Start by marking “How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend” as Want to Read:
How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend

How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend

Who doesn't need to know How To Recognize A Demon Has Become Your Friend? From the first African-American to receive the HWA Bram Stoker award, this collection of both horror and science fiction short stories and poetry reveals demons in the most likely people (like a jealous ghost across the street) or in unlikely places (like the dimension-shifting dreams of an American ...more
Published October 31st 2011 by Createspace (first published October 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend

Start your review of How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend
Emily
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"They take you to the crossroads / at midnight, you offer / your soul as a door prize."

How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend is a collection of horror & sci-fi poetry and short stories from Linda Addison. I believe this is the first time I've read Linda's work, and I loved it so much! She is so talented at writing both short stories and poetry, and the book switches between the two seamlessly.

This collection is both dark and humorous. The content in How to Recognize a
Alex findingmontauk1
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This is the first collection of horror poetry/short stories that I have read and it just opened up a whole new world for me! I was impressed with the tales and short stories, but the poetry was even better than I could have imagined! I had no idea just how dark and twisted poetry could be. I am used to all the long-winded poems of love or loneliness. It's clear to me why and how Linda Addison won a Bram Stoker after this (trivia if you didn't know: she is the first African-American to receive th ...more
DeAnna Knippling
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short collection of tales and poems, mainly on the darker side. The tales are good; the poems are better. The titular poems are my favorites, and are in fact what pulled me into the collection. Playfulness and experimentation throughout.
Adam Sequoyah
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I discovered this collection by listening to the author promote it on the podcast Writing Excuses. I checked it out, and I'm glad I did! Some of the selections truly creeped me out; most were simply brief, original ideas that engaged me right away. These provided me with my favorite thing about sci-fi, especially short stories: a wonder key that starts my creative cogs cranking!

There were some poems I had trouble understanding. They seemed a little simplistic, or maybe just understated, and
Jo
Wasn't a big fan of the poetry, but the short stories were really good; mostly an interesting blend of horror and sci fi. One or two overly hokey ones but on the whole, great. Interested to see what else she writes.
Brigitte Bobay
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories and poems. I liked almost all of the stories with only one or two that I wasn’t crazy about.
Nick Cato
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Addison's collection of poetry and short stories leans on the dark fantasy/horror side and is sprinkled generously with some nifty (and at times funny) sci-fi.

Among my favorite stories were 'The Power,' about two young girls learning how to use witchcraft via their grandmother in the wake of an attack from granny's old nemesis; 'Excerpts from the Unabridged Traveler's Guide as UFOs in Galaxy A.G.2' is a short but hysterical piece that gives light to some popular UFO myths; 'Just Pass
Eden Royce
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Addison's winning a Horror Writer’s Association’s Bram Stoker Award® for excellence in horror is well deserved. This is a collection of poetry and prose.

Addison’s poetry is somehow simultaneously visceral and melodic. Her command of meter is ideal for dark poetry and the resulting work is a dimly lit path you feel compelled to follow. Lulled by the seductive syntax of the verse, it is only at the end of the poem that you realize the character you’ve been following has come to grief.
Alex
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Power” is a story about childhood friendship with the unreliability of youth in the belief of magic. An excellent example of a perspective we see all too infrequently, and my hands-down favorite of the collection.

I’m an engineer, so I’m pretty impervious to poetry. I don’t feel like I’m a good judge of it, and therefore don’t think it appropriate for me to review the poetry in this collection in any real depth. But the flash fiction is steady and fun throughout. “Dust to Dust” i
Nikola
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
It really baffles me this book doesn't have more reviews. It's an extremely fast and enjoyable read.

The short stories are, for the most part, horror, science fiction and weird with poems in between them. If you're afraid of poetry (like I am) you'll love these. They're creepy and wonderful and evoke some beautiful imagery. The writing is straight to the point but not simplified and I was astonished how much of a backstory and characterization Ms.Addison has managed to put into so few pages.

If
Mina
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Disappointing

Unfortunately this book was not to my liking.
I couldn’t relate to none of the characters and some of the stories were far too short and too predictable.
I wasn’t fond of the writing style, especially the poetry bits, and some of the topics were also not my favourite (voodoo magic specifically).
I did enjoy the science fiction stories, but they were still far too short.
Overall, I was expecting more horror and was very disappointed to find little of it.
Thomas Watson
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I'm Watch My Friends For Demonic Behavior

A darkly satisfying mix of stories and poems. Not a writer who sticks to standard methods, which is always enjoyable when done so well. Highly recommended.
Meg
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm neither a horror nor a short story reader generally, but there were many more flavors and I really enjoyed this collection. Particular favorite pieces were Little Red in the Hood, Artificial Unintelligence, Animated Objects, and Demon Dance.
John Goodrich
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book full of delights. Addison's stories are very creative, and the characters pull the reader into the stories. Her poetry varies from the light and silly to very dark, but all of it is affecting. Excellent book, well-recommended.
Alan Clark
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a unique collection poetry and short fiction. The poetry is both lighthearted and dark, full of exquisite imagery, and the stories are emotionally driven expeditions into fantasy, horror and science fiction. The mix is eclectic and delightful.
Faith Justice
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
This is a collection of SF/F/H poems and short stories that is up for the 2012 Bram Stocker Award. Creepy, funny and imaginative!
Angi
Jun 26, 2016
Travis Shell
Feb 25, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
  • Hammers on Bone (Persons Non Grata, #1)
  • Monster, She Wrote: The Women Who Pioneered Horror and Speculative Fiction
  • Drowning With Others
  • Out Behind the Barn
  • The Place of Broken Things
  • The Undying King
  • Cold Magic (Spiritwalker, #1)
  • Salt Slow