Start by marking “The Unraveling (Wool, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Unraveling (Wool, #4)

The Unraveling

(Silo #1D)

There is a legend in their past of an uprising, a war they have learned about, but have learned nothing from

Nobody knows what went wrong. Nobody talks about what happened. Such are the silo taboos.

Now, nearly two hundred years later, the people of the Silo will get a chance to learn more about that distant uprising.

They'll get to start one of their own...
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 166 pages
Published December 25th 2011 by Broad Reach Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Unraveling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unraveling

Pavlina
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This series is like crack. The first story was okay, yet intriguing and sucked me in. It just keeps getting better and better. I find myslef wondering how the silos were set up and how long the people have lived in them. This installement had me wishing the bad guy would get what he deserves, yet the good guys weren't really acting so good. I cant wait for the next installment.
Nataliya
Wool stories are getting longer and remain pretty good. By part 4, sh*t is getting real and the story is getting grittier. The action picks up as we get to witness the uprising in the silo and see the comfortable but stifling order and safety unravel. We finally get to see what lies beyond the hills that used to make the boundary of the visible world for the silo inhabitants.

The characters remain well-written and easy to care about. I still love Juliette, she is a kickass heroine who remains be
Daiva
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Somehow this seems to get better and better. If I start reading more sci-fi stories this year, I'll certainly blame it on Hugh Howey (not that it's a bad thing, quite the contrary) but oh...just only one part left of Wool. Not sure if I'm excited or scared. Probably both. Also, not sure if I should read it instantly or wait a bit...

...decisions... decisions...

Frankly... I doubt I can be that patient... so probably the decision is already made for me.
Camilla
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Part 4 in the Wool series.. What to say, what to say..

In this part, we finally get some of the answers to the many questions that have been building up. Enough answers, though? No. Definitely not.

I still haven’t found out why I like this series. Honestly, I don’t know why. Yes, it’s interesting, and I do want to know.. more, but I’m not hooked in any way. And like I’ve said before, I find the tempo of the book very slow, even when they are running, it’s slow! But ok, if I had to run up 139 level
CS
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wool #4 begins with a very long and drawn out flashback to when child Juliette went to see a play with her parents. This experience is apparently so riveting that child Juliette falls asleep several times (and consequently, so does the reader.)

The entire point of this very long flashback? Apparently just to inform the reader how Juliette got her name. That's it. If you expecting a parallel between stage directors controlling the actors and IT controlling the residents of the Silo - pshaw. No su
John
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed #4 just as much as 1-3. Without providing any spoilers, I'll say that you learn a number of interesting things in this installment, but not too much, due to Howey's enjoyable way of parseling facts out while keeping wanting more. Each time the action moves from one scene of the action to another, disappointment at being left in suspense is quickly replacement with the enjoyment of the next scene. No doubt everyone who has read this book is eagerly awaiting the 5th volume, due to arrive ...more
Caro the Helmet Lady
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Caro by: Milda Page Runner
Shelves: 2016-reads, s-f
This was very good, probably the best part after the first key one. Not like others were worse, no, but they were a tad too slow paced for my tastes, but that's it. I will be taking a little break from the Wool world at the moment, because I start to feel like I'm buried alive in the deep well... but I will definitely come back to it very soon.
Addie H
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Jane Stewart
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian-sci-fi
Good sci-fi ideas, but lacks character development. Not enough showing. It drags.

OPINION ON THE ENTIRE SERIES:
There are five titles in the series. They are not complete stories. They are sections of one long story. The author published as he wrote. I suggest you buy the Omnibus Edition instead of the individual titles, which will save you $1, as of the date of this review. The Omnibus includes all five titles.

At the end of some of the titles I was angry or frustrated at the cliffhanger endings.
David Sven
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book deals a lot with the consequences of the revelations in book three. What happens to Juliette? What will Supply and Mechanical do next? How is Bernard going to try and cover things up this time?

Howey also uses a Romeo and Juliet analogy with quotes from the play at the beginning of the chapters. Our two lovers who never were are obviously Lukas and Juliette - two people from the opposing factions of IT and Mechanical - One appears to die at the end of the last book etc etc.

And we contin
Chris
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Wade McGinnis
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My ramblings on Wool 4:

More Juliette! More Juliette! Yep, she's my favorite character by far. But seriously... I enjoyed the book. Not as much as Wool 3, because I'm just enthralled with Juliette and this book meant I was away from her at times. I enjoyed the progression of her story and her interactions with / meeting of Solo and I can't wait to learn more as Juliette does! If that's the author's plan of course. But I think people (me) really like her confrontation of Bernard. I had a hard time
Peter Cawdron
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just finished Wool 4, and Howey's growth in the maturity of his writing from book to book is evident... the scene is set for a grand conclusion but without the predictable tropes ruling the day
SheLove2Read
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Jason
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
5 Stars

The Unraveling continues the story at a break neck speed adding layers of political poison along the way. Juliette is the real star and her story the fuel to Silo 18.

Howey does a great job at adding in the voice of other characters without distracting from this very tight plot line. I loved the unfolding and unveiling of the lies and evil spread from up top.

"“One of my people was taken, and it was the oldest of us, the wisest of us, who intervened on her behalf. It was the weakest and mo
Rick
I thought this was a nice continuation of the series. I still feel that this was really one novel that was just broken into chunks to be released as a serial. I know some folks were not interested in moving past the first book (or maybe the second) due to the cliffhanger endings but might have had a different opinion if they treated all the volumes as a single work. This one definitely ended with a cliffhanger.

I liked how the story alternated between the two settings but did feel like the folks
Monique
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing story in this series, and more amazing twists. What makes this especially good is that the line between good and evil becomes blurred. I hope there are many more stories to come in this series.
Noneya
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This kept me on my toes the whole time! Every time I think that it can't possiby get any more thought-provoking, it does!

Jeremy Jones
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read Wool 5, Hugh Howey writes with purpose around a well developed plot that keeps you guessing. A great read.
Jessa
Review to come (hopefully this week)...by far the best Wool book yet...I lovedddd it! Now I must somehow patiently await Wool 5 :*(
Chelle
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
With the unraveling, you would think it meant things were coming apart, but it's really just starting to come together.

LOVE. THIS. SERIES.

Can't hardly wait for Wool 5. But, you know, I will.
Siobhan
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hugh Howey writes his stories in such a way that you either buy many little sections to make up the whole book or (you do what I do) you wait until the entire collection is possible in book format. There is nothing wrong with this, I merely find it difficult to review each individual section as, for me, the whole is worth more than the parts.

So, with that in mind, here is a review of the collective for you (so you can make a decision about whether the Wool trilogy is right for you):

I wasn’t quit
Kaila
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Immediately upon finishing it: PURE UNADULTERATED CAPSLOCK AWESOME.

A day later: Amazing characterization. Mr. Howey kills off characters in every story but I never feel like I'm at a loss when he introduces a new one. They immediately fit into the silo society I've come to know, stepping into place because they had always been there, we just didn't know their names. This is the first story with multiple narrators, so it jumps around for each chapter, but he makes it all fit together. I loved the
Regina
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia
#4 in the Wool series is my favorite, which is saying a lot. 1-3 are well-written dystopia fun, #4 is fantastic. #1, 2 and 3 are each told from the point of view of a new character. #4 remains with a character introduced in 3 but adds a new point of view.

What is so good about these books? The character development, the well written and fully fleshed out story that is both solidly built and fast paced. A world so thoroughly described and carefully written that I believe if I was dropped in a sil
Steven van Doorn
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review has spoilers for Wool 1, 2 & 3, but not for book 4.
(view spoiler)
Jason
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Coleen Cloete
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So far, my favourite book in the series. I liked the idea of tapping into the minds of the characters to get first hand insight into what they feel, experience and how they relate to the emotional roller coaster ride events has put them on. I wonder how they will be able to portray this in a movie / series. I will certainly be interesting. I almost feel sad that I have only one left to read. How is that possible? I want more.......more... more.....

Juliet's character really came to life in this b
Netanella
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First paragraph: The walk was long, and longer still for her young mind. Though Juliette took few of the steps with her own small feet, it felt as though she and her parents had traveled for weeks. All things took forever in impatient youth, and any kind of waiting was torture.

The story of Juliette continues in this series that just keeps getting better and better for me. Juliette, the mechanic from the down deep turned sheriff, had been sent to cleaning at the conclusion of the last book. Here,
Jfk111
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-books
Absolutely dope! Holy cow! Could barely put any of the books in this series down!

!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that that's out of the way, there's something really cool about Wool. Something as simple as the title of the series brings it out. These books have a sense of warmth and comfort (like wool) that is rare in sci-fi.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #75 Wool #4 Unraveling 1 2 May 31, 2015 08:52PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Wool Omnibus" The Unraveling *Book 4 Spoilers Only* 19 228 Feb 25, 2014 06:09PM
The Sword and Laser: Wool: Discuss Book 4: The Unraveling 28 191 May 23, 2013 12:18PM

• The Runner (The Runner, #1)
  • The Silo Archipelago
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 6 (Yesterday's Gone, #6)
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #0.50)
  • Childplay (Atopia Chronicles, #2)
  • The Zona
  • Desolation
  • Ecstasy (Debt Collector, #3)
  • The Sky Used to be Blue (Karma #1)
  • Doctor Who Encyclopedia
  • Necropolis (The Shadow Wars, #1)
  • Savage  (Ravaged World Trilogy, #3) (Damienverse, #7)
  • Tales From the Clarke (The Human Division, #5)
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified

Silo (3 books)
  • Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)
  • Shift (Shift, #1-3; Silo, #2)
  • Dust (Silo, #3)
“Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one's conscience to get in the way.” 104 likes
“There were certain things, learned so young and remembered so deep that they felt like little stones in the center of her mind.” 32 likes