Start by marking “Star Wars - The Truce at Bakura” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Star Wars - The Truce ...

Kathy Tyers

Star Wars - The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars Universe)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  9,915 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
No sooner has Darth Vader's funeral pyre burned to ashes on Endor than the Alliance intercepts a call for help from a far-flung Imperial outpost. Bakura is on the edge of known space and the first to meet the Ssi-ruuk, cold-blooded reptilian invaders who, once allied with the now dead Emperor, are approaching Imperial space with only one goal: total domination. Princess Le ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars - The Truce at Bakura, please sign up.

Kathryne Baldwin You have to buy it, then come back and let people know if you liked it!

Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Han paused in midstep. "What is this? I suppose you're going to ask my intentions toward your sister."

Luke smiled at Han. "I know what your intentions are, friend. She needs you. Just don't let her down."

Han's crooked smiled shone like an asteroid beacon. "Not on your life."

This book may be one of the best Star Wars books I have ever read. It takes place right after Return of the Jedi and demonstrates Luke, Leia, Han, and the rest of the Alliance dealing with the aftermath of having the Empire t
Katie
Oooh, I really liked this one! It's set right after Return of the Jedi and I really like how it explores Leia post-movie. You get to see her dealing with Vader being her father (which, really, the movie should've given us) and she and Han start figuring things out.

I like Luke in this book, too, but his storyline also made me laugh because it felt like an old school sci fi episode. He meets a woman AND THEY HAVE THIS HUGE CONNECTION, LIKE SO SPECIAL . . . but nothing really happens, and they neve
Siria
Yes, I know, another SW:EU novel. But they're a special brand of crack, and it's fun revisiting the things I was so thoroughly addicted to in 1996/97. This is probably one of, if not the best, novel which has been written in the Star Wars extended universe. Like all the rest of the EU novels, this is really just glorified fanfiction, a fictional romp through the history which the films don't cover; however, it's one of the better examples of the genre. The storyline rollicks along, the character ...more
María  Sanz
No es ni de lejos mi novela de Star Wars favorita, pero me ha gustado más que la primera vez que la leí, es entretenida, sin más.
Chelsea
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, one of the best Star Wars EU novels. I found the characterization of Leia and Han particularly good, and I enjoyed the struggles Luke faced dealing with his new identity as a Jedi master.

She did a good job with the interplay between Han and Leia, considering that at the end of Return of the Jedi, their attraction is obvious, but they haven't spent time together or learned how to resolve disagreements. Well done.

No, there's no sex, only thwarted attempts at make-outs.

The only real
Merida
Nov 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is, hands down, the worst book in the EU. Forget about killing off Chewie or totally improbably enemies (or weapons) this has got to be the stupidest book in the history of SW. Except maybe the one that went between IV and V. That one was just weird.
Ashley Bogner
A bit creepy/gruesome in places, but overall an exciting story that takes place immediately after Return of the Jedi .
Crystal Starr Light
Not a day has passed since the big boom over Endor when Luke and Wedge retrieve a distress signal from the Imperials at Bakura. Spurred by a vision from Ben, Luke leads a force to Bakura, with Leia, Han, and Chewie (of course, Artoo and Threepio). At Bakura, our Rebels see the Imperial forces beleaguered in their fight against a strange alien species, the Ssi-Ruuk. But will Governor Wilek Nereus accept the Alliance's help? And can they defeat the Ssi-Ruuk anyway?

NOTE: I read the book many years
Samantha Harvey
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time delving into the written works of the Star Wars mythos and was pleasantly surprised with this. So many times, you see the conversion from book to movie and become upset with the movie for not holding up to the same standards as the book. In this case, it was the reverse process and provided more than what we could get in the movie. Due to the nature of being a book, we are able to view the thoughts and actions of multiple characters (including Chewie!). By being able to see ...more
Alex
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*SPOILER ALERT* I would recommend this book to anyone who is a Star Wars fan, there is no age limit. This book is key in reading about the future of the Star Wars universe. The book takes place in the following moments after Star Wars IV, after second Death Star was destroyed. It started with Wedge finding an old messenger ship that was sent by the Empire. The message was telling the Emperor that the Ssi-Ruuk were attacking Bakura and that they were in need of reinforcements. The Alliance decide ...more
Jesse Booth
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I'm surprised this book has such a low average rating. For a Star Wars book, it was actually pretty good. Beyond that, it's Sci Fi elements were spectacular, which completely enhanced the story for me.

Tyers brought in a new alien race (the Si Ruu) that capture humans and rips their living energies to droids. This is their entire galactic conquest, to rule the cosmos buy enslaving souls as batteries. I think it's a cool idea.

The story literally picks up where Return of the Jedi ends, with Luke st
Xa
I acquired this book from Audible; I only realized after that it was, unfortunately, the abridged version. I avoid abridged books if I can — they make me grumbly.

Even so, I enjoyed the book. My favorite part, though, was that it was acted out instead of merely read, but again, that's an audiobook feature. The story was fun; I hadn't ever thought to read Star Wars fiction before, though I do enjoy watching the movies.
Bryon
Jan 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I sure picked a stinker for the first, of many, Stars Wars books I've decided to plow through for "Project: Reread Books from my Childhood." This one was pretty terrible.

Plot, plot, cheesy line from original trilogy, plot, plot, unsatisfied.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic addition to the original trilogy for those who must know what happened next.
John Coakley
In Kathy Tyers' novel "The Truce At Bakura," Tyers expands on the massive Star Wars universe created by George Lucas. Tyers' spin on the Star Wars universe is an original one that could be seen as a realistic addition to the existing plot of Star Wars. However, where "Bakura" falls slightly short is in depth. While I did enjoy the story, especially early on, the book lacked a natural ability to keep the reader interested. Personally, this is what separated "Bakura" so much from the existing "St ...more
Wolf (Alpha)
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was way different than other star wars books. I loved this book. I like how Princess Lei went to Bakura, to help, and to solve her mission. I like that Luke headed to Bakura without even thinking about the danger he was heading into. 5 star rating.
Miles Reid-lobatto

It's been years since I was a voracious reader of the Star Wars novels and it's been even longer since I read 'Truce at Bakura.' Honestly, it's pure fun, it's the Star Wars characters before they got bogged down in the huge sprawling expanded universe that the novels eventually became. The Luke, Leia and Han of the novels had settled into new roles so it's refreshing to see Luke as the powerful yet inexperienced Jedi instead of the enlightened Jedi Master of later books. In fact, some of the boo
Guillermo
Mar 20, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't waste your time reading this. I am not a hater but this book lack of...... This book has nothing! Bad sequences bad develop of the characters. The author gave them a new personality, and that was bad because they were not they characters to do that. It create a plot with a lizards that was boring and without sense.

To me if you are going to write about something that already has its own personality and background so don't Try to make fancy things just to highlight your work. Don't try to r
Philip
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
I'll confess I didn't read the whole of it, only the first quarter or so. I stopped because it was rather dull and plodding, requiring a lot of effort to keep going. I can only assume the book starts to get interesting later on, though that would be a rather paltry reward for the rather dull first 80 pages of the book.
Colin Barnes
Pretty decent read. The characters were familiar and the dialogue suited them well. I liked Luke's challenges but felt some of the action scenes were a little rushed in and out as were some of the climactic moments and I didn't get much of a sense that the characters were truly in trouble, but it was authentically star wars and a fun read.
Kelly
This one was quite angsty, if I remember correctly. You know how Luke had his absurd, mocked to the end of time reaction to "Luke, I am your father"? Well, this book is Leia's reaction to the same thing. And romance with her and Han. And.. some other stuff I can't remember.
Ron
This is more like it.

Tyers combines a good SF story with classic SW elements to create a tale of appropriately heroic scale. Her task was eased by the positioning of this story immediately after the close of Episode Six, but she expanded the SW universe into new territory.
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I really like it, Luke Skywalker continues battling temptation to the Dark Side and wins. Luke also helps a mentally scarred boy turn to the Light, it's a thrilling book. :)
Jamon
May 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sets-of-books
weak compared to Zahn
Mauri
Welcome to Star Wars Extended Universe Arbitrary Reread 2017! In which I reread the "Legends" novels of my youth, because I'm curious as to how well they've held up. Also, someone told me I just need to "let it go" with the EU being de-canonized and I'm full of verve and contrariness. Anyway, lots of navel-gazing ahead (Goodreads gives you over 20,00 characters for these reviews, I'm finally going to use them), but I'll be putting my new perspective at the top each time. See below that for blath ...more
Eric Farr
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Robert Herron
Huge Star Wars fun, but not a fan of this book... I don't know if the author just failed to really understand and bring to life the characters, or just failed to get me to care. Either way the book is predicated on the idea that an scary evil race outside the galaxy was kept at bay by Vader the the Emperor, but now that they are dead that scary race if coming to get our heroes... That race just simply were never that scary to me so I failed to feel any concern for the characters.
Kent
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good one and the first book in the timeline that takes place after the original movies; right after. The rebels intercept a distress call from imperials on Bakura asking for assistance in dealing with an alien threat. These aliens are trying to harvest humans to power their ships. It gets really good toward the end and moves at a good pace throughout. I would recommend this.
Carol
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aaron
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good set up for the expanded universe that left many options available for progression.
Star Wars Bookwor...: Star Wars Comedy 4 32 Apr 23, 2014 05:10PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Luke has a crush 24 30 Apr 10, 2014 08:10PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Luke's Use of the Force 10 31 Apr 10, 2014 08:09PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Chewbacca Point of View 5 26 Apr 05, 2014 03:21PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: How do you feel about this taking place RIGHT after ROTJ 10 28 Mar 26, 2014 08:12PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Book 1 is... 3 53 Mar 24, 2014 06:47PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Book Discussion Guidelines 3 39 Mar 15, 2014 04:31PM
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • Assault at Selonia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #2)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars)
  • Planet of Twilight (Star Wars)
  • The Crystal Star (Star Wars)
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • The Unseen Queen (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #2)
  • The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)
111948
She is the first child of Dr. H.C. Moore, an accomplished dentist and jazz musician who had served during WWII as a test pilot, and Barbara Putnam Moore, flutist with several California orchestras.

Kathy attended Montana State University in Bozeman, where she received a degree in microbiology, married, performed widely on her flute, and then became certified as a K-12 classroom teacher. After teach
More about Kathy Tyers...

Star Wars Universe (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Red Harvest
  • Knight Errant
  • Jedi vs. Sith
  • Darth Plagueis
  • Secrets of the Jedi
  • The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)

“…I would rather lay down my life for others’ freedom than die quietly in slavery.” 6 likes