Start by marking “The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace (Lord Iffy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace (Lord Iffy, #1)

The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace

(The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace #1)

Lord Iffy Boatrace invited some of the Old Boys for a holiday with a difference. But even he, with his penchant for fishnet stockings and stiletto heels, is stunned by the antics of his guests - to say nothing of the Butler who invented the ultimate sex machine.The author also wrote "Iron Maiden".
Published May 17th 1990 by Sidgwick & Jackson

RedemptionDenied
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whoa...this brings back memories. I read this not long after it was first published, which was about twenty seven years ago. I don't remember much about it now; except how insanely funny it was. I remember the Butlers' invention: The Pelvotron, which seems to have a mind of its own. No surprises there, I guess. What happens when that contraption is set loose?

My younger self would have rated this book four stars, so I'll need to do a reread sometime, to see if my older self agrees; if not, I'll
Rebecca
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
funny as HELL!!! Bruce is a master in ALL aspects of the arts!!!
Andrew
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm giving these three stars as despite everything(enjoyment wise it really deserves a two) it is an inventive book and pretty well written.
This is the first of two comic farce type books written by IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson and that I suspect is the main reason this book hasn't faded into obscurity..almost any Rock fan (myself included) would be intrigued by this book if chancing upon it.
I suspect it's out of print now I found my copy amongst some Children's books in a local charity sh
Philip
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I remember this book coming out in 1990 and wanting to read it, just for curio value. Surely a novel penned by Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson must be worth a look, right? Well, it's taken me until now to get around to reading it... I wish I could say it was worth the wait.

The writing is fine, good even, but the story is thin and meandering. Lord Iffy Boatrace is in financial trouble so he invites a few of his upper-class-twit friends to his estate to see his new invention, which he hopes w
C.A. Bryers
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's juvenile, cartoonish, and referred to upon it's release by one reviewer as something akin to a "literary handjob." That said, it's a lot of fun. Bruce Dickinson creates a broad cast of unusual pairs who are lured to the castle of Lord Iffy Boatrace, who plans on bilking them all for their money to keep his lavish lifestyle afloat. What ensues is a downright wacky series of escapades of both the sexual and murderous variety. The whole thing made me think my mind's eye was watching a dirty ca ...more
Rebecca
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) writes his first novel in an almost Tom Sharp style. However saying that my partner has read all Tom Sharp's work and did not like this one bit, finding it pureile and unncessary. I, on the other hand, enjoyed both the characters and the plot first time round, although revisiting it more recently thought the apearance of Eddie was a bit naff.
Susie
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this many moons ago after discovering it in the library and don’t remember much of it, apart from it being ridiculously silly, uproariously funny, a little bit awkward in places, and... Very much an insight into Mr. Dickinson’s humour (if you weren’t aware already).
Sarah Tipper
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This tale is a very non politically correct sort of farce. It has very unsympathetic female characters and also very unsympathetic male characters. It’s got cartoonish violence and you shouldn’t take it too seriously. A lot of people meet a sticky end. It has a cameo by Eddie, some Iron Maiden music plays in a taxi, and it’s too rude to lend to my Mum. It’s a strange tale but very readable. There are too many uses of the word “breast” to count. There are words much ruder than breast. It’s best r ...more
Vernon William
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. Entertaining if somewhat farcical plot. I didn't really find it funny in the laughing out loud sense, but certainly amusing. Dickinson has a fast paced style but still manages to introduce satisfactorily a variety of colourful characters, and then bump them off in the same fashion. Some of the sexual scenes/description was a little overdone but I guess it fits in with the intended farcical nature. Dickinson has a very competent style and if you come across a copy you proba ...more
Amy
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
In all fairness, British humor has never really been my thing. I suppose the story ties together weirdly well in the end and it's pretty well-written, but it's super crude and straight-up weird. I doubt I'll read it again.
Darcy Gregg
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
not what I expected but very entertaining, definitely shock value that was a surprise. One wonders what goes through Bruce Dickinsons head.
Melissa
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Call me biased but I loved reading Bruce's double entendré. One cannot take this book seriously and that is the beauty of it.
Tony Matthews
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Enjoyable little farce.
Irene
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is possibly the most insane thing I have ever read

Onwards to The Missionary Position then
Liz
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books that I've read. Sadly, I no longer have the paperback so I can't reread it as an adult but 17 year old me thought it was brilliant!
Brigitte Schön
Apr 26, 2015
M
Feb 13, 2018
Timbo
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2017
Mark Fergusson
Jul 10, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Not My Apocalypse (Alex Holden, #1)
  • Guns N' Roses: The Band That Time Forgot: The Complete Unauthorised Biography
  • Appetite For Destruction: The Days Of Guns N' Roses
  • Wieczny Grunwald. Powieść zza końca czasów
  • Katedra
  • Spud: Exit, Pursued by a Bear
  • Where Do Nudists Keep Their Hankies?: ... and Other Naughty Questions You Always Wanted Answered
  • Relacja z pierwszej ręki
  • Non si muore tutte le mattine
  • The Ladybird Book of the Hangover
  • Zakon Krańca Świata, t. 1
  • The Language of Fear
  • The Incredible Tide
  • Star Wars:  The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
  • All the Dogs of My Life
  • What are You Doing Here?: A Black Woman's Life and Liberation in Heavy Metal
  • Mythbreaker (Gods & Monsters, #2)
  • Inside Little Britain
Paul Bruce Dickinson is a British singer, airline pilot, radio show host, DJ, Historian, television presenter, fencer and songwriter, best known as the lead singer in the heavy metal band Iron Maiden. According to Allmusic, Dickinson "was the most acclaimed and instantly recognizable vocalist to emerge from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement of the early-'80s".

The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace (2 books)
  • The Missionary Position (Lord Iffy, #2)