Start by marking “Jonas (Krásní mrtví, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jonas (Krásní mrtví, #1)

Jonas (Beautiful Dead #1)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  4,632 Ratings  ·  406 Reviews
Nejsou živí. Nejsou mrtví. Něco mezi tím. V průběhu jednoho roku zemřou za podivných okolností čtyři mladí, krásní lidé, studenti ellertonské střední školy. Jonas, Arizona, Summer a - Phoenix. Ta poslední smrt zasáhne Darinu nejvíc. Byl to její kluk, její veliká, největší láska… Je její setkání s Krásnými mrtvými skutečné? Co znamenají ta andělská křídla, která vidí, slyší ...more
Published March 2011 by Fragment (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jonas, please sign up.

Rebecca
This book irked me for many reasons... (Listed in the order that they annoyed me as I read it)

Firstly, the names! How many people do you know with names like Phoenix, Arizona, Darina and HUNTER (esp as he would have been named aaages ago... not exactly a realistic name)? Now, does practically everyone you know have kinda kooky names like that? Probably not! It's fine to have odd names for your SIMs or whatever, but not in books!!!!

Secondly, all the Twilight copying..... I mean, obviously it got
Kim
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rach Arthur
"I miss you so much. It hurts so much. More than an ache- a sharp pain, like a knife in my heart."

"And now I'm holding you, I can see your blue eyes, feel your soft lips."

My god. I can't believe there's actually a book MORE dramatic than Twilight out there.
Kristen
I have to be very honest about this book. I didn't like it. The beginning confused the snot out of me. In the opening scene, Darina is in the middle of nowhere looking at an old decrepit house. No clue why she's there, but her boyfriend Pheonix just died two days ago and low and behold he is there, with 3 other dead kids and a guy described as "An older guy, with grey hair". And to be honest, the descriptions of characters does not progress - at all. One of the girls is described as "fair-haired ...more
Olivia
It was the plot (and the cover, to be honest) that made me pick up this book. I was hoping for an epic story of love, angels and horror. But unfortunately, I didn't get that. I really love the idea for this series, and it could have been really good! But it wasn't.

All the characters were boring. Flat. It feels like the author was like "Okay, so I've got this good idea. But damn it, I can't write a book without characters!" The were all kind of predictable and without any personalities. If I had
Rems
May 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-books, youth
I think I really, really, really wanted to like this book when I picked it up. The premise looked good. The cover looked good, dark and mysterious. But it just didn't quite cut it. I've been fumbling with the idea of giving this three stars or more, or less, but I think it's three. I did enjoy it - not as much as I wanted to - and some parts of it irked me off unbelievably. But it gave me suspense when I needed it, some of the romance orientated stuff finally cut out of being corny and sounded b ...more
Kristine
Nov 15, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am trying to think of one redeemable thing about this book and I find myself coming up short. At some point in the third chapter I decided to take notes on the things I disliked about the book, but there were so many that it was taking too long for me to read the book and I just wanted to be done with it. There are so many things wrong with this book; the characters were un-relatable, the situations were unbelievable, the setting was just stupid. Just about every sentence I came across somethi ...more
John
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Beautiful Dead

Author: Eden Maguire

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

This book made me completely and utterly stumped as to how to rate it. I had seen it in stores, and loved the premise and cover, but never picked it up. When I got offered an ARC from teensreadtoo, I jumped on the chance. And I still can't figure it out. On one hand, it wasn't amazing, and has first-novel-in-series syndrome, on the other...it was fun and slightly dark and cool to read.

Eden Maguire introduces us to our protagoni
Nora Cayetano
Nov 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gente que disfrutó la saga Crepúsculo
Mientras espero a que mi copia de Days of Magic, Nights of War cruce la aduana, ¿qué mejor que dedicarme a leer libros tranquilos y que no me hagan pensar en exceso? Además, este cuenta una historia que SEGURAMENTE nadie había contado antes...

Phoenix, el guapo e inteligente, pero rebelde novio de Darina, no está vivo ni muerto. Todo mundo en el pueblo lo da por muerto y sepultado, menos ella, que lo ha visto congregado junto a otros muertos recientes en una granja oculta en medio del bosque.
Lo

Title: Jonas
Series: The Beautiful Dead #1
Author: Eden Maguire
Overall Rating: 3.9

Darina has lost everything, her one true love died. Stabbed to death in a gang fight. And now as she wonders aimlessly in the Alpines near her house, she comes across an old farmhouse with her dead boyfriend Phoenix inside, along with three other dead kids and she truly believes she has gone insane. But if there’s a chance that Phoenix is really there, and really a
Amelia
DNFing at page 128. I have a to-read list as long as my lifetime and I'm not wasting another moment on this melodramatic teenage eternal love crap (or the heroine who is amazed by that incredibly long and complex word "intermittent" - in other words, she's a moron; or the hero with his lame superpowers - he can talk to a "buddy" a whole mile away. Heaven forbid they have mobile phones and a more interesting power). I find it extremely hard to believe that the author has a PhD in English Literatu ...more
Siobhan
The concept of the book made it an enjoyable quick read. It was something different compared to what the usual teenage books are offering up (in the sense that this is not a vampire love story). However, I found the main character to be somewhat of a cliché: almost as though the usual love-struck teenage girl from the vampire stories had been thrown into something different.

Nevertheless, the idea itself is great if you’re looking for a quick read. Plus the way it is set out leaves you curious to
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating: 4.05

This book was a great read. I thought the story was good and the characters were awesome. The story did tend to make me bored at times, but the ending made the book worth the read. I thought that the premise to be unique and different. Definitely recommend to fans of the YA genre. It is great, but there could have been improvements to the story to make it amazing. Can't wait to read the next book! Arizona...here I come.
Alexis Steven
Jul 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prestados
No saben, yo de este libro esperaba mucho hasta que una compañera bloggera me dijo que ella no pudo continuar leyendo, porque simplemente no es bueno. Entonces, cuando tenía las expectativas en ceros lo empecé creyendo que a mí me gustaría más, dejándome llevar por esa hermosa portada, por esa chica alada que tal vez me daría una historia que disfrutaría en cada página, pero triste realidad… no es para nada una historia que le haga justicia a la portada.

La historia nos cuenta la desdicha que suf
Lör K.
Something strange is happening in Ellerton High. Phoenix is the fourth teenager to die within a year. His street fight stabbing follows the deaths of Jonas, Summer and Arizona in equally strange and sudden circumstances. Rumours of ghosts and strange happenings rip through the small community as it comes to terms with shock and loss.
Darina, Phoenix's grief-stricken girlfriend, is on the verge. She can't escape her intense heartache, or the impossible apparitions of those that are meant to be de
Mariné Ponce
uff al fin se ha acabado, pensé que nunca llegaría al final.
...Llevo una racha últimamente...

60% de culpa: La Traducción
What a pity de book... ¿Por qué hacen esas cosas? Es realmente deprimente que una traducción aniquile (véase también matar, destruir, masacrar) un libro de esa manera. Con lo que se gastaron en la portada podrían haberse estirado un poquito más con los traductores (y sé de muy buena fuente que hay muchos en paro). Ya sé que la crisis nos afecta a todos, pero...

Al leerlo me cost
Dark Faerie Tales
Quick & Dirty: A good first entry to what promises to be an interesting paranormal series.

Opening Sentence: The first thing I heard was a door banging in the wind.

The Review:

First Jonas, then Summer, followed by Arizona, and now Phoenix is the fourth student from Ellerton High to die within a year. Darina, Phoenix’s girlfriend is caught in the grip of grief’s talons and having a hard time dealing with his death. Then Phoenix appears with the sound of beating wings and tells her about the Bea
Davina is 17, and has recently lost the love of her life Phoenix in a fight which ending in him being stabbed and bleeding to death. She's struggling to come to terms with it, but Phoenix is not the first teen to have died in her year. Over the past 12 months Jonas has died in a bike crash, Arizona has drowned, and Summer has been shot.

Walking in the woods one day Davina comes across a barn, and inside are four people she recognises - Phoenix, Jonas, Arizona, and Summer. All are pale and beautif
Darkfallen
So I will try to keep this short and sweet.

Darina's boyfriend Pheonix gets stabbed in a fight. He was trying to defend his brother, Brandon, and lost his life for it. No one knows who exactly was responsible for his death. This wasn't the only tragedy in this town however. Over the last year 4 teenager's have lost their lives in various "accidents". While the town morns the loss of these teenagers things begin to happen. Darina sick over losing Pheonix, can't eat or sleep, and now she is seeing
Ellz Readz
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts... BLINK. This book was very easy to read and I literally devoured it. When I first saw the cover, I thought "looks very cool". Then I read I heard the word zombies and thought, UGG, but forged ahead anyway. Let me just say that I am so glad I did.

The plot of the story was very unique. Darina found her recently deceased boyfriend alive and well, surrounded by his undead classmates. No vampires, zombies, but not it the theatrical sense. The book held something for everyone, mystery,
McKenzie
Mar 21, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Elterton High is odd, and strange things are happening. Four students have died within the last year, Phoenix being the most recent. Phoenix was Darina's boyfriend, and now she's going crazy. She's having headaches and is always hearing wings beating. Then she stumbles upon an old barn where she sees Phoenix and the other dead students gathered together - their spirits that is. They call themselves the Beautiful Dead. What is going on and how can Darina help them?

I'll keep this review short and
Lilith
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tengo muchísimos libros pendientes, deberia terminar de leer El Diosero, Colección Marquez de Sade, La divina comedia y Hex Hall, que deje' pendientes por las semanas tan ocupadas que tuve este mayo, pero hoy que fui al mercado y vi su seccion de libros tuve que aprovechar que tenían el 20% de descuento y me hice de este libro que le tenía ganas desde hace rato. En lo que esperaba en el banco me puse a leerlo y me encanché tanto que no pude soltarlo.

El libro me ha encantado, me atrapó desde el
GateGypsy
I'm less forgiving than some reviewers. I wanted so desperately to like this book. There are elements of it that I really appreciated (the fact that Darina was capable of standing up for herself, the fact that she knew how to say "no.") I also really appreciated that her relationship with Phoenix, although physical, was not all about sex, and that he was interested in her well-being and an attentive boyfriend.

A few things would have improved this book. One of them would have been completely omit
Jan 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read the first "Beautiful Dead" book by Eden Maguire, but failed. I felt like I was reading a piece of work by one of my year 9 students! The pacing was off and the characters seemed predictable... perhaps it gets better as you get into it, but that's hardly a commendation.

I dislike giving bad reviews as I appreciate the time and effort it takes to write a book. However, even as a confessed lover of YA lit, this book was just too juvenile in its approach...at least for me.

Plenty of
Erik Saenz
Apr 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OMG, que libro tan aburrido, y con una de las peores protagonistas ever, o sea se le muere el novio con el que solo tenia saliendo 2 meses, y ya se quiere morir por que era el amor de su vida (Are u fucking kiddin me?) y cuando se le aparece, como si nada la tipa ni se sorprende ni nada. El "misterio" es mas aburrido y sin chiste que te da igual lo que haya pasado y solo quieres terminar el libro. Ni para pasar un rato esta. Si no tienes NADA pero NADA que hacer, se fue la luz, no tienes pila en ...more
Lorena
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aunque en realidad le doy un aprobado, siguiendo las puntuaciones de Goodreads debo usar las dos estrellas. It was ok. Ya está. No ha sido el libro de mi vida, pero tampoco uno que odiase. Como la mayoría de libros de este tipo, es fácil de leer (aunque lo he encontrado bastante más denso en cuestión de la narración que la mayoría, con descripciones y todo), pero falla a la hora de crear unos protagonistas definidos y profundos y captar al lector en la historia.

Kirsty
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-author, ukya
i enjoyed this book on the whole as it was a new take on the gendre. I did have a few complaints however. The main character is a wimp and not all that likeable. When reading it, it feels like a section should be on the front to introduce her - which would probably make me like her more. I also didn't like the outcome and though the morals of the story were somewhat odd and not really appropriate for the age group the book is intended for.
Alexandra
Dec 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awful. Truly awful. No description of the characters. They were so flat and two dimensional. Almost like ideas of characters. I didn't connect with or feel a thing for any of them. It was a cheesy, predictable, horrible story. I'm trying to think of one redeeming quality about it and I can't.
Luc
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Táto kniha má celkom zaujímavú a peknú myšlienku, autor nám do príbehu síce zamotal nesmrteľných, no zároveň im nechal len 12 mesiacov tejto nesmrteľnosti.

Darina sa síce sem tam správa ako Bella (Súmrak), ale sa mám takéto knihy rada, až tak veľmi mi to nevadilo.

Celkovo na mňa kniha pôsobila príjemne a oddychovo. Mám rada takýto typ knižiek.
Veronika
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
4 stars

Quite a good story where I didnt really know what to expect.
The characters were fine, storyline interesting and the main idea interesting, what I was a bit confused by is the ending with the re-watching - why didnt they do it sooner??
Otherwise it was ok :)
What's the Name o...: Teens who have died [s] 5 57 Sep 11, 2012 02:37AM
TeenReads: Beautiful Dead #1 Jonas by Eden Maguire Book Review 1 5 Sep 02, 2011 10:50AM
The Beatiful Dead Series 5 19 Aug 31, 2011 06:49AM
  • My So Called Death (Dead High, #1)
  • Fever (Dark Touch, #3)
  • Guarding the Vampire's Ghost (Green's Hill, #3)
  • Beautiful Beings (Beautiful Beings, #1)
  • Moondance of Stonewylde (Stonewylde, #2)
  • Love Struck
  • Blood Brothers
  • Daemon Eyes (Daemons, Inc., #1 & #2)
  • The Julian Game
  • Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1)
  • Give Up the Ghost
  • UnGuarded
  • Dark Heart Rising (Dark Heart, #2)
  • Walk of the Spirits (Walk, #1)
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • Blood Ties (Darke Academy, #2)
  • Possessions (Possessions, #1)
  • I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It
Eden Maguire graduated from Birmingham University with a PhD in English Lit and now lives in the Yorkshire Dales with her two daughters, her horse, Merlin, plus a dog and a cat.

She spends part of each year at a ranch in Colorado, where she rides alone in the mountains – her idea of perfect happiness.

Whenever she can, she loves to indulge her passion for travel and take in the world's major citie
More about Eden Maguire

Beautiful Dead (4 books)
  • Arizona (Beautiful Dead, #2)
  • Summer (Beautiful Dead, #3)
  • Phoenix (Beautiful Dead, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Girls on Fire
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • What to Say Next
  • We Are Okay
    $10.99 $2.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • Salt to the Sea
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
  • Now Is Everything
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire
  • If There's No Tomorrow
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Words on Bathroom Walls
  • American Street
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Hunted
  • Words in Deep Blue
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Wax
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • The Pants Project
  • Hoot
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Black Swan Green
    $11.99 $1.99
“I sat on the barn floor wishing that the storm would gather me up and hurl me against the mountains, smashing me into a thousand pieces.” 3 likes