Start by marking “The Way to Cook” as Want to Read:
The Way to Cook

The Way to Cook

In this magnificent new cookbook, illustrated with full color throughout, Julia Child give us her magnum opus the distillation of a lifetime of cooking. And she has an important message for Americans today. . .

to the health-conscious: make a habit of good home cooking so that you know you are working with the best and freshest ingredients and you can be in control of what
Published September 28th 1993 by Knopf (first published September 18th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Way to Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way to Cook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,232 books — 1,112 voters
Orange Is the New Black by Piper KermanThe Last Dragon by Jane YolenSnake the Gypsy by Mikal O'BoyleMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe Velveteen Daughter by Laurel Davis Huber
Books by Smithies
59 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Way to Cook
Catherine
Jun 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is why I love Julia Childs:

“Special Note: The Rooti-ti-Toots

Some diners find the flatulent after-effects of home-cooked dried beans too distressing to contemplate. A number of years ago, scientists at the Western Regional Research Center of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Albany, California, discovered that dried beans do indeed contain elements some people find difficult to digest. To cope, the human intestines send out voluminous gases of protest and rebellion.

Fortunately, however,
Angela Skeie
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a book that is very much worth having. There's a place for it on the shelf, but more often, it's wandering about the living room because it's such a good and important read. For me, it has it's obvious limitations, because I don't eat meat, but it's been very useful for fish; and although I consider myself having a good hold of it already, vegetable preparations. And then there are the desserts and pastries--an invaluable resource. I must admit, however, I found the ever-so-slightly diff ...more
Gail
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all cooks
Shelves: cooking
This modestly-titled, huge book has, besides Julia's trademark je ne cest quoi, detailed directions on how to make anything. Armed with this book and some patience, anyone can learn to cook almost anything that isn't specifically country-based (e.g., sushi). Included are
pictures, disaster corrections, and enough variations to keep one happily occupied for years. I considered myself an experienced and pretty good cook when I first got this book, but I've learned so much from it that my skills hav
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Timeless. Perfect. I love the way this one is organized. It corresponds to a lot of video segments you can find on You Tube, so you can watch Julia do it first. <3 ...more
C
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Some of the recipes in here are a bit dated for American home cooks (not sure many people are going to be touching the chicken aspic), but the majority of the book is full of good, practical food and instruction you can rely on.

When in doubt on how to make something, grab the Julia Child book first... she'll walk you through it with good step by step instructions and pictures. This is the book I toss at people who are learning to cook - particularily meats, breads, vegetables, pastries, and ste
Julie
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I think Julia Child was one of a kind and I've read lots and lots about her and by her but never her "Bible" (Mastering the Art of French Cooking) or this new testament. For me, I need bigger pictures and shorter ingredient lists to get excited about actually trying a recipe, but I did enjoy her commentary. Fun to flip through but not a keeper.
Richard Pfeifer
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on how to cook, not just recipes, but technique, step by step through recipes and permutations, not to mention how to use leftovers, or as she states "feasting on the remains". As a home cook, I learned much and still refer to my aging copy frequently for questions or direction on how to best approach a dish. Not to mention her meatloaf recipe is the best.
Alisa
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, food
Kitchen bible. Julia's expertise is undisputed. If you want to know how to do anything right, from the simple to more complex, then this should be the standard reference.
Donna
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Just about my all time favorite. I've learned so much, but the thing I use the most is how to boil an egg.
Kelley
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my go to cookbooks. Fond memories every time I use this cookbook
Judi
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, cookbooks
My first copy of this book has seen a little too much wear. Time to purchase another one. Hey, at least I can prepare the best hard boiled egg of anyone I know! Time for 10 star option.
Monica Willyard Moen
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, nls
In this cookbook, Julia child updates some of her cooking techniques, introducing cooking methods such as the microwave. This is an excellent book for beginner cooks, and there are treats for seasoned cooks as well.
Mary Ann
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I use this all the time. It is well written and organized. It is my favorite cookbook, and I have nearly worn it out. I cook all the time, teach cooking classes and entertain frequently. Of the many cookbooks I have, this is my go to.
Amy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's Julia...what more can I say?
Kugpair+Ru
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book teaches the proper way of cooking. i suggest this book to all food lovers.
Mary Mojica
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. I wanted to know more about Julia Child after watching the movie and decided to get this book and read it thoroughly. I enjoyed it deeply.
Nicole
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You never truly finish a cookbook, so have I read every page? not yet, and I should try more of the recipes too, but I really like the format.
Arrel
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-eating
Well, I guess everyone should own a copy of this classic cookbook, even if everyone (almost at least) never looks in it anymore. "Shades of Julie and Julia!"
Larry Edwards
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is Julia at her best! Each of the dishes included are presented in a rather simple manner. True, the included dishes may venture beyond a "typical" home dinner but let's face it, there are times we all want to venture away from the "usual." There is also a video series to go along with this book and you can find some of them on the Net.
Bethany
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A bestseller by the most popular postwar writer for children of all ages.
Mary
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The way to cook
Written in 1989, this cookbook is Child’s 7th and provides a wonderful tour of how cooking works. The text is grouped around techniques and is logically organized so that the reader can understand that when you know how to make chowder, for example, you can make almost any chowder without needing a separate recipe for each. But the book also pushes beyond Child’s earlier books and incorporates new ideas and a recognition of a healthier approach to eating. Pictures figure throughou
Geoff Bartakovics
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the breathing
Shelves: favorite-go-tos
Friends who know me will snicker at this obvious addition to my "already read" shelf, as I'm a self-styled Julia Child hag.

But despite that, this is truly a revolutionary book to me. One that I can honestly say I have read -- not scanned or cooked from. Because it is highly readable. Julia chatted with her readers about "master recipes" that could be learned and varied. This was a techniques book before food styling was a profession.

We are now late enough in history for "foamed food" to have co
Nicole
Jan 24, 2008 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is my go-to for any culinary question. The recipes range from simple to complicated but because Julia Child had a way with teaching, you never feel overwhelmed. And, not only that, she explains how to properly carve a chicken, trim meat- all those things that you should know never bothered asking our mother (that is if my mother ever actually knew). I also reference this when I see other recipes and I am not sure if they make sense. I recommend owning it. You never know when it will co ...more
Janetiokepa
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
After reading APPETITE FOR LIFE I felt that Julia Child believed this cookbook to be her greatest. It is amazing in its depth and breadth of types of food, the incredibly detailed explanations, the photographs, and her voice comes through loud and strong. I couldn't believe how BIG the book is--its size and length. I haven't read every single recipe, but I want to tackle a few of my favorites, for example, the recipe for French bread! (She doesn't tell how many hundreds of loaves she and Paul ba ...more
Jules
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What can you say...? Julia's voice in her cookbooks is so prevalent and clear. In difficult recipes she guides you through with reassurance and authority--I just love her. There are many recipes in this book I make over and over: her beef bourguignon, her scalloped potatoes--her pizza with tomato sauce recipe we can live without! (we just made it last night!). I just adore her. We are so lucky to have had her in our lives and in our kitchens.
Bill Adelson
Jul 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love butter
Shelves: cookbooks
To know Julia was to love her. To love her was to cook from one of her recipes. The key, with the exception of deserts, is to read the recipe and make it your own, put your own soul into. Deserts, you can't do that. You have to put love into them, but you've got to follow them to the T or else they'll be ruined.
Samantha
Aug 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Julia Child knows what she is doing in the kitchen. This book is more for learning technique than actually cooking anything, because really the majority of the recipes call for tarragon layed across a chicken pate covered in aspic, and who really wants to eat that? Next stop will be a full set of Mastery of French Cooking. Oh my.
Maureen
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: novice cooks and foodies alike
Shelves: cookbooks
If I could only keep one from my vast stores of cookbooks, this would be it. Nearly every page is spattered with batter, or oil, or some other kitchen effluvia. Julia's great jubilation in producing succulent dishes shines through every one of the beautifully composed pages. I come back to it again and again.
Diana
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
ok, i have to be real here. this book is great, but julia isn't the greatest cookbook writer. her instructions are hard to follow. you have to read it very, very carefully and her recipes take 10 times longer to make than ones that you might find online. BUT there's a reason to her madness...her recipes are the "dankest" ever. it's like going to a 5-star restaurant. it's that good.
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
A must have...I got this as a precursor to her MTAFC Vols. I & II, and am glad I did. Goes from basics to more complex variations of classic dishes. I have referenced this book a lot, much like I use the Joy of Cooking, to compare recipes, look at methods of roasting, baking, etc. A good first JC cookbook! That said, who on earth makes aspic (cold poultry suspended in jello) anymore?! Ugh... ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Truong day nau an uy tin o TPHCM 1 2 Aug 03, 2016 04:03AM

• The Fannie Farmer Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • Betty Crocker's Cookbook
  • The Cake Bible
  • On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
  • Baking: From My Home to Yours
  • Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That?
  • Joy of Cooking
  • The Taste of Home Cookbook
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker
  • Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food
  • The Gourmet Cookbook: More than 1000 recipes
Julia Child was a famous American cook, author, and television personality who introduced French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream through her many cookbooks and television programs. Her most famous works are the 1961 cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and, showcasing her sui generis television persona, the series The French Chef, which premiered in 1963.

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...