Start by marking “The First Bayonet (Ben Williams, #1)” as Want to Read:
The First Bayonet (Ben Williams, #1)

The First Bayonet (Ben Williams, #1)

2006, Cairo.

Egyptian/American citizen Zaina Anwar has been imprisoned by the Mubarak government for subversion. Her cousin, a member of Egypt's elite Unit 777, reaches out to former Delta Force operator Ben Williams with a plea--break his cousin out of prison and ferry both of them to political asylum in the US.

What starts off as a simple rescue operation explodes into an
Published August 30th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published August 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The First Bayonet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Bayonet

Start your review of The First Bayonet (Ben Williams, #1)
Nate Granzow
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Setting oneself apart in the thriller genre is no easy task; even the most-known authors--Flynn, Cussler, Clancy, Thor--suffer from redundancy and predictability. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I'm so impressed with Hildreth's first novel. It skirts the clichés and the expected, but still manages to embody everything I enjoy in a thriller novel.

Though sodden with action, The First Bayonet is hardly a shallow shoot-em-up. Hildreth carefully crafts his characters into complex individuals, each
Zayne
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
The First Bayonet is an action packed, adrenaline pumping book. Williams, a no-nonsense yet feeling man, and Zaina, a smart and capable heroine, are thrown together and made to escape pre-revolution Egypt. Hildreth has mastered the art of giving just enough technical information to keep things real, but not too much so that people who don't like the "weapons speak" don't get bored. His scenes are set up so that you feel like you can see where it is your supposed to be. But Hildreth's best skill ...more
Angela
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hildreth’s debut novella is a fast-paced and adrenaline-infused journey through the prisons and streets of pre-revolution Egypt that had me anxiously turning each page, waiting to see what happens next. I have fallen out of love with the action/military thriller genre in recent years, but this was exactly what I needed to make me want to dive into these kinds of books all over again.

The novella focuses on Ben Williams--a tough, no-nonsense, man of action and a seasoned combat veteran—and Zaina A
Summer
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The First Bayonet is one of the most action-packed, nail-biting, adrenaline-fueled novels I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The thriller/action genre is not my usual literary poison, but I have been converted. Hildreth had me hooked from the first line and kept me there until the last word. I was pleasantly surprised at how adept he is in creating unique, believable characters. Each page held a new surprise, and Hildreth was certainly not afraid to throw everything in his arsenal (pardon th ...more
Fiona Skye
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review, thrillers
The military action thriller genre is generally peopled by one of two types of books. Either they're written by alpha male writers, like Clive Cussler and Richard Marcinko, for men who want to live vicariously and experience dangerous and exciting missions, filled with action and more than one willing woman. The other type is by writers like Robert Ludlum and Tom Clancy, and is for readers who appreciate intelligent, cerebral adventures.

Steven Hildreth's FIRST BAYONET combines both of these type
Jesse Mathewson
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely well written and brilliantly researched beginning to a groundbreaking series.
Adam Quinn
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What I appreciated from the book was its authenticity. It's rare to find a book where the author gets the details right about tactics and weapons and often detracts from a story. You can tell the author knows the subject. Also , finally a good show down between the hero and the villain . That was my main complaint of Marcus Wynne's work and sometimes Clancys .
Chaplain Stanley Chapin
Perhaps my age has affected my reading, but the unbelievable {one individual fighting and killing 5/6 others} time and again with explosives and unique weapons stashed in a country run by a dictator and police state are beyond me.
Bonnie Ferguson
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent action!

Loved this book, action packed and smart. A great look into the world of a operator & the Conflicts in the Middle East.
Erin M
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't recall how I discovered this author or book...But I do remember that it was offered for free via Kindle. I added it to my Amazon account prior to having a smart phone...
When I got my Amazon Fire Phone, I was tinkering with it, learning about it, and rediscovered this! I typically prefer real books, not electronic...It's just how I am...I like the paper, the smell, the tangible item...But I also work in an environment that I cannot have regular paper or outside items...a very clean enviro
Robert Enzenauer
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I admit that I read this first novel second. I was travelling and bought SOVEREIGNS at an airport bookstore. I liked it so very much that I quickly sought out his first novel, THE FIRST BAYONET. This army veteran has written a fast-paced, action-packed military suspense thriller that is in keeping with my other favorite military vet-turned action heroes - like Brian Haig's Sean Drummond, or Brad Thor's Scott Horvath. or Mitch Rapp by VInce Flynn or Lee Child's Jack Reacher. The characters are we ...more
Robert Enzenauer
William Wygle
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The First Bayonet written by Steven Hildreth Jr. is a two fisted military action thriller that will keep your adrenaline pumping almost to the end. One of small faults with the book is that the story is a solid action tale up to the last couple of chapters where spends the remainder of the book cleaning up the political loose ends. I enjoyed the action far more than the political intrigue.
A nice start for Mister Hildreth.
Holly Bargo
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping and tautly written

I delayed in reading this, but am glad I finally did. There are a few editorial bobbles, but the story is so good that the minor errors did not detract from it. Hildreth is on my TBR list of authors and that's a very short list.
Bill Barnes
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Wow

Seeing that this is a first for Mr. Children I am impressed. Some of the scenes were forced and a tad unbelievable but
Lee
Oct 19, 2012
Mark
Sep 28, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Amazon Job (Case Lee #4)
  • Arabian Deception (A Pat Walsh Thriller #1)
  • The New Guinea Job (Case Lee #2)
  • The Somali Affair (A Pat Walsh Thriller #6)
  • Arabian Vengeance (A Pat Walsh Thriller #2)
  • Arabian Fury (A Pat Walsh Thriller #3)
  • Rising Sea (A Pat Walsh Thriller #5)
  • The Q Dilemma: A Pat Walsh Thriller
  • The Suriname Job
  • Arabian Collusion (A Pat Walsh Thriller #4)
  • The Caribbean Job (Case Lee #3)
  • The Hawaii Job (A Case Lee Novel Book 5)
  • Protecting his Witness (Shattered SEALs, #1)
  • Resisting his Target (Shattered SEALs, #2)
  • Delta Force: Cannon (Wayward Souls Book 1)
  • Delta Force: Colt (Brotherhood Protectors World / Wayward Souls Crossover)
  • Delta Force: Six (Wayward Souls Book 3)
  • Mission: Her Freedom (Team 52, #6)
Steven Hildreth, Jr. is an author, Iraq War veteran, and firearms enthusiast.

Upon leaving the active duty Army, Hildreth set out to become a thriller novelist. He has published four novels between two series, with plans to publish more in the near future.

In October of 2015, Hildreth reached the national stage with a Facebook post revolving around a traffic stop with the Tucson Police Department, u