Start by marking “The Priest and the Peaches” as Want to Read:

The Priest and the Peaches

They find an ally in the local parish priest, Father Tim Sullivan, who tries his best to guide them through the strange, unchartered and turbulent waters of "grown-up world." A story that is sad, funny, and inspiring as it sh
ebook
Published by Tribute Books (first published December 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Priest and the Peaches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Priest and the Peaches

Ruth Hill
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
I absolutely loved this book! I am not generally a fan of YA books (unless we are speaking of the Hunger Games), but this one is unbelievable, and the theme of the story is quite uplifting.

When I began this book, I was honestly hooked before too long. The whole idea behind a story of an orphaned family of five children seems simple and possibly not that exciting. However, the story is so well-written, engaging, and humorous that I found myself not wanting to put the book down.

Some people might
Steven R. McEvoy
This book took me completely by surprise. I picked it up because of a glowing review from an author I really enjoy. But That review did not prepare me for how powerful and moving this story was. This book brought me close to tears, but also caused me to laugh literally out loud many times. The description of the book is:

"Take a seven day journey with the five, newly orphaned Peach kids, as they begin their struggle to remain a family while planning their dad's funeral.

They find an ally in the lo
Lissette
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Often times, faith is something almost all of us have a hard time in having. Believing in something you can't see is testing, most especially for those of us who have strayed from the Lord's path. Believing in his goodness, in the fact that he'll lead us along the righteous path, well, it can honestly be trying. The reason for this is because for some, the trials and tribulations they face along the way hard from them to place their trust in a being they're really not sure exists.

For the Peaches
Dennis McGeehan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So the question is should I smack Larry Peterson on the back of the head for making me tear up, slap him on the back for making me laugh or give him a bear hug and say Thank You for a story that touched me deeply.
The Priest and the Peaches is set in the 1960’s and some of the culture may be foreign to some readers, but to anyone who has not had a perfectly perfect life, the struggles, turmoil, fears, and doubts faced the Peach kids should resonate.
This book will entertain you, it will uplift you
Lenore Webb
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was my first book for my new e-reader. Yes, I picked a young adult book to start off with. Why? Well the learning curve of how it all works. Wondering if I would like using the screen and all. It all worked fine and I did not even bop myself in the head once. I know, but, it seems that when I read in bed I get sleepy. Imagine that. And then the books falls on my face....BOP! You know what I mean.

Well here I read of the plight of the Peaches. A family of 5 children (not all under the age of
☕️Kimberly
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The Priest and the Peaches by Larry Peterson captures the life of the newly orphaned Peach kids as they struggle in the aftermath of their father’s death and plan his funeral. This touching tale of faith and hope offers a glimpse into the lives of this working class Catholic family set in 1960’s Bronx, NY. Steeped in faith and laced with humor Peterson’s tale delivers a powerful message "to love thy neighbor."

This was an emotional and heartbreaking tale. This dysfunctional family has seen a lot
Nicola
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
The Priest and the Peaches is a different kind of book than I usually read and I very much enjoyed it! It's centered around the Peach kids who are orphaned and have to try to find their way in the world even though everything has changed dramatically for them. I was drawn to this one because the description sounds sweet and inspiring and I LOVE the cover! The colour is very striking.

I was hooked on this one from the beginning. The writing is very unique and really stands out. The voices are just
Burgandy Ice
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story has depth. For starters, an only parent dies.

There are five kids of a wide range of ages. The oldest is nearly 18 and finds himself thrust into leadership and responsibility all of sudden along with his sister, the next oldest. At the beginning of the story, their father dies suddenly, right around Christmas. There is the stark reality of sorrow to deal with as well as Christmas and funeral services, not to mention bills and simple survival.

Each of the Peach kids have their own person
Tia Bach
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Children steal your heart, and the Peaches are no exception. Your heart is even more invested because these children have been through so much loss. Early in the book, their father passes away and 18-year-old Teddy and 16-year-old Joanie have to deal with their grief and face the adult world and trying to keep their family together. The odds, and bills, are stacked against them.

Thankfully several members of the community, most of which the family was not expecting, and their priest are looking o
Arlena
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Raven Rating: 5
Blog Reviewed For: Great Minds Think Aloud
Review:

This was truly an amazing story of The Yimey Peach Family from the Bronx, New York. "The Priest and the Peaches" story started with five children being newly orphaned and their struggle to survive together as a family. With the help of the Father Tim Sullivan steering them to make good and wise decisions the children were able to overcome man
Kari
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, kindle
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. The synopsis looked interesting and I am always looking for new books to experience. Sadly, I didn't love it as much as I hoped I would. The general story was emotional and heartbreaking. The Peach family has lost their father and they now have to learn how to make it on their own. I liked the how the oldest siblings automatically jumped into trying to make things better for the younger ones and vowed to keep the family together. I also liked how the ...more
MarytheBookLover
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
My Opinion:
The book was really good. I found myself with so many emotions about these kids and all they had to endure. What a delightful surprise to feel so many tugs at my heart. I loved each of the kids and felt like I could relate to all of them. The way they deal with each other and the family as a whole is an inspiration. Also, the Love thy Neighbor meaning is throughout this book as well. Obviously, from the title there are religious meanings that come up throughout the book, they were not
Cecilia Robert
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
The 5 children from the Peach family lost their mother a while back, and just a few pages into the book lose their father. Without the guidance of their parents, they struggle to survive as a family. Teddy the oldest assumes responsibility Luckily Father Tim Sullivan steps in and acts as a guidance, playing a big role by helping them in difficulties they encounter.
The week after Pops (their father dies) the kids go through a lot, things one wouldn’t want their children to go through. The book is
Barb
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Priest and the Peaches introduces the Peach family at a crisis point in their lives: the sudden death of their father. Their mother had died a few years prior, and these kids ranging in age from 18 to 7 are completely on their own as 1966 begins. Now the two oldest, Teddy and Joanie, have to figure out how to get food on the table and pay the rent for their Bronx apartment. They're reminded, in the midst of hardship, just how much their father lived by his favorite catchphrase, "L-Y-N" (love ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
As this story progresses you see five children who are suddenly left without a parent. Their father dies, leaving the oldest who is only 18 to take care of his siblings and a mountain of debt.

It seems the kids are faced with one catastrophe and crisis after another and wonder what could happen next?

This book is a book about small miracles that make a big difference. The Peach children are often counseling with their Priest, he helps them along the way and also helps them see the miracles that ar
Kathleen
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Priest And The Peaches is a heartwarming inspirational book that will pull at your heartstrings. It is a story about the Peach family, five kids ranging from age six to eighteen who unexpectedly become orphans with the death of their father. Their mother passed away a few years ago, and now it is up to eighteen year old Teddy and seventeen year old Joanie to take their parent's place and keep the family together for their three younger brothers: James (aka Dancer) age fourteen, Robert (aka B ...more
Susanna Mahoney
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Is an amazing heart wrenching story about a family and their bond with each other, the unseen forces and the people in their lives. The family consists of a father and five children living together under one roof. They lost their mother to illness and their dad became lose in the world of alcohol and grief. He loves his family and does the best he can consider the circumstances.

When a tragedy hits the Peaches Family they have to fend for themselves and became a close knit family. More calamitie
ѦѺ™
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Habit 2: Begin with the end in mind. - Stephen Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

the five Peach siblings have just lost their father. orphaned, grieving and confused, the Peaches must hold on to each other if they wish to survive in a grown-up world.
author Larry Peterson's novel invites the reader to a nostalgic trip to the Bronx during the 1960s and to witness the events that transpired after the death of the Peach patriarch.
it was not difficult to feel for the children. i am an orp
Read2review
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I must admit, The Priest and the Peaches is not usually the sort of book I like to read – given that my first taste is usually for Science-Fiction and Fantasy. However, that’s not to say that every so often I don’t venture out into other genres now and then, because you’re never sure what little gems you may find.

The Priest and the Peaches is one of those gems that I found by entering out of my comfort zone. The tale is a slice of life/coming of age drama that follows the life of the Peach famil
Abria Mattina
Dec 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Abria by: Tribute Books
Shelves: abandoned
I received an ebook of The Priest and the Peaches in exchange for an honest review. Before I’d even finished the first chapter I had to Google it to check if the book was self-published. It wasn’t, and I balked. I’ve read self-published books of far superior quality–how could a professionally published and edited book be so bad? The grammatically incorrect title should have tipped me off. The family’s last name is Peach, not Peache. When pluralized it should be written as ‘Peachs,’ not ‘Peaches, ...more
Beverly McClure
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A priest and peaches? Now that’s a title that begs to be read. All sorts of images ran through my head. A priest that enjoys eating peaches? A priest that has some sort of incident with peaches? Hum. I had to find out, and I’m so glad I did.

The Priest and the Peaches, by Author Larry Peterson, is not quite like any other book I’ve read, and I’ve read many books. The Priest is a priest, Father Sullivan, but the Peaches are a family, made up of Pops, Joanie, Teddy, Dancer (James), Beeker (Robert)
Ottilie
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Priest and the Peaches
I was given an ebook copy to do a review.
When you lose your family, is there any hope left in the world? The Peach family experienced the lose of the last adult figure, the father of five children. Teddy at the ripe young age of 18 is now the head of the family as the children range from 18 to 6. The author shows the journey the family goes through as they are laying their father to rest and try to find stable ground to start over. The story was not quite what I was exp
Kristina
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Priest and the Peaches is about the five newly orphaned Peach kids (only one of them is 18, the rest are still minors). Right away you think this is going to be a sad story, and while some parts are, The Priest and the Peaches is also really heartwarming and funny!

After their father died, eighteen year old Teddy and his seventeen year old sister, Joanie are forced to become adults quickly and take care of their three younger brothers-Dancer, Beeker and Joey. While planning their father's fun
Cheryl Malandrinos
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Priest and the Peaches is the debut young adult historical e-book released by Tribute Books and authored by Larry Peterson. This is a moving story of one family’s life turned upside down by the sudden and unexpected death of their father. In addition to Peterson’s keen eye for detail, he provides readers a good glimpse into life in the Bronx in the mid-60’s. What I feel the author excelled in is how the characters evolved throughout the story. I was glad to see that not everyone had a change ...more
Lee-Ann Graff-Vinson
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yimey knew the secret to life. He made sure his family and friends did, too. Even when the love of his life died, he kept the faith. But then, Yimey died and his five children were left to fend for themselves – orphans in a grown up world.
Teddy and his sister, Joanie were now the adults of the house, taking care of the everyday happenings of a family. Their three younger siblings were more than handful. With work to attend, and high school exams to complete, Teddy and Joanie tried hard to fill
Sandra Stiles
I could not imagine being an eighteen year old with my life ahead of me and suddenly my life is changed drastically. Teddy must find a way to take care of his siblings after their father dies. He does the best he can. The neighbor downstairs is causing problems for Teddy. He needs help so he turns to Father Tim Sullivan. Help comes in many forms including guidance in matters of everyday life. There are moral lessons to be learned seasoned with a touch of Christianity. There were pats where I jus ...more
Sara Strand
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
What immediately drew me to this story was the fact that it's about kids who are having to grow up quickly and basically navigate through adulthood on a fast track. The Peach children immediately feel like real characters and within the first ten pages you are rooting for them and want them to do well.

Though some parts of the story I feel probably could have been taken out, I really enjoyed this book and sailed through it fairly quickly. The Peach family kind of reminds me of my mom and her brot
Marie Kuhlman
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is more than a story to be read... it holds lessons on life, love and happiness that we could all stand to revisit. What I found amazing as I read the story, only covers one week in the life of the Peach children. That one week, seven measly days, just so happened to be kicked off with the untimely death of a father they came to realize they barely knew.

I like to consider myself a good Christian, but books like The Priest and the Peaches that have significant religious themes often mak
Allizabeth Collins
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Description:

After the unexpected death of their father, the Peach children - Teddy, Joanie, Dancer, Beeker and Joey, (now orphans), must find a way to stay together, bury their father, and pay off his debts before they lose everything. [Christian Historical Fiction set in 1960's Bronx]

Review:

The Priest and the Peaches is a genuinely heartwarming story about growing up, dealing with grief, keeping family together, loving your neighbors, and having faith in God! When I started reading, I knew th
Andrea Guy
This was a really moving and enlightening read. It falls into the YA Christian catagory. I was surprised that the characters were Catholic and they were portrayed as good Catholics. That doesn't happen often in fiction.

The story involves the Peach family who have just lost their father. Father Sullivan is the parish priest at St Anne's who is trying to help them through their grief. I wish there were priests like Father Sullivan for everyone.

Larry Peterson writes the Catholic priest the way we a
Larry Peterson was born and raised in the Bronx, New York. A former Metal Lather/Reinforcing Iron-worker, he left that business after coming down with MS. He, his wife and three kids moved to Florida 30 years ago. Larry began doing freelance newspaper commentary after graduating from Tampa College in 1984.

His first children's picture book, "Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes" was published in 20