Start by marking “There Is No Hope Here” as Want to Read:
There Is No Hope Here

There Is No Hope Here

Her walk with God began at the age of 7 when her father died. It continued when her mother was spared from cancer. Now it leads her to the dark arena of poverty where grown-ups are at the mercy of life and children are at the mercy of grown-ups. There Is No Hope Here is a true story that offers a glimpse into the eyes and soul of Appalachia.
Published November 19th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about There Is No Hope Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Is No Hope Here

Start your review of There Is No Hope Here
Petra-X
Apparently writing "see comments" can get a review banned (an author just nixed one but who cares, it's on the same shelf as this one and the shelf name speaks for itself) so this will be a proper review of the various excerpts I read and downloaded on the net.

This author, who calls himself Dick, introduced me to his book by sending me a "friend" request together with a long "message" all about his book and how I would enjoy it and it was about Christianity. I don't know why he would think that
Richard Biggs
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book because of my love for Appalachia. If you read it, let me know what you think. You can read an excerpt at http://www.richardbiggsliterary.com

Because so many readers have expressed shock of my description of the Appalachian problem, I have made 2 You Tube videos. Watch them, read the book, and get active.

Dick
KyBunnies
Jan 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
I won this book from another site. The author emailed me demanding a review of his book. I am refusing to read this book because of his demand!

Strange the author can not understand that someone working 12 hour 7 day a week shifts with other family priorities are more important than reading his book.
Deborah
Some months back, I came across a note somewhere about Richard Biggs's book having to do with Appalachia and the poverty there. I have no idea today where or when or how I found it. I only know that the book so moved me upon an initial introduction that I had to read it in full, and wanted to review it for my readers. So, I contacted Mr. Biggs and began an email conversation with him about my roots in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina, and how I was extremely interested ...more
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book as part of the 1st reads program. I found it to be very eye opening and inspirational. I did not know that the poverty level in Appalachia was so high. It's sad that in a nation that has so much there are still children and families that go without the basic necessaties. I found Julie's dedication to the cause to be very inspirational and made me think about what I could do to help.

It was very obvious that the author felt very strongly about his subjects and in writing this novel
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was skeptical of this book when I started reading it because I don't generally like books about poverty and suffering, but I have a fascination with the Appalachian Mountains, so I thought I would give it a chance. I am so glad that I did. The story is both parts heartwarming and heartbreaking. What this woman tried to do for the people of the Appalachian Mountains is amazing and I'm glad someone told her story. Not a book that you want to read while reading other books.
Linda
Jan 25, 2012 added it
Imagine living with no hope...this book brings to light poverty in America. Often we want to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist in our own country and neighborhoods. I would recommend this book to everyone. It is relevant to all ages, races and gender. Well done, Richard Biggs. Your compassion is so obvious through the powerful words you have written.
Susan
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this book hard to read but I think it is because of the topic of the book. It is about the families that live in the mountains in the east that are below poverty level. It is a touching book and I wonder why the author didn't include information about how to donate or get involved with this organization that the book is all about?
Jamie Dubois
A story of how a remarkable woman helps the people of the Appalachian Mountains. She builds a mission from the ground up and helps thousands by providing food, clothing and toys throughout the years. As the mission grew, they provided scholarships and job training. A touching story of how people come together to help others.

As a member of a middle class family, it is sometimes hard to imagine the extreme poverty around the world, especially when we don't experience it in our lives.
I applaud Mr.
Tracy
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good stuff!
Dianne
rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2012
Feb 25, 2012
Gilly
Mar 18, 2012
new book 2 7 Dec 27, 2011 08:32AM
I love writing, literary, and golf. I have 8 grandchildren. One is in New York studying to be an opera singer, one is in engineering, another in pre-law, etc. They have varied interests. I am presently writing a non-fiction book about a drug king-pin who made over $400 million in two years. My interviews with him keep life interesting.

I HAVE A NEW BLOG TO DISCUSS MY EXPERIENCES AS I RESEARCHED FOR