Start by marking “The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book” as Want to Read:
The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book

The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  2,809 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Here again for the masses of adoring Bloom County fans is a collectionof the best daily and Sunday strips from the past year. Features the bonus, peel-away insert, Smell-O-Toons, the aromatic fragrance that is dabbed on more Commando pulse points than all other perfumes combined! Little, Brown.
Published August 10th 1989 by Little Brown and Company (first published August 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos

Timothy Boyd
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Opus is the man, well a man in penguin form. Excellent comics to cheer you up on a down day. I read a few every morning to start my day off right. Very recommended
Helen
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, it was great. I esp love Breathed's use of little signs to point things out, lol. Oh yeah, it's with smell-o-vision. Really.
chisholm
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
whats not to like these are classic originals. things that people try to imitate. will always read Berkeley Breathed.
Evan Macrone (Will Work For Books)
Not really much here you haven't seen, they even joke about how there really isn't a single strip here that you haven't read and unfortunately there really isn't much justification for getting this if you already have the bigger collections.
Alice
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to pick up a pile of classic Bloom County strips at a library book sale. This is the only one of the set that I remember reading before. It also seems to be when the comic strip was at its best.

In this volume, Bill the Cat runs for president, with Opus as his running mate. Opus is called in front of a congressional committee to determine his liberalism, which takes him out of the running. Bloom County is ordered to meet a gender parity quota, only to learn there's already a wo
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloom County is one of the best daily comic strips ever created. From the political satire to the goofy penguin, Bloom County just made you smile. I loved every character Berke Breathed created and looked forward to reading the newspaper every day just to see what was going to happen.

I remember cutting out the funniest strips and stapling to my work room. I also used to tape them to my college notebooks so I would have something entertaining to read during long, boring lectures. I miss Bloom Co
Mike
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Funny! Brilliant! Irreverent!

Bloom County at its peak... Follow the infamous '88 election campaign of Bill n' Opus (see why they received a very substantial contribution from The United Cocaine Producers, Smugglers, Pushers, and Affiliated Scum).

Find out the "odd and terrible link" between the twin decline of both America's Rock n' Roll and Highways (it involves Elvis).

Discover what kind of firearms Mary Kay Commandos actually carry (they're deadly and they're pink).

The answers to these and many
Rae
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-stuff
I can't sing the praises enough for this comic strip and its characters: Opus, Milo and Steve Dallas. At one point, I owned them all. He really tickles my funny bone with his warped humor and just enough pop culture and political satire to make it interesting. Check out his other collections: Tales Too Ticklish to Tell, Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things, Billy & the Boingers Bootleg, Toons For Our Times and Bloom County Babylon.
David Caldwell
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I was working in any of the many bookstores where I was employed and I did not want (or have the time) to read my current book, I would grab one of these collections to read on my too short break. I slowly but surely worked my way through several series. These are great time killers and will usually improve your mood no matter how hectic the day. Laughter can be the best solution to dealing with the public.
Bill Conrad
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Only Berkeley Breathed could come up with a title like "Night of the Mary Kay Commandos Featuring Smell O-Toons." This was a great collection of cartoons and I loved the "Smell O-Toons" tie in. Berkeley Breathed is an excellent artist and has an excellent sense of humor. This is a a wonderful work.
Duane
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite in the works of Berkely Breathed. Who can not enjoy the thought of Mary Kay ladies in combat gear and oozies?! Although this book does show it's age with the political themed humor, I think overall, adults will enjoy the satire and funny illustrations.
angrykitty
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
i'll never forget how even though the animals were drawn to look extra disney cute.....and by animals, i mean the ones mary kay was using for experiments....i still laughed because it seemed so strange. god i'm weird.
Matt
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This classic recently surfaced from our shelves. I've really missed Opus, Bill the Cat, Milo, Steve Dallas, Milquetoast, and the rest. Amazing how 20 year old political comic strips can still be relevant, and more importantly HILARIOUS! Bill 'n Opus in '08!
Spudsie
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bloom-county
Milquetoast...the loveable roach

The Basselope's a girl!!

More politics

Is Opus's mom really dead???

Tribute to Emily Dickinson
Charles
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Another of my favorites in the Bloom county collections.
Ryan
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Long, long ago, it was part of my treasured Bloom County collection, and read and re-read many times. Sigh.
Rob
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Bloom County reminds me of my college days and Mike Tamaro. Good times!
Nancy Laney
Sep 01, 2013 added it
Shelves: fiction
Bloom County Book 7
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, humor
Worth reading for the title sequence alone. Funny stuff.
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Too funny!
Kyrie
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, humor
And this is why I no longer wear make up.
Bruce
May 14, 2013
Mia Nutick
Jan 30, 2013
  • Cows of Our Planet
  • Seven Years of Highly Defective People: Scott Adams' Guided Tour of the Evolution of Dilbert
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"
  • The Doonesbury Chronicles
Guy Berkeley "Berke" Breathed is an American cartoonist, children's book author/illustrator, director, and screenwriter, best known for Bloom County, a 1980s cartoon-comic strip which dealt with socio-political issues as seen through the eyes of highly exaggerated characters (e.g. Bill the Cat and Opus the Penguin) and humorous analogies.

More about Berkeley Breathed

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)