Start by marking “Ascanio ” as Want to Read:
Ascanio

Ascanio

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  385 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
C'était le 10 juillet de l'an de grâce 1540, à quatre heures de relevée, à Paris, dans l'enceinte de l'Université, à l'entrée de l'église des Grands-Augustins, près du bénitier, auprès de la porte
Published 2004 by AST (first published 1843)

To ask other readers questions about Ascanio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ascanio

Sergey
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dumas fans
This is a re-read; first read about fifteen years ago. I remembered vividly the scene of the taking of the Great Nesle Castle, but had forgotten the glory of the story that followed. This is such a wonderful historical novel. You have adventure; you have intrigue; you have romance (innocent and lovely (Ascanio and Colombe), contrasted by the selfish love that satisfies but the cold, cruel heart (Duchess D'Etampes -- To win your heart I would sacrifice France!); you have revenge; you have the art ...more
Yegor
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography
The first time I came upon Cellini's name was the movie "How to Steal a Million" with Audrey Hepburn. And as soon as I've seen a book about him, I new I must read it.

Really great book. I like the way Dumas describes Benvenuto Cellini. He seemed to be a very active, talented and adventurous person with a good sense of humor and devotion to his friends.
Karina
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction, adventure
I need to figure out which edition I have of this book. But most of my books are currently in storage... This was a gift. And at the time I didn't know Dumas wrote anything like this too; it's not quite the same genre as the usual stuff I read by him like the Three Musketeers and the sequels, and other historical fiction.
Jānis
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caurstrāvo visu laiku tāds patīkams viduslaiku maigums un naivisms, bet ir kruta. Ja salīdzina ar mūsdienu romāniem, tad intrigas ir, bet visur cauri spīd tāds patiess cēlums, kas romānu padara "dizčiltīgu". Patika.
Maryam
this is a rating of my memory, I read it when I was 15. 15 year old me loved it, now I would love to re-read it. As soos as I do, will update a review.
P.S. I was suprised to find among editions exactly the one I had at my parents' house.
Jānis Skarnelis
Grūti pateikt vai šobrīt lasot šo grāmatu būtu tāds pats iespaids, bet kaut kad ļoti sen es biju sajūsmā par šo atklājumu. Tiem, kam patika "3 musketieri", patiks arī šī.
Lilit Gevorgyan
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it is a kind story about strong people
Deusprimus
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another good Dumas romance. Had me in tears a couple of times, and laughing others. The penultimate scene with the two main characters was masterful.
Alexandrina Barajin
Jul 06, 2013
  • Французская волчица. Лилия и лев (The Accursed Kings, #5-6)
  • Սամվել
  • Heavy Sand
  • Montezuma's Daughter
  • Գևորգ Մարզպետունի
  • Spartacus
  • Քաոս
  • The Rough Guide to Japan
  • Foxes in a Vineyard
  • I dodici abati di Challant; Il miracolo di santa Odilia; Gli occhi dell'imperatore
  • The Tale of Hodja Nasreddin: Disturber of the Peace
  • Лезвие бритвы: Роман приключений
  • Sannikov Land
  • Magdeburg. L'eretico
  • Consuelo
  • Ես և նա, (Yes yev Na) (She and I)
  • The Song of Igor's Campaign, An Epic of the Twelfth Century
  • Japanese Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebooks)
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas fils.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of h
More about Alexandre Dumas...