Start by marking “Non ti addormentare” as Want to Read:
Non ti addormentare

Non ti addormentare

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  216,828 Ratings  ·  19,423 Reviews
Ogni mattina Christine si sveglia senza ricordi. Non sa a chi appartenga la casa in cui si trova, l’uomo che le dorme accanto le è totalmente estraneo, e anche il suo viso, riflesso nello specchio del bagno, le sembra molto meno giovane di quanto secondo lei dovrebbe essere. È Ben, suo marito, a darle quotidianamente le coordinate della sua vita, a spiegarle chi è lui, chi ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Piemme (first published April 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Non ti addormentare, please sign up.

Irene Paula...why would you post such a MAJOR SPOILER without hiding it? Right there for all to see! All who didn't read the book yet will have their…morePaula...why would you post such a MAJOR SPOILER without hiding it? Right there for all to see! All who didn't read the book yet will have their experience ruined. I enjoyed this book and wish for others to enjoy it as well. Please delete or hide it!(less)
Paul Dann This is an absolutely fantastic book. The research that must have gone into the psychology of the main character is phenomenal. The story itself was…moreThis is an absolutely fantastic book. The research that must have gone into the psychology of the main character is phenomenal. The story itself was engaging, but for me it was the questions it raised about the reality of perception, what it means to be a person, and the nature of truth and relationships that was absolutely fascinating, and very well written indeed.(less)

Emily May
“What are we, if not an accumulation of our memories?”

I've had my eye on this book since before it was released and last night I decided it was finally time. I really wanted a psychological thriller that would keep me guessing. And did it deliver? Well, let's just say I was up until 2am, partly because this book is unputdownable, and partly because it's a little hard to turn the light off and go to sleep afterwards.

Before I Go to Sleep is about a woman called Christine who wakes up every morn
Joe
Jul 21, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read reviews on Goodreads after I have read a book. I do this because after reading those reviews I wonder if I have read the same book as those reviewing it. Most start by giving a somewhat lengthly explanation of the plot of the book. Why? tell me what you thought. I know what it is about. I want to know what you thought of it. At this point I get really crazy because the opinions almost always are positive. I wish these people were my high school English teachers. I would have gotten A ...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I can overlook a lot of bogus-tude for a good story, but this one exceeded my implausibility tolerance threshold. The analytical portion of my brain wants to give this an even lower rating, but it did hold my interest, so I have to be fair. It has a sinister edge that keeps you reading---at least until you start figuring everything out long before it's revealed.

If I listed all the laughable incongruities and convenient coincidences, I'd ruin it for people who just want an absorbing escape read.
Jason
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kindle, 2012, reviewed
My negative attitude is a ruse, I swear it. I am such a positive little outlooker. Nearly every book I read starts off with five stars in my head. It barely has to earn anything; it just has to hold on to what it started with. But wow, this book fell off a cliff or something! What the hell happened??

First let’s back the truck out of these plot holes and start from the beginning.

The premise of this psychological thriller is fairly straightforward. The first person narrator has amnesia. More speci
Lou
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june-read
June 15th 2am 2011

I am writing this down in my journal
I must do this otherwise I fear tomorrow I might not remember anything.
Anything about the book I read today or about me or my wife, well she says she is.
I woke up this morning and my eyes were cast upon a striking beautiful woman in an even more striking body wearing nice lingerie that fits like a glove.
I have no idea at that moment who she is, she says she's my wife but I don't remember being married! I am trying to piece together my lif
Mo Shah
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Argh. What a frustrating book. I want someone else I know to read it so I can discuss it with them, to see if they agree with my conclusion. Sarah, you should read it and let me know what you think.

I really really liked this book in the beginning. The concept, while not strictly novel (I can recall maybe half a dozen stories where amnesia like this features prominently) is utilized to great effect. The mystery is initially built quite satisfactorily, and you're drawn in as a reader.

Fairly soon
Mandy
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg! I am totally speechless. This book was amazing. It had a great plot about a woman who has amnesia and cannot remember her memories from day to day. She begins to keep a journal and remember certain events in her life. From there the book is amazing! I definitely recommend this! If you want a page turning, psychologically thrilling, fall out of your chair book - read this!!!!!!! So damn good!

Side note: I've got to see the film!!!!!!!
Alex
Nov 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
Cassy
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cassy by: CNN 2011 article about summer reads
Sometimes I get flipped around while I sleep. My head ends up where my feet should be. As I wake up and wave my hand in the air for the nightstand, the freak out begins. Where the heck am I? It only lasts a few seconds before I figure it out, but the depth of my disorientation during those few seconds is always surprising to me.

So, the book and I were off to a good start when, on the page one, Christine wakes up confused in a strange room. Unfortunately for her, it is not as simple as seeing th
Frankie
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seen-movie, 2016, uk
I Loved this book!
Such an unusual and sometimes frustrating (but in the good way) way to tell a story.

Straight into the story & suspense.

THAT ENDING
Could. Not. Put. Down.
Mohammed Arabey
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
لا أعتقد إنك بسهولة ستتخلص من التفكير بمشاعر كريستين، بطلة الرواية، بعد قراءتها
شعور بإنك أستيقظت لتنظر في المرآة لتجد نفسك كبرت فجأة

عُمر قد مرق, ولاتعرف بمن تثق , من كذب ومن صدق , وماذا يخفيه البعض عنك؟
وكل ليلة يجب أن تراجع كل ما تعرفه.. قبل ما تنام

هذا هو حال البطلة ،راويّة الأحداث ،عقل مريض وذاكرة مشوشة، عقل مؤلفة روايات وأنت تقرأ ما تكتبه بمذكراتها..فماذا تتوقع؟

الأحـداث
~~~~~~
هذا هو حال كريستين .. حيث في يوم ما تستيقظ فاقدة ذاكرتها ، زوجها يخبرها إن هذا يتكرر يوميا ...بسبب حادث
عليه ان يذكرها بك
Carol
DO NOT TRUST BEN, but OMG who to trust?

BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP begins with a daily existence of the creepy unknown and continues with amazing suspense each day throughout the entire story as amnesiac Christine unravels the mystery of her past.

As bits and pieces of her memories unfold, the shocking truth and terrifying moments of "the accident" come together to disclose a great twist within a unique storyline.

A bit far-fetched here and there, but who cares..........super entertaining! Could Not Put

Luffy
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm astounded that Before I Go to Sleep isn't one of those books that raked in 4.00 stars on average. It's so damn good and the suspense is unrelenting towards the end.

Unfortunately for me, the epub file that I downloaded contained too small letters. Adjusting them whenever I chose to alternate between books was a pain but it was still doable and worth it... Christine is an amnesiac who is trying to relive her past. The book begins slowly and the tension escalates slowly.

Christine is not alone.
Raeleen Lemay
Read for Book Riot's 2017 Read Harder Challenge: #2 Read a Debut Novel

I feel like this book would be a great introduction to the thriller genre for somebody who hasn't read any yet, but now that I've read a few great thrillers, this didn't quite live up to the hype. The general plot for this book is super interesting, but in execution it was a bit weak, and not nearly as suspenseful as I was hoping it would be. This book is basically only like 15% thriller, and the rest is just... other. Not tha
Khadidja
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christine, a middle-aged woman who wakes up every morning with no memory of her life, she has amnesia; every night she falls asleep and forget everything, that's her life which made me really sad for her i loved the story it was well written it was sad no one deserves to go through that struggle every day it was heartbreaking , The ending was really scary it caught me off guard, totally unexpected turn of events.

okay now the movie oh my freaking lord !!! they ruined it , they ruined everything
Arah-Lynda
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, i-said
What if when you woke up every morning, you could not remember anything of the day before or the day before that. You wake up beside a man. A stranger, who says he is Ben, your husband. He becomes your only sense of belonging by gently, lovingly explaining everything, as much as he seems able, each and every day.

A Dr. calls, on a phone you did not even know you had and convinces you to see him in an effort to try and remember something, anything. He suggests you keep a journal and then calls bac
Brenda
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Brenda by: Michael
Wow! What an amazing debut novel! I could not put this book down, it completely captivated me, I was wanting to know what would happen next, I was afraid with her, for what would happen next.....

Christine Lucas (Chrissy) goes to sleep each night, and wakes up in bed with someone she doesn't recognise, the house is unfamiliar, the clothing is not hers! The man she wakes up next to tells her he is her husband, Ben, they have been married for 22 years, they are very happy, and very in love. She had
Andrew Smith
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the whole premise of this story: the memory loss with the lead character having, effectively, a clean slate every day. It put me in mind of another book with a similar slant - The Housekeeper + the Professor by Yoko Ogawa - only this tale is much darker and the Ogawa book doesn't set out to be a mystery thriller.

I think the characterisation is flawless and the story is told brilliantly. Ok, I did start to work out where it was leading towards the end, but this didn't prevent me
Doug Bradshaw
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very first sentence of the book I virtually became the protagonist, an amnesiac struggling to figure out who and where I am and why I'm in bed with this older man in a home I don't recognize and then when I look in the mirror, I barely recognize my reflection: this older woman with wrinkles and body starting to sag a little bit, naked and blank both mentally and physically, totally lost and scared and befuddled.

Every day is the same awakening until with the advice of a therapist, she s
Michael
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Michael
I was recommending this book by one of my trusty Goodreads friends and while I wasn’t too sure about it I decided to give it a go. I was thinking this would be a book similar to 50 First Dates but what I go was a book that reminded me more of Memento. Before I Go to Sleep tells the story of Christine Lucas, who is trying to piece back her life after suffering an accident that has caused her to have anterograde amnesia. Chrissy can remember everything that happens to her during the day but as soo ...more
Alex
Has anyone seen 50 First Dates?
Hosted by imgur.com

It's this fun, touching movie about a girl with a medical condition that prevents her from remembering the events of the previous day. This book is like that, only creepier and more depressing.

Imagine waking up every morning and not knowing the person sleeping beside you. Imagine looking in a mirror every morning and not recognizing your own face because you're 20 years older than the last memory of yourself. Imagine not trusting the person claiming to be your husb
Zoeytron
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
The mind is an intricate thing, fragile, open to suggestion. An inkling, a feeling, just a hint of familiarity, can have you going in circles. That thought you just had, is it a memory or an invention? Christine never has the luxury of knowing how to answer that question. A nearly fatal injury 20 some odd years ago left her with a specific type of amnesia that allows no short term memories to be retained. If she sleeps, she forgets. Someone close is lying to her about some very important things ...more
Nikki
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I picked this up somewhat on a whim. A couple of people had been talking about it, and I saw it in the Kindle store, and I just thought... fine, okay. I'll go for it. I read it in about four chunks. It's pretty riveting, actually. The unreliable narrator is reasonably well handled and as long as you're prepared to go along for the ride, it works reasonably well. I guessed the big twist fairly swiftly, then thought I'd got it wrong, and then it turned out my first guess was right. That was pretty ...more
Barb
I had high hopes for this book to be a real nail-biter, edge-of-the-seat kind of thriller, that's what the testimonials and the promotional materials bill it as. Unfortunately for me it didn't live up to the hype.

I will say that it was easy to read and I read it in one day, eagerly anticipating the ending. However, what makes this story work is Watson's manipulation of reality in order to prolong the suspense. If the story had been more well grounded and believable I would have given it higher
Kinga
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to finish reading this book before I went to sleep. I was afraid I would wake up and not remember a thing and would have to start all over again. I haven’t been this engrossed in a book for a long time. I missed my stop, I forgot to pay my bill at the café (I did return today to settle it and said I suffer from temporary memory loss), I bumped into things while read-walking.
It’s no wonder this book sold five hundred gabizzillion copies and translation rights everywhere including Atlantis
Sam Quixote
Nov 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(I jump in and out of spoilers throughout – it’s the only way to review this trash - so rather than constantly having to stop myself to write “spoilers”, I’m writing it at the top of the review. Fair warning.)

Christine has a very specific type of amnesia: every day she wakes up not knowing who the man sleeping next to her is. She also forgets that she’s 47 and not in her early twenties as she believes. She forgets that she was in an accident that caused her memory loss, she forgets that she had
Sue
"Before I Go To Sleep" by S. J. Watson,is an amazing debut novel...a book I could not put down. This thriller, with it's suspense, twists and turns, as it moves towards the finish, is brilliant, and will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last page. I recognize that it has got mixed reviews, but for me it was a gripping read.

Before I Go to Sleep tells the story of Christine Lucas, who is trying to piece back her life after suffering an accident that has caused her to have amnesia.
Poonam
Buddy Read with Murugesh

This story is of Christine, who suffers from a special kind of amnesic disease where when she goes into deep sleep, she forgets everything about herself and each day is like living a new life.

She is completely dependent on her husband Ben, to remind her of what her life is like, who she is, where she lives, what she does.....
"I feel like a prospective tenant being shown around a new flat."

This whole set-up reminded me of the movie 50 first dates but something that was
Tim The Enchanter
Gold Broken Gavel Award for Worst Novel of 2015

Posted to The Literary Lawyer

Zzzzzzzzzzz - 2.5 Stars

Before I Go to Sleep consistently threatened to put me in a coma. This book was like groundhog day - without the humour and without Bill Murray. The book received 2 stars based on the fact that this was a debut novel, it was in fact very well written and I read it all the way to the end. Unfortunately, I was quite bored and often wished I was the main character and would awake the next mo
Petra Eggs
If you lose your memory about people and events, then you lose yourself and you become the dupe for any and every scurrilous schemer because how can you tell who your friends are if you don't even remember them? And so it is for Christine who remembers only what she is told that day but can use a diary to remind herself of what she had remembered the day before. If you don't work out the ending, which isn't original but appropriate, then it's a really good read, if you do, well, it's still an ok ...more
Phnom Penh Book Club: A novel- Before I go to sleep 1 4 Sep 23, 2017 02:24AM
Fiction Fanatics: September 2017 - Before I Go to Sleep 3 12 Sep 20, 2017 12:50AM
Around the Year i...: Before I Go to Sleep, by S.J. Watson 2 22 Apr 03, 2017 09:05PM
Incongruities in this book. 53 881 Apr 03, 2017 12:22PM
Books2Movies Club: Before I Go to Sleep - book and movie 7 91 Feb 20, 2017 03:25PM
Bookworm Bitches : December 2011: Before I Go To Sleep 81 442 Jan 27, 2017 08:22PM
221 b Baker street: Lectura de Enero. 14 50 Jan 24, 2017 08:17PM
  • Never Knowing
  • Perfect People
  • Turn of Mind
  • Fludd
  • Crocuses and Blackbirds: Free Preview of Part 1 (The Golden Path Quintet #1)
  • Into the Darkest Corner
  • Long Gone
  • Afterwards
  • The Guilty One
  • Don't Breathe a Word
  • The Last Child
  • Priest (Jack Taylor, #5)
  • Die a Little
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Creep (Creep #1)
  • Never Look Away
  • A Spot of Bother
  • The Getaway
S J Watson was born in the UK, lives in London and worked in the NHS for a number of years.

In 2011 Watson's debut novel, Before I Go to Sleep, was released to critical acclaim. It has now been published in over 40 languages, and has become an international bestseller, winning numerous awards.

The movie of Before I Go To Sleep, starrring Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth and Mark Strong, is due for worldw
More about S.J. Watson...
“What are we, if not an accumulation of our memories?” 203 likes
“We’re constantly changing facts, rewriting history to make things easier, to make them fit in with our preferred version of events. We do it automatically. We invent memories. Without thinking. If we tell ourselves something happened often enough we start to believe it, and then we can actually remember it.” 201 likes