Start by marking “The Horror of the Shade (Trilogy of the Void #1)” as Want to Read:
The Horror of the Shade (Trilogy of the Void #1)

The Horror of the Shade

(Trilogy of the Void #1)

When Commander William Jern and his wife Gayle are given an opportunity to move into one of the spacious Colonial homes on the Village Green, they jump at the chance. But the Jern's new dream home quickly becomes an icy nightmare, as death stalks them relentlessly. It comes unheralded out of the night, and like all of us, they are dreadfully unprepared. But regardless, Wil ...more
Published January 19th 2011 by Peter Meredith

To ask other readers questions about The Horror of the Shade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Horror of the Shade

Start your review of The Horror of the Shade (Trilogy of the Void #1)
Peter Meredith
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The Horror of the Shade was inspired by the first of the two paranormal events that I've been connected with. Quite simply it was a two second ghost sighting, witnessed by me and two of my brothers, when I was just a lad of seven.
So how is that extrapolated out to a trilogy?
Step one: remove me and my two brothers.
Step two: change the ghost to a demon, add a hot, but diabolical witch. Throw in a hunky seventeen-year old and his hell-powered schizophrenic sister and you're in business.
Oh, I forgot
Miriam
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
60% DNF. Slow moving and all the characters annoyed me. I just can't,,, ...more
Jason
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
5 Stars

What a great horror read. Meredith grabs a hold of you right from the start, with a taut, scary, and well done opening that sets the stage, the tone, and the plot.

Peter Meredith has created a wonderful Poltergeist like scare fest that works by creating a cast of real, likable, albeit a bit stereotypical bunch to like and empathize with. You have your large, strong military father figure in William, who is both the foundation and the strength on which this story is built. He has his own i
Dawn
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed The Horror of the Shade very much and read it straight through in two days. I got my money's worth you might say.
The story was nothing like I expected. I figured haunted house, scary scary, scary, blood, gore... big finish. Instead, I got to know and enjoy a family in a terrible situation. They were well written and so believable, I actually cried( I'm not a big crier and I want you to know I didn't bawl, I just got teary eyed) I can't remember the chapter number, but it was when the
Jacque
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Had a great creepy feeling throughout the whole book. I really enjoyed that it didnt read like a typical possession story w/ dead languages and such. The cast of characters was well written. I cant wait to see what lies in store in book Two.
Shanna
I think 3.5 stars on this one. Honestly, I didn't dislike it. I liked that it was creepy, not over the top on trying to be scary, but a more subtle scary for most of it. The beginning was fantastic, I loved how it started, that's what really got me reading it. I think the thing that brought this one down for me was Willy J. He started driving me crazy at that party after he was so depressed. I couldn't believe some of the things he did. I mean, I get that he's young, but he's old enough to know ...more
Ashley
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I received this for review from the author.I'm not big into horror. Truth be told I avoid it all costs. However I took a risk reading this book. From the moment you start reading you are freaked out of your mind. You continue on hoping there will be end to the horror.Peter did an awesome job with the scare factor!!

I'm glad to have been given the chance to review this. Even though it took a while, I had to take breaks from reading. Yes I got scared!!

I do not know if this is a spoiler or not but
Kent
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I liked this book it was well written and kept me interested in seeing how it turned out. I stand corrected although the ending seemed a little rushed it was brought to my attention (by the author himself- thanks Peter) that I in fact had not downloaded the complete trilogy. I particularly enjoyed the fact that cursing and sex was not over used in this book which happens in quite a few horror novels to overshadow the main story.I Really look forward to finding out what is in store for the Jern f ...more
Jessica George
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, loved it!

Addictive story about a demon battling a lovable family, with fun storyline and interesting background thrown in to better the reader's understanding about the power and darkness of this particular demon, as well as knowledge of where it came from (not surprisingly, from their next door neighbor)...can't wait to start book two now!
Karl  Rundel
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met Peter in a bar and we got to talking about books. He told me wrote a couple of books(7 isn't a couple) I tried The Horror of the Shade mostly out of curiosity and I really loved it. I'm on to the second in the series right now. ...more
Lauren Long
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was a slow start, but eventually it started getting really good. I can definitely tell this is his first book. Can't wait to read the other two books in the series. Peter Meredith is still an awesome author. I am really happy I found him! Off to start another of his series! ...more
Veronik Durocher
Good

I'm not into demonic possession / religious exorcism, so I was kind of reluctant to read that trilogy. Gave it a try because I really dig Peter Meredith and it was worth it. He always succeed to put something different in each of his intrigues. The second one was better, too.
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the trilogy this afternoon and I thought it was fantastic!
The first quarter of book one is a slow build to let you get to know the characters and after that its off and running.
The author has an original concept of hell and
the way it works.

I loved it. I do recommend it. Highly.
I don't do spoilers, I just give my opinion.
Always remember that a review is just one persons' opinion.
Pick up the book and make up your own mind. Don't base it on a strangers' viewpoint.

Kristina Rauchlechner
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first I was very sceptical, because I am not that much into demons. It also appeared to be out of place how the story started, yet I just could not stop reading after just a couple of pages.

The story begins with the very first try to get rid of this specific demon - the characters are not well introduced, so it's kind of like solving a riddle.
Then, there is suddenly a big leap forward and it's about another family, teenage drama and firstly it's just somewhat confusing, but the connection (t
Jeanette
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite author...

Halfway thru this book I had to stop and immediately order the next two in the series. I've read some of Mr. Meredith's books before but this one is totally over the top! If you are a fan of horror, this is definitely for you. I am continually amazed at the talent and quality of authors that I find on my kindle...thank you....
Leah
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far I like it...especially the little girl, she reminds me of my sister.
Really liked this book...but ended like bam! Good and bad, mostly good since now I have to read the next one to what happens.
Donna King
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rate the book.

I really liked this book. It was exciting, scary and funny. Katie was so funny. Such a nice family. Good book.
CYNTHIA BUENING
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

To find out in the end, awesome and scary at the same time. Will definitely continue reading this series and from this author.
Nikki
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense look at family dynamics as the Jerns struggle to solve a riddle that makes no sense in their suburban world. A demon takes one of their daughters and the family comes together to fight.
Loren
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually horror is not my cup of tea, however The Horror of the Shade was an excellent read. It was suspenceful rather than gory, which I appreciated.
Patricia
This story was entertaining, but it never did draw me in. I found an excessive amount of formatting errors, which was very distracting.
Carol
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great trilogy. Very deep.Very well thought out characters that had me cheering them on--even Talitha, half the time!
Anne
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For horror this is action packed and I love the character development
Mike Bartram
Apr 09, 2016
Roy Huff
Feb 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Jillybean and the Body (The Undead World #10.3)
  • The Nine (Godbreaker #2)
  • Red Mist (Kay Scarpetta, #19)
  • The Return
  • Red Moon
  • Those Across the River
  • The Only Good Indians
  • How to Survive a Horror Movie (How to Survive)
  • The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
  • The Waking Dark
  • Demon Knight (Blake Rossi, #1)
  • The Madman’s Daughter (The Madman’s Daughter, #1)
  • Malorie (Bird Box, #2)
  • Clown in a Cornfield
  • House
  • The Invention of Sound
  • Lost Gods
  • All Is Not Forgotten
Peter Meredith is the multi-genre author of an author of 35 novels in a variety of genres: Horror, zombies, post-apocalypse and Fantasy. Some of his creative work includes The Trilogy of Void, The Hidden Lands series, The Sacrificial Daughter, A Perfect America, Sprite and The Apocalypse Undead World.
Having tried his hand in real estate, as an emergency room nurse, and a CEO of a national lighting

Trilogy of the Void (3 books)
  • An Illusion of Hell (Trilogy of the Void #2)
  • Hell Blade (Trilogy of the Void #3)