Start by marking “February Thaw & Other Stories of Contemporary Fantasy” as Want to Read:
February Thaw & Other Stories of Contemporary Fantasy

February Thaw & Other Stories of Contemporary Fantasy

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
February Thaw and Other Tales of Contemporary Fantasy is the second e-collection by Tanya Huff and brings together some of the short fiction that helped define the field. From an Imperial Dragon in Toronto's Chinatown, to a heavy-metal retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk, to the realization that the ancient gods are one highly dysfunctional family, Huff skews our world sli ...more
Published December 19th 2011 by Jabberwocky Literary Agency

Be the first to ask a question about February Thaw & Other Stories of Contemporary Fantasy

Nikki
The thing I really like about Tanya Huff's writing style is the matter of factness of it. Oh, look, it's a dragon. That's a bit unusual... While I like fantasy with a sense of wonder, which doesn't come through that often in these stories, Huff's brisk and accepting narration makes an interesting change.

I'd probably mostly recommend these short stories to people who like Tanya Huff's work already; they're fun stories, but they wouldn't blow you away.
Li
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love that Tanya Huff has been re-releasing her short story backlist, and I enjoyed every single one in this collection (which, trust me, is a rather rare occurrence).

Standouts for me were A Midsummer's Night Dream Team (a hilarious take on what happens when elves decide they're interested in the Olympics!) and February Thaw (a marital falling out between Hades and Persephone), but the other five shorts were good reads too.
Chris
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
The stories have appeared in various other collections, but I haven't read most of them. Just two. The title story, about a marriage problem in Hades, is aboslutely wonderful. However, I LOVE the retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk complete with attack on manufactured bands. The story about a dragon in Toronto is very powerful. Very good collection. If you are a Henry or Vicki fan, they do not appear in any of the stories. (Which I did not find a problem).

Additionally, if you are a Star Wars fan
Ann aka Iftcan
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ok, word of warning--all the stories in this book have been previously released in different anthologies. This is the first time they've all been together tho.

My personal favourite story in this anthology is the one that involves the Olympics and the Fae. WONDERFUL humour.

Then there was the time that a Celestial Dragon from China visited Canada.

Oh, and who'd have thought that the Greek Gods (especially Persephone) were such a funny--and human seeming--disfunctional family.

Susan
read 7/12/2001 re-read 9/28/2012 3/7/2015

"Burning Bright"
from Earth/Air/Fire/Water & Relative Magic
9/28/2012 3/7/2015

"When the Student is Ready"
from ApprenticeFantastic & Relative Magic
10/20/2012 3/7/2015

"Jack"
from Little Red Riding Hood in the Big Bad City & Finding Magic
10/21/2012 re-read 3/7/2015

"Symbols are a Percussion Instrument"
from Tarot Fantastic & What, Ho! Magic
read 7/13/2001 re-read 10/22/2012 re-read 3/5/2015
Miki
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun collection of previously published short stories. The title story is about what happens after the legend of Persephone and Hades ends - marital discord among the immortals causes unexpected problems. In another story, a young woman discovers that she isn't exactly human, but really is. A tarot reading becomes unexpectedly concrete, and sometimes a heritage is more than you expect. Huff is a good story teller, and while some of these are stronger than others, overall, there are vivid and inte ...more
Ayse
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Such classic Tanya Huff -- I love the way she doesn't shy away from setting the story in Canada and making it clear that it is not just some generic American city. I also love the little in-jokes for Canadians -- a few had me laughing out loud at times. These stories, though a little dated with the references to tech, were delightful examples of what urban fantasy can be. My favorite was the last story -- A midsummer's night dream team -- spectacularly funny
Kathryn Baron
A Midsummer Night's Dream Team **
Heather
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, fantasy
February Thaw is another relatively short, inexpensive ebook anthology of Tanya Huff short stories. And much like He Said, Sidhe Said and (especially) Swan’s Braid, it is worth every penny and then some.

February Thaw: Persephone has had a fight with her husband, Hades, and gone home to her mother, Demeter. Spring has come unfortunately early, and Demeter isn’t happy to have her relaxing winter cut short. She’s going to have to have words with that son-in-law of hers if she wants things to go bac
Cora
I enjoyed this collection of contemporary fantasy short stories gathered from different anthologies that Tanya Huff contributed to. While all the stories were entertaining, nothing really stood out to me. I liked the introduction to the each story that discussed what inspired Ms. Huff to write that particular story. However, I think that I missed a central theme that the original anthologies had. It felt like I was reading only a small part of the whole picture and would have enjoyed them more w ...more
Ron
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another e-collection of short stories that first appeared in various anthologies with entertaining introductions from Tanya Huff. I had not read as many of the stories before, but still glad to read and reread these tales.
Heather
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A collection of 7 stories of urban fantasy. Cranky wizards, a fire elemental, a reminder that George Lucas should have quit while he was ahead, and what REALLY happened to those missing Olympic medals. Witty, imaginative, and tightly constructed.
Pete731
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome short story collection. Been a fan for awhile, just got this in ebook form, really liked it. Also like the introductions and context for the stories. And of course, I like fiction set in places I know, like Toronto
Ryan
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Diane, Katherine, Brittany
Why I'd not found this before, I can't imagine. The first (February Thaw) hooked me immediately because I imagined myself to be Persephone when I was a child. Great retellings or re-imaginings of traditional tales.
Andrea
Another solid collection, though not quite as enjoyable as the first.
Dawn
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think my favorite was the dragon story, but I enjoyed the fire elemental one as well.

Also, Tanya Huff loves Dean Winchester, lalalalala......
Lori S.
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun collection of short stories!
Andan
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Huff is one of my favorite authors of novels. I also very much enjoyed this collection of short stories, and recommend it.

.. This is not my most eloquent review. But! It is heartfelt review!
Karen-Leigh
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another book of short stories. I love stories that take place in and around my town with recognizable landmarks. It makes things cosier. Each story was a finely wrought gem.
Saskia Oostingh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Maiden, Matron, and Crone
  • Sister Emily's Lightship and Other Stories
  • Human Tales
  • Chicks Ahoy! (Chicks in Chainmail, #1-3)
  • The Morgue the Merrier
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • The Very Best of Kate Elliott
  • The Sleeping Life (Eferum, #2)
  • Liaden Universe Constellation: Volume III
  • Deeds of Honor
  • Engraved on the Eye
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volume 2
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)