pass a Sunday afternoon.
David
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Another new author for me with another new series. This first one has the makings of a good series, very enjoyable.
Toni Osborne
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Book #1, in the DCI Brendan Moran series

“Black December” is a crime thriller that brings DCI Brendan Moran to investigate a murder at Charnford Abbey where he will discover the abbot and monks to be most uncooperative…..

This mystery is written with a wild imagination and in a very particular narrative style. The slight difference in terminology is a bit of a challenge at first till you get used to it. The pacing is fast and furious while Brendan investigates what took place at the Abbey. As he
Wendy
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the first of three books that I bought as a set on kobo. Well written and a good read. I hope the others are as good.
BookLoversLife
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to comment about the narrator first because he was brilliant! He made this book so much better. He gave each character their own voice and it was easy to follow who was talking. Being Irish, I know a good Irish accent when I hear it and boy did Wayne Farrell do it perfectly. So well done to him and I will definitely be checking out more narrated by him.

Character wise, I loved DCI Brendan Moran. He had that typical weary Irish attitude. He is intent on finding out what happened at the Abbe
J.R.
Jul 04, 2016 added it
Shelves: thrillers
Recuperating from auto accident injuries but back on duty, DCI Brendan Moran is summoned to investigate a murder at Charnford Abbey.

He soon discovers the murderer has uncovered remains from another crime some 40 years old and, in addition to what has now become two investigations, he must also deal with the apparent theft of an ancient religious relic.

If all this isn't enough for one ailing man not in his usual prime, Moran has other troubles, including an alcoholic brother and a gang of squatte
Petra Willemse
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, series
It's been fun discovering a new to me series to read.
Susan
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm torn on this rating as this was an enjoyable read. I liked the Moran and Phelps characters, but
I had a couple of issues with the plot in that the Prologue is 40 years before the villain returns for revenge. Where has this character been all this time? All the people the villain wants revenge on have remained in the same place, so what took so long?
As far as the writing is concerned, several chapters opened in the middle of a passage of dialogue, so it took a minute to get on board with the s
Leone
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Teresa
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent enough...

...But ultimately I doubt it will be memorable at all. Predictable and only fair character development. The plot was kind of all over the place which left little time for realistic reactions from the characters, and some of the loose ends were not resolved...though I admit, since it's a series, some of it could be tied up in other books.
Kevin Kennedy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good page turner

I enjoyed the book and found the plot interesting and well written. There was a death that seemed gratuitous, a character whose fate we don't know, and the case of a mysterious character, but I suspect it was a ghost mentioned elsewhere. If you want a quick, enjoyable read, this could be it.
Cristina Kiefer
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
That took longer than I expected. Interesting mystery. I love mysteries. Although, I liked reading this, I didn't get so involved with the characters enough to want to read the next in the series. I wouldn't not read them if they came up free, but I certainly wouldn't pay for them.
Kathleen
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Un "believe" able
George Langille
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good read

I gave a terrible review of this book because I mistook it for another novel. As far a mysteries stories go, it's really okay. Nice easy read.
Ken Phillips
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Silly. Silly to the power 78. If you like silly this should be near the top of your list.

And he misuses the reflexive pronoun.
Lorraine
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Rosemary
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Audiothing
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Despite being a little confused by the beginning and having to rewind, I was soon immersed in the story. For a short listen there's a lot going on, there's old murder and new murder at the Abbey school to be solved by DCI Brendan Moran and his sergeant, Phelps, they are getting on with the job when office politics come in to play and Phelps is replaced by a man who sneers at age and experience. At first I expected him to be won over by the lugubrious but clever M
Popsytops
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a self-published book and in some places it shows, but overall I enjoyed the plot and the writing is good. Bodies (one old, one new) surface in a boys school run by monks, and then a celebrity is found dead as well (though here is one place where a bit more editing could have taken place as this second murder is a bit sketchy). Eventually things get tied together and links get made between past events and present.
The pace is fast and the detective does of course get his man. In places t
Joe Stamber
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-read, read-2016
At different points in Black December I could have given it anything from 1 star to 5 stars, so I settled on 3 as a happy medium. What starts off as yet another police procedural featuring a troubled detective wanders off in all sorts of directions as Hunter throws ingredients into the melting pot. The author has an incredible imagination but sometimes things get out of hand and it's almost as if he has tried to cram too much into a relatively short novel. The other issue I had with Black Decemb ...more
Freda Pierce
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Listened to the audio book, which I always think is a different experience to 'reading'.
Anyway, this is a strong police procedural set in a Catholic boys school. Bodies turn up from the past when a new murder is committed and the body count keep rising. Detective Moran is a slightly damaged, but likeable, Irishman. The characterisation was well done and it although some part of the denouement was predictable, there was still room for a bit of surprise.
Cheap buy on Amazon with audible narration
Kath
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this author/book from a tweet by an author I already followed on Twitter, read the blurb, looked at the price and thought - hey, why not...
To say that I wasn't disappointed would be a gross understatement. The story grabbed me from the start and never let up until the final pages, taking me through perfectly credible and well orchestrated twists and turns throughout.
The book is well written, characterisation is excellent. I especially like the slightly flawed DCI Moran - I hope he return
Barbara Hornak
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Worth reading

This is my first time reading a book by this author. I enjoyed the story line and character development. Reading a book by a British author is refreshing because of the slight difference in terminology. DCI Brendan Moran had a lot of obstacles to overcome. The ending was unexpected. I hope to read the other books in this series at a later time.
Audrey
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my second Scott Hunter book, it will not be my last, I enjoyed it so much, I do try not to put spoilers on my reviews but if you like a thriller with a bit of everything this is for you, read it in one weekend, I am already trying to decide what to go for next. I highly reccomend this book.............
Deedra
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book sucks you in and the ride is great...right up to the end.Actually I'm still not sure about the end.A Monk is killed at a Monastary.In the search for his killer old misdeeds and revenges are made new again.
This is narrated brilliantly by Wayne Farrel.
"I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the author in exchange for an unbiased review via AudiobookBlast dot com."
Tracy Barrall
It took me a few months to read this as I did get distracted and put it down for a while but it wasn't because I didn't find it a good read. when restarting I found it easy to pick up from where I had left off. A good read but preferred The Trespass
Gary Van Cott
Not too bad a book but I thought the body count was excessive and there were aspects of the book that weren't plausible.
Katrina
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written story with interesting and believable characters. I was hooked from the first page! I am looking forward to reading more from Scott Hunter.
Jamie
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. What a great book,highly recommend reading for fellow good readers.Three book series,onto book two. Like DCI Brendan Moran immediately,quite a character. Well done Author Scott Hunter.
Kathy O'connell
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
actually 3.5 or 3.75 stars - good plot and good characters and good mystery
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Trespass
  • Death of an Old Git (The Falconer Files, #1)
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • Blow on a Dead Man's Embers
  • A Killing Tree
  • Mercy Killing
  • Trophies (The Wakefield Series, #1)
  • Bad Traffic: An Inspector Jian Novel
  • The Bluebell Informant (DS Giles, #1)
  • The Twilight Time (Anna Cameron #1)
  • Skuggspel: En Thriller som Utspelas I Sydney, Australien
  • The Fallen (DCI Matilda Darke, #0.5)
  • I Could Love You
  • This Dark Place (Detective Kelly Moore, #1)
  • Blackwater (DI Nick Lowry, #1)
  • Luminous Airplanes
  • Misery Bay: A Mystery
  • A Deadly Game

DCI Brendan Moran (3 books)
  • Creatures of Dust (DCI Brendan Moran #2)
  • Death Walks Behind You (DCI Brendan Moran #3)