Start by marking “Asunder (Dragon Age, #3)” as Want to Read:
Asunder (Dragon Age, #3)

Asunder (Dragon Age #3)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  3,726 Ratings  ·  279 Reviews

Return to the dark fantasy world created for the award-winning, triple platinum game, Dragon Age™: Origins in this third tie-in novel!

A mystical killer stalks the halls of the White Spire, the heart of templar power in the mighty Orlesian Empire. To prove his innocence, Rhys reluctantly embarks on a journey into the western wastelands that will not only reveal much more t
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Asunder, please sign up.

Richard Lewis I'd have to say, no, the game is better than the book, but this is a different place and later time than DA:O and DA2 and in Orlais rather than…moreI'd have to say, no, the game is better than the book, but this is a different place and later time than DA:O and DA2 and in Orlais rather than Ferelden, but I still enjoyed it. As to the comic idea, there are comics featuring Alistair, Isabela, and Varric that take place after the first game.(less)

Bookdragon Sean
How do you stop a murderer who is invisible and doesn’t, technically speaking, even exist?

Not easily that’s for sure. Only one man can actually see him and he dare not give his perceptions voice because everybody will think he is utterly insane. Even a mention of the murderer’s name is forgotten by the hearer as some dark magic lingers over his words. Rhys knows he is not mad, but he can’t even communicate these ideas to anyone so he is forced to remain silent.

“And worse, there was the music. H
Amy
Sep 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: game
As a reasonably big fan of the Dragon Age series, I thought it might be prudent to read Asunder, which takes place not long after the second game, and offers some insight into what might be happening in the third game.

While I have a lot of respect for what goes into the making of video game worlds, and I think Thedas is actually a really fantastic place with a great and well-written culture and history, I think Gaider should avoid writing novels at all costs.

The book had some interesting insight
Alison
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sf
This is the first, and will probably be the only, Dragon Age tie-in novel I have read. I thought I'd give it a go because a) Gaider is an exceptionally good writer of characters (for those readers who don't play story-based video games, yes video games have characters, and plots, and stuff. And they have around 60 hours of screentime to play with to do it); and b) rumour was it had important background info to bridge the gap between Dragon Age 2 and 3.

Both were valid enough. The characters are s
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

Dragon Age is the series of well done high fantasy games. Every game is so well done that you have a feeling you are reading a book instead of playing it. This book is a prequel for Dragon Age III: Inquisition.

I believe people who never heard of these games would be a bit confused as to what is happening and who the characters are, because you do see most of them through the games. Wynne from the first game, your companion and a mage. Shale, a stone golem, also one of you
Mayesha
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I loved it. I just loved it. I loved most of the characters and even wanted to shake them by their shoulders sometimes for being SO stupid. And at other times, I wanted to hug- nay, KISS- them.

(view spoiler) I love the dark fantasy world he created. I love how REAL the characters are, how believable their actions and mistakes ar
Mrs Giggles
I don't remember purchasing Asunder, so it is a good thing that I stumbled upon it in my pile of unread books, just when I was thinking of getting a copy. You see, the video game Dragon Age: Inquisition is coming out later in 2014, and as one of the few people who enjoyed both the games that came before it, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2, equally, I wanted some Dragon Age meat to sink my teeth into while waiting for that game. Okay, that sounds obscene, but I am an impatient person.

As this
Annie
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny how a simple change of perspective can alter your entire impression of a book. I went in on this novel preparing for the worst, having read reviews both here and elsewhere that made "Asunder" out to be lacking.

And was it really? As a standalone novel: yes. The story expands upon the events taking place between the second and third instalments of the Dragon Age games, specifically the political upheaval for the civil war that sets the stage for Dragon Age: Inquisition. And for the uni
Jenn
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge fan of the Dragon Age series of games and books, I had high hopes for Asunder, and Mr. Gaider delivered.

Although I enjoyed the first two books Mr. Gaider wrote (The Stolen Throne and The Calling), my interest was mostly due to the history and lore of Ferelden and the Grey Wardens imparted by the story. The characters and stories themselves were all right, but not the main draw.

With Asunder, that changed. I found the lore intriguing, but the real plus to this story is the characters
George Collier
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joseph
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best of the Dragon Age tie-in novels; paradoxically(?), it's also arguably the least accessible to someone who hasn't played the games. It takes place a few years after the events of Dragon Age 2 and deals, in part, with repercussions of the events in Kirkwall. If you've played the games, you'll be happy to spend time with familiar faces and to see what I can only assume is the groundwork being laid for Dragon Age 3. If you haven't played the games, you won't have the contex ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Dragon Age: Asunder by David Gaider 1 6 Dec 07, 2015 11:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: Delete/combine editions request 2 14 Jan 29, 2014 05:27AM
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
  • Last Flight (Dragon Age, #5)
  • Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 2
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Mass Effect: Redemption
  • Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls, #2)
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • Mass Effect: Evolution
  • The Silver Tide (The Copper Cat, #3)
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • The Art of Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Twilight (StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #3)
  • Dragon Age, Volume 1
  • Coalition's End (Gears of War, #4)
  • Diablo: Demonsbane (Diablo, #0)
  • Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
David Gaider lives in Edmonton, Alberta, and has worked for video game developer BioWare since 1999. He is the lead writer on the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins role-playing game and has previously worked on such titles as Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Neverwinter Nights.
More about David Gaider...

Dragon Age (5 books)
  • The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)
  • The Calling (Dragon Age, #2)
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
  • Last Flight (Dragon Age, #5)
“Being Tranquil didn't sound so bad to him. He'd been terrified of being swallowed up by the darkness for so long it seemed like it would be a relief to get it over with. You were only scared of becoming nothing until you were nothing.

Just like dying”
8 likes
“Shale’s answers were, for the most part, sarcastic. When asked what kind of rock it consisted of, Shale answered “petrified nug droppings.” When asked how it was created, Shale responded with a long explanation of mother golems and father golems which Pharamond believed for five whole minutes. When asked how it could see through those points of lights in its eye sockets, Shale commented that it actually preferred tearing the eyeballs out of flesh creatures and using them instead—elven ones in particular.” 2 likes