Start by marking “Soul Eater NOT!, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Soul Eater NOT!, Vol. 1

Soul Eater NOT!, Vol. 1

(Soul Eater NOT! #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  765 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Ding-dong! DEAD-dong! Class is about to begin, and you don't want to be late on your first day of school! Join Tsugumi Harudori in the NOT class at Death Weapon Meister Academy, a school dedicated to training transforming Weapons like Tsugumi and the Meisters who will wield them. Many NOT (Normally Overcome Target) students aspire to join the elite EAT (Especially Advantag ...more
Published July 24th 2012 by Yen Press (first published September 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Eater NOT!, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Eater NOT!, Vol. 1

Chitsuki
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved Soul Eater's main series so I tried out this sequel/spin-off. What I personally like about the main series was all the drama, fight scenes, hilarious adventures but this series is WAY too shoujo, WAY too pink and rather different from the main series. I read the first 2 chapters of this and I gave up. I can't really like this series after the halloweenish, badass, humorous main series. I would rather recommend you read this series first if you have these same 'Cannot accept the shoujo ge ...more
Avril Anderson
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A really nice spin-off of one of my favorite anime: Soul Eater. It's really funny and the characters are not that bad. It's more like Soul Eater with moe added to it.
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This takes place around the same time the regular Soul Eater manga takes place, except it follows different main characters.
Every once and a while though, you'd see your old favorites (Maka, Soul, Black Star, Kim, Ox, etc. No Kid for this volume though. :( ) and that was a nice touch.

I really enjoyed this manga, but the artwork was extremely poor. However, Atsushi Ohkubo is known to have crappy artwork, so I ignored it.
If you love Soul Eater, pick up this charming spin-off series.
Jessica
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this. The characters are interesting and the storyline was good for the first one.
Drucilla
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This review is for the entire series (5 vol.). So besides the disproportional amount of fan service, I thought this was a pretty good series. The characters were varied and the story was fun. Surprisingly, it was actually a great companion series. It's a prequel, which works really well, and gives the reader a better understanding of DWMA and certain events in Soul Eater. It also brings in characters and situations from the original series. But the things from the original series don't overpower ...more
Allie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-the-stars, manga
This was fun! I really liked it.

I found out when I went to post this that this is a companion story to Soul Eater. Oops! I haven't read that. But regardless, I really liked this.
Scott Lee
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too shojo for me. Seemed well enough done, but definitely not my kind of thing.
Theresa ♫
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Alright, this is my first review from my iPhone's goodread's app!

You know...the same app that updates the wrong status to the wrong book at the worst of times...T_T For this review, I hope for the best!

Anyway, if this does end up being a pretty lengthy review, it just proves that I handled all the ninjetic typing over an iPhone screen. (Keyboards are way more comfortable!)

Anyway...Soul Eater NOT...

My dearies, I started Soul Eater (the anime) not too long ago. IT WAS AWESOME!!! It ranks as #3 on
Megan M
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read or watched the original SOUL EATER, you are missing out on one of the best series in a long time. (And at the time of this post, all 51 episodes are streaming on Netflix and the manga series is being released in English from Yen Press.) My boyfriend and I fell in the love with the series a couple of years ago and when I heard that a companion series had been released, I knew I needed right away. Soul Eater NOT! follows Tsugumi Harudori, a brand new weapon student at the Death ...more
Nicole
Many spinoffs have trouble standing on their own. They're usually just more of the same stuff as the original, and the reader needs to be a fan of the original to enjoy the spinoff and know what's going on. This closure to new readers is frequently what dooms them. Soul Eater Not does not have that problem. Someone who has no idea what Soul Eater is could read and enjoy Not. They would obviously miss some of the cameos and other treats like that, but they could understand what's going on just fi ...more
Caitlin K
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Soul Eater Not! is a spin-off series to Soul Eater, sporting new protagonists as they live and work among the familiar faces of Death City. Founded by the Grim Reaper himself, Death City is home to DWMA, the "Death Weapon Meister Academy," a special school where humans capable of transforming into living weapons are paired with "meisters," weapons experts who use their partners to battle evil.

Tsugumi Harudori, a fledgling weapon, finds herself attending the Academy for the first time in search
Josh
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Soul Eater NOT! is a spectacular manga that takes place in the same world as the original series, Soul Eater. I was excited when I first saw that there was a new series of Soul Eater, as it was the first manga I ever read. After reading the first volume, I wanted to read it again, and again, and again. It was truly spectacular how it kept the same spirit of Soul Eater, but added new problems and a whole new perception of The DWMA (Death Weapon Meister Academy). Atsushi Ohkubo continues to impres ...more
Jay
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, audiobook
My son recommended this book, but then said (once I had started it) that I might want to read some of the related "Soul Eater" books first.

Of the 6 sections in here, I really enjoyed two of them. My thing with mangas: I like the background story, but I'd like one frame that says "they fight" and then move to the end of the battle. I really don't need to see all the details of the battle, no mayyer how vcool the drawings are.

I do really like the main three female characters and their relationship
Sarah Hayes
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
It was adorable, fluffy, entertaining, enjoyable, and everything I didn't think I would enjoy from this pastel pink and purple spin-off of Soul Eater. And I loved the main trio of girls, especially pouty-faced Anya. I hope the anime adaptation is as enjoyable!

My full thoughts (with a probably unnecessary comparison to LOST) on the premiere volume of SOUL EATER NOT! can be read at my manga blog.
Kayla Asher
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
im not sure how he does it, but this series has the distinct flavor of his wit and style, but has a completely new sound. i love love love his art, and the storyline so far is brilliant! its pretty cool too because i remember asking myself in the original series "where is the third gorgon sister?" and now she has lace hair, and shes not too creepy and her boobs dont go down to her waist. so yayy! i also love how he captured the young girl butterflies so well. i cant wait for more!
Mel Staten
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, owned-books
As someone who wants to explore the world of Soul Eater, but who couldn't get through the actual series because of the gratuitous and gross fanservice, I appreciate Soul Eater NOT! a lot. It's sort of K-On meets Soul Eater, so there's really nothing to dislike. The characters are a lot less badass and a lot more cutesy, but they're likable, and I'm looking forward to reading more. The Soul Eater character cameos are pretty great, too.
Jenna
Jan 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Finished volume two. Need to look this series up and see if it's supposed to be a reboot / Alternate Universe for Soul Eater or if it's the sequel, because I wasn't sure how to take each of the main SE characters (whether or not the events that happened in the SE storyline had happened to them yet). The drawing style doesn't seem as dynamic and dramatic as in Soul Eater and is a rather wishy-washy storyline so far. It started to pick up the pace slightly but still..
Shaun
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've seen the anime and I want to read the original Soul Eater manga, but Soul Eater Not! is a pretty fun read. I like seeing the DWMA from a different perspective. The three girls are funny and I have to admit it cute. I do feel this manga focuses more on the social life of the DWMA students and not the battles. I guess this is why it is called NOT (Normally Overcome Target).
Kate
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So cute!!!!! This was so sweet it made my teeth hurt. Not being a huge fan of fight scenes/action I was thrilled with the departure from them in this book. Strong female friendship, nods to the original series, and a romance (?) make this manga super fun!
Emma
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013, comics, manga
I picked this up expected a cute, fun Soul Eater spin-off, but there's some sturdy world building behind this volume that adds a lot to the anime and original manga.

It seems to be working hard to tackle themes the original series didn't, and it's a fascinating read because of that.
Lara
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A little different from the original Soul Eater series, but still just as much fun so far--I'm enjoying meeting the new characters and also getting to see many old characters again from a different perspective. Definitely looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Jessie Radford
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have really enjoyed this series since it has came out, I don't care if people say they perfer Souleater. Don't get me wrong I love that series too. But this one is very refreshing. It's from a girls point of view who isn't very sure of herself and has just started DWMA so enjoy!
Mal
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-graphic, own

I've watched the anime already, and it started out really great (same with this manga, naturally) but as it goes on I feel sort of disappointed. This could have been the coolest shit, but the main characters are so whiny and irritating and ... Useless. Sad.
Bethany Gallagher
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014books
I thought this was a really interesting read! It is the first manga I have read and it lived to the expectations I needed. I loved the graphics and the drawings, they were so detailed and...it was just amazing!
Amanda Wallace
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Good beginning, nice introduction of characters. I don't think I'd be a fan of this if I weren't so obsessed with the original Soul Eater series! but for the sake of that obsession, I will see where this series goes, hopefully Soul and Maka are re-occurring characters in it.
Denisa
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another rating: 8/10
Kasura
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I need to own this manga. It's adorable, and I love the cameos.
Jeremy
Jul 23, 2012 added it
Cute, fun, predictable (after having watched the Soul Eater anime). The art is well done - buildings, dishes, outdoor scenes are rendered with the most ridiculous care.
Sadie
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I am so excited to dive into Soul Eater NOT! Vol. 1 t'was good for establishing characters and their personalities, but I'm anticipating the deeper, darker parts.
Abrett
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very good manga! I can't wait to read the second one. My favourite character is Anya because she's hilarious and is so envious of Meme! Definitely worth reading.
  • Toradora! Vol. 1
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries, Vol. 1 (Sorcerers & Secretaries, #1)
  • NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 1 (Nora, #1)
  • 青の祓魔師 12 [Ao no Exorcist 12] (Blue Exorcist, #12)
  • Monster Soul 1
  • Jiu Jiu, Vol. 1
  • 07-Ghost 11
  • Omamori Himari, Vol. 1
  • アイリス・ゼロ 1 [Iris Zero 1]
  • Barajou no Kiss, Vol. 6 (Barajou no Kiss, #6)
  • Hana-Kimi 24: After School
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 16 (D.Gray-man, #16)
  • Witch Hunter Vol. 1-2
  • Maoh: Juvenile Remix, Vol. 1
  • Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Vol. 4
  • Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning, Vol. 01
OHKUBO Atsushi

Atsushi Ōkubo (大久保 篤 Ōkubo Atsushi?), also romanized as Atsushi Ohkubo, is a Japanese manga author and fantasy artist known for his work on the manga series Soul Eater, which has been adapted into an anime. Okubo worked as an assistant under Rando Ayamine, on the manga series Get Backers. He also created artwork for various cards for the Lord of Vermillion game.

Atsushi Ōkubo was not

Soul Eater NOT! (5 books)
  • Soul Eater NOT!, Vol. 2