Start by marking “Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #2)

Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2

(The Parasol Protectorate Manga #2)

Settling into her new life as the Lady Woolsey, Alexia finds her days quite challenging. Whether it is a regiment of supernatural soldiers camped out on her front lawn or the demands of being the Queen’s “muhjah,” there never seems to be a want of new hurdles to overcome. But when stories of supernaturals rendered normal by some unknown force begin cropping up, Alexia has ...more
Published November 20th 2012 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about Soulless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soulless

Start your review of Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #2)
Lola
Dec 11, 2016 added it
Shelves: manga
I’m so sad the entirety of the Soulless series was not adapted into a manga.

Because Lady Maccon’s adventures are terrific. Granted, people are always trying to kill her, but then you can’t have so much power and no enemies.

In this volume, something catastrophic is happening. Supernatural creatures lose their *supernaturality* without any explanation.

So Lady Maccon sets off to Scotland to learn more about the problem at hand and possibly fix it.

I missed Lord Maccon in th
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Steampunk, werewolves, vampires, mummies, betrayal.

I loved meeting Sidheag!

Something that always bugs me a little about the wider universe is Sigheag and Lefoux apparently not recognising each other - in my head I imagine that they're trying to keep the finishing school a secret.
Lisa Wolf
I'm not a big fan of manga, but I am a big fan of The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, so I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to read the manga version of Changeless (which in this case is simply called Soulless, volume 2). The manga editions of Soulless and Changeless are cute and entertaining, and it's fun to see the depictions of Lord Maccon, Ivy Hisselpenny, Lord Akeldama, and the rest of the cast of characters. These books are no replacement for reading the original novels, ...more
Lauren
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am loving this series!!

Volume 2 focuses more on Lady Maccon and her role as the Queen's Muhjah. She takes a trip to Scotland, to where her handsome husband Lord Maccon has gone on a business trip involving his werewolf pack. Here, we meet his extended family including his great x6 grandaughter, Lady Kingair.

The plot is a little more complex this time and involves a spy who is actually very close to Lady Maccon.

We also meet Madame Lefoux who is an androgynous character and I must say very ea
Sanaa
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
[5 Stars] I can't believe there are only three volumes! I wish the rest of the series had been adapted into manga format as well. Anywho, this was lovely, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the third!
Sheila Beaumont
I'm loving this manga adaptation of Gail Carriger's "Parasol Protectorate" series. Both the storytelling and the art are outstanding. It's amazing how well the artist depicts these characters. In the first volume, I especially liked Alexia, Lord Conall Maccon, Alkedama, and Professor Lyall. In the second, it was a pleasure to meet Madame Lefoux and Sidheag, both portrayed just perfectly. Now I'm ready for Volume 3, which it seems is the last one, leaving Books 4 and 5 unadapted.
Amber J
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Another great manga. I love revisiting one of my favorite series and being about to see faces to the characters. 2 down and 1 to go. It really is to bad they didn't finish the series though. It would have been great to see all the book done as a graphic novel adaption.

Liz
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Meh. Bit trivial, if you ask me. But the art is gorgeous (though the boobs are, as quite often in mangas, unrealistically huge and perfect).
Rayne
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
I adore the first volume in the manga adaptations of The Parasol Protectorate. True, the plot had to be condensed, some developments had to be forgone, and Alexia's personality didn't translate perfectly into the format, but they did a fairly good job at adapting it and the art was absolutely gorgeous. The second volume had the same problems but they were a lot clearer here: they tried to simplify the story far too much and it came off as convoluted and slightly erratic, they reduced Alexia and ...more
Talia
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
As always, Gail Carriger delivers a whopping good story. This is actually "Changeless," the second book in her Parasol Protectorate series. In this book, Alexia and Conall Maccon have traveled to Scotland to investigate what has suddenly caused supernaturals to remain human and lose their abilities.

During their adventures, they meet the inimitable Madam Lefoux - a French inventor with an eye for the ladies who isn't all she seems.

When they arrive in Scotland, Connal is fo
Nico

Lord Maccon you COMPLETE BLITHERING IDIOT! How can you honestly believe she cheated on you? How?!? And why are you so unbelievably rash?? OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO STUPID AND THIS SERIES HAS GOTTEN ME ALL BOTHERED and why are you so FREAKING DUMB. Like how did cheating ever enter your mind - it took me like 4 more panels to understand that's what you thought because it just makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. SERIOUSLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOU IMPULSIVE LUDICROUS EMPTY BRAINED FOOLISH MORON!

*sniff*

Hm. Well. Almost got flustered t
Rachel
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this in a few hours the day after I finally picked it up from the library hold shelf. Although I loved the actual Parasol Protectorate book series, the manga almost makes it just a little bit more awesome. For those who haven't read the books, this is book two in the series, called "Changeless". It's weird because this wasn't my favorite book, but the manga was better. I especially liked Madame Lefoux and Ivy, although I think they both looked a bit different than how I imagined them. The ...more
Laurel
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Many of the Urban Fantasy Graphic Novel interpretations I have read of late have been rubbish! They have offered none of the substance and depth that the original novels held. Thankfully, these manga works have such heart and whimsy - exactly capturing the tone of why we all love the Parasol Protectorate series. A great and fun read!
Lily Sand
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This are getting better and better! I do believe I'll look for the books now. This is is even better than the first! Go read it!!
Kate
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
This 2nd book in the series was by far my favorite and the graphic novel version was equally awesome.
David
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Manga adaptation of Changless, the second book in the Parasol Protectorate series. In this chapter, something is causing vampires and werewolves to lose their powers. Conall has gone to Scotland to attend to unfinished business. Alexia tries to get to the bottom of the "plague" afflicting the supernatural population and takes a memorable dirigible flight to Scotland. As with the first book, Carriger's work adapts well to manga format and is enhanced by the illustrations. Although I'm not crazy a ...more
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gail Carriger and Rem's second installment, Soulless: The Manga Vol 2 was just as delightful as the first! Based off of Changeless, the second novel in the Parasol Protectorate series, Alexia is getting used to married life, but being married to an alpha werewolf is not all that easy. Especially when problems with the werewolves start to occur and they are unable to shift. It'll be up to Alexia to try to figure out what has happened.

Another delightful tale shortened into a graphic no
Dark Matter
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
This review was written by Nalini Haynes for Dark Matter Zine. This and more reviews, interviews etc are on Dark Matter Zine, an online magazine. http://www.darkmatterzine.com.

Soulless 2 of the manga series is the second of the Parasol Protectorate series written by Gail Carriger converted into manga by REM; the original novel is Changeless. Just in case you missed my review of the original novel, it’s here.

Soulless 2 begins after Alexia Tarabotti and Conall Maccon are married. Alexia has had the opportunity to
Shelly_lr
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The person adapting the books to manga has done a marvelous job, and the artist continues lovely expressive work that has made me fall in love with her style. (and... I just found they were the same person! I must find more of her work.)

What I most adored about this volume is that she softened the end slightly while still staying true to the book and made it believable. Because what Carriger did to the hero here felt, well, out of character- he didn't act true to himself the way she'
Louise
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second manga edition of Soulless features the same great artwork and characters as the first, and is thoroughly enjoyable. I found the plot of the story slightly more 'rambling' and less easy to follow, and at times the central plot line seems to almost be forgotten.

As with the first volume, I'm sure fans of the book would disagree but having not read them I really didn't feel like I was missing anything by reading the manga version. The illustrations convey the characters' pers
Selena
I have decided that the preternatural is a reverse ditto. Instead of turning into other things, preternaturals make everything else like them (human).

This volume sees all the vampires and werewolves losing their vampire- and wolfy-ness. It's up to Alexia, the new Muhjah, to find out why. While someone's trying to kill her. And her lesbian/inventer new-best-friend. And she's not feeling great to boot.

If you liked the first one, you'll probably like the second as well, but
Hope
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a manga adaptation of Changeless, the second book in Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. I love that series, and I really enjoy the manga. The depictions of the characters are great - I just wish the entire thing could be in full color, like the first few pages!

My only criticism is that there were a few places where the action jumped around and it became hard to follow what was going on, if you hadn't read the book. I am not sure this is really a problem with this particular adaptation as much
Nicole
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Second volume in the series and follows the second book in the Parasol Protectorate. Once again, I really enjoyed this. The art is simply lovely and although I don't believe I finished Changeless for some reason, I found the manga to be easy to follow and did a wonderful job of getting the story through. Now I can't wait for the third volume.

And it also has me wanting to read the books again. I was iffy on the first book and set down the second halfway through, but now I want to go b
Lisa
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This 2nd book in the graphic novel series represents "Changeless." I really, really liked the art in this one! Madame LeFoux was much, much sexier than I imagined in the novel, but oh well -- it was pretty much an awesome read! The back cover is a bit racy (well, so is Alexia), and I felt like I had to hide the pages every once in a while on the airplane, but I can be a prude.

For the story, I only wish that Lord Maccon's niece's transformation to a wolf took longer and had more art with that ex
Jenni
Ms Alexia Tarabotti, or Lady Woolsey that she goes by now since she married Lord Maccon, the werewolf is back! Volume 2 covers the second book, Changeless, and fell in love with this manga once again. I loved how the manga showed us the funny side of the story and I think the story line became more interesting and alive in manga format. That's why I prefer this version more than the written one.

Gorgeous illustrations as always! Great job!
Kris
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
These manga versions are fun, and a nice diversion for those who have read the series and don't want to leave the story. But I think that if you haven't read the novels first, these could be a bit confusing. I highly recommend the novels, and then if you want another foray into the stories then the manga can be fun. But I don't think they can stand alone.

Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this volume. The art is awesome and I love how the action sequences are depicted. Gail Carriger is an excellent storyteller and I can't wait to read the third and final volume in this Manga series and I will definitely continue to read the Parasol Protectorate novels, I love the Manga series, but I do miss the descriptiveness of the novel.
Verity W
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
So the original novels are clearly my favourite, but these Mangas are a lot of fun too. Sure the story is simplified down a bit, but they're still clever and witty and fun. I want to read Vol3 - and I know it's going to end up in me going back to re-read the whole series of novels.
Jennavier
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
While it was still really fun, I didn't feel like the story of the original book translated as well. With my foggy memory of the events I was still able to navigate things but I don't think a reader who hadn't read them would have. Overall it was a lot of fun and set things up for the next book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams (Girl Genius, #4)
  • Moon Called, Volume 1: Issues #1-4 (Mercy Thompson Graphic Novel)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • Emma, Vol. 04
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 2  (Library Wars: Love & War #2)
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 2
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

The Parasol Protectorate Manga (3 books)
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #1)
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 3 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga, #3)