Start by marking “The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)

The Dragoneers

(The Chronicles of Susah #1)

"This novel defies conventional classification: is it science fiction? biblical fiction? thriller? The story describes a world where flying two-headed dragons and ogres exist, characters with telepathic gifts communicate with both animals and people, a man named Noah builds an Ark in his backyard, and a six-fingered giant named Lilith wants to take over the world. While th

Kindle Edition, 2, 384 pages
Published August 14th 2014 by Narrow Way Press LLC (first published November 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragoneers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragoneers

Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of the fantasy literature genre ever since I was a child. I have eagerly read and enjoyed many books such as the the Harry Potter series, the Lord of the Rings, the Inheritance Trilogy, the Dragonriders of Pern, and the Chronicles of Narnia. I was therefore excited by the idea of this book.

However, Book One of the Chronicles of Susah is different from all of these other series I mentioned - this particular book is set in historical places, coincides with ancient events, and is
Robert Wilson
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THIS NOVEL IS A TRAP: It will totally ensnare you!

Like the MASTER, feeding the 5000 with a few pita breads and some sardines, Sutherland has taken a few scraps of information [what the Bible gives about the world before the Flood of Noah] and has adeptly multiplied those crumbs into a grand, miraculous world of high fantasy, filled with dragons, giants, physical demons, and a host of other dangers. And it is a world populated by a very few brave souls who are willing to stand against the all too
Virginia
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Virginia by: FB
The Dragoneers, what an awesome book, blended with fact, fiction, imagination, and wonderful dragons. If I had to compare this book with any other….I would say “along the lines of Narnia”.
The ultimate battle of good and evil. The young woman Susah has strengths and powers she doesn’t realize as of yet, she has a hint in that she can hear the thoughts and feelings of others. Others are pulled into the lairs of Lilith, evil at its worse, but Susah has the discernment to sense evil. After seeing pa
Jeannie Walker
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love how the author starts off the novel and continues to drag the reader in with the mental picture he conjures up for us. It is my belief that only an amazing author can do this for readers.
I also love how the author calls on God for help in his novel.
The descriptive nature and ability of the C.D. Sutherland is astounding. Don't be fooled by the name of the novel- it is not about dragons or witchcraft- but it is a great story.
The dialogue is inpeccable and the writing is flawless!
I thorou
Emily
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I absolutely loved this book. It's completely different from any other story I've read. It's like L.Ron Hubbard meets Frank Peretti. Anyone who enjoys Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter or The Inheritance Trilogy will enjoy The Dragoneers.
I like how C.D. Sutherland creates an alternate history that is so different yet believable. Susah is a great heroine; the ogres and fallen angels were disgusting and creepy just like good villains need to be. I really was on the edge of my seat and the action s
Andy Bloom
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
At first I was hesitant at reading this book. I’m usually not into these kinds of books, but once I started the journey, it pulled me in and I couldn’t put it down until the last page was read. Some of the things I enjoyed were the blending of Biblical stories that we’re all familiar with, advance technologies with a little Sci-Fi thrown in the mix. Although it’s fictional and set in a time prior to the Biblical flood, who’s to say they didn’t have the means back then? Sure everything was destro ...more
Malcolm Petteway
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Read. I loved every word.

Charles has successfully done the impossible and brought a religous story most of us know and love and added a wonderful science fiction/fantasy element to it. It is superbly written and the plot is brilliantly orchestrated. My hat is off to you Charles. Keep it up.

P.S. I love the salute to our old squadron, and thanks for making the EWO/Defender a solid character.

Malcolm Petteway
Old Buff EWO/Sci Fi Author
Bill Tillman
This is one wild ride, first time author C.D. Sutherland has done a epic speculative fantasy. Susah is Noah's daughter and an animal lover, while going to Sethopolis for a shopping day meets danger and adventure beyond all imagination.

Susah determines that she wants to become a Dragoneer and defend Eden. Dragons with both one and two heads, Ogre's, Hogres, Giants, Fallen Angels and much more await Susah in this first of a planned 11 books.
Steven
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think it was the best of luck that I read this book blind. I simply liked the title, and as it was discounted, I got it on a lark. As I read, I realized that the main character is a daughter of Noah, she has a way with animals, and she's still trying to sort herself out in the world--she's coming of age. By the start of the second chapter, I was very, very excited for what awaited.

The setting of the book completely captured my imagination. Sutherland brings together some of the best gems of sp
Lyn Morgan
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even the beginning of this book has surprises. I knew before I began it, that it was loosely based on Genesis and set in Antediluvian times. I did not know that Sutherland has created a world of wonder and great accomplishments in technology so that the long ago world is quite similar to ours. Yes, I was surprised to find innovative ways of transportation, shopping similar to ours today and even the same sins we see in today's world. Though that last shouldn't have surprised me I suppose.
After
Chris Blake
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing blend of biblical stories and fantasy. I am a huge fantasy fan, and love the way this author incorporates that genre into a biblical setting. The book reads well, and by the end of chapter one I was already hooked. This book should be an easy decision for you. If you are into fantasy with a twist, it will keep you on the edge of your seat. The use of good an evil is so great. The main character Susah is the definition of heroine. She really shines through to show the difference b ...more
Diane Rapp
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for anything dragon, and started reading this book to discover more dragon riders. It took a very long time to get to the dragons but they were worth the wait. The book has a mix of Biblical characters living in a world with modern inventions, but protecting the Garden of Eden from anyone entering.

Susah is the daughter of Noah, who wonders why her dad is building the big boat. She can see auras and speak mentally with animals, which is a huge advantage when she finally becomes a dr
Cathie
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-free
Interesting read, I enjoyed the play on an alternate biblical world with a sci-fi twist.
Larry Liverman
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Question: What's more awesome than a fire and ice breathing dragon?
Answer: the person that has the ability to command and control one.

Using a female protagonist initially sounded far fetched, but then how could any human have such ability? Susah proves herself to be the unlikely nearly-superhero as she submits to the tough training while retaining her spunky spirit. A most excellent adventure.
C.D. Sutherland
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I may be a little biased in this review, this book contains an exciting adventure of a previously unheard of heroine, with unique experiences, which mix spirituality, martial arts, military doctrine, folk lore, and legend with the book of Genesis, taking care to not violate actual scripture while telling an extreme fantasy story. All of this suggests, there really is more to the story.
Melissa
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Dragoneers are.... yep, dragon riders. This story is okay, but it's really not my thing, hence the two stars. Although it may have dragons that could make for an interesting story, my expectations were way off course. I was thinking more like the Eragon kind of dragon riders. This, however, is a very unusual story of Susah, 17 years old, daughter of Noah, son of Lamech, son of Methuselah, descendant of Adam. Yes, THE Adam from the book of Genesis of the Holy Bible. Sutherland has taken these ...more
Debbie
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
“The Dragoneers” by C.D. Sunderland tells the story of Susah, the daughter of Noah, and descendant of Adam. Susah is gifted and talks to animals. Her father, Noah, is distant, and preoccupied with building a boat. The unthinkable happens when Susah visits Sethopolis, and family members are killed. Susah senses a calling and joins the Dragoneers and enters battles to protect Eden.

This book was confusing. It takes the familiar story of Genesis and significantly rewrites it. The reader struggles t
ceeeeg
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
this was a pretty decent story...different, a cool twist on biblical literature/history...very interesting...of course one of my fav genres is in the vein of comparative religion and mythology and as a gal raised on bible stories, this had a lot of appeal in that regard...

and very original in its exploration...if i were disappointed in any way, it was because it actually did not focus much on the mythological aspects that set the stage for the tale...

it did have stylistic issues and a lot of edi
Margaret Metz
I was . . . confused by this book. I admit to a teeny fascination with dragons that started when I was a little girl. I love the lore -- especially brave knights like St. George and the Dragon -- or the newer Eragon and Donita K. Paul's DragonKeeper Chronicles to name a couple.

This book had plenty of action, but it didn't seem clear whether it was Biblical fiction - retelling the story of Noah's Ark, or fantasy - going into dragon riding warriors who talk with their minds to animals and people
Michael Guerini
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
On a recent trip I read The Dragoneers. Immediately I liked Susah and became intrigued by her father, Noah. I also enjoyed the character of the Lead Dragoneer Dachux. This work is very creative and I applaud C.D. Sutherland on the melding of a biblical story with new ideas.

I am giving this book a 3.3 star rating. I would be inclined to give a 4 star rating if the book arrived at some of the key points more quickly. I like plot development but this book takes to long to develop. I often read Sci-
John Adams
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This amazing adventure of a budding heroine in the antediluvian world is interesting and compelling. Mr Sutherland crafts a fantasy world with fallen angels, giants, and flying dragons which is fresh and thought compelling. Those things are just the background as the story focuses on Susah, but those things along with the amazing technologies caused me to consider that Mr Sutherland's fantasy story might be closer to truth than other stories I've been told lately. I'm a fan of this series, just ...more
Holly
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ummm... religious undertones that i wasn't expecting confused me. Noah was father... cousins to marry Susahs brothers... "blasters", dragons, and giants... garden of eden...i didn't get it.
Cameron
Linda McDonald
Feb 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Dragon Soul
  • Dragon Dreams (The Chronicles of Shadow and Light #1)
  • The Serpent Kings
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World
  • Song of the Ovulum (Children of the Bard, #1)
  • Thy Kingdom Come (The Navitas Epidemic, #1)
  • The Goblin Market (Into the Green, #1)
  • Quest for Celestia: A Reimagining of the Pilgrim's Progress
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • Song of the Mountain (Mountain Trilogy, #1)
  • Covenant of War (Lion of War, #2)
  • The Fallen Angle (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #2)
  • Haunted Tree (The Magus Family Chronicles, #1)
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • Golden Mane (The Adventures of Sarah Coppernick, #1)
  • The Curse of the Thrax (Bloodsword Trilogy, Book 1)
C. D. Sutherland is a B-52 pilot turned novelist with his THE CHRONICLES OF SUSAH series. These novels defy conventional classification as they blend action and emotional tension with technology and spiritual intrigue in a coming of age story wrapped in an epic adventure set in the antediluvian age.

Born in Virginia, to the son of a coal-miner, who escaped a life in the dark Appalachian mines by jo

The Chronicles of Susah (2 books)
  • The Lost Dragoneer (The Chronicles of Susah, #2)
“You are free to make your own choices, but ultimately your choices make you.” 5 likes
“Look at all the resources around you before you make a decision. Look for ways to make your environment work for you. The solution to your most impossible problem might be right there in front of you. As obvious as a full Moon is on a dark night.” 4 likes