Start by marking “When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)

When Destiny Knocks

(The Destiny Saga #1)

16 year old Karlie has had a pretty normal life... But when her Mom dies she is forced to move over 1,000 miles away to live with her Dad. That's when things start getting weird.

She can't explain the earthquakes that nobody else feels, or why she no longer sleeps. But most of all she doesn't know why she trusts Shane so much, even though his Dad wants her dead.

Suddenly, Ka
Published December 24th 2011 (first published December 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about When Destiny Knocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Destiny Knocks

Andrea
Mar 29, 2012 marked it as did-not-finish
As bad as I hate to, I'm calling a DNF on When Destiny Knocks.

I have a couple different reasons. First, the premise. An almost-17yo girl moves to a new town(more about that in a minute), new school. She's not happy about this move. She meets a new guy. They have an instant connection, there are sparks when they touch. She finds out that she has a secret destiny and the boy plays a part. They are on opposite sides. He is willing to sacrifice his family (offering, with a smile, to kill his dad). A
Melissa T
(This review was also posted on my blog, Melissa's Midnight Musings http://midnight-orchids.blogspot.com/...)

I recently reviewed one of White's other books, My Fairytale Life, and wasn't too pleased with it.

White sent me When Destiny Knocks before I'd even read or reviewed my Fairytale Life. After reading My Fairytale Life, I was really hesitant to even read When Destiny Knocks because I was afraid of not liking it. But, I pushed that aside because I really wanted to give her another chance. I
Trevor Kidd
Apr 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: indie-fiction
When Destiny Knocks is one of the worst books I've ever read. It seems to have been reviewed well so far, but I have no idea why. This books needs better editing, more fleshed out characters and more interesting settings and baddies.

The Good: The only thing I have good to say about When Destiny Knocks is that the action is fast-paced and short.

The Bad: When Destiny Knocks is full of typos and grammatical errors. The author has done a disservice to indie authors as a whole by releasing her book
Taylor
Jul 09, 2012 marked it as won-t-be-reading-anytime-soon
Wow this author had one of the worst reactions to a review I've ever seen, and the reviews weren't malicious, uninformed, or disrespectful to the author in anyway. So basically the chick went bat-shit crazy and started bullying reviewers for no good reason.

I however, will not EVER be reading anything by this author because I refuse to support people who act so completely childish and hurtful when they don't like what someone has to say about their book. As an author you go into it knowing full
Courtney (Storybook Slayers)
Jan 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
More reviews at Rondo of a Possible World: YA Book Reviews

I received this book from Heather herself to read and the synopsis drew me in from the start. I anticipated a refreshing paranormal tale but sadly I wasn't wooed or even the least bit enthralled with the characters, the story, or the writing style.

Karlie's life really wasn't all that different from most YA protagonists nowadays. Deceased family member, the other is never home because of a job. No siblings. New girl at school. And that m
Wendy Darling
Jul 10, 2012 marked it as will-never-read
No. Just no.
Meghan
Jan 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Unfortunately, I was unable to finish this book. The storyline seemed interesting, but the writing itself just didn't get the job done for me.
Ana
Jul 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I’m not entirely sure how to begin this review. Why don’t I start by stating my first thought after reading When Destiny Knocks? That thought is: this is a really bad book. This is the worst book that I’ve read in a long time. This is possibly the worst book that I’ve read since Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. And at least that one had pictures.

When Destiny Knocks wasn’t awful because of the crappy plot, the shallow characters, or even the spray tan romance—although these things did
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When Destiny Knocks is a book you will not be able to put down. It grabs you and takes you on a ride you can not stop until the end and then when it does end you start screaming for more!

Heather has created a world where all creatures exsist and have one goal in mind and that goal is to kill the choosen one. But what happens when the choosen one does not know their true identity and when they do find out they have a hard time dealing with it.

This story is about a girl named Karlie who lives in
Tess
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WHAT THE HECK?!?!?! Crazzzzy ending!!! & this cover rocks even more after reading the book...review to come soon!

**********

When Destiny Knocks was everything I could've imagined! It has kick-butt heroine, an awesome paranormal world, and a SWOON worthy dude. This book really had it all!

Karlie's mom unexpectedly dies and she is forced to move from New York to a little town in Arkansas to stay with her un-involved, workaholic, awkward dad. I really loved experiencing the move with Karlie, an
Bekka
Mar 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Hate to say it but I didn't finish this book, it started out really good and the plot seemed intresting enough but the way it was written didn't draw me in and I ended up finishing it about half way ; (
Blythe
Jul 08, 2012 marked it as will-not-read
Nope.
Ashley Chen
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The book was a fabulous paced, "short" novel. I love how the author didn't focus that much on school life drama and conversations because I find that conversations can be boring and long. Liked I mentioned, the book was paced marvellously. It wasn't fast for a 200 pages book and it wasn't slow and boring. Some might disagree saying the pace is too fast but I enjoyed it. I blaze through the chapters.
I enjoyed the plot very much. I really like how everyone was acting strange, like her friends and
Shelly Crane
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very cute, short read that had me chuckling.
It had the vibe of Carrie Jones 'Need'. Not that it was about Pixies or that storyline, but it had that feel to it. Like the group of friends, the fast love between Shane and Karlie, and the evil parents, love triangle where the guys are enemies. I liked it.
Alex was the sweetest and Shane was Mr. Protective. Love them!
Mix of all sorts of mythical creatures that kept my attention and a massive cliffhanger.
Of course, there could have been more love be
Heather Robbins
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
This is one of those books that has you guessing what is going on here, but also keeps you flipping the pages to find out. When you do well, it's not a let down! When Destiny Knocks is an exciting, action packed romance.

The characters are well developed and likable. Karlie: I really liked her and cannot wait to see what's in store for her next.

Shane: brooding, loner oh how I adore you. I cannot tell you much more on either of them without giving stuff away :( so READ IT!

Even the secondary char
Emily
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE this book :) Karlie was very kick butt, unlike other heroins I've seen lately. I love the romance, it's really sweet. Shane is AWESOME, and though I had my doubts about him, he turned out amazing in the end! Alex, wow! What more can I say? He is soooooooo sweet!!! But I like Shane more! ;) I loved all the secondary characters as well, they really all came together and made the story AWESOME!

I have mixed feelings about the ending! I loved it, but I hated it - such a cliff hanger
Cameron
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012
Originally posted on the blog: What the Cat Read

This is a hard book for me to review and even now as I write this I’m still not entirely sure what my paw rating is really going to be. On the one paw, I felt that the story idea was awesome and I enjoyed the characters immensely. Also, this was a fast read full of non-stop action. But on the other paw, I couldn’t get past the errors in editing, or lack there of, and the instantaneous attraction between Karlie, Shane, and Alex. It wasn’t exactly a
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Karlie is moving from New York to small town Arkansas after her mother dies, and going to live with her father who she hasn’t seen in years. Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in Arkansas. Or does it? Strange things start happening and no one will give Karlie answers. And then on the first day Karlie is drawn to Shane and can’t stop thinking about him and his green eyes. She knows he holds the answers to her questions but he won’t tell her anything. And why is everyone else so set on keeping he ...more
Zoe
Apr 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
I have to admit, I was looking forward to reading this book, it sounded like it had everything I enjoy in a book. However, I am very disappointed and found many faults which allowed me, sadly, not to enjoy it.

When Destiny Knocks is set in the USA, where a 16 year old Karlie is forced to move in with her Dad after her Mum (or Mom, since this an American book ;p) passes away. After a few days, everything begins to get weird. She is able to control the weather with her emotions, experience visions
Stina Madison
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Full review here: http://zodiacbookreviews.blogspot.com...

I've read quite a few books lately with the heroine having some kind of special destiny or purpose and they can tend to all run together because of their similarities. Although there are commonalities between When Destiny Knocks and those other stories, there's something about this story that stands out from the crowd. For me, what set When Destiny Knocks apart was the characters and their interactions and relationships with each other; a
Erika

Suddenly, Karlie's
Ellen
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tours
Sixteen year old Karlie has been living in New York with her mom. When her mom dies unexpectedly, Karlie suddenly finds herself moving 1000 miles away to live with her dad in Arkansas. She hasn't spent a lot of time with her dad in recent years, and despite his aloofness and workaholic tendencies, he really does want the best for Karlie, trying to make her transition as easy as he is capable of doing. Karlie starts high school and finds herself with several new friends, which are sweet, but also ...more
Megs
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
At first When Destiny Knocks reminded me of Twilight. Girl moves to a new city to live with her somewhat estranged father. Girl meets and is immediately drawn to a boy that is somehow 'apart' from the rest of the school. But that's where the similarities ended and Karlie became much less Bella Swan and much more Buffy Summers!

Karlie went very quickly from being a grieving teen to a kick-butt heroine. Lucky for her, she has a very awesome group of friends, not to mention the love of her life, wh
Autumn Review
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
Summary:
When Karlie’s mom dies, she’s forced to leave New York to go live with her dad in Arkansas. Not everything is as it seems in her new town. She meets Shane and is swept off her feet by the connection they share. Strange things begin to happen that seem to be oddly tied to her emotions. As Karlie discovers her new talents, she must also learn who she can and can’t trust.

My Take:
The beginning of the book had me hooked. There was a clear development of plot and characters early on. I liked K
Mercedes
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
(Originally posted on Suppa Gurl Books)

I should start by letting you know this book has kept me on edge from chapter one. Don’t say I didn’t warn you, but be prepared to be intrigued, surprised and amazed by this story and its characters. I found myself needing to keep reading so I could answer the little questions piling up in my mind.
Angels, ghosts, demons, werewolves, witches, vampires and ogres were daily creatures in this kick-butt heroine’s life.
Besides all the action, which is a lot, the
Brianne
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When Destiny Knocks is about Sixteen year old Karlie. After her mother's death, New Yorker Karlie is forced to move to a small town in Arkansas, to live with her Dad. Thinking her life will now become extremely boring, Karlie suddenly realizes that there is a whole new world she never knew existed.

I loved When Destiny Knocks! It was fast paced and totally got my attention from page one. I was instantly hooked and couldn't put it down! The concept was interesting and I enjoyed the writing style.
Valerie
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am so happy that I was able to read this book! This book was AMAZING!!! The cover to this book is amazing!! HUGE cliffhanger ending that has you ready to jump right into book #2! Great description of characters that has you feeling like you have been best friends with them for forever. Awesome describing of surroundings that makes you feel your right there with the characters. Lots of paranormal beings from angel, demons, shape shifters, werewolves, vampires,and Karlie" the chosen one". I reco ...more
Sharpay
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW! That is all I can say. This book is so creative and unique, the writing is excellent and the story is just AMAZING. I love the romance between Karlie and Shane, and even loved Alex! I can't wait to see what happens next in this series!

Warning: It has a major cliff changer ending! I can't wait for book 2!
Melissa Maxwell
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book was good but short. Just when things were getting good bam it ended. I glad it s a series but can't wait to find out what happens. I love Shane and Karlie. I love her "protectors" and I love how important she is. I just don't love the cliffhanger ending. ;)
Jennifer D
Nothing like calling a reviewer a douche just because you can't get your facts straight.
The shooting happened in 1998, not 1996. Do a little research. That took me 10 seconds to look up..... And you say you grew up in Arkansas?

• Children of the Flower Power
  • Dance Of The Goblins (The Goblin, #1)
  • Tats
  • The Raie'Chaelia (Legend of the Raie'Chaelia, #1)
  • League of Strays
  • Crimzon & Clover
  • Adapting Eden (Save The Pearls, #2)
  • Sleeping Beauty WAKES UP!
  • The Necro Device
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • The Butcher's Boy
  • Don't Stop Now
  • Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • Learning To Love
  • Come, the Dark: Cordovae's Journey (Forever Girl, #2)
  • The World Rose
  • Vulnerable (Little Goddess, #1)
  • The Gunfighter and the Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)

The Destiny Saga (2 books)
  • When Destiny Strikes (Destiny Saga, #2)