Start by marking “Allegiance: A Dublin Novella” as Want to Read:

Allegiance: A Dublin Novella

William Young is an MI5 informant, using his working-class background to gain the trust of groups deemed a threat to the Crown. Tiring of his double life, William travels to Dublin for one last assignment: infiltrating a group of IRA supporters. But these "rebels" are not what he expected — and one of them, a firebrand named Adam with a past as painful as his own, shakes W ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Allegiance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allegiance

Start your review of Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
Sheziss
Can someone die of cuteness?

description

Because I think I did!

I love the 20s. I’ve never read a book set in Ireland in that period of time, so it was brand new for me. I could feel myself absorbed by the setting, the streets, the people, the smells, the flavor of the great beer and the awful whisky, the fashion, the music, the way of thinking of the people living in Dublin… In fact, the SPIRIT of Ireland! (From my modest opinion, I try to run away from stereotypes :P ).

description

William Young is the main character i
Simsala
4,5 stars upped to the full five for saving my weekend!

I was considering giving up reading altogether after starting - or better said trying - to read around 10 books from my tbr pile. Most of them turned out to be not even worth adding them as DNF.
Why did I have to kiss ten frogs (payed for) to find a prince (for free)? Brrrrrrrrrrr.....

Allegiance was a well written story with a great sense of time and place, likeable "real" heroes, secondary characters I wanted to hug and slap around, heart-st
Julio Genao
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
unpolished, but full of heart.

a beginning clumsy with amateurish dialogue and ordinary prose almost drove me to set this aside, but I'm glad I didn't.

sure, I skimmed a bit—but william and adam are charming as hell, and so was every other secondary character in dublin, except for kelly.

kelly chaps my ass.

almost entirely worth the calories for a terrific line in the last scene alone:

(view spoiler)

slain.

I was slain by feelz.
Anna (Bananas)
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical, ireland
I love the historical Dublin setting, the strong female characters, and the central romance between Scottish William and younger, Irish Adam. It felt real and bittersweet. My only complaint is that it was a bit too easy how William insinuated himself amongst the rebels. Overall a very satisfying story.
G.
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5

You love what you bleed for, his father had once said. And sooner or later, you bleed for what you love.

A free m/m historical romance novella set (mostly) in 1920s Dublin. The plot is a bit too convenient, but Allegiance is full of feels of the best kind. If you want to read about a Scot and an Irishman getting their well-earned HEA, look no further.
Cristina
Allegiance. A Dublin Novella by Heather Domin was a truly pleasant and somewhat unexpected surprise.

I've had this book in my TBR for quite a while and for one reason or another, I've always ended up passing it by to prioritise other things. Until, that is, a couple of days ago.

Set in the crucial months of 1922 during which the newly-born Irish Free State was still struggling towards self-determination and was violently stirred by internal and external opposing forces, Allegiance focuses on W
Mel
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-historical

Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
is a story set in 1922, after the Anglo-Irish Treaty and during the following Civil War and the time leading up to it.
We witness the events through the life and fate of William, a Scot, employed by the Brits to infiltrate some supposed IRA supporters.

The author does a wonderful job with creating a rich atmosphere and paints a vivid picture of Dublin and its citizens
Milica
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have no words to describe how deeply touched I was by this novella...I read it yesterday and it's like in my mind I'm still in the streets of Dublin, following William, or in that pub dancing and laughing alongside Adam and him, or just watching William tearing apart, trying to make the right decision, and feeling his inner turmoil as if it were my own. Allegiance is a perfect blend of history and romance...the story about friendship, allegiance, duty, fighting for a freedom and love...and no ...more
Dumbledore11214
D_Fox
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've said it before, I'll say it again- Heather Domin does an amazing job at building historical settings.
The events in Allegiance take place right after the Easter Rising in Dublin (1916) - a time some say it's controversial, for others it's the rebellion that shaped modern Irish history.
She's chosen her main characters to be an Irish, suspected IRA supporter, and a Scot - working for MI5.
And in the middle of all this, she's created a very beautiful and emotional tale of love and bravery. Of
Anna Graham
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A heart-stopping tale of loyalty and love; William’s duty is overshadowed by the honesty he encounters in a Dublin pub. Keen descriptions and tight dialogue frame the action as suspense builds, resulting in a satisfying, touching conclusion. Domin’s strengths are her authentic characters and sharp eye for detail. Great prose!
Feliz
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical
A beautiful story - two strong heroes, a grippingly dire setting and a very satisfying end. Great secondary cast, too, especially Mary and Meg.
karlakolumna
3.5 stars.

This is a free ebook by Heather Dormin, that can be downloaded on smashwords in several different formats, such as Epub, Kindle, PDF...
Link: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

The historical setting is really well done, and I enjoyed reading this book a lot.

The plot--a British spy (well, Scottish, to be exact) on an assignment in Ireland to infiltrate an alleged militant IRA group finding himself falling for one member of said group and beginning to doubt whether he is fighting o
Madeline
Well, it was worth a shot.

You can read this for free online, which is nice: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

It's certainly a compelling premise, but it mostly fails to live up to that - largely, I think, because there's not much sense of place or, indeed, of character. It's totally possible to create vivid settings and characters in a novella, but "Allegiance" doesn't manage that.

Actually, I found it oddly disconnected from the events of the Irish Civil War. Maybe because there's not muc
Isabella
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, kobo
Wow. This was one of the best romantic stories that I've read in a very long time. It's one of those books that you don't want to put down, and when you have to put it down, you just keep thinking about it. The characters are so endearing. It is so well written that it actually brought me to tears in some parts and laughter and joy in others. I recommend this book to everyone who enjoys a good story.
Plainbrownwrapper
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, read-again-maybe
This is a good historical novella, heavy on the period details and light on the expressions of emotion. The emotion is there, but it's much more evident in the action than in the narration.

I have no idea whether the characters' relaxed attitudes towards homosexuality/bisexuality were even remotely appropriate for the period. Given that most of them were devout Catholics I have my doubts, but that would be very interesting to know.
Brenda Cothern
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was amazed that this was a free read! I have not been sucked into a historical for a long, long, time. Thank you! I am looking forward to checking out more of Heather Domin's work!
Patdbooks
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. The author has brought together a wonderful romance with an historical setting and a significant event in Irish history. The characters developed and travelled well and the journey that William traverses to find a 'home' was well crafted. Loved the ending but I do hope it might also be that start of another chapter in a second instalment.
Kat
Charming. But I wish the 1920’s Dublin setting had been able to mask for me that this is a very basic romance with clunky dialogue and cardboard characters. Luckily, a new Peaky Blinders season is in the making.
Gerry Burnie
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gerry B's Book Reviews

4.5 bees

Available for free download at, Smashwords.com

Review by Gerry Burnie

This being the “Irish month” of March, and although I’m a day late for the 17th, Allegiance: A Dublin Novella by Heather Domin [smashwords, 2013] is is my St. Patrick’s Day contribution.

The story is set in the period just after the so-called “Irish War of Independence” (1919 – 1921), and the signing of the Anglo-Irish treaty. William Young is a MI5 (Military Intelligence, Section 5) Agent,
Ari
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
I really really grateful that I was stumbled upon this great-beautiful-heartwrenching story about a MI5 agent who falls with an Irish gun runner during his assignment. Gosh, I still feel the excitement till now! I'm not into historical but this one definitely wins my heart.

1922. William Young is an MI5 informant, using his working-class background to gain the trust of those deemed a threat to the Crown. Tiring of his double life, William travels to Dublin for one last assignment: infiltrating a
Rynn Yumako
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, historical
3.5 stars.

There was a lot of heart in this story and the author obviously knew her history; the whole book was well researched and very real, atmospheric and lively, the characters jumped right off the page. It also had a happy ending, without it turning into a cheesy mess.

I enjoyed the romance between Adam and William, but it was a little too slow for me. Yes, there was obvious sexual tension between them, and some of their scenes together were written beautifully and I will never get tired of
Trix
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about Adam and William.

(view spoiler)
Graham Downs
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because it looked like an interesting spy story. I wasn't familiar with the history behind it, and I didn't know about the male on male romance, at the time.

The premise was good, the pacing was good, and it was well written. The romance was an unexpected and interesting twist, which wasn't my cup of tea but didn't detract at all from the story.

But there's something I can't put my finger on about this book. It took me a long time to get through (over a month, in fact). It's
Kukko
A thought-provoking MM romance set in the 1920s - at the start of the IRA conflict.

This is the story of WIlliam, an enigmatic Glaswegian turned spy for the British MI5 and Adam a charismatic younger man - member of the IRA. Their romance starts under the worst possible circumstance - whilst William is embedded in Adam's cell as a spy for an unscrupulous chief at the MI5. Even though it was obvious from the start that their relationship would have its challenges, it was still heartbreaking to wi
Stav Hen
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. Why 5 stars? because I can't seem to find anything bad to say about this book. The reading went very smooth, easy language, reasonable timeline, I would even go far as to say that it's a very light book. The story in itself is an historical one, and takes place mostly in Ireland. Post!easter-rising Dublin, and in the beginning of Ireland's civil war. So, obviously the air is very heavy, but the writing was so good that the historical facts were just an echo throughout the story, while t ...more
Laylah Hunter
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The part where I forgot to go back to work because I was reading this on my lunch break ought to stand as most of the review, I think. It picks up and moves, and just carries you right along with it. If I have to nitpick (and sometimes I feel like I can't help myself these days), I'd point out that the Crown's representative is such an unbearable shitball that he makes William's loyalty struggles seem too easy; why even consider picking Lord Doucheface's side when the other team is fielding a wh ...more
Jessa Ryan
This had me completely absorbed into 1920's Ireland and I loved it. The characters felt so real and I wish I could have read more on them. The romance both is and isn't the focus of the story. There is so much more to be told so it doesn't do a lot of detail about them falling in love, but you feel it none the less. There were a couple things in it that put it closer to a four star read for me, but when I realized that two days after reading it, I was still thinking about the story, that bumped ...more
Nemesis
I never read something involving Irish settings, especially ones from the past. This well-written story is a combination of historical and romance that really achieves to provide a perspective into the time and the place of a difficult period. Many thanks to the author for writing it and giving it for free!
Julie Rose
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Domin has an uncanny knack for setting an historical scene--just the right amount of detail to really bring the time alive, without being in your face or pedantic about it. The writing is elegant, the characters are full-blooded and complicated, and there's just the right mix of romance and action. A fantastic read.

• How to Belong with a Billionaire (Arden St. Ives, #3)
  • Unfit to Print
  • Band Sinister
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • The Ruin of a Rake (The Turner Series, #3)
  • The Soldier's Scoundrel (The Turner Series, #1)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • Victim of Love
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • Abstract Love
  • Everything Changes (Resilient Love #1)
  • The Long and Winding Road (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #4)
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • Cemetery Boys
  • Fit for the Job
I write historical fiction combining queer romance with a little action/adventure, a little suspense, and a lot of semicolons.