Start by marking “Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments, #4)” as Want to Read:
Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments, #4)

Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments #4)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
After previous assignments in London, the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, and the Australian rain forest, this final adventure in the Hunchback Assignments series finds our hero, shape-shifting, masked spy Modo, on his most personal quest. Along with fellow spy Octavia Milkweed, they search for Modo's biological parents. But when the Clockwork Guild find Modo's parents first ...more
Published September 11th 2012 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Island of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island of Doom

Alan
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steam-punk
Linda
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book in the Hunchback Assignments series and supposedly the final book. Please let it not be so! I love this series. This title was not as good as the previous one, "Empire of Ruins", but it still was fantastic. The series is set in Victorian England, circa 1870.

In this book the Clockwork Guild are building bigger and more horrible experiments in their race to control the world. They now have a lab hidden away on a Pacific Island. Modo, the deformed boy who is able to change his
Rose
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I like this book but I didn’t love it. Yes, it had that same adventure with my favorite characters but for some reason I felt that Modo and Octavia were a bit off. I still can see how this book fits in with the others but to say this…this book is the final installment was a slight let down. I ordered this book from Canada because I was so excited and anxious to read it before the US release. Maybe my expectations were too high and this book didn't reach it...

I wanted fireworks but all I got was
Bunburying
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the last book of a wonderful series from Arthur Slade, about a deformed young man named Modo with some unusual abilities. He is raised to be a spy in a secret organization designed to protect the British Empire. Each novel has travel, adventure, and coming-of-age tribulations deftly handled by the author. I appreciate how he can depict Modo’s struggles with identity and values without becoming bogged down or holding up the story. Each of these books has an enjoyable and complete storylin ...more
Ramona
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully original, well-written book.
Morgan Oats
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very critical of this book for a few reasons. I had just come off of reading books like the Lord of the Rings series which have their own standard; I hadn't read the series for months now and I had lost some interest in the story, and I just don't think the writing is very high caliber. All that being said, at the end of the day I like this book just as I like this series. Arthur Slade may not be a J.R.R. Tolkien, but he knows how to create a good story.

In this conclusion to the Hunchback
Linsey
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk
It took me all four books to discover what bugged me about these books. They were written ok following general grammar, spelling, punctuation, and not using too many adverbs. The problem was more subtle. The author disobeys "Show, don't tell" the entire time. This series seems like a summary of the adventures of Modo.

It happens in the large scale. I thought the idea behind using steampunk and the hunchback of Notre Dame was interesting, but it doesn't stay interesting. The characters don't seem
Amy Lignor
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For those who have not followed this incredible series, Modo is a young man who was born with a deformity, and has the power to change his face and body in order to become a different person at will - which definitely comes in handy in his work as an agent for ‘The Permanent Association’ - which is a group whose job is to protect Britannia.

Through three previous adventures, Modo has found himself in many situations - from the mean streets of London to the Atlantic Ocean to the rain forest in Au
Jack Baillot
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The final book in the Hunchback Assignments finds Modo and Octivia traveling to France in search of the parents who abandoned him as a baby. They are also determined to stop the Clockwork Guild once and for all.

Though this book didn't surpass the third as my favourite - eh, what can I say I like stories with airship battles - it is now the second favourite in the series. Modo is more grown up in this one and willing to question about whether what he is doing is right or wrong. And I was please
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The final book in this series is a splendid, rollicking adventure. Almost every kind of derring-do meets our favourite team of 'Tavia and Modo as they travel from Montreal, Canada to France then London and end up on a South Pacific Island. A mixture of steampunk and Frankenstein meet with the horrid collection of human and steel warriors vs super creatures sewn together from parts of corpses and enlivened by the maternal blood of Modo. Even though it has been a year since last reading about Modo ...more
Evan
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What an amazing final installment. Seriously, give this book a whirl. It will BLOW YOUR MIND! The shape-shifting hero, Modo, and his companions, Octavia Milkweed, Colette Brunet, Tharpa, Mr. Socrates, Oppie Entwistle, Ester McGravin are about to make one final assault on the clockwork guild, and stop them for good. The amazing writing, the nonstop action, and the sheer scale of it makes this book a hit.
Arthur Slade has also added a few new characters, such as Footman, Cook, Typhon, Lime an
Rachel
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok yes, I'm a little sad that this is the last book in "The Hunchback Assignment" series, but the good news is the author is trying to make a continuation story about Modo and Octavia called "Modo: Ember's End," and is a steampunk Wild West adventure. Check out the series website for more info and to help fund the project: http://www.hunchbackassignments.com/. I think it would be awesome.

In this volume, Modo and Octavia are on the search for Modo's parents, with the help of Colette (the French
Cecilia Rodriguez
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arthur-slade
When Colette Burnet visits Modo, he is told that his birth parents are still alive.
In this final adventure with Modo, Slade pays homage to Victor Hugo, who is the major source of inspiration for the plot.
Other authors that Slade draws inspiration are: H.G. Wells, Lewis Carroll, Robert Lewis Stevenson, and Mary Shelly.
The fun reference that younger readers may not catch is to a 70's era television show: "Kung Fu."
There is even imagery barrowed from Grimm's fairytale of "Snow White."
Slade maintain
Clara Thompson
Oct 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Arthur Slade created a loveable and inspiring character in Modo, and I was caught up in the hunchback's life as soon as I started the first book. But, unfortunately, the author didn't deliver at all in the last book, The Island of Doom. Nothing happened the way I wanted it to...in fact, nothing happened at all. By the end of the book, we're back at square 1 and nothing has been accomplished in Modo's life other than the fact that he is an incredible spy. I wanted this book to be good, but it jus ...more
Merrilyn Tucker
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the Hunchback Assignment series and am truly sorry to see it come to a close with this, the fourth book, Island of Doom. Modo and Octavia head out to find Modo's parents. That pursuit does not turn out well. Without giving too much away, though, I can say that the series ended on a positive note. What I do not understand about this series is that I cannot get more students to read it. Perhaps the Victorian era does not grab the elementary crowd the way it does me!
luvmaisha
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
All I have to say was that it was an absolutely awesome. Modo discovers who his parents are and where he comes from and the Permanent Association finally locate the Clockwork Guild's base and face them down. The plot was rapidly developing, exciting, and parts of it were really shocking. The ending came as such a surprise I don't even know what to say. Definitely a must read.
Maya
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yay!!! Finally there is another one. Ill wait forever for this book if I have too. I have to read it. OMG!! Whats going to happen? It better be a happy or at least a satisfying conclusion or else I'm going to be expecting another one. And if there isn't another one I'm going to cry.
Teri
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was okay, but it was heavier on violence than on plot, and I would have liked a cleaner resolution than what I got.

(I guess I'm channeling Lime here, since I'm a poet and I know it.) :)

Brenda "Brie"
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed how the ending was but there is a cliff hanger. One of the new players isn't remotely dead and that person rows off into their next adventure. Possible new series? Hmmmmmmm... Mr. Slander, what are you up to?
Cory Beatty
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This might be the best book of a terrific series. I'd encourage anyone to read it. I certainly wish it was around when I was a reluctant young reader. High adventure, literary glimpses, and just great fun!
Ipek Tashkin
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a thrilling conclusion to such s great series. I was expecting Modo to be with his mother and marry Octavia, but it did not happen. I was sad when Collete died, she was such a good character.
Amanda
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adults, fans of steam punk
Shelves: favorites
I am so glad this had a decent ending. Arthur Slade has not yet disappointed me with one of his books. I almost wish there were some companion novels that follow Modo. I do recommend this series to anyone that enjoys young adult steam punk fiction.
Lynn Bornath
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A satisfying and exciting ending for an entertaining series. I shall miss Modo. (Although I do still have the graphic novel to read!)
Kim
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great series and I'm sad that it ended even though it had a satisfying ending.
Antje Hergt
I'd love to see more adventures...
Britt, Book Habitue
For some reason I just didn't love this one as much as the others.
Emily Ann
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this one as much as the others.
Niall
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindled
A fitting end to the excellent Hunchback Assignments as the plots and threads of the first three books are neatly brought together in this final instalment.
Heath
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Exciting finish to the series. Very enjoyable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
What is your favourite book in this series and why? 1 5 Jul 16, 2012 09:00AM
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Becoming Holmes: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His Final Case (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • Riese: Kingdom Falling
  • Doktor Glass
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk Adventures
  • Power Under Pressure (The Society of Steam, #3)
  • Fox and Phoenix (Long City, #1)
  • The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • The Lost Kingdom
  • The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)
  • Hammer of Angels (Shadowstorm, #2)
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • Neil Flambé and the Crusader's Curse (The Neil Flambé Capers #3)
  • A Troublesome Boy
  • Ghoulish Song (Zombay, #2)
Arthur Slade was raised in the Cypress Hills of southwest Saskatchewan and began writing at an early age. He is the author of the bestselling The Hunchback Assignments series of books, Dust (which won the Governor General's award), Tribes and Jolted. He lives in Saskatoon, Canada (which really is a real place). Join his creative & somewhat clever newsletter at: what a zany newsletter!
More about Arthur Slade...

The Hunchback Assignments (4 books)
  • The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1)
  • The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2)
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)