Start by marking “And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)” as Want to Read:

And They Called Her Spider

(Galvanic Century #1)

Galvanic Century is set in an alternate steampunk world where the reign of Queen Victoria has extended well into the early 20th century. As the world edges inexorably towards a World War that few can even begin to anticipate, brave men and women must contend with airship pirates, clockwork assassins, galvanic monsters, and anarchist madmen.

In their debut adventure, London
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 56 pages
Published October 11th 2012 by Pomoconsumption Press (first published December 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about And They Called Her Spider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And They Called Her Spider

Dan Schwent
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, 2014
An assassin called The Spider strikes her targets at will and it's up to consulting detectives Wainwright and Bartleby to stop her. Can the scientist and the fop stop her before she ruins Queen Victoria's platinum jubilee?

This was a kindle freebie. How could I resist a Holmeseque mystery featuring an assassin dressed as a Jester?

And They Called Her Spider is a short steampunk mystery set in an alternate London with all the usual steampunk trappings. However, unlike a lot of steampunk that uses g
Wart Hill
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this. It's got everything I want: an interesting, well crafted steampunk world. Interesting characters. Mystery and murder.

But omg this is way too short. This whole idea needed to be a novel. A short story isn't enough space to fully develop everything that happens, and things wind up feeling rushed instead if intriguing and well developed.

Also, there're a lot of typos. Just misplaced words and missing words, but they're jarring, especially when it's more than occasional.
Tracey
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Okay, first of all, that's a bizarre cover. It's adorable – and has so little to do with the at times elegant and at times fey story that I keep being shocked every time I see it.

There's a killer on the loose in the Steampunk 19th century London of the story. She (yes, she!) "comes out of nowhere, a flash of red and black fabric, powdered white face, the tinkling of bells, drawing near in that sinuous way she has, mesmerizing and captivating even those with the presence of mind to recognize her
Theresa
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
And They Called Her Spider
by: Michael Coorlim

I won this from a LibraryThing giveaway

And they called her Spider is a short story. It is a well written detective/mystery story that will keep you hooked from the beginning. Great Story.
Renny
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
And They Called Her Spider is a short detective story set in a steampunk Victorian London, or its very similar but somehow different version. As this is a short story, the author doesn’t beat around the bush and throws you right in the middle of the story, or so it seems. But this also means that you are literally hooked to the book from the first words as you want to know more! Despite its shortness, it is a very gripping read with two very loveable detectives. I don’t think you could find two ...more
Nicholas
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a quick and fun read! I downloaded this title labeled under the "Steampunk" genre, hoping to get a quick taste of what this upcoming genre was all about. If this is a prime example of the genre, I will definitely be downloading more!

Bartleby and James are genuine characters indeed. Coorlim has created an exciting atmosphere that makes it difficult to put the book down. The writing style is quick paced and the intellectual difference in the pair was fun and comparing their personalities as I
Alfaniel Aldavan
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

What if Holmes' friend was an engineer, they both lived in a steampunk England, and their story told in a witty style in a fantasy?

They would be Bartleby and James, the fun couple in this steampunk story.

Well written and a light read, the story has been a surprise. I found myself smiling at the tribulations of the engineer, enjoying his use of the detoxification apparatus, in a world excellently sketched with all its steampunk flavor.

This story is now for free on Smashwords, and it makes a good
Christine H
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fans of Arthur Conan Doyle who can’t get enough of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson will enjoy reading about Coorlim’s Bartleby and James. These two consulting detectives must stop the entrancing and fearsome assassin whom people know only as “Spider”. While London prepares for the jubilee of Queen Victoria, the partners must traverse the city, following leads and mad men in the hopes that the Spider’s next victim isn’t the Crown, herself. Written in the vein of Doyle and set in ...more
Fungi From Yuggoth
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA, Steampunk
Recommended to Fungi From Yuggoth by: Great Minds Think Aloud
I love Steampunk: let me say that right up front. I’ve adored the sub-genre ever since I realized it was not Cyberpunk, as I’d initially mistakenly thought. I love everything about Steampunk, and this novella expresses all of that. The mechanisms, the characters, the almost magical engineering, the alternate-probability history, the Victorian Era (extended somewhat farther in the 20th century than we remember in our consensus reality), it’s all fascinating-riveting-enrapturing. “And They Called ...more
Susan
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
And They Called Her Spider by Michael Coorlim is a fun piece of Victorian steampunk. His two protagonists, Bartleby and James, are a mismatched pair of private investigators who are called in to assist Scotland Yard. The ensuing case, with engineers and clockwork automatons, is an entertaining mystery. Coorlim does an excellent job of capturing Victorian London in his alternate past. Just like the Sherlock Holmes stories, one wants to read about the further adventures of this unlikely pair. A cl ...more
Susan Ashcraft
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Well written short story starring Bartleby and James. A woman assassin, known as the Spider, is murdering people. She had been witnessed every time but no one has been able to stop her. The Queen's Jubilee is coming and there is a concern that the "Spider" will attempt to get to the queen. Bartleby and James are called in to look at the case when the police fail to apprehend her.

I really enjoyed the flow of the short story. With just a few words, you felt that you knew the characters well. I hav
Bruce McNair
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a detective story set in a steampunk inspired Victorian era London. The protagonists Bartleby and James appear to be partly modelled on Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Certainly the length is typical of many of Holmes's adventures. The twist is that James is an "engineer" who spends most of his time dabbling in chemistry and clockwork. Without spoiling things, the "Spider" is an extraordinary adversary - possibly typical of the steampunk genre. I found this to be good escapism. If you like H ...more
Jade
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
James and Bartleby are wonderful characters! I love this style and time period … very Holmes and Watson, which I adore! The story was great, it had mystery and some darkness to it, but a bit of humor in the way these two men interact with each other and the changing world around them made the whole thing very entertaining! It is a very short story, I would love to know more about them and their lives and what will happen next! I can’t wait to read more!!
Christine
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice short Steampunk story that channels Doyle (as in Sherlock and Watson and not Professor C). There is intersting developments in the terms of the vilian and how the heroes react to her. The book does raising issues and questiosn about war. The writer is undercharging by offering this for free, I must say.
Tona
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this through a LibraryThing giveaway.

This was a great short steampunk story set in London. Not only was it a greatly written but the ending is a completely new idea. It was not what I was expecting and I loved it. I wish it could have been longer but it was still a great short read.
J.M.
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this up free on Kindle. It's a great little steampunk book -- I loved the setting and the atmosphere, and I enjoyed the author's voice. I'll definitely look for more by him in the future.
Larry Clermont
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant Steampunk Detective Novel
This book was easy to get into, has good characters and is a great twist on the classic Holmes and Watson detective novels. Great for fans of Steampunk and fans of whodunnits.
D W
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very fun quick read set in a wonderful steampunk world.
Robin

Review Tally:

Overall: 3 1/2 STARS

Story/Plot: 4 - First off, "And They Called Her Spider," is a novella. It's the first of (to date) 8 novellas featuring Bartleby & James Wainwright, who are consulting detectives in a steampunk world entitled "The Galvanic Century."

Next, I did enjoy the story and wished instead of being a novella, it was a long involved story. I'd have enjoyed to see more of this "Galvanic Century" and a little more information regarding - SPOILERS.

I would highly recommend t
Hoozat
Nov 17, 2012 added it
The following review is based on the epub edition of "And They Called Her Spider" from a librarything.com giveaway.
"And They Called Her Spider" is a steampunk mystery involving an entertainingly at-odds detective duo and an impossibly speedy assassin dressed as a jester. It is definitely a short story (approximately 150 pages on my iPod touch), but despite the book's meager length, it certainly packs a punch!

The plot is exciting and well written with appropriate amounts of adventure (via inves
Susan
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set in a lush alternative England at the beginning of the 20th century, Queen Victoria reigns over airships pirates and galvanic monsters alike. This tale is told through James Wainwright, who is something of a mad scientist, or inventor at least. His commentary on his gentleman friend Bartleby often had me chuckling and his dogged pursuit of The Spider once he became interested was entertaining. While not my favorite so far in the series, it is an excellent first book to introduce readers to tw ...more
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

And They Called Her Spider was such a fun read. I wasn't expecting much since it is a novella and they are not always that good, but I just loved this one. This is the story of Barnaby and Wainwright trying to find the secret assassin Spider before it is too late. Spider has been taking out influential people and no one seems to know anything about her. They must find her before the big celebration, before she can kill Queen Victoria.

Barnaby a
Kathy
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating steam punk short story set in Victorian England. Bartleby and James are detectives called in to consult on a case involving a mysterious spider woman who is moving about London assonating persons. The MO of this spider woman is unique, and no one has been able to figure out just how the spider woman kills her victims. The two detectives, one an engineer and one a gadabout are reminiscent of another famous duo, Holmes and Watson. How they go about solving this mystery is fas ...more
Melissa Bryan
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
I love steampunk!! And this book deliveries it with guns a blazing…the book is about two private detectives or I should say consultants for Scotland Yard. One is a rich playboy type and the other is a scientific engineer. They are hired by Scotland Yard to help them find an assassin that is killing people that shouldn't have been killed because of their exemplary security yet it is being done without effort. And with the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee just days away the assassin had to be stopped. The ...more
Nostalgia Reader
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-amazon
I was in need of something short and non-taxing on the brain as a reward for finishing up some schoolwork, so I flipped through my abundance of Kindle freebies and landed on this one.

And apparently a short steampunk mystery was exactly what I needed. It's a very quick read, and although a bit predictable, the characters were likable (steampunk versions of Holmes and Watson, really) and the plot was strung together relatively well. There wasn't much time for any character development, but there w
April
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This is a really interesting quick read. It has shades of Sherlock Holmes and a bit of a Steampunk feel. It definitely caught my interests and I am curious about this series. This book is an excellent appetizer to tempt a reader into trying one of the full length novels in the collection.

I listened to the audiobooks narrated by Wayne Farrell. He does a terrific job of keeping the character's voices distinct and consistent. I loved his steady pace and engaging tone. I am definitely going to look
Mardi-Louise Van Heerden
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
Yes, yes, yes!! I am only on page... can't tell because I'm reading on Kindle Cloud.. and already the edges of my world has started curling, becoming opalescent and I can feel myself being tugged head over heels into the sepia wondrousment of the delicious parallel universe that lustres with life right next to ours... if you just let go.....

UPDATE: Done! I will use a quote from the pages that state my thoughts ever so eloquently:

"I stood for a moment in quasi-religious awe, taking it all in, fe
LAdlem LAdlem
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Cool short story. The author has a great voice and the text was well edited. I liked the two main characters, Bartleby and James, so different from one another but great chemistry. :)

There is also a fantastic black and white drawing round the middle of the story, showing Spider in action. I didn't expect it and was very pleasantly surprised.

I see this is the first of a series, so I'll be following up on the rest of the books.

(view spoiler)
Rhonda
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 STARS
A Bartleby and James Adventure 1
It's a nice short detective story. I would love to see it longer.
detectives James Wainwright and Alton Bartleby are the two central characters.
Alton is a rich member of the ton and James is a smart, loner that wants no one to come in his lab and distrube him. Even his partner Alton who built it for him in his basement. They are interesting and play off each other well.
I like the characters and would like to see more of them in action. Easy to follow the sto
Britt
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Short detective story.
I really liked the story. It's a bit of a Sherlock Holmes meets steampunk kind of story, and I very much enjoyed reading it. I generally like detective stories and love Sherlock Holmes, so this really fit in with my tastes.
I also liked the steampunk element; it gives the story something special beyond just being a detective story. I personally like the way steampunk novels incorporate speculative science with a more historical setting and thought it was well done in this st
Steampunk, New We...: Free Steampunk: First in the Galvanic Century series 3 15 May 21, 2014 04:41PM

• The Exile's Violin (Tethys Chronicles, #1)
  • A Thousand Bayonets
  • Final Touch (The Rayne Tour, #3)
  • Bat Wing
  • She Speaks to Angels (AngelFire Chronicles, #1)
  • Out of This World
  • Sentinel (Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
  • Purple Knot (Shades of Hope, #1)
  • Tales of the Dim Knight
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment: A Treatment Guide
  • Waves of Regret
  • Flash Gold (Flash Gold Chronicles #1)
  • Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb
  • The Mosswoods
  • Burly and Grum and the Secret City
  • The 19 Dragons
  • Prime Suspects: A Clone Detective Mystery
  • When Camels Fly
Michael Coorlim is a teller of strange stories for stranger people. He collects them, the oddballs. The mystics and fire-spinners, the sages and tricksters. He curates their tales, combines their elements and lets them rattle around inside his rock-tumbler skull until they gleam, then spills them loose onto the page for like-minded readers to enjoy.

He writes fast-paced stories about real people in

Galvanic Century (8 books)
  • Maiden Voyage of the Rio Grande (A Bartleby and James Adventure - Galvanic Century - Book Two)
  • On the Trail of the Scissorman
  • A Matter of Spirit (A Bartleby and James Adventures - Book 4)
  • Sky Pirates Over London
  • The Tower of Babbage (Chronicles of a Gentlewoman, #2)
  • Fine Young Turks
  • March of the Cogsmen (Galvanic Century, #8)