Start by marking “Poetics” as Want to Read:
Poetics

Poetics

‘The plot is the source and the soul of tragedy’

In his near-contemporary account of Greek tragedy, Aristotle examines the dramatic elements of plot, character, language and spectacle that combine to produce pity and fear in the audience, and asks why we derive pleasure from this apparently painful process. Taking examples from the plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripide
Published September 26th 1996 by Penguin Classics (first published -335)

Being and Time by Martin HeideggerThe Republic by PlatoKant by Immanuel KantThus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich NietzscheHegel's Phenomenology of Spirit by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Best Philosophy Book
895 books — 1,331 voters
The Republic by PlatoKant by Immanuel KantThe Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliBeing and Time by Martin HeideggerMetaphysics by Aristotle
Knowledge
193 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

Glenn Russell
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

During the golden age of ancient Greece bards roamed the countryside mesmerizing crowds by reciting the epics of Homer. Thousands of men and women gathered and were moved to tears by tragedies performed outside in amphitheaters during sacred festivals. Such an amazingly powerful and profound experience for an entire population. What was going on here; why were people so deeply affected? Well, one of the sharpest, most analytic minds in the history of the West set himself the task of answering ju
Lisa
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I just reluctantly gave my copy of Aristotle's Poetics to my son, who recently discovered drama. It is earmarked and highlighted and it guided me through university, telling me what I needed to know about tragedy and its core elements, such as unity of time, place and action.

The reason we started talking about drama was that my son didn't particularly like Emilia Galotti, Lessing's "Bürgerliche Tragödie", and we talked about the strange code of honour that made a father kill his daughter to save
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
It’s odd that the most ancient essay on literary criticism is one of the easiest to understand. It is so accessible. If you compare this to works by Nietzsche, Hegel and Freud the extremities of this can easily be seen. Aristotle explains his theory in the most basic language possible with no artful language that distances the reader from it. It is completely comprehensive and virtually impossible not to understand. Aristotle was an advocate of presenting his arguments in the most simplest of la ...more
Bill  Kerwin
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing

If you want to learn about tragedy--or narrative in general--this is still the best place to start.
Trevor
Dec 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
This is perhaps my favourite philosopher of the Ancient world chatting about literary criticism – it doesn’t really get too much better than this. Plato, of course, wanted to banish all of the artists from his ideal republic. He wanted to do this because the world we live in is a poor copy of the ‘real’ world and so art is but a copy of a copy. Rather than bring us closer to the truth, Plato believed that art took us further away.

It can’t have been easy for Aristotle, Plato’s student, to disagre
Ahmad Sharabiani
Περὶ ποιητικῆς = Aristotelis de arte poetica liber = Poetics, Aristotle
Aristotle's Poetics (De Poetica; c. 335 BC) is the earliest surviving work of dramatic theory and first extant philosophical treatise to focus on literary theory in the West. This has been the traditional view for centuries.
عنوان: فن شعر؛ اثر: ارسطو؛ مترجم: عبدالحسین زرین کوب؛ تهران، بنگاه نشر و ترجمه، چاپ دوم 1343، در 245 ص؛ کتابنامه دارد؛ چاپ سوم 1353؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، امیرکبیر، 1369، در 220 ص، چاپ سوم 1381، چاپ چهارم 1382
Luís C.
One of the most "accessible" works of the great philosopher, in Poetics - defined as imitation - after having repudiated comedy ("... comedy, as we have already said, is an imitation of what is worse (than reality), and not in any kind of vice, but rather an imitation of what is ugly, part of which is ridiculous ... "), he sings to us the praises of tragedy:
this one, integrated in the unit of action (it is interesting that the other two units are timid, if not absent) aims to trigger in the soul
Riku Sayuj

This is the best commentary I could find on The Poetics. Bywater's is a much better translation and immensely readable, except for the places where he employs the Greek without transliteration. A good strategy could be to keep to Bywater for a first read, and then use Whalley's idiosyncratic and 'deliberately clumsy' translation while studying his notes. We can even supplement it with the Lucas notes.

The best essay length criticism can be had from Lucas and Else, both of which are referred to of
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، این کتابِ کهن، از 26 بخشِ گوناگون تشکیل شده است که در هر بخش، ارسطو به توضیح و شرحِ انواعِ شعر و داستان سرایی در آن دوران پرداخته است
به انتخاب در زیر بخش هایی از این کتاب را برایِ شما ادب دوستانِ گرامی مینویسم
---------------------------------------------
شکی نیست که اثرِ شاعر از آن چیزی که اتفاق افتاده است، بحث نمیکند.. بلکه از آن چیزی سخن میگوید که وقوعِ آن بر حسبِ ضرورت یا حقیقت نمایی، امکان دارد... یعنی فرقِ شاعر و مورخ در این نیست که اولی گفته اش منظوم باشد و دومی منثور.. بلک
Mohammad Ranjbari
افلاطون موتور محرک اندیشه های ارسطو بود. از آن جایی که هیچ اندیشمندی در جهان وجود ندارد که دچار اشتباه نشده باشد، ارسطو نیز در فن شعر از اشتباهات محاسباتی به دور نبوده است. نظام اخلاقی افلاطون، باعث طرد و تحریم برخی از شاخه های هنر و ادبیات گردید. در بخشی از این تعصبات افلاطون حق داشت و در بخشی دیگر شاعران و ادبا. اما در کل چنین دیدگاهی باعث تنزیه و کمرنگ شدن و محتاط تر بودن ادبیات شد. در برخی از بخش های رسالۀ فن شعر ارسطو، مشابه چنین دیدگاه و طرز برخوردی را مشاهده می کنیم.

شعر غنایی:
اجحافی که
J.G. Keely
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lit-crit, non-fiction
There's something terribly edifying when, having created your own rubric for how books should be judged, you happen to pick up the work from which all literary criticism arose and find that you and Aristotle have independently produced the same system for judgment. I know it probably just trickled down to me through cultural osmosis, but it does give me hope that I'm putting the pieces together properly.
Edward

--From Plato, Republic, Books 2, 3, and 10
--Aristotle, Poetics
--From Sir Philip Sidney, An Apology for Poetry
--From P. B. Shelley, A Defence of Poetry
--From D. L. Sayers, 'Aristotle on Detective Fiction'

A Note on Metre
Explanatory Notes
Glossary of Key Terms
Index
Davide
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letto analiticamente, prendendo fitti appunti, nell'estate del 2004 (vaghi ricordi di una terrazza non lontana dal mare e altri ricordi che non voglio ricordare), poi riletto continuamente.

Ne derivano sempre suggerimenti e curiosità.

Come tutti voi sapete, la poesia [oggi leggi: letteratura] è più filosofica della storia.
Perché la storia tratta del vero, la poesia del verosimile. E quindi la poesia si occupa dell’universale, mentre la storia racconta i particolari. Appartiene all’universale il f
Mahdi Lotfabadi
تنها چیزی که بهش فکر میکنم اینه که ارسطو 2 هزار و پونصد سال پیش به چه گفتمانهایی رسیده بوده... واقعاً جالبه! ...more
Jo
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, non-fiction
Poetics is the earliest known work of literary criticism. This copy was laid out in lecture note form. Aristotle gives his views on tragedy, the plot, the characters and the content, and then it is compared to epic poetry. Content wise, I think this book is great, but it was just so very boring! I found the parts with the ancient Greek language particularly difficult to read and analyse.
david
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is truly astounding, humbling, and semi-surreal to think that after so many years, the continuously strolling and pondering Greek philosopher, Aristotle, is vital and relevant, hundreds of thousands of days after his passing.

To any who claim social progress and technology has changed the world, well I am not so sure.

It appears, time and again, all who we were, are, and will continue to be, is exponentially less significant than we may think.

And it is a wonderful book for playwrights and poets
Fabian
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Here is a rudimentary tablet of knowledge by one of the greats. First off, it is somewhat incredible to concede the year that this was written, and that almost 2,400 years later we are still eager to explore poetics that are in this aged article so clearly defined.

Aristotle exalts the poet and holds him in the highest esteem. Similarly, I have come to the conclusion that the novelist of literature is the truest of artists, imitating what he sees and ‘painting’ things as how they are, telling it
Teresa
Como obra de estudo é preciosa; como entretenimento não é muito indicada. Porque já estou numa idade em que me interessa mais a diversão que o conhecimento, não me esforcei para a compreender; a partir de metade desisti de ler as abundantes notas de rodapé e desperdicei a oportunidade de apreciar um livro que se mantém vivo há mais de dois mil anos.
Rakhi Dalal
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Been reading this again. Aristotle's take on woman Even a woman
may be good, and also a slave; though the woman may be said to be an inferior being, and the slave quite worthless
, reminds me of something similar being said by Krishna in the Bhagwadgita..

I am inclined to reduce the rating here, but will probably do that with a full review.
bup
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008, audiobook, librivox
Well, I tell you what.

Did you ever see "Dead Poet's Society"? You know that scene where it's the first day of school and Robin Williams has them read that essay out loud, with all sorts of formulae and things for analyzing poetry - where Robin Williams graphs a formula on the board: PxI=G ?

Remember that?

That's the feeling I got with this. It seems to miss the forest for the trees.

OK, it's an analysis of drama and epic poetry. But to what end? Aristotle apparently felt it would be prescriptive to
Alina Cătărău
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poetica (Περὶ ποιητικῆς) face parte din categoria operelor aristotelice care se adresează în principal celor care studiază literatură și teatru. Se presupune că această lucrare ar fi fost scrisă în jurul anului 335 Î. Hr. și corespunde primilor ani ai învățământului atenian, dar și perioadei în care tragedia greacă nu mai era jucată, fiind înlocuită de comedie. Faimosul tratat este alcătuit din două cărți: Cartea I este închinată „ramurii nobile a poeziei”, adică epopeii și tragediei, iar Cartea ...more
Mohamad Yoosofi
ظاهراً ارسطو نخستین نظریهپرداز شعر بوده است. البته پیش از او افلاطون دیدگاههایی درباب ادبیات مطرح کرده بوده؛ اما رسالهای مستقل دراینباره ننوشته و از آن رو که رویکرد او به ادبیات، رویکردی نفیکننده بوده است، نمیتوان او را نظریهپرداز این مقوله خواند. ارسطو برپایهی آنچه از ادبیات و شاعری در زمانهی خودش برداشت میکرده، انواع شعر را در سه دسته میگنجاند: حماسه و تراژدی و کمدی. از این سه دسته، کمدی را فرودستترین و تراژدی را متعالیترین گونهی شعری میشمارد؛ چراکه کمدی غالباً برمبنای مسخرگی است و اندیشهی عمی ...more
Genni
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Whew. I made it through my first work by Aristotle. If all of his works are written like this, then I don't think it's going to be that bad. My perception was that he was extremely difficult. But just from this work alone, it seems he is just very thorough. A very precise thinker. So if he deals with difficult material, he will do so in such a way that is very clear, and not convoluted. At least, that is the impression so far...

The following example stuck out to me. Let it not be said that Arist
João Fernandes
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Despite the importance this book holds as the first attempt at a guide to art and dramatic critic, I think most of Aristotle's points aren't particularly accurate in the current age.

Fortunately for all of us, Art has evolved past form. The passing of time has allowed artists, from dramatists to writers, to break the conventions of past eras.

So no, Aristotle, comedy is no longer about "inferior people" and tragedy about "great people". Nor is Art very logically constructed.

By all means, read th
Brian
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Aristotle examines specific story forms like an ancient doctor analyzing the construction of the human body. He has great advice, and the relevancy to the modern works I've read surprised me.
Corey
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vonnegut said that this little essay was all any novelist needed to know and I won't argue with Kurt.
zeynab
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's hard to believe that this formalist approach to literature was actually written in ancient times. also most of his ideas are not accepted in modern literary criticism but nobody can deny the role which Aristotle played in history of literature and criticism. He really tries to define form and structure of literature, different genres, the laws which literary pieces should be written based on. and though it has not been mentioned in the book but it is clearly a critical response to Plato's a ...more
Alina Cătărău
I'm glad that I have finally read Aristotle's Poetics because it is an important essay on writing and performing - actually it's one of the earliest works on literary theory, creative writing and theatre - which shouldn't be read only by actors and those who study literature, but by anyone who considers oneself to be an artist. Besides the wide space dedicated to tragedy and the epic poetry, the Greek philosopher also inserts elements belonging to other arts, such as music and painting.
I'm very
M.L. Rio
Every writer should read this, because a lot Aristotle's rules for good writing are still on point after 2,300 years.
Goodreads Librari...: Fix author's name + combine edition 3 15 Feb 02, 2019 02:55PM
Goodreads Librari...: need merging 2 22 Apr 13, 2016 09:07AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct these data 4 26 Oct 27, 2013 06:43AM
Brain Pain: Aristotle - Poetics - Discussion 1 47 Nov 26, 2011 10:29AM
  • On Great Writing (On the Sublime)
  • Arte poética
  • Phaedrus
  • Anatomy of Criticism
  • German Ideology
  • Laocoon: An Essay on the Limits of Painting and Poetry
  • A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful
  • The Critique of Aesthetic Judgement (Critique of Judgement 1)
  • Poetry, Language, Thought
(Arabic: أرسطوطاليس)
(Bulgarian: Аристотел)
(Russian: Аристотель)
(Ukrainian: Арістотель)
(Alternate European spelling: Aristoteles)

Aristotle (384–322 B.C.) numbers among the greatest philosophers of all time. Judged solely in terms of his philosophical influence, only Plato is his peer: Aristotle's works shaped centuries of philosophy from Late Antiquity through the Renaissance,
“Comedy aims at representing men as worse, Tragedy as better than in actual life.” 122 likes
“With respect to the requirement of art, the probable impossible is always preferable to the improbable possible.” 52 likes