Start by marking “A Message to Garcia” as Want to Read:
A Message to Garcia

A Message to Garcia

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  1,364 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Reading and discussing Hubbard's small classic, "A Message to Garcia" should be a pre-requisite for anyone about to work anywhere for a boss. Much is written about leaders, and this book helps to fill the huge gap in what is written for and about followers. The few minutes it takes to read this book could change the rest of your life. I first read it back in 1985 and I re- ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Readaclassic.com (first published 1899)

Debbie Zapata
This little tract was written in 1899 after a long and trying day where the author could not seem to get any of his employees to do what he expected of them. He explains this in his 'Apologia' section at the beginning.

A friend commented that a man by the name of Rowan was the true hero of the Spanish-American war in Cuba, because he accepted with no questions the order to carry an important message to Garcia, a leader somewhere in the wilds of Cuba. And he managed to get the job done without ask
Gina R
Aug 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Marine
SO first of all I have to say this book is CRAP! Its not even a book. I personally believe it is propaganda, and that it is NOT a coincidence that the author's name is very similar to one L. Ron Hubbard. Hmmmmm....is this really the stuff that we should have our junior Marines reading? I read it as a Lance Corporal (just a lowly E-3), and I hated it. Just one more excuse for someone to chew me out. "Didn't you read A Message to Garcia...LANCE corporal?!" Whatever.
However now that I am an NCO (f
Simon
Aug 24, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some marks may be granted to Mr. Hubbard for his endeavor to demonstrate his idea of the proper way to accomplish a task. However, his notion of very integral parts of completing any undertaking is quite misconceived. To describe A Message To Garcia, in the most gracious way, is to say that the point intended was poorly made.

The author’s fervent admiration of an honest work ethic is to be commended, no doubt. His devotion to the matter seems complete, if not somewhat overly zealous. However, h
Kaj Samuelsson
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this many times. But this version was a bit longer, with an interesting foreword by the author.
This little story might be a good idea to distribute in businesses all over the world and it might raise the loyalty, responsibility and initiative of the workers.
Brittany Sanford
Very good story. Very Short. Worth a try.

As I read the introduction (which is only a few pages itself) I wondered, why am I reading this and what is the point? Well, it gets to the point pretty quickly. It's a 10 minute read.

Very plain an simple, despite a few old timey phrases and a few words I had to look up, but even so I understood it well. It's about Honor, principal, values, and hard work. "Do your job" it exclaims.

It's not about Garcia but about Rowan the man who did his job (taking the
Omnipotent Dystopian Now
I've been meaning to read this for a long time, and it only took me about five minutes to get through it. I was surprised to learn that it's just a small pamphlet containing a short essay about the importance of getting the job done without having someone hold your hand. It addresses the importance of self-determination (and an all too common lack of it). When I read this I thought that it was mostly common sense, but of course, common sense is an uncommon virtue (see what I did there, Marines?) ...more
Melvin Montilla
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente Libro

Te enseña que las cosas tenemos que hacerla en cualquier circunstancias y en cualquier situación. Excelente libro. Felicidades. Muy bueno.
David
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astonishly brilliant in its simplicity. A must read for its message.
Fed
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This long essay, written by Elbert Hubbard, is a speech that needs to be consumed in its entirety; from the beginning to the end, the point that the author is trying to make builds on the previous paragraphs creating crescendo intensity and meaning for the readers.

The message in this essay is powerful: be a person of integrity, keep your word, and carry out the work that you are asked to do quickly, efficiently, and with integrity.

“My heart goes out to the man who does his work when the ‘boss’ i
Lisa Brookshire
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be required reading for job applicants

I see so many people with an "entitled" attitude for no apparent reason except that they exists. Entitled to wages beyond their skill level just because they can't live off of what their education and experience dictates yet they don't want put in the time and effort to bring themselves up. Employees who can't just do the job at hand but seem to spend more energy throbbing to wok. This should be required reading for job applicants - then test them on
  • Rifleman Dodd
  • The Defence of Duffers Drift
  • WARFIGHTING (Marine Corps Doctrinal Publication 1)
  • Once a Marine: An Iraq War Tank Commander's Inspirational Memoir of Combat, Courage, and Recovery
  • Brute: The Life of Victor Krulak, U.S. Marine
  • First to Fight: An Inside View of the U.S. Marine Corps
  • Battle Leadership
  • The Lions of Iwo Jima: The Story of Combat Team 28 and the Bloodiest Battle in Marine Corps History
  • Defeat Into Victory: Battling Japan in Burma and India, 1942-1945
  • How Wars End: Why We Always Fight the Last Battle
  • The Last Full Measure: Death in Battle Through the Ages
  • The Gift of Valor: A War Story
  • The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat
Elbert Green Hubbard was an American writer, publisher, artist, and philosopher. He was an influential exponent of the Arts and Crafts movement and is, perhaps, most famous for his essay A Message to Garcia.

Also known as Fra Elbert Green, for the magazine he edited, Fra.

from http://freepages.history.rootsweb.anc...

For a more detailed look at this life, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbert_H...
More about Elbert Hubbard...
“Opportunities for education should be within the reach of every individual, not for the lucky few.” 12 likes