Start by marking “Milkshake” as Want to Read:
Milkshake

Milkshake

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When she tries to feed her baby in an art museum, new mother Lauren Bruce suffers a wardrobe malfunction -- and becomes a poster child for the breastfeeding wars. A sexy politician, running for Massachusetts governor, enlists Lauren to help her win the women's vote. Breastfeeding advocates, who call themselves the BOOBs, want to make her a true believer. And a group called ...more
Published December 10th 2011 by J Weiss Via Stella Link (first published July 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Milkshake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Milkshake

Darlene
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yvensong, S. Michele, Cheryl in CC NV and other women mothers or not
Recommended to Darlene by: A Kindle freebie
This is a fun and educational read so far. The author takes a controversial subject, breastfeeding, and through her plot and characters shows the various points of view, while keeping it light. Don't worry, those who know me, I will have a huge "review" when I finish reading this delightful book.

*****

This book doesn't let up! That's a good thing. There are no stones left unturned. All aspects of womanhood are addressed, none being perfect, none being wrong. I don't know how Joanna Weiss did it.
Diane
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
A funny and fast-paced political satire on the breastfeeding debate and the so-called "Mommy Wars."

I began reading this with some trepidation ... Would the characters be cruel stereotypes that only fuel the fire of the breast vs. bottle debate? Or could the novel actually explore the complex, often contradictory feelings that women have about breastfeeding and motherhood, in general? I'm pleased to report it was the latter, and the book provided a refreshingly balanced outlook on an issue too of
Ric Weiss
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sly and funny satire of two subjects that are rarely yoked-- breast feeding and politics. Weiss makes it work with inside knowledge of both arenas and a sweetly sardonic tone that engages the reader. Vote for Candace!
Michelle
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting enough to keep me reading, wanted to find out the end of the campaign etc but ending felt very ruahed and abrupt. 18 chapters of build up and then 1 last chapter of trying to end the story. Too rushed out for me.
Bookphile
I absolutely loved this book. I thought it was a fantastic piece of satire that highlights an extremely important underlying issue: namely, the way women gang up against other women rather than directing their anger at the continued oppression suffered at the hands of the patriarchy. As Weiss astutely points out, women are doing a great job of helping to maintain the status quo. A more completely review to follow.

Full review:

Two days after I finished this book, my Google Reader exploded with lin
Robert Beveridge
Joanna Weiss, Milkshake (J Weiss via Stella Link, 2011)

While I was stuck in the hospital at the beginning of 2013, I blew through a bunch of Kindle shorts I'd stacked up over the year or so previously. Not remembering it, I clicked on Milkshake, thinking it was one of said shorts. Nope, it turned out to be a full-length novel. Since I was already deep into a feature-length novel, I put it aside for a while and ended up not getting back to it until very recently. The portion of it I read whilst s
Ceinwenn
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I mostly read on the bus to & from work & this book was another example of me sitting there chuckling to myself, while I am sure my fellow passengers were wondering what was so funny.

Milkshake is about Lauren Bruce, a new mom who is kind of lost. Lost in her new role, feeling like she has lost herself, her identity & is not entirely sure she’s up to the task of being a mom & making all of the right decisions for her baby. Then Lauren heads to the museum with her friend Mia, who i
Beth Peninger
Jul 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
What a ridiculous book. Truly a waste of time and a waste of paper, ink, and the energy it took to format for e-book. Sheesh. Ms. Weiss tried to make a common topic of motherhood, breastfeeding, a political platform and make it funny. In my opinion it just came off as a waste of her time and mine since I choose to read the book. Oy.
Lauren Bruce is a new mom and breastfeeding. But she isn't sure how she feels about it and struggles with it. However she has a friend, Mia, is a breastfeeding Nazi
Jules
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway. It is a story about a new mother, Lauren, who while breastfeeding her baby at a museum, has a bit of a slip-up and ends up exposing herself to a group of teen-agers. One thing leads to another and she finds herself involved with a politician's campaign for governor. One campaign is pro-breastfeeding, the other is pro-modesty.

I think the book touches on various issues of a new mother's thoughts on breastfeeding as well as motherhood. As a mother of two wh
Beccie
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this book in a giveaway from Goodreads First Reads. This is a great book for women, whether you're a mother or not. Joanna brings to light both sides of the breastfeeding debate with an added touch of humor. I thought some of the political scenes were kind of boring and the views from some characters were over the top but like I said... FUNNY. I wasn't breastfed as a child and I'm a pretty healthy individual. My own nephew was breastfed and the kid has terrible eyesight, allergies, and ast ...more
Janin
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The concept is pretty funny: When breast milk and politics combine! It started out slow and a bit uncomfortable, but as it progressed, there were moments that were truly amusing. It's a pretty light read. And I enjoyed the ending. If you've ever nursed, it's going to bring back all sorts of memories. If you haven't, you're probably going to be thankful that you never did (;
Marinn
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Like others, I received my copy through Goodreads giveaways. I was excited to start this book because of the interesting concept. As the book progressed, I had difficulty connecting with the characters which made it feel a little slow at times. All in all, it was a fun, easy read with potential for a good summer beach book!
Brian
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Guys! This book is not just for breast feeding mothers. I read it a was throughly entertained with the story line. War and Peace it is not but it is a very engaging, entertaining, and funny read that is a perfect way to spend a few days of your summer vacation.
Nicole Rego
Jan 18, 2012 marked it as to-read
Just won a free copy from a Goodreads Giveaway---looking forward to diving into it soon!
Victoria Clarke
May 23, 2016
Binnur Eroglu
Feb 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Running from Beige (The Ties That Bind, #1)
  • Seeds of War (Eden's Root Trilogy, #2)
  • Big Backpack - Little World
  • Indie Chicks: 25 Women 25 Stories
  • Third
  • Angel Food and Devil Dogs (Maggie Gale Mystery, #1)
  • Tell Me Why (The Girl God #3)
  • Storm of Arranon (Storm of Arranon, #1)
  • Rainey Nights  (Rainey Bell, #2)
  • A Little F'd Up: Why Feminism Is Not a Dirty Word
  • Seeking Sara Summers
  • Hungry Ghost (Tales of the Pack, #2)
  • Left Behind (No Shelter, #2)
  • Escaping the Twilight
  • Pieces of Eight: A Story of Sex & Love, Trust & Betrayal
  • Agnes Barton Senior Sleuth Mysteries Box Set (Agnes Barton Senior Sleuths Mystery, #1-3)
  • School for Scumbags
  • Lizz Free Or Die
Joanna Weiss is an op-ed columnist for the Boston Globe. Her columns appear, via the New York Times wire, in newspapers across the country. MILKSHAKE is her first novel.
More about Joanna Weiss

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)