Start by marking “Extraordinary Circumstances: The Journey of a Corporate Whistleblower” as Want to Read:
Extraordinary Circumstances: The Journey of a Corporate Whistleblower

Extraordinary Circumstances: The Journey of a Corporate Whistleblower

The longer WorldCom Chief Audit Executive Cynthia Cooper stares at the entries in front of her, the more sinister they seem. But the CFO is badgering her to delay her team's audit of the company's books and directing others to block Cooper's efforts. Still, something in the pit of her stomach tells her to keep digging. Cooper takes readers behind the scenes on a riveting, ...more
Published February 4th 2008 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Extraordinary Circumstances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extraordinary Circumstances

Start your review of Extraordinary Circumstances: The Journey of a Corporate Whistleblower
Mike
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was assigned this book for a corporate law class, so I skimmed through the personal parts and focused on the issues relating to my class and the upcoming test. At least that was the plan.

It wasn't long before I found myself reading every word. While this book wasn't written very well and wouldn't captive many, I found it very interesting. As a graduate student in Accounting, this book relates to a lot of what I could currently face, and may face in the future, in my career field. I found mysel
Neveen
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cynthia Cooper is the CEO of The CooperGroup, LLC, a management consulting firm that provides services in the areas of internal audit, ethics and compliance, fraud prevention and detection, board consultation and education and enterprise risk management. She now shares the lessons she has learned through her experiences with professionals and students.

Extraordinary Circumstances: The Journey of a Corporate Whistle blower is a book written by Cynthia which describes the unearthing of financial st
Brian Besaw
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must-read for anyone in business, and especially for accountants. Also, an interesting and enjoyable read for anyone who followed with interest the WorldCom and Arthur Andersen scandals.

Cooper walks the reader step by step through the career of an accoutant and the history of WorldCom. The two stories intersect when she is hired on as head of the voracious telecom's Internal Auditor. Cooper would ultimately become the whistle-blower whose work brought the giant down.

With every turn of the page t
Alec Fernandez-Morales
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While this book was initially intended for a school extra credit report (which I didn't even do), it ended up being far more interesting than I'd ever imagined. I was afraid this book would be very dry, full of business jargon and minute financial details. Instead this book focused on the story and the people impacted by the WorldCom scandal. Cynthia Cooper is honestly an inspiration for how we should carry ourselves when surrounded by trials & tribulations. Despite the adversity she was plagued ...more
Rob Hamilton
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this inside story of the rise and fall of WorldCom. It was really well written, providing enough accounting information to give a complete picture while not taking the reader into the weeds. The resiliency and perseverance of the auditors, in the face of potentially losing their jobs, just to understand what was happening, wanting to believe the explanations of the culprits, but not willing to believe just anything. Two things really stuck with me: (1) people were convicted, eve ...more
Caleb Maloney
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone pursuing a career in business and accounting! Cynthia's biography encompasses the collision between her employer and her personal values. This book exemplifies how the success of a leading company can ultimately lead to its own unfortunate demise. I give it five stars!
Uma
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it

Krishna Sruthi Srivalsan
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I came across this book in my internal audit class, where we discussed the role of internal audit in uncovering fraud, and analyzed WorldCom as a specific example. As an aspiring auditor, I found this book very relevant to my career. The book describes how WorldCom came to be, and how fraud often begins as a small adjustment, which many believe will correct itself eventually. Apart from the accounting issues, this book highlights that people can be forced into making 'adjustments' since they are ...more
Brian
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-finance
Cynthia Cooper the former vice president of internal audit at WorldCom and the person who uncovered the fraud that led to one of the largest bankruptcy in US History tells her story in this autobiography. The biography takes you through Cynthia’s early life growing up in Mississippi not far from where WorldCom would be headquartered. It also takes you through her early days of working audit and for those who have been or no anyone has been an auditor at one of the big firms the misery is confirm ...more
Mike
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm pretty sure this would be a pretty dry read for anyone that isn't an auditor or didn't work for Worldcom. I happened to work for Worldcom and worked directly with a few members of Cynthia's team, which made reading this book somewhat surreal. I think she does a great job at outlining the history of Worldcom, how she came to her position there, and the events leading to the fall of Worldcom. As other reviews have said, I think it's easy to just skip through some of the irrelevant details of h ...more
Julie
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Whenever I read one of these types of books that detail the inner workings of a corporation, I am astounded at the lack of moral compass that seems to permeate the higher echelon of management. Her personal story was a bit boring, but she provides a rare insider's glimpse into the spectacular rise and fall of WorldCom, a telecom titan. It was an honest account that doesn't paint an easy black and white picture evil corporate management, but shows that in the end, we are all subject to human fail ...more
Judy
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir, 2012
This book was a good story. It was not particularly well-written and could have used some additional editing to remove the platitudes. But the storyline is good and the pacing from 20 to 80 is excellent. Also, it's a great general explanation of auditing and was helpful to read as I'm taking an accounting class. She is very humble and likable so that's nice too. I recommend to anyone interested in accounting, corporate fraud, or memoirs by not-very-famous people.
Ryan
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cynthia Cooper was one of the Worldcom employees who discovered massive fraud,and forced the company to deal with the issue. She and her colleagues were courageous, dogged, and thorough.

Her book describes the rise, fraud, and fall of the Worldcom empire, in parallel with her own education and career. The later chapters share really valuable insights into choices that individuals make in difficult circumstances.
Bonnie
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Tale of Cynthia Cooper, Internal Auditor at WorldCom, who blew the whistle on CEO Bernie Ebbers and CFO Scott Sullivan. Her story from early childhood to testifying. I admired her courage and enjoyed reading the behind-the-scenes information she gave. Gets a little long at the end but still worth reading.
K Koi
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
SweetPea
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
An very good read that lays out the WorldCom debacle from a key observer and player in uncovering the fraud. The author provided her perspective and view on what and why it happened and how it affected her and many others that were caught in its web.
Kezzia Keener
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Probably a bit more interesting to someone who understands corporate and accounting terms and procedures, but a good book none-the-less, talking about how one person had the courage to stand up and say that something was wrong; and then persist until the situation was dealt with.
Lori
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Anyone who finds themselves in a whistleblower situation needs to be praised for keeping it together and doing the right thing! Live a life of integrity and make decisions you can look back on without regret!
Diane
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the book. WorldCom whistle blower keeps to her morales and helps bring about justice.
Brent
Sep 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
If you have to read a book on accounting...I guess it's not too bad.
Steve
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Cynthia Cooper was the whistleblower at WorldCom. If you like books on accounting and auditing (which are so hard to find), you will like this book.
Lisa Bodner
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Well written-it read like a thriller, but it's a true story!!
Selma de Oliveira
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
She writes with charisma. I really liked her closing message. It's a great book to be read by employees in any sector. It helps to bring strenght to any working environment.
Meredith
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! But of course I love accounting....so it's probably not for you if you aren't into corporate scandals and accounting fraud.
Juli
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ms. Cooper provides a very through background on the key players involved in the demise of WorldCom, while at the same time humanizing even those deepest involved in orchestrating the fraud.
Colleen Cross
Great insider account of the Worldcom fraud.
Dincy
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Who knew a book on internal audit could be this interesting? Not finished it yet, but it's keeping me up at night so far.
Japhet Lupondo
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I have learned a lot from Cynthia Cooper book.it's a remarkable book for all business people, I would recommend anybody to take their time and read
Justin
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic insider view of the largest corporate accounting fraud in history. Ms. Cooper does a wonderful job with this personal intimate account. I really enjoyed this book.
Tiffany Schilling
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The actual story is fantastic... the book is ok. Most of it is background on the author and the company.

• Twice in a Blue Moon
  • No One Would Listen
  • A Warning
  • Radiant Angel (John Corey, #7)
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Last Rituals (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #1)
  • The First Wave: The D-Day Warriors Who Led the Way to Victory in World War II
  • My Soul to Take (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #2)
  • Aflausn (Children's House, #3)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • The German House
  • Temple of Spies (Sokolov Saga #3)
  • The Collaborator (Sokolov Saga #2)
  • Three Days at the Brink: FDR's Daring Gamble to Win World War II
  • Touched by the Sun: My Friendship with Jackie
  • Fool's Gold
  • Justice Denied (Harper Ross #2)
  • Legacy of Lies (Bocephus Haynes, #1)

News & Interviews