Start by marking “Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)

Cursed (Alex Verus #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  11,966 Ratings  ·  537 Reviews
Benedict Jacka's acclaimed Alex Verus series continues with Cursed.

Since his second sight made him infamous for defeating powerful dark mages, Alex has been keeping his head down. But now he's discovered the resurgence of a forbidden ritual. Someone is harvesting the life-force of magical creatures—destroying them in the process. And draining humans is next on the agenda.
Paperback, USA Edition, 293 pages
Published May 29th 2012 by Ace (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cursed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cursed

Carol.
May 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People looking for Dresden-esque who can overlook blatant sexism
FROM THE POLICE BLOTTER
Subject: Benedict Jacka
Alias: Alex Versus
Location: Cursed
Date: Published 2012, ongoing issues.

Charges:
--Multiple counts of misdemeanor littering explano-dumps.
--One felony charge of plot deus ex machina.
--Multiple felonies committed against women characters, including Class 1 felony of all females equaling damsel-in-distress category, and additional multiple Class 1 felonies of Classic Female Stereotypes.

Consider charging in supernatural courts for crimes against love.
Bradley
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series is rapidly becoming my latest favourite mind-candy, doing wonders to cleanse my palate between heavy tomes of fiction and generally getting me rearing to go. It's entertaining, solidly written, thoroughly character-grounded, and the magic system, while slightly unoriginal, is very fun. Seeing the future is rather beast.

I could probably read all of these in a single sitting, as long as I had all the proper plumbing hooked up. Saline solution, waste ejecta, etc., I'd almost be willing
Phrynne
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second book in a series must be a difficult book to write especially when the first is really, really good. Luckily Benedict Jacka was up to the task and has produced another excellent read.
Alex Verus, our hero and trusty mage, continues to avoid assassination and gets involved in a variety of dangerous situations which he usually escapes by the skin of his teeth. I love the moments when his precognition clicks in just in time for him to dodge a bullet or save his apprentice from an attack.
Emma
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, urban-fantasy
When I read the first book of the series 2 or 3 years ago, I was new to urban fantasy, just setting out on my journey into the genre. I thought the first book was quite good. Then I discovered other urban fantasy series that I liked more. Since then I've read countless urban fantasies. Recently I felt the urge to try this series again. And this second book I loved! Now I've read the Harry Dresden series, I can see the similarities and the differences. And there are enough differences for this no ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As I said in another review today...SCORE!. This week I've finished 3 books that I rate 5 stars! I had trouble making time to get to this one, but burned through it once I got to it. This is a good to great book in a great series with a great character. Alex Verus in definitely my #2 UF character (Harry Dresden being #1 by quite a margin).

There's a thread here called "Books to Read While Waiting for the Next Dresden Book"...I found these recommended there. Seeing Jim Butcher's recommendation of
Cathy
3.5 stars again. It was very much a continuation of the first story, therefore it had a lot of the same strengths and the same negatives. Alex is easy to connect to, his voice is clear and personable and the explanation of his powers makes sense. But I was again disappointed in the female characters. Luna had so much promise in the first book, but she was very young and weak in this one. I can see in a certain way where it makes sense for the story, but it leaves the (surprisingly cool) giant sp ...more
Felicia
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Forgot to review this, but I read all three of these books in a row a few months back and LOVED them. Def check it out if you're an urban fantasy fan. No romance to speak of, but really fun writing!!
Belles
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the first book in the series, but something about this one just didn't resonate with me.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5
Cursed is an improvement to Fated even if it is a bit similar. It takes place five months after the events in the first book. Alex is stronger and better than before. At one point he even acknowledges how dangerous he is unlike in the first book.

The plot: someone is killing magical creatures using an old and forbidden ritual called harvesting and Alex is hired to investigate.

While I really liked Luna in Fated, most of the plot in this book is based on her not being very smart (this is me tr
Scott
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
My new addiction. Have to pace myself or I feel like I'll blow through all the books in a week.

Ami
About five months after the event at British Museum, Alex Verus, has been keeping his head down. However, he sometimes freelancing jobs for the Council. At one of his jobs, Alex discovers someone is draining energy out of magical creatures. It is called Harvesting, of of the blackest of black magic. Alex is then hired by Belthas, one of the Light mages who wants to stop the Dark mages responsible for the Harvesting, to investigate. But when it comes to identifying allies and enemies, Alex must u ...more
Chip
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Same good and bad points as the first book in the series. In sum ... another light and certainly entertaining read. But again inconsistencies and laziness abound. Just a few examples:

The whole Starbreeze deux ex machine.

Why would Dark Magicians have apprentices? Why share knowledge/power?

Claims most mages rarely attack others in their homes, because mages make a habit of fortifying their homes - thus a bad idea to attack. Immediately segues to appearance of the glazier showing up to fix the wind
James
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I think in my review of his last book, I was little overzealous in my adoration and comparison of Jacka and Butcher. Here, I think, Jacka has proven that he can stand on his own two feet and that the last book was not a one shot wonder. So, from now on, I won't mention Butcher again until the end. Anyway, this was a mind blowing Four Stars - the moment it arrived in the post I was all over it, and I barely put it down. For those of you wanting a new block-buster series in this genre, this is it. ...more
John
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five enthusiastic stars. This was even better reading than the first book in the series, and that one was rounded up to five stars (see my review of Fated at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..., which I'll be referring to here). This sequel was not only engrossing but delightful all the way, and the very few problems I had with the first book are absent here.

Once again, the first-person narrative style was very congenial, drawing me into each scene; and whenever it's important to set up a s
Veronica
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
These are short and mostly enjoyable books. I do feel like more could be done as far as fleshing out all the characters. Alex is a likable as far as main characters go but two books in and I still feel like I know hardly anything about him. There have been hints about his past but I really need more. As for the secondary characters, they're little better than cardboard cutouts at this point. Sonder has some potential but I find Luna to be pretty blah.
Steve
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book didn't pick up immediately after the first book of the series, but it very quickly dumped us into the action, while doing a slight bit of explanation for those who weren't clear on who was doing what and how. Through some plot twists, we arrived at a rather brilliant climax, which was rather satisfying. The resolution covered a little bit, but enough to make me glad of what was there.
Valerie
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yep. This is some seriously good urban fantasy. Its a bit like a British Harry Dresden, but then, not really like Dresden at all. There are similarities, but the vibe of the Alex Verus books is completely different. Maybe its the Brit thing. I'm not going to say that this series is equal to the Dresden Files, but then, I've had many more novels upon which to build my relationship with Harry.

What I will say is that this book is very well written. From the well crafted characters to the rock solid
Jean ~ Kindle Queen
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Better than the first book. Still funny, but there were some hard lessons learned. Mr. Jacka explores his really interesting magic system, and the consequences of Alex's magic abilities were very interesting. Plus, this one had quite a few surprises. I definitely plan to continue with this series.
Charlie
This is becoming one-off my favourite UF series, definitely in the top 10.
Roy
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Continues the fun!! Definitely reccomend this series.
Kathy Davie
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Second in the Alex Verus urban fantasy series set in London, Camden Town to be exact, and revolving around a mage who just wants to be left alone.

My Take
Luna makes me nuts. Huh, I guess that means her name is accurate and prophetic… She wants Alex to introduce her to this magical world, but she also refuses to accept anything he says that she doesn't like.

The arrogance of man provides so many possibilities. In this case, Jacka makes use of man's "superiority" to lesser creatures. Animals with m
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Since his second sight made him infamous for defeating powerful dark mages, Alex has been keeping his head down. But now he's discovered the resurgence of a forbidden ritual. Someone is harvesting the life-force of magical creatures—destroying them in the process. And draining humans is next on the agenda. Hired to investigate, Alex realizes that not everyone on the Council wants him delving any deeper. Struggling to distinguish ally from enemy, he finds himself the target of those who
Jeff
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
That difficult second book ... so often a promising first book is followed by a weaker sequel.

I'm pleased to say that's not the case with the second in the Alex Verus series; on the contrary, this is an even more polished book than its predecessor, tighter and not weighed down by the same burden of necessary exposition. It builds nicely upon "Fated", continuing to weave subplots established in the first book around a primary plot that builds well and for the most part concludes satisfactorily. T
Tim The Enchanter
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A much improved 4 Stars

Cursed, the second book in the Alex Verus series, is much improved form the first.

First and most important, the story was much tighter and easier to follow in Cursed. The reader is brought alone with two major storylines at a brisk pace. While I feel the none of the characters have ever been properly introduced, we are starting to gain a small glimpse of who they are and what made them who they are.

Secondly, the MC is less condescending to the female characters in the b
Chris
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Good continuation of the series in which things get complicated as Alex tries to handle an enchantress, a monkey's paw, and mages who are never up front about what they actually want. I'm enjoying these, but they're pretty standard UF fare.
Mark
Brilliant read, really brought the characters forward. If your missing your harry fix then read these.
Margaret
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is a corker. The second book is as good as the first.

Luna is now Alex's unofficial apprentice. Alex is doing jobs for the Light mages on the council. And, naturally, all hell is breaking loose yet again. Someone has perfected a dangerous and forbidden ritual the will remove the magic from others. Magical creatures are the target, putting Alex's friend Arachne in grave danger. Add the monkey's paw to the mix and you've got one hell of a brilliant story.

Alex, Luna, Sonder, and Cinder a
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 4/27/18: Another fun installment to the series! Still nothing about it that's really wowing me but these books are a lot of fun! They're almost like... fantasy cozy mysteries, but not as fluffy as a cozy, if that makes sense. It gives me the same sort of feel that the O'Hare & Fox series (Evanovich/Goldberg) does but in a fantasy realm. They're definitely fun to listen to while I'm working and I enjoyed CURSED just as much as FATED, if not more. Easy to binge and I loved ...more
reea
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Újabb varázslények, mágusok, varázslatok és harcok várnak hősünkre, aki nem is annyira lelkes a rengeteg lehetőségtől. Bár az is igaz, némileg maga megy a pofon elé. Ahogy arra számítottam, Curesd hozta a kötelezőt, jóllehet a sztori némileg kiszámítható, de cserében olyan karaktereket, és velük történő szituációkat kapunk, ami egyszerűen mindenért kárpótol.

Zehavit
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still fun and definitely Camden. That is all.
Vampires, Weres a...: Cursed (Alex Verus #2) 36 23 May 31, 2018 05:24PM
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
  • Born of Hatred (Hellequin Chronicles, #2)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2)
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)

Alex Verus (9 books)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Marked (Alex Verus, #9)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“I don’t sell spells, and I don’t sell tricks. I don’t carry illusions or marked cards or weighted coins. I cannot sell you an endless purse or help you win the lottery. I can’t make that girl you’ve got your eye on fall in love with you, and I wouldn’t do it even if I could. I don’t have a psychic hotline to your dead relatives, I don’t know if you’re going to be successful in your career, and I don’t know when you’re going to get married. I can’t get you into Hogwarts or any other kind of magic school, and if you even mention those stupid sparkly vampires I will do something unpleasant to you.” 14 likes
“As I walked, I started making a list of everyone in the mage world whom I’d opposed, fought with, or otherwise irritated. After I ran out of fingers to count on I decided to limit the number to people I’d pissed off relatively recently.” 4 likes