Start by marking “The First Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
The First Thanksgiving

The First Thanksgiving

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Illus. in full color. The story of the Pilgrims is vividly retold in simple language for beginning readers.
Published September 12th 1990 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The First Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Thanksgiving

Leslie
The First Thanksgiving by Linda Hayward with it's soft,warm color illustrations by James Watling could very well be a child's first real look into the history of the that first Thanksgiving. Here we do not a cutesy baby-ish version of events, but an older, more thoughful child's first entry into history. There is a bit of simplification, as this is not a college text but aimed at the AVERAGE 2nd grader. We learn a little of the early history of these pilgrims, why they were unhappy in England bu ...more
Julia
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Definitely intended for kids with a more sophisticated understanding of the world. Example: last year my class did the wonderful 'virtual field trip' sponsored by the Plymouth Plantation museum and I wound up with students who wanted to discuss the pilgrims spreading disease amongst the indians- those are kids who are capable of reading this book. A class I had the year before would have been crawling up the walls if I sat down and read this with them. :) It all depends on your group.

Other than
Judyn
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Good book, but the illustrations are truly lacking. It is a very simple, yet informative book of who the pilgrims were, why they came to America, how difficult their time was the first year here, how deadly it would have been without the Indians help, and lastly what they did for their 3 day celebration we now call Thanksgiving. Good read for K-3.
Andrea Hussey
Main Character: Massasoit, Squanto, Samoset
Setting: Plymouth Rock
POV: 3rd Person
Genre: Traditional Literature

-Summary: This book tells the mostly true story of the first Thanksgiving that is shared with the Native Americans and the Pilgrims. The book starts with explaining that the Pilgrims decided to come to America on the Mayflower because they did not agree with the King’s religious policies. Once the Pilgrims arrive in America, they do not immediately befriend the
midnightfaerie
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 20 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Karen
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a solid book for first grade readers. It is not exactly interesting. It is not exactly complete in information. It is not exactly entertaining. And the illustrations are not exactly brilliant. But kids can read it on their own and understand most of it.

Dayna
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-reader
Solid historic Thanksgiving content in an early reader.
Larisa R
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We loved it a lot. It's very interesting and it has very nice pictures.
Jessica Lauber
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a good introduction to the history of the holiday. It is VERY simplistic, but explains challenging ideas and uses engaging vocabulary. Illustrations add to the the text.
Stephanie
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great Thanksgiving book to read.
Elanor
Feb 22, 2015 added it
All by herself!
Faith Bart
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holidays
We read this in my placement and did a whole writing unit on this in our thanksgiving books. It is a great one to tell the story about the first thanksgiving!
Nikki
Nichole
Nov 13, 2014
Mar 02, 2016
Lee
rated it did not like it
Sep 28, 2017
  • Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • Franklin's Thanksgiving
  • Tales of Amanda Pig: Level 2
  • Trail of Tears (Step into Reading)
  • If You Lived At The Time Of The Civil War