Start by marking “Loch” as Want to Read:
Loch

Loch (Zone Unknown #1)

Loch and his sister are with their father on a scientific expedition to track lake monsters. Their father's boss, Anthony Cavenger, a ruthless publishing mogul, is determined to prove that the legends are fact. Until now, it has been a fruitless exercise. But suddenly, on a routine exploration, a hideous water beast explodes out of the water, and a photographer, hoping to ...more
Published (first published 1994)

D.M. Dutcher
Yes, this is by the same Zindel who wrote The Pigman. No, it's not any good. If it were any other author I'd give it two stars, but with Zindel it deserves one.

The son and a daughter of an archeologist discover a family of ravenous plesiosaurs in a lake. The archeologist's boss, a tabloid magnate, wants the beasts captured dead or alive. The children befriend one of the young plesiosaurs. The plesiosaurs eat people.

There's not much drama to the book because the dinosaurs get revealed early. Ther
Kaitlyn Reynolds
Jun 25, 2009 Kaitlyn Reynolds rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I literally hated this book. No drama, no action, i couldbarely understand what was going on and what they were working with. I couldn't prnounce the equiptments names and the story was mind- boggling. Hear my loud and clear when i say: "DON'T DON'T DON'T READ THE AWFUL TERRIBLE BBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!"
Heidi
Jun 22, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
What would happen if the Loch Ness monster really existed? What would happen if that monster lived in a lake in the United States? What would you do if it had a baby and that baby were being threatened by people who wanted it dead? find the answers to all of these questions by reading Loch; a great adventure about a Loch Ness monster in Lake Champlain and the kids trying to save it.
Braxton F
I'm so facinated by this book. the detail on the landscape and monsters. The land scape is moutiness and rivers run in and out of caves. Water falls are every where falling every where from the rain that collects in little pools. that might have monsters in them.
Julian R. White
Jun 25, 2017 Julian R. White rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is a personal rule of mine to finish any book I start, no matter how bad or good it is.

Sadly, I had to break my rule for this book. The dialogue is sooooo bad, it's sickening. It's also highly unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm reading a book meant for children, but I don't see how even a child could enjoy this book... Well, an intelligent child that is. The book gave a bit of promise in the beginning but it just got to be too silly to take seriously. We have 8 year old girls drivin
Erin
May 22, 2017 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am cleaning out my bookshelf, reading as I go. This book seemed a little violent for the intended age group. I felt like it read like an action movie with a teenage protagonist. Which is probably good if you are an 11 year old boy? Unfortunately it's a little dated, I think. Still, if I knew any 11 year old boys I might recommend it.

This one is going in the donate pile
Parker
Nov 10, 2016 Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El-jorro
Jul 27, 2015 El-jorro rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bookworm Speaks!

Loch

by Paul Zindel

****

The Story: Loch and his sister are with their father on a scientific expedition to track lake monsters. Their father's boss, Anthony Cavenger, a ruthless publishing mogul, is determined to prove that the legends are fact. Until now, it has been a fruitless exercise. But suddenly, on a routine exploration, a hideous water beast explodes out of the water, and a photographer, hoping to get the picture of a lifetime, loses his life instead. The plesiosaurs terr
Terri
Jul 29, 2011 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen-year-old Luke Perkins, dubbed Loch since he claimed to have seen the Loch Ness Monster as a young boy, is fascinated by cryptids. His interest is fueled by following his oceanographer father around the world searching for proof of the existence of lake monsters. Loch and his little sister Zaidee miss the family life they had before their mother died and don't understand why their father allows his wealthy boss, Mr. Cavenger, to degrade and humiliate him. But nevertheless they love taggin ...more
Alexis Bahena
Oct 29, 2014 Alexis Bahena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something is lurking in the water of the Loch in Scotland. When you read this novel you will feel the jaws of fear grabing you. I only recommend this book to people who like adventure-horror. If I were to rank this book I would give it 5 stars. Keep reading to see what I think about this book.

This adventure-horror novel is pretty good for those people who believe in the Loch Ness Monster. It starts with the main character named Luke but when he was only 5 years old he went to Scotland into the
Scott Hayden
Oct 23, 2016 Scott Hayden rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, thriller
Loch earned his nickname from his childhood claim that he met the Loch Ness monster. People didn't believe him. They should have. Now as a teen, near Lake Champlain, adults again are not taking him seriously. For some few, they will learn the hard way.

A shallowly-written thriller. A bit gory, though tame compared to movies aimed at teens these days. My daughters after hearing the plot summary, had no interest. Four people get eaten, and a few left-over body parts cheaply heighten the ick mood. A
Mary Johnson
I’m not quite sure what to say about this one. Loch offered a lot of promises that it just wasn’t capable of living up to. It tried to be gory and violent with such a limited vocabulary that it just gave it a “made for TV” feel. The plot had a rough feel to it that made it read more like a first draft rather than a completed novel. I kept thinking that all Loch needed was more detail, more description, more build up, more anything. With the lack of actual plot building and details, I failed to t ...more
Books Kids Like
Oct 07, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zindel-paul
World-renowned marine biologist Sam Perkins works with wealthy Anthony Cavenger on Mr. Cavenger's latest expedition. Stationed at Lake Alban, Vermont, they research claims that the lake is inhabited by great beasts called plesiosaurs. The largest plesiosaur male, Rogue, feels threatened and attacks the scientific team at every turn. When his aggressive actions cause several horrific deaths, Cavenger orders his men to kill the beasts on sight. Meanwhile, Loch (aka Luke) and Zaidee Perkins find a ...more
This book was not really my genre, and I didn't like the writing style, the characters, or the overall message.

(view spoiler)
Jordan Rachele Gembara
So this book was pretty much as I expected it to be. Nothing special writing-wise, though I was glad to see no grammatical issues. The plot, character-development, and flow was a little below average. Very unrealistic at times. Dialogue lacked real emotion here and there. Sometimes I just found myself laughing out loud at the character's responses, for they were so farfetched and completely inhuman.

But it was a fun book. As a lover of all things supernatural (and of the Loch Ness Monster in part
Hector Gonzalez
Apr 13, 2011 Hector Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loch is a very engaging children's horror story, which is ironic considering you wouldn't want to scare your children before bed. But it's old school horror in that it doesn't feel it necessary to flash blood and dead bodies and murder to the reader as our tvs seem to believe is necessary these days. From a literary standpoint, this is a simple book to read considering it was made for children, but sometimes, it's more important for the reader to not need to be accompanied by a dictionary to rea ...more
Ms. Yingling
Loch and his sister Zaidee are with their father at Lake Alban. He is working for the evil Mr. Cavenger, who is trying to find Loch Ness type creatures to "study". There are several in the lake; Rogue, who is the biggest and has killed a couple of people, and a smaller one. Then, Loch finds a baby pleiosaur he calls Wee Beastie and feeds ham sandwiches. Even though the older versions like to chomp people in half, Loch feels comfortable frolicking with the small one. When it becomes clear that Ca ...more
Kay
Feb 18, 2011 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-2012
Suprisingly, this book was actually pretty decent. The plot moved along pretty quickly, which I thought helped the book to steer clear of the boring waste of paper that it could have easily become. The one thing I really enjoyed about this book was the development of the characters. It's not very long, and I was suprised how quickly the characters all clicked to one another. However, I found the ending to be weak and unsatisfying, although it does takes an exceptional ending to really impress me ...more
Dayna Smith
Nov 13, 2011 Dayna Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Loch is a young boy whose father is one of a team of scientists trying to find a monster in a lake in upstate New York. The question is, do they want to find it or kill it? Three kids try to save a baby plesiosaur from evil cryptozoologists and keep their families together at the same time. Zindel was a chemistry teacher and so brings scientific realism to a rather unrealistic story. This is a good pick for kids who don't like to read. It's easy, fun, and quickly engaging.
Luke Smith
This was one of those books that is ok but is not the best book you will ever read. It has the same storline as every other book in this world, the kids find the beast, hide it from the bad guys, and help it survive. It's not a book I would recommend to everyone, just elementary school kids. If I got a choice to read this book again i would not. There are some parts in the book that make you want to read more and there are also parts that don't. Like I said it was alright but just alright.
Francisco Palma
I thought that this book was a moderately good book to read. It wasnt the best book I've read, but it kept reading through the pages. The reason why I liked this book is because it had a good amount of suspense in it. There was some parts that I did'nt like because I couldn't understand it. For example, I had to read some parts several times because of how the author had it written. Some pages were confusing on the storyline. But it was really good throughout the story.
Mj
Oct 07, 2016 Mj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was probably the coolest book a twelve year old could find. The cover alone remains burned in my memory.

As I've said before, Paul Zindel is basically a preteen horror harlequin, with his schlocky premises and surprising gore for his age group. But damnit if this book isn't fun! It easily tops my list of Zindel books. Even if I were to revisit it and see its warts, nostalgia would still ensure a good time.
Tracy
Apr 20, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio book. We listened to this in the car on Spring Break, and everybody liked it a lot. Not for little ones, though, I would recommend nine and up. Lots of action, a little bit of gory death (only the bad guys), and a happy ending. The only reason its a four instead of five is that the narrator was not as good as others we've loved. (the Harry Pottery guy).
Nadine
Jan 12, 2014 Nadine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little disappointing to me. For one it could of been longer, it had a great story line to it but was cut too short. Second, the ending was predictable and I felt it left me hanging. I would though recommend this to young kids. Maybe the more books I read I become more critical of them because it did get great reviews. Happy Reading :)
Rachel Brown
Dec 14, 2012 Rachel Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has become one of my favorite books. I am very picky when I say that. Although I have read and like thousands of books, very few make it onto my favorites list. This book brought the elements of mystery, horror, and adventure rolled into one package of awesomeness. I highly suggest it to anyone trying to find a quick read to occupy a few hours of the day with.
Dennis
Dec 23, 2011 Dennis rated it it was amazing
My son just read this book. He loved it. He's doesn't really like to read, and he couldn't put it down.It's about Loch Ness monsters in a lake in vermont. He read a few parts to me, sounded very exciting. Now he just ordered The Doom Stone, the next book in the series about a monster at Stone Henge. He's hooked! So nice to see him find something he likes to read.
Cédric
I read this book in 9th grade. At the time, I was pretty disturbed by some of the gruesome descriptions of people being eaten, but I still enjoyed the book. Probably wouldn't think much of it if I read it today.
Betty
Jul 29, 2009 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I put this book down and thought, "they must make this into a movie starring leonardo dicaprio." well now, dicaprio is too old so they can use shia labeouf or zac efron. I just loved this book as a young girl. just loved it.
Suzanne Dix
This certainly had action and a happy (though totally unrealistic) ending. The writing was not the greatest and the dialogue at times was weak. I could recommend this book to reluctant readers, particularly boys.
Joan Stelter
Jun 17, 2009 Joan Stelter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Since I really enjoy books with lots of adventure, I did like this book and feel comfortable recommending it especially to boys. Just like Raptor a prehistoric animal is involved. The ending shows compassion for all living things!
  • Ghost of a Hanged Man
  • Second Skin
  • Stumptown Kid
  • Leviathan
  • 42 Miles
  • Wolf Rider
  • The Journey That Saved Curious George : The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Aliens: Tales to Warp Your Mind
  • Olivia Kidney
  • Vanishing Acts
  • River Quest (Dinotopia, #2)
  • Masters of Disaster
  • Hurricane
  • Under the Mountain
  • Cold Case
  • Little Audrey
  • The Terrorist
  • Drita, My Homegirl
Paul Zindel was an American author, playwright and educator.

In 1964, he wrote The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, his first and most successful play. The play ran off-Broadway in 1970, and on Broadway in 1971. It won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It was also made into a 1972 movie by 20th Century Fox. Charlotte Zolotow, then a vice-president at Harper & Row (now Harper-
More about Paul Zindel...

Zone Unknown (6 books)