Start by marking “Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  383 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The secret to avoiding calcium-related osteoporosis and atherosclerosis While millions of people take calcium and Vitamin D supplements thinking they're helping their bones, the truth is, without the addition of Vitamin K2, such a health regimen could prove dangerous. Without Vitamin K2, the body cannot direct calcium to the bones where it's needed; instead, the calcium re ...more
Published November 7th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2011)

Willow
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diet
Did you know that if you live in the U.S. you are most likely deficient in a rather obscure, but extremely important vitamin called menaquinone, also known as vitamin K2? Well it’s true, and author Kate Rhéaume-Bleue has the data to prove it in her very informative book Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox.

Why is vitamin K2 (not to be confused with vitamin K1) so important? Well for one thing it helps get calcium to your bones. You may have heard in the news that calcium supplements cause heart at
Sheri
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book will be of most interest to those with a family history of heart disease but those taking vitamin D and/or calcium supplements will benefit also.
Connie
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
several years ago a group of MS friends and I began investigating the value of vitamin D 3 supplementation in an effort to relieve MS symptoms, and improve our general health and well-being.

In the process of our collective research, we also discovered that a little-known supplement, vitamin K 2, is absolutely critical for proper utilization of vitamin D 3.

There is also a close relationship between these two nutrients and calcium.

If you have been paying attention, the rate of cardiovascular disea
Kb
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Within the span of a few weeks, I first saw the fermented bean product natto used as an ingredient in a cooking competition on television. Then I read an interesting article on vitamins K1 and K2 which briefly alluded to the "X factor" research, and identified natto as the highest food source of vitamin K2. Finally I saw this book on prominent display in my local health food store. So I feel I was destined to read it.

I was already aware of the benefits of pastured (grass-fed) beef for getting th
Nancy
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is amazing information. I think everyone should read this book, that is if they are interested in not dying an early death from cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer's, osteoporosis ( yes people die from this after falling) diabetes and other common diseases of the modern world. Prevention or cure from a vitamin sounds like a pipe dream or worse, quackery, right? Well, our bodies require certain essential vitamins to be in our diets because our bodies are not able to synthesize them. But what if ...more
Michael Hyatt
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Critically Important Vitamin I Knew Nothing About

Before reading this book, I knew nothing about Vitamin K, let alone the distinction between K1 and K2. A friend recommended this book when I shared with him that I had received a high Cardiac Calcium Scan Score.

Essentially K2 enables your body to store calcium in your bones (where you need it) rather than in your tissues (where you don’t). In fact, not only can K2 prevent heart disease. It can actually reverse it. The author presents compelling
Sara
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An eloquent argument for K2 supplementation for just about everyone. I've ordered my first bottle of it and - because of this book - I was able to choose from the myriad formulations with confidence. A must-read for anyone who has a beating heart and wants to keep it that way as long as possible. There's just one thing I wish the author had included: a chart with optimum dosing of K2, A, D3 and E.
Juan
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: salud-nutrición
El libro consiste en una exposición bastante completa y muy bien ordenada de los nuevos conocimientos en torno a la relativamente desconocida vitamina k2. Esta vitamina está recibiendo mucha atención desde hace poco debido al descubrimiento de su papel crítico en el metabolismo del calcio, tanto en el desarrollo y mantenimiento de la masa ósea como, por su papel en la inhibición de la producción de ateromas y disminución del riesgo cardíaco, y porque su déficit es clave en la osteoporosis, la ca ...more
Karen
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by a doctor friend who asked me why I was taking calcium/magnesium/vitamin D without taking Vitamin K2. I had never heard of Vitamin K2. She purchased Rheamue-Bleue's book for me and I am so glad she did. I didn't realize that without Vitamin K2 calcium goes directly into the bloodstream and ultimately clogs the arteries. Vitamin K2 directs calcium to the bones, where it belongs. Also, Vitamin K2 requires Vitamin A and Vitamin D to work properly. This book explains all ...more
Barbara M
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent review of the inter-relationships between vitamin K2, Vitamin D, calcium and Vitamin A written by a medical doctor.

I did not know that grass fed butter, dairy products, eggs and meats contain K2 and that non-grass fed products have little or no K2. Gouda and brie cheeses are high in K2 which is something I would enjoy eating. There is also a Japanese delicacy called nano which has the highest K2 of any food. It was mentioned repeatedly that it is rather repugnant to Western tastes -
Marion Husband
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting, everyone should read this just to be better informed re diet and calcium, then make a decision about whether or not to supplement with K2
Mwalkes
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent information. I expected redundant information because I have read so many books on nutrition. Not so. I recommend it for anyone that has heart disease in their family.
irene Hayden
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read if your supplementing with vitamin D and or Calcium.

I found this book to be incredibly informative and possibly life saving, especially if your taking D or calcium supplements. I feel the downside of this book was that the critical information that was given needed a lot more guidance. The supplements advised to take together is critical to protect arteries from plaque was very informative. But, no advisable dosages were given. Clearly it was understood that the recommended dosages w
James Hyland
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A struggle to put it down!

This comprehensive study read like an action-adventure novel. The writer speaks with a clear and engaging voice, and her command of
the subject presented throughout. I discovered material concerning D3-K2-A that I've not heard of anywhere else. She also provided insightful context. This book is a must have for anyone interested in improving their health and diminishing their chances of acquiring
degenerative diseases waiting for so many of us these days. Incredibly well
John Min
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is also a life saving book, one every health conscious person NEEDS to read. Vitamin K2 is so important for health and longevity and yet it's role in human physiology was only (re)discovered in 1996. So most MD's still know nothing about this vitamin, a vitamin that can reverse calcified and hardened arteries. MD's are still pushing statin drugs instead of real food and essential nutrients like this, vitamin K2. A great and surprising read, I make sure I get my K2 every day in the Mk7 form ...more
Rachel Whiteman
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vitamin K2 is a key nutrient that we all need to be aware of and make sure that we get enough of! Vitamin K2 works with calcium and vitamin D to strengthen bones and keep arteries clear of blockages. I can’t believe we have overlooked it for this long. Thankfully this book is here to tell us all about it! An important read for everyone who wants to improve their own health, and for anyone involved in public health policy making, epidemiology and science of nutrition and health.

Heather
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found the book intriguing and helpful in my studies of osteoporosis and heart health. The book can be a little repetitive. I think it is because the chapters don't necessarily need to be read in order.
Rosemarie
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written and informative. I had never heard of K2 and its part in calcium absorption, etc. A must read for everyone.
Susan
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a "must read." Absolutely crucial information.
Joyce
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative.

Recommend this book to anyone who is seriously interested in their health. It is presented in a format that is both informative and interesting.
lazza
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent review of the importance of vitamin K2

It is fascinating how such an important vitamin, K2, few have heard of, is so vital to one's health. Without this vitamin bones can become brittle, calcium builds up in arteries, dental problems ensue, etc. The author does a fine job explaining how K2 works synergistically with vitamins A and D to ensure calcium is absorbed from foods and is utilized by the body in a healthful way.

However the author speaks little of recommended dosages of vitamins
Waseem
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting book very informative and a must for followers of Vitamin D to ensure you gets its full benefits and less the toxic effects ( that's what led me to this book)

A bit difficult read at times with added " filler" content I feel it can have done without to keep one engaged and not want to switch off - but I got there in the end

Any fellow leaders of this book - id love to hear your comments and recommendations as to your chosen source or supplement for vitamin k2?

Please leave your answer i
Tam
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
So far the only book on Vitamin K2. I learned a lot from reading this book. A lot of the info in this book is new to me, but i hope the information in this book becomes widely dispersed, as there are important health considerations. As a direct conseqeunce of reading this book, i have told my mom to take vitamin K2 supplements, as she is at risk for osteoporosis. However, since the author is a doctor, and not an author/science writer/journalist, her message isn't as refined nor her argument as c ...more
Barbara Johns
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a worthwhile read. This little known and once plentiful vitamin is the key the enabling the critical processes of Vitamin D and Vitamin A and making sure that calcium is deposited in your bones and not in your arteries. It effects everything from preventing wrinkles and varicose veins to proper fetal development to cancer, osteoporosis, and heart disease. It is naturally found in foods like Natto and grassfed animal products & fats. It is available in supplement form if your diet do ...more
Tina
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wish this book was required reading for all primary care personnel.
FYI- k2 and adjuncts move calcium from places it does not belong-like your arteries into your bones where it needs to be. I found almost every page in this book to be useful and enlightening.
Recommend for anyone with chronic pain, heart, vein or bone issues.
The most helpful thing for me was finding out that my chronic need to turn up the lights at night is because I am deficient in Vitamin A.
Casey
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kudos to the author for compiling all the latest research and writing about it in a format appropriate for a layperson. My only complaint was that it was repetitive, as if really trying to hammer home certain facts. I really appreciated the distinction from Vit. K1 and the historical basis behind the confusion. Here's hoping Vitamin K2 is the missing link for my bone health.
Julianne
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
If you keep a mediocre education on vitamins and supplements, this book presents an update to an older dogma about calcium and how to get it to where you need it to be. There are several parts that you can skim if the issue doesn't apply to you but I appreciated the no-nonsense approach to why you should consider adding more K2 to your diet.
Diane Bowdler
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The author is overly repetitive; perhaps she assumes that people will be skimming the book, so she give the important information over and over. But the information is fascinating. This book was so much more interesting than I expected it to be. Who knew that without K2, you could actually be damaging your heart by taking calcium supplements?
Nicole
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone interested in nutrition. The author presents a well-rounded explanation about vitamin K2 and how it works with vitamins A and D. Good information on how K2 can help with osteoporosis, coronary health and a plethora of other medical conditions. Intriguing info that makes sense.
Barbara
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book basically expresses how important vitamin K2 is to our bodies. It helps to prevent the calcium you eat/drink from going into your soft tissues (which causes all kinds of health problems) and instead puts it into your bones where it is needed. The book is a little too technical and a bit boring, but a very worthwhile read.
  • The Crazy Makers
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • The Fast Track Detox Diet
  • Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye: A Do-It-Yourself Mouth Care System for Healthy, Clean Gums and Teeth
  • The New ME Diet: Eat More, Work Out Less, and Actually Lose Weight While You Rest
  • Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
  • The Diet Cure
  • Pharmageddon
  • Naked Calories: How Micronutrients Can Maximize Weight Loss, Prevent Disease and Enhance Your Life
  • Sweet Potato Power: Smart Carbs:  Paleo and Personalized
  • Dangerous Grains: The Devastating Truth about Wheat and Gluten, and How to Restore Your Health
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Intestine
  • Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You--And Your Waistline--And Drop the Weight for Good
Kate Rhéaume is a biologist. She then turned towards Naturopathic Medicine and graduated from Toronto's Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in 2002.
More about Kate Rhéaume-Bleue