Start by marking “A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl” as Want to Read:
A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl

A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl

The tragic murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl is well known. Why he was in Karachi; how he saw his role as an international journalist: why he was singled out for kidnapping; and where the incredible search effort led - are the subject of Mariane Pearl's book. A journalist in her own right, Mariane is, as was her husband, profoundly committed to the idea t ...more
Published October 16th 2003 by Virago Press Ltd (first published September 30th 2003)

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselBeing and Time by Martin HeideggerHiroshima by John HerseyBlood River by Tim Butcher
Must Read Non-Fiction
2,185 books — 2,366 voters
Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonUnbroken by Laura HillenbrandEinstein by Walter IsaacsonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerJohn Adams by David McCullough
Best Biographies
994 books — 2,275 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read! A painful,sad and also a really courageous account of 'WHAT' really happen! (paperback!)
Stef
Oct 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You already know the ending, but the process of getting there is mind-blowing. Too many confusing names to keep track of, but both Pearl's determinism and strength is almost too much to bear. And no, I haven't seen the movie...
Clare Herbert
Jul 16, 2012
Carrie
Nov 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely difficult to read at times. It was heart-breaking to imagine what Mariane Pearl must have felt as she helped investigate the kidnapping of her husband, Wall Street journalist Daniel Pearl, by Islamic Fundamentalists. Mariane's humanity and strength are quite amazing. As a journalist who has seen Islamic Fundamentalism firsthand, she also does a good job of giving an insider's account of what its threat means to the Western World. This book is definitely sad (be ready to ...more
Courtney
I had put this book on my Amazon wish list awhile back, around the same time I saw the movie adaptation starring Angelina Jolie. I knew that the movie stayed as true as possible to the book, so I really wanted to get a more in-depth look at the life of Danny and Mariane Pearl.

The portrait Mariane Pearl paints of her husband, their friends, Pakistan, and those who were a part of the massive effort to find and bring Danny Pearl home is detailed and incredibly perceptive. She made me feel as if I k
Angie
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I was in high school, I felt like I was the only one in the world who cared about a journalist named Daniel Pearl. I was, at least, the only one in my high school who cared about it.

Until I approached the teacher who ran the school newspaper about writing an article on him.

It was my first year on the staff, and I was pretty much the head editor anyways, going in after school to edit and change the layouts of articles.

If I remember correctly, my article on Daniel Pearl was printed on the fro
Kristina
This was a beautiful and touching book. I enjoyed learning about their life together. It was amazing to see how many people cared deeply about Danny Pearl and worked to find him. The movie is also very good.
Will Byrnes
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very good telling of her experience of Daniel's travails, and her own.
Graceann
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love freedom and peace
Shelves: memoir
On January 23, 2002, Daniel Pearl hopped into a taxi in pursuit of a story, and became one instead. This book is the memoir of his wife, Mariane, as she navigated the days and weeks after his kidnapping and murder, and the birth of their son.

Mariane Pearl's feeling of helplessness, despite being better equipped with knowledge of her surroundings than most would be in the same situation, is palpable. Her skill as a writer shines through in these pages - her increasing loathing for the recorded v
Nicole
Aug 12, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a great book and a horrible real life account of the kidnapping and murder of journalist Danny Pearl in Pakistan. It is also a reminder of how little I truly know about al qaeda and international terrorism in general. So many groups, religions, organizations, and players that continuously morph is overwhelmingly scary. And the corruption is absolutely absurd. Not a particularly 'pretty' read, nor do I think it is written exceptionally well - but very informative. I havent seen the movie ...more
Jenn
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting true story of kidnapping in Pakistan and the murder of Danny Pearl a journalist from New York. Written by his wife who was pregnant with their son, Adam when Danny was beheaded.

Turned into a movie starring Angelina Jolie which I have yet to see but have been told is heartwrenching.
Adrian Jackson
Jan 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I wanted to enjoy this, but it was awful. In the midst of retelling the kidnapping and death of her husband, she includes details like a fun trip to McDonald's, hot guys and camaraderie. I found that this diminished what was important, and made the book unappealing. It was not well-written (the author is a journalist), but, worse, it also poorly edited.
Jessica Marie
A heartbreaking read that pulls you into the search for Danny Pearl. Even though I knew Danny's fate, I still held my breath (and hope) until the very end.
Melissa Ball
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't have words. Her story and that of Danny are a true work of strength and courage and intelligence. Read it with a whole heart.
Boshika Gupta
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Words are not enough. Words are just not enough.
Kellen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Another heavy, but incredibly moving read. Being a longtime Angelina Jolie fan I saw the movie years ago but the book has been on my To Read list for a long time. Mariane Pearl is undoubtedly one of the strongest people who has ever lived. The way she handled herself with such courage, dignity, and grace while living through this nightmare is awe inspiring. And sweet, goofy Danny. Adoring husband, excited expectant father, seeker of justice and truth, and another beautiful soul ripped out of thi ...more
Susan
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written and hard to read retelling of the kidnapping and eventual murder of Daniel Pearl, the author's husband, at the hands of terrorists in Pakistan shortly after the 9/11 bombings. She writes with intense detail and passion about her experiences before, during and immediately after the event.
Ramona
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek heeft diepe indruk op mij gemaakt. Ik heb geen woorden om uit te leggen wat ik nu voel. Natuurlijk volgde ook ik toentertijd de berichtgeving over Daniel Pearl en maakte dat al een behoorlijke indruk maar nu ik dit inkijkje in de levens van de betrokkenen gekregen heb, zijn er geen woorden om te omschrijven wat er door me heen gaat.
Diane
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good read. A lesson in the struggles of Pakistan, America, India, and the whole situation that is still a part of our experience.
David Ruby
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nyt, nbpl
Compelling story. Movie is also enjoyable with book.
Tiffany McElmeel
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nellie
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5
Lillibet Moore
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved Mariane's voice and hearing her narrate it herself.
Heather
You've probably heard about the 2002 kidnapping and killing of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. You probably know the basic facts about this book, which brought you to it—this is a memoir of the ordeal through the eyes of his widow Mariane Pearl, recounting day by excruciating day. I don't need to tell you the basics.

Perhaps my favorite part of this book was the ending—having seen the darkest side of humanity, Mariane includes a curated collection of just some of the letters she receiv
Donald
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Mighty Heart is Mariane Pearl's account of the kidnapping and murder of her husband, Wall Street Journal's Daniel Pearl, by terrorists in Pakistan in early 2002. After his disappearance, Mariane assembled a team to help find Daniel, and this memoir shows a race against the clock as the team wades through political red tape and corruption to determine who was responsible for the kidnapping and where Daniel was being held. This was such a high-profile crime, that the reader already knows the out ...more
ana
Dec 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in the worldnews; people mad about a beautiful love story
Departing from the story of a journalist from the Wall Street Journal, Daniel Pearl, abducted and murdered in Pakistan, this book is his wife's heartfelt but not sentimentalist tribute to the journalist, the loving companion and the father-to-be, whose son Adam he never met. A journalist herself, French-born Mariane, recounts those terrible moments she had to undergo, in a strange country, being pregnant, the hopes and frustrations in the search for her husband, and the comfort and help she rece ...more
Toni Osborne
Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped by terrorist in Pakistan in 2002. His pregnant wife Mariane tried to manage the search effort. This memoir reveals every emotional heart-wrenching detail during the month of Pearl's kidnapping up to the news of his death. Mariane a journalist herself paces the events as they unfold, complete with the frustration in dealing with the Karachi's bureaucracy and the intricate machinations of the international terrorist community.

She starts by de
Gary
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A moving and absorbing real life account of the last months of Daniel Pearl and how his wife Marianne dealt with being in Pakistan after Daniel was kidnapped by Islamic terrorists. A window into the mind of the terrorists and jihadis who plague the world , whether it be the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan ruling the areas under their control with terror, Hamas and Islamic Jihad targeting Israel's
civilian population , Islamists killing Buddhists in Burma or killing Christians in Nigeria, Iran
Drew
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Drew by: Read months after watching the movie (later snubbed during award
When I read, I typically read two books at once, alternating on the books depending on my mood. Typically one of these books are serious and the other is fluff.
I quickly discovered that my most recent read deserved to be read all on its own.

Last year, I saw "A Mighty Heart," starring Angelina Jolie and I was touched by the story.
Last night, I finished the book by the same name, written by Daniel Pearl's widow, Mariane, about her husband's kidnapping, the struggle against time to save him and how
Katy
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this book in under a week because I couldn't put it down. We all know the basics; Daniel Pearl was kidnapped in Karachi, Pakistan in early 2002. His wife, Mariane was pregnant at the time. Danny did not make it, his captors beheaded him.

What this book tells his Mariane's story which is heartbreaking and encouraging. She fought desperately to get her husband back in a land where no one knows who to trust, not even local police. She never fell apart and even after she found out her dear, de
  • Notes from My Travels: Visits with Refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan and Ecuador
  • Ten Thousand Sorrows : The Extraordinary Journey of a Korean War Orphan
  • My Life as a Traitor: An Iranian Memoir
  • In an Instant: A Family's Journey of Love and Healing
  • Seeds of Terror: How Heroin Is Bankrolling the Taliban and al Qaeda
  • Make a Name for Yourself: Eight Steps Every Woman Needs to Create a Personal Brand Strategy for Success
  • The Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan After the Taliban
  • Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • Minders of Make-Believe: Idealists, Entrepreneurs, and the Shaping of American Children's Literature
  • Journey Home
  • The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca
  • Living Judaism: The Complete Guide to Jewish Belief, Tradition, and Practice
  • Secrets of the Red Lantern: Stories and Recipes from the Heart
  • The Perfect Gentleman: A Muslim Boy Meets the West
  • Out of Captivity: Surviving 1,967 Days in the Colombian Jungle
  • Even After All This Time: A Story of Love, Revolution, and Leaving Iran
  • . . . and His Lovely Wife: A Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man
She is a French freelance journalist and a reporter and columnist for Glamour magazine. She is the widow of Daniel Pearl, the Wall Street Journal reporter who was kidnapped and murdered by terrorists in Pakistan in early 2002.

Pearl, being of Dutch-Jewish, Afro-Latino-Cuban and Chinese Cuban ancestry and raised in Paris, Van Neyenhoff met Daniel Pearl while he was on assignment in Paris.

They marrie
“It's like Romeo & Juliet,' I say. 'You can't separate them. Otherwise, there would be no Shakespeare.'
Silence.
I decide to be more straightforward. I tell him, 'Nothing frightens me anymore. I am not even afraid to die.'
Bussey's eyes, already wide open, grow even wider. My death is the last thing he needs.
I have the strange feeling that there are two of me. One observes the conversation while the other does the talking. Everything is abnormal, especially this extreme calm that has taken me over. I try to explain to Bussey that if I decide to die, it will be without bitterness. I know I did everything I possibly could, so it will be respectful farewell. I will bow to life like an actor, who, having delivered his lines, bends deeply to his audience & retires. I tell Bussey that this decision has nothing to do with him, that it is entirely mine. I will choose either to live or to die, but I cannot allow myself to live in the in-between. I do not want to go through life like a ghost.
'Do you think you'll find Danny this way?' Bussey asks.
My mind sifts through all available theories on the afterlife. It is as if this metaphysical question has become as real as the air we breathe. Buddhism teaches that life is an eternal cycle without beginning or end. I recall the metaphor: "Our individual lives are like waves produced from the great ocean that is the universe. The emergence of a wave is life, and its abatement is death. This rhythm repeats eternally."
Finally I answer Bussey, 'No, I don't think so.'
Bussey seems relieved, but I'm more panicky, because I had never thought that I could wind up alone. In my mind, whatever the odds, Danny & I were & would be together forever.”
6 likes
“What she saw in their eyes terrified her. She was a woman traveling alone, in a country that had not seen exposed female faces in over five years. She turned back and cried tears of frustration all the way to Pakistan.

...Asra..., I find her fantasy delightful. Who else would risk her life to take stuffies to Afghanistan?”
5 likes