Start by marking “A Factory of One: Applying Lean Principles to Banish Waste and Improve Your Personal Performance” as Want to Read:

Most business readers have heard of the Lean principles developed for factories--a set of tools and ideas that have enabled companies to dramatically boost quality by reducing waste and errors--producing more while using less. Yet until now, few have recognized how relevant these powerful ideas are to individuals and their daily work. Every person at a desk, drafting ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by Productivity Press

To ask other readers questions about A Factory of One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Factory of One

Start your review of A Factory of One: Applying Lean Principles to Banish Waste and Improve Your Personal Performance
Rick Austin
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book takes lean concepts and shows you how to apply them to create an intense focus on personal productivity. I found this approach to be clear and simple. As someone who is always looking for ways to improve my ability to improve my performance I found this book to off a refreshing and effective approach to do so. Especially compared to some of the other personal productivity methods I've run with in the past.

The author gets straight to the point, interjects humor throughout, and provides
Alain Burrese
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
"A Factory of One: Applying Lean Principles to Banish Waste and Improve Your Personal Performance" by Daniel Markovitz is an interesting and new look at an old topic, productivity improvement. I'm not sure there was much "new" here, but rather some solid concepts presented in a different manner. I liked the book, and feel is deserves a place among the productivity and business books that line the shelves.

It's just under 150 pages long, which makes it a quick read. It's well organized and flows
Regina Brown
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, business
This is a great little book on applying lean principles and the Toyota method to your personal work set-up, whether you are self-employed, work for a small business, or work for a large enterprise.

The author makes good use of humor to get his point across.

I borrowed this book from the library, not knowing how good it would be, but determined to attempt to implement the ideas as I read the book. I have needed to reorganize my office and get rid of unnecessary items in it for quite some time, but
Nini K!
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Work-related
Mike Thelen
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great "individual Lean" book. Many simple tips and tricks for bringing Lean into your personal workspace.
Bob Wallner
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Over the last 6 months I have become engrossed in learning personal productivity through reading and podcasts. I looked at it as my own personal way of speeding up the value I provide, while un-cluttering my life. I wish I had read this book before I started. Factory of One covers everything that has taken me several months to unpack and it puts it into a connotation that "lean zealots" will understand and love.

The author does a great job of conveying:
1) Understand what you do that adds Value!!
loafingcactus
A huge problem personal productivity books face is that they have very different audiences to speak to: people new to personal productivity, people well-versed in personal productivity concepts, and people who have made a fetish of personal productivity. The first group needs information. The second group thinks they need information but actually they need motivation, and the third group needs to be sent back to their craft tables.

This book does a good job of speaking to the first group, people
Jack Vinson
Apr 23, 2012 marked it as to-read
Webinar available until 15 May 2012: http://blog.jackvinson.com/archives/2...
J
Oct 06, 2019
Samuel Demers
Feb 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • Notes to a software team leader
  • The Alliance: Managing Talent in the Networked Age
  • Startup Weekend
  • The Entrepreneurial Mindset: Strategies for Continuously Creating Opportunity in an Age of Uncertainty
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work | Navigating Life
  • It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow: How to Use Speed as a Competitive Tool in Business
  • Everything I know about LEAN I learned in first grade

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »