Start by marking “Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)

Cursed

(Alex Verus #2)

Benedict Jacka's acclaimed Alex Verus series continues with Cursed.

Since his second sight made him infamous for defeating powerful dark mages, Alex has been keeping his head down. But now he'sdiscovered the resurgence of a forbidden ritual. Someone is harvesting the life-force of magical creatures—destroying them in the process. And draining humans is next on the agenda.
Paperback, USA Edition, 293 pages
Published May 29th 2012 by Ace (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cursed, please sign up.
Jamie Revell I'd say that, while it is a separate story, it continues a number of threads from the previous book, so, while it would be easier coming in here than…moreI'd say that, while it is a separate story, it continues a number of threads from the previous book, so, while it would be easier coming in here than it would in later books in the series, if you're going to read both it would be better to do so in order.(less)

Start your review of Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
carol.
May 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People looking for Dresden-esque who can overlook blatant sexism
FROM THE POLICE BLOTTER
Subject: Benedict Jacka
Alias: Alex Versus
Location: Cursed
Date: Published 2012, ongoing issues.

Charges:
--Multiple counts of misdemeanor littering explano-dumps.
--One felony charge of plot deus ex machina.
--Multiple felonies committed against women characters, including Class 1 felony of all females equaling damsel-in-distress category, and additional multiple Class 1 felonies of Classic Female Stereotypes.

Consider charging in supernatural courts for crimes against
Bradley
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series is rapidly becoming my latest favourite mind-candy, doing wonders to cleanse my palate between heavy tomes of fiction and generally getting me rearing to go. It's entertaining, solidly written, thoroughly character-grounded, and the magic system, while slightly unoriginal, is very fun. Seeing the future is rather beast.

I could probably read all of these in a single sitting, as long as I had all the proper plumbing hooked up. Saline solution, waste ejecta, etc., I'd almost be willing
Phrynne
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second book in a series must be a difficult book to write especially when the first is really, really good. Luckily Benedict Jacka was up to the task and has produced another excellent read.
Alex Verus, our hero and trusty mage, continues to avoid assassination and gets involved in a variety of dangerous situations which he usually escapes by the skin of his teeth. I love the moments when his precognition clicks in just in time for him to dodge a bullet or save his apprentice from an attack.
Robin (Bridge Four)
“Congrats, you’ve just had your first assassination attempt.”

It is just another day in the life of Alex Verus, diviner extraordinaire.

Cursed picks up a few months after Fated. Alex has picked up a semi apprentice in Luna and some notoriety in the magic community after the events at the museum. He has also picked up a few enemies on both the Light and Dark side of Magery.
Emma
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, urban-fantasy
When I read the first book of the series 2 or 3 years ago, I was new to urban fantasy, just setting out on my journey into the genre. I thought the first book was quite good. Then I discovered other urban fantasy series that I liked more. Since then I've read countless urban fantasies. Recently I felt the urge to try this series again. And this second book I loved! Now I've read the Harry Dresden series, I can see the similarities and the differences. And there are enough differences for this ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this book even better than the first installment. I think that the biggest difference was that I was already familiar with the characters and the rules of the world instead when I started this one. It was really easy to slip back into Alex's world and I was really curious about how everything would work out. This was a book that I wanted to listen to for hours at a time so I finished it up pretty quickly.

This book picks up
Felicia
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Forgot to review this, but I read all three of these books in a row a few months back and LOVED them. Def check it out if you're an urban fantasy fan. No romance to speak of, but really fun writing!!
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As I said in another review today...SCORE!. This week I've finished 3 books that I rate 5 stars! I had trouble making time to get to this one, but burned through it once I got to it. This is a good to great book in a great series with a great character. Alex Verus in definitely my #2 UF character (Harry Dresden being #1 by quite a margin).

There's a thread here called "Books to Read While Waiting for the Next Dresden Book"...I found these recommended there. Seeing Jim Butcher's recommendation of
Cathy
3.5 stars again. It was very much a continuation of the first story, therefore it had a lot of the same strengths and the same negatives. Alex is easy to connect to, his voice is clear and personable and the explanation of his powers makes sense. But I was again disappointed in the female characters. Luna had so much promise in the first book, but she was very young and weak in this one. I can see in a certain way where it makes sense for the story, but it leaves the (surprisingly cool) giant ...more
Eric
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Cursed picks up where the first book left off and continued the fun started in book one.

Fresh off his success against the dark mages from the first book, Alex is grudgingly becoming more involved with the Council. As part of a mission, he comes across what appears to be a ritual designed to drain the life from magical creatures. Once again, he is reluctantly drawn into a struggle between mages looking for power at any cost.

Cursed followed the same general format as the first book. The
Krystal
I did enjoy this one, though not as much as the first and not enough to rush out and buy the next one. I'd love to re-read this and the first and then continue on but it was a while ago I read this one and it hasn't reeled me back in at all. I think there's a fair few in the series now though?

I do like the characters though as they're a little cheekier and there's some great action sequences to keep the book entertaining.
Belles
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: z2018
I liked the first book in the series, but something about this one just didn't resonate with me.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5
Cursed is an improvement to Fated even if it is a bit similar. It takes place five months after the events in the first book. Alex is stronger and better than before. At one point he even acknowledges how dangerous he is unlike in the first book.

The plot: someone is killing magical creatures using an old and forbidden ritual called harvesting and Alex is hired to investigate.

While I really liked Luna in Fated, most of the plot in this book is based on her not being very smart (this is me
Ami
About five months after the event at British Museum, Alex Verus, has been keeping his head down. However, he sometimes freelancing jobs for the Council. At one of his jobs, Alex discovers someone is draining energy out of magical creatures. It is called Harvesting, of of the blackest of black magic. Alex is then hired by Belthas, one of the Light mages who wants to stop the Dark mages responsible for the Harvesting, to investigate. But when it comes to identifying allies and enemies, Alex must ...more
Scott
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
My new addiction. Have to pace myself or I feel like I'll blow through all the books in a week.

Chip
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Same good and bad points as the first book in the series. In sum ... another light and certainly entertaining read. But again inconsistencies and laziness abound. Just a few examples:

The whole Starbreeze deux ex machine.

Why would Dark Magicians have apprentices? Why share knowledge/power?

Claims most mages rarely attack others in their homes, because mages make a habit of fortifying their homes - thus a bad idea to attack. Immediately segues to appearance of the glazier showing up to fix the
The Abibliophobic  Guy
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I think in my review of his last book, I was little overzealous in my adoration and comparison of Jacka and Butcher. Here, I think, Jacka has proven that he can stand on his own two feet and that the last book was not a one shot wonder. So, from now on, I won't mention Butcher again until the end. Anyway, this was a mind blowing Four Stars - the moment it arrived in the post I was all over it, and I barely put it down. For those of you wanting a new block-buster series in this genre, this is it. ...more
Kathy Davie
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Second in the Alex Verus urban fantasy series set in London, Camden Town to be exact, and revolving around a mage who just wants to be left alone.

My Take
Luna makes me nuts. Huh, I guess that means her name is accurate and prophetic… She wants Alex to introduce her to this magical world, but she also refuses to accept anything he says that she doesn't like.

The arrogance of man provides so many possibilities. In this case, Jacka makes use of man's "superiority" to lesser creatures. Animals with
☕️Kimberly
Cursed takes place shortly after Fated, and Alex is enjoying or not, a bit of notoriety from the events that occurred. A friend of Luna’s takes something dangerous from his shop. A woman comes in seeking help, and something tries to kill them. Someone or something is killing magical creatures. Before you know it, Alex ends up in the thick of things. I’ve got my headphones and I am ready to help solve the case.

Despite the fast-pace and intense action scenes, Jacka allowed us to get to know the
Valerie
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yep. This is some seriously good urban fantasy. Its a bit like a British Harry Dresden, but then, not really like Dresden at all. There are similarities, but the vibe of the Alex Verus books is completely different. Maybe its the Brit thing. I'm not going to say that this series is equal to the Dresden Files, but then, I've had many more novels upon which to build my relationship with Harry.

What I will say is that this book is very well written. From the well crafted characters to the rock solid
Jean ~ Kindle Queen
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Better than the first book. Still funny, but there were some hard lessons learned. Mr. Jacka explores his really interesting magic system, and the consequences of Alex's magic abilities were very interesting. Plus, this one had quite a few surprises. I definitely plan to continue with this series.
Charlie
This is becoming one-off my favourite UF series, definitely in the top 10.
Mark
Brilliant read, really brought the characters forward. If your missing your harry fix then read these.
John
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five enthusiastic stars. This was even better reading than the first book in the series, and that one was rounded up to five stars (see my review of Fated at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..., which I'll be referring to here). This sequel was not only engrossing but delightful all the way, and the very few problems I had with the first book are absent here.

Once again, the first-person narrative style was very congenial, drawing me into each scene; and whenever it's important to set up a
Baal Of
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pizza
Alright, I'm a fan. This book was an absolute blast, and ranks up there with some of the best urban fantasy I've read, including the Dresden Files. The characters are excellent, with plenty of flaws, and all the tense, temporary alliances make for great plot hooks. The battles between the mages are brutal and vivid, and the balance between the action, and the downtime is handled just right. I really like how the mages are locked into a very narrow set of abilities, and Verus's power is ...more
Veronica
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
These are short and mostly enjoyable books. I do feel like more could be done as far as fleshing out all the characters. Alex is a likable as far as main characters go but two books in and I still feel like I know hardly anything about him. There have been hints about his past but I really need more. As for the secondary characters, they're little better than cardboard cutouts at this point. Sonder has some potential but I find Luna to be pretty blah.
Steve
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book didn't pick up immediately after the first book of the series, but it very quickly dumped us into the action, while doing a slight bit of explanation for those who weren't clear on who was doing what and how. Through some plot twists, we arrived at a rather brilliant climax, which was rather satisfying. The resolution covered a little bit, but enough to make me glad of what was there.
Roy
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Continues the fun!! Definitely reccomend this series.
Bryan Brown
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
This book is better than two stars but less than three, so two it gets.

My major issue with this book is the character of the enchantress Verus becomes involved with. I'm not a critical enough reader to say exactly what was wrong but it never seemed to work for me. I never thought either her actions or Verus' actions and thoughts were quite believable and so it left me feeling a nebulous sense of frustration every time she came up in the book.

The book still focuses around the same characters as
N.E.C.C.
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was good, better than Fated.
Cursed is definitely better than Fated but at the same time is very similar in terms of the plot. Still, very interesting in this world.

I liked the story but it didn't blow my wig. It's and improvement from the privous book for sure and i'm very interesting in this series, this books are easy to read and bery entertaining.

The characters were really good except for Luna, i didn't like her in this one either, she makes a lot of stupid decisions and is annoying
Vampires, Weres a...: Cursed (Alex Verus #2) 36 26 May 31, 2018 05:24PM

• Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Daring (Pax Arcana, #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
  • The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)

Alex Verus (10 books)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Marked (Alex Verus, #9)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
“I don’t sell spells, and I don’t sell tricks. I don’t carry illusions or marked cards or weighted coins. I cannot sell you an endless purse or help you win the lottery. I can’t make that girl you’ve got your eye on fall in love with you, and I wouldn’t do it even if I could. I don’t have a psychic hotline to your dead relatives, I don’t know if you’re going to be successful in your career, and I don’t know when you’re going to get married. I can’t get you into Hogwarts or any other kind of magic school, and if you even mention those stupid sparkly vampires I will do something unpleasant to you.” 17 likes
“As I walked, I started making a list of everyone in the mage world whom I’d opposed, fought with, or otherwise irritated. After I ran out of fingers to count on I decided to limit the number to people I’d pissed off relatively recently.” 6 likes