Start by marking “Dorothy L. Sayers: The Complete Stories” as Want to Read:
Dorothy L. Sayers: The Complete Stories

Dorothy L. Sayers: The Complete Stories

A sure treat for Dorothy L. Sayers's legions of fans, The Complete Stories is the ultimate collectible. This delightfully gruesome collection captures all of Sayers's short stories in one volume. The tantalizing puzzles and baffling cases will provide mystery lovers with a sumptuous feast of criminal doings and all those amusing and appalling things that happen on the way ...more
Published July 23rd 2002 by Perennial (HarperCollins)

To ask other readers questions about Dorothy L. Sayers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorothy L. Sayers

Start your review of Dorothy L. Sayers: The Complete Stories
Shan
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Terrific and surprising collection of stories.

The Lord Peter Wimsey stories make up about the first 2/3 of the book. They're predictable only in that you know Wimsey is going to brilliantly put together the clues you didn't even notice and solve the puzzle, and that his reputation and position mean the authorities will give him respect and any help he might need. The situations and the puzzles themselves are wonderfully varied. Lots of fun to read these.

Then there's a section of Montague Egg st
Sun
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dorothy L. Sayers was a genius and if you read this, the first complete collection of her short stories, you will see what I mean. The stories fall into three categories: those that feature the voluble Lord Peter Wimsey, those that feature eager travelling salesman Montague Egg and those that stand-alone. (In my mind, Wimsey is a younger, blonder Stephen Fry with a monocle and Egg is a clever human version of Disney's Jiminy Cricket, all eagerness and propriety.)

The stories are all mysteries, a
Pamela Mclaren
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Clever, fun interesting short mysteries by a master of the genre. Her characters are a delight, the stories are devious and the final twists are amazing. A great book to read.
Kristina
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For the most part lighthearted. Lord Peter is charmingly flippant, Monty Egg sincere and touching. The final collection are miscellaneous mysteries, and because they were not always told from the perspective of the detective (instead sometimes from that of the murderer or the hunted) were darker and more psychologically gripping. These last were particularly inventive, where Sayers displays her ability to keep fresh a theme no matter how many times she uses it. My particular favorite for this re ...more
Justine Olawsky
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I like Dorothy Sayers better as a short story writer than as a mystery novelist. These shorts were really exceptional. Most of the stories feature the eccentricities of beloved aristocratic sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey; then, there is a good chunk of tales whose mysteries are put to rights by traveling wine salesman, Montague Egg; lastly, there are some stand-alone stories that are among the most excellent of the bunch. What a treat for this lover of the British mystery!
Caroline Bennett
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2019
These really are superb. Took me over a year to read (alongside other things) but well worth reading this nearly 800 page collection of short stories. I think Lord Peter Whimsey and Montague Egg are my favourites.
Natalie
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed many of these stories, but this took me a while to get through. I had to renew it three times! I'm glad that I read it, and really glad that I finally finished.
Dorothea
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
So much fun!

I was given this for Christmas and I read a story or three at bedtime every day until I was done. That's how to read this book -- enjoy it a bit at a time.

I often find that I can't get into short stories by writers whose novels I've liked -- they're good at developing the plot slowly while acquainting you with the characters in full, and short stories don't have room for all that. But I had nothing to worry about with Sayers; in fact, these stories were at times more fun than some pa
Brendan
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I hadn't read much Sayers before this collection. I certainly knew about the Lord Peter Whimsey stories, and I knew that she's seen as one of the grandmasters of the classical genre, but I hadn't waded into her work before. This book makes a nice survey of it. It encapsulates all the Whimsey stories that aren't novels, all the Montague Egg (traveling salesman of wine and spirits) stories, and a few others to boot. A few thoughts:

* The Whimsey stories are generally satisfying as character studie
Carla
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Dorothy Sayers is a fantastic mystery writer. She presents wonderful characters with clever puzzles and often solves the mysteries with a bit of humor. In this collection I preferred the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries. He is by far her best character. There are also several Montague Egg mysteries, although I find him less entertaining. The collection wraps up with a series of mysteries with no specific character leading them, which makes you realize why she created Lord Peter.
Jenny
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have yet to read anything by Sayers that I didn't at least like, and I loved this collection. The Wimsey stories are glorious, obviously, and I also really enjoyed the Montague Egg ones and the stand-alone ones. Like Sayers' other work, these were clever, creative, and well-executed. I read them a few at a time, giving myself a treat at the end of the day. Highly recommended.
Susie
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Several of the stories at the end were quite a lot more interesting than many of the ones at the beginning. It's clear she became a much better writer.
Sherri Rabinowitz
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed re-reading this delightful collection.

Of course is The Lord Peter Wimsey stories that I had never read before the first time I read it and the wonderful stories of married life of Harriet and Peter. As always Peter solves all the various puzzles with aplomb.

I had never even heard of the Montague Egg stories. They are adorable. Egg is a traveling wine and spirits salesman who runs into all sorts of mysteries mysteries as he makes his sales calls. "The salesman who will use his brains wi
EuroHackie
A fun introduction to Dorothy L. Sayers, by way of her short stories. To my understanding, this volume is complete, including all of the shorts starring Lord Peter Wimsey (who is quite too adorable for words, IMO) and Montague Egg (a bit stiffer, but also an interesting protagonist), as well as a handful of unrelated stories. They almost all fall under the category of mystery or crime/noir, and some have a hint of the supernatural to them.

There was some unevenness between the stories, and I foun
Mallory Daniels
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read only two of the three sections; I skipped the second section with the stories of Montague Egg as I found them boring. But the rest of the stories were very good! Dorothy Sayers has a real knack for creating an atmospheric short story that holds your interest, sometimes until the very last line. And a Lord Peter Whimsey story is always excellent!
Sheryl Hill
This is a collection of all of the Lord Peter Wimsey short stories. They are wonderful.

My favorite is the last story--not for the crime, but for the wonderful new characters. I wish there had been many more.

M-N
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
classic Sayers and lord Wimsey in his many guises right up to the end as paterfamilias. You have to really concentrate reading these and you cant binge read, thought I also would enjoy this more ..Maybe its me..
Dennis
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is no better mystery writer than Dorothy Sayers.
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Terrific brain teasers that feature Lord Peter Wimsey, Montague Egg, and some miscellaneous ones. It makes one appreciate how much work crime can be.
J.C.
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Uneven quality, but the two stories about Lord Peter as a family man, The Haunted Policeman and Talboys, are especially worth the read if you’re a Wimsey fan.
Jac
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lord Peter Wimsey in small doses, what could be finer?
Gail Ranson
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These novels are easy to read and are fun to solve before
the detective. I just love them
Belinda Rule
Jun 16, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition

Encompasses the following books in the Lord Peter Wimsey series: 4, 9, 14, 15
Cary
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Of course, wonderful. Did dear Miss Sayers write anything that wasn't wonderful?

I do love Montague Egg. I wish she'd written more of those.
Nancy McKibben
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Dorothy L. Sayers and British mysteries
The Complete Stories
By Dorothy L. Sayers

In addition to the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery novels, Sayers wrote two collections of short stories about him, Lord Peter Views the Body and Hangman’s Holiday, which are part of this anthology. They have intriguing titles such as “The Abominable History of the Man with Copper Fingers” and “The Undignified Melodrama of the Bone of Contention” and the stories are as much fun as their titles. Of particular interest are the last two stories, “The Haunted Police
Nathan Willard
Aug 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I wanted to get the full Wimsey, so I picked this up at the local library. As a bonus, the volume includes all of the adventures of Montague Egg, traveling spirits salesman, and a number of standalone mysteries.

I've always found Sayers's mystery plots to be the thinnest part of her novels, so these stories, which are essentially nothing but the mystery plots, aren't as satisfying as her novels. Still, you get a few Wimsey stories that expand out the characters and place them into a broader conte
Amanda
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
On the whole, marvelous

Dorothy Sayers is one of my favorite mystery authors. This volume is the compilation of all of her short stories (as was known at the time of publication, I think another one has popped up since then), and is divided into three nonequitable parts: Lord Peter Whimsey, Montague Egg, Other Stories. The first two sections are by far the best. I love Whimsey and Egg, but don't care for her shorts that don't have an ongoing character, as a general rule. They just have a differen
Alice Chen
I first read Dorothy Sayers....in my organic chemistry class in college! She was quite the amateur scientist, and so there was a particular phenomenon in organic chemistry that she tackled in the book we were assigned to read for that class.

Over 20 years later I have re-discovered her work, and really enjoyed the short stories featuring her character Lord Peter Wimsey, an "amateur" sleuth with razor sharp observation and deduction skills. What I love is the dialogue in this book. In my head I am
Nigel
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is simply a collection of all the short stories (not the novels) about Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane. Terribly old-fashioned, fussily academic and politically incorrect in many places, the short stories nevertheless plug many gaps left in the history of LPW and HV by the novels. Together, the short stories and novels are evocative of the period between 1918 and 1939 and of the privileged lives of the upper classes in England. The stories were published roughly contemporaneously with th ...more
DeAnna Knippling
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A reread. Every time I go back to this collection (and I do), I'm impressed at the classics in here.

Three sections:

Lord Peter Whimsey stories
Montague Egg stories
Various stories

Okay, some of the non-Whimsey, non-Egg stories are trite and boring, and the Egg stories get repetitive after a while (and it annoys me that they all cut off with Egg's logical suspicion but no proof), but they're all charming.

• Five Complete Hercule Poirot Novels: ABC Murders / Cards on the Table / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner
  • Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver
  • Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • You Never Forget Your First: A Biography of George Washington
  • Guard Against Dishonor (Hawk & Fisher, #5)
  • Wolf in the Fold (Hawk & Fisher, #4)
  • The Crowded Street
  • Here for It: Or, How to Save Your Soul in America; Essays
  • Procrastination - how to do it well
  • Love Lettering
  • A Land Remembered
  • Guards of Haven (Hawk and Fisher, #4-6)
  • A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2)
  • One-Third Nerd
  • Native: Identity, Belonging, and Rediscovering God
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
Dorothy Leigh Sayers was a renowned British author, translator, student of classical and modern languages, and Christian humanist.

Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short stories set between World War I and World War II that feature English aristocrat and amateur sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. However, Sayers herself considered her translation of Dante's Divina Co