Start by marking “Winning the Widow's Heart (Prairie Courtships, #1)” as Want to Read:
Winning the Widow's Heart (Prairie Courtships, #1)

Winning the Widow's Heart

(Prairie Courtships #1)

In the Care of the Lawman

When Texas Ranger Jack Elder stormed the isolated Kansas homestead, he expected to find a band of outlaws. Instead, the only occupant is a heavily pregnant woman-and she's just gone in to labor. A loner uneasy with emotion, Jack helps deliver widow Elizabeth Cole's baby girl and can't get back on the trail fast enough. The robber and murderer he's
Published June 5th 2012 by Love Inspired

To ask other readers questions about Winning the Widow's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning the Widow's Heart

Philippa Lodge
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some aspects of this story I really liked - the hero and heroine were true to themselves and their families. The baby was realistic in that she was awake when she should be asleep, was messy and loud, was a constant worry, and so on. The girl who helped the heroine around the house was in an awkward stage and boy, did that show -- I liked JoBeth. I liked how they both figured out the answer to the crime separately.

I never understood why the dead husband married the shop girl in the first place.
Leigh
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was looking for a quick e-read this one came recommended from the site so I went with it. It was my first Sherri Shackelford read and now I can say I'm a fan!
Holly Otto
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Personal Response:
Winning the Widow's Heart is an marvelous book that has a lot of action and descriptive words. I believe that young adults and adults would adore this book greatly.

Plot summary
Winning the Widow’s Heart is based off a fiction story of love and murder. Elizabeth is about to have a baby when Jack Elder, a Texas Ranger breaks down her door in search of a bank robber. Elizabeth is a widow, alone and afraid and Jack is there to help her when she needs it most. Elizabeth's smart-mout
Nancy Kimball
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I went into this novel with high expectations because it was a 2011 ACFW Genesis finalist. Half-way through the first chapter I could see why. The novel is tightly written, with an engaging hero and heroine and just the right amount of secondary characters to deepen the story. One in particular who says exactly what she thinks about everything I hope we see in a future novel.
The hero Jack Elder is all the right stuff you would expect in a Texas Ranger and Elizabeth a very believable heroine. My
Tima
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth is about to have a baby when Jack Elder, a Texas Ranger breaks down her door in search of a bank robber. Elizabeth is a widow, alone and afraid and Jack is there to help her when she needs it most. Jack is intent on catching a criminal and Elizabeth is sure that she can manage on her own. But both begin to realize how much they need each other.

This book was a fun read. The story flowed smoothly and was entertaining. I had a pretty good idea who the bank robber was almost from the begin
Lizzie Starr
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Escape from the here and now!
With strong leading characters and a supporting cast making you chuckle with delight, Winning the Widow’s Heart is a great debut novel. Jack and Elizabeth, both with realistic joys, sorrows, doubts and sacrifices, will fill your heart and keep you reading to learn their fates. How can you lose when a tale starts off with a Texas Ranger, a snowstorm, a pregnant widow—and a gun?

This is an author to watch—I predict great tales from her!
Rhonda Gibson
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read

I fell in love with this book not to mention Jake. He is the kind of man that every little girl dreams of marrying and the perfect hero. If you like action adventure and smiling while reading you will enjoy this book I highly recommend it
Carole
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty good story, but a little bit dragged out. Could have been a few pages shorter with some of the repetitive items such as why he was at the farm in the first place etc. and it would have been much better.
Christina
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Texas Ranger Jack is looking for a bank robber who is responsible for killing his sister in law. His leads take him to a pregnant woman in need of assitance. He then struggles with falling in love with the widow of the bank robber. I received this book for free through goodreads giveaways.
Kristie Ryan
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Great story, I cared about what would happen to the characters next. Would like to know more about what happens after the story ends!
Roseleigh
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-books
I really enjoyed this book, I found that the story line was good.
Rose

Kind of cliché story, completely predictable. Jack Elder stops by Elizabeth’s ranch looking for a bad guy, helps her deliver a baby, and you know the rest.
Still, not bad, it was kind of fun and kind of cute. Sometimes you just want a sappy love story, and this is certainly that.
Paula-O
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LIH Winning The Widow's Heart by Sherri Shackelford

This is a debut novel and a fantastic story

A Texas ranger tracking a bank robber meets a widow when the sherrif of a small town told him he should take a look in this area as he had seen man with horse like the robber was riding out that way.
Jack Elder expecting to find a band of outlaws in the small cabin breaks in the door and is shocked to find a woman in labor before him.

Elizabeth Cole grabbed a rifle and had it pointed at the door as the m
Ariana
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Much like the other Love Inspired Historical romances that I've read, this one is also perfect in that it doesn't contain smut....actually, they spend the entire novel denying their love for the other! I think that's also what makes this a beautiful story: it's about two people thrown into a bad situation which, by the end of the book, has terrible secrets surrounding it, and they still develop these feelings for each other. It's a real measure of humanity and the fact that we all want and need ...more
Kim Justice
Jun 11, 2012 added it
Shelves: reviewed
First let me say that I absolutely Love reading Love Inspired books. The fact that once I open the first page I don't normally put them down until I have read the whole book. They fit well inside a small handbag and easily taken to any appointment or to travel with so you can always have one with you. I know what your already thinking here, I can do the same with my kindle. And you would be right. But sometimes I love having an actual book in my hands. So with that being said: here is my feeling ...more
Jena
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Again, very sweet and heart-warming, so no bumping-n-grinding. The third Inspy I've ever read (also a historical - and I'm finding that I like those best) and so beautifully descriptive. Hero helps heroine (who happens to be going into labor!) on the Kansas homestead/wilderness. This was an emotional couple, and the hero was very protective, but he wasn't a jerk. My favorite scene is when the heroine walks miles in search of a doctor right before the big snow storm hits and he finds her and save ...more
Catherine Richmond
Texas Ranger Jack is on the trail of the bank robber who shot his sister-in-law. If he doesn't catch the bad guy in time, an innocent man will hang. He busts down the door of a homestead, expecting to find an outlaw, but instead finds widow Elizabeth Cole, who promptly goes into labor. Elizabeth's hired man is a smart-mouth girl of fourteen who helps deliver baby Rachel. The widow doesn't know how to take care of a baby, has suspicions about her dead husband's source of income, and has a whole t ...more
Mary Desive
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that proves that (with me) if an author can make me care about the characters, I'll follow them anywhere, no matter the genre. I don't read inspirationals or westerns often (not sure why - they just get pushed down the list by other things, I guess) but I devoured this one. Sherri really made me care about Elizabeth and Jack (and Rachel and Jo, and even the McCoy boys). I'd love to see more of these characters - hopefully Jo will get her own story, and maybe even Rache ...more
Donna
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful debut book from new author Sherri Shackelford. How can you go wrong when you start with a Texas Ranger, a snow storm and a pregnant widow with a gun. The characters make you care for them and cheer for their success. Great secondary characters add to the story with their interactions with Jack and Elizabeth (Texas ranger and widow). I recommend this delightful story to any one who also enjoys Cheryl St. John or Linda Lael Miller.
Taren
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It starts off fast paced and gets you right into the story. I like that. It's a story about a Texas Ranger searching for a banker robber and through some faulty info he ends up at a widow's just as she's about to give birth. He stays and helps her and through several events and a lot of sexual tension the two end up falling in love AND solving his bank robber dilemma too. Easy ready!
June
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
News of the outlaw he was tracking led Jack Elder right to Elizabeth Cole's door. But he didn't find an outlaw. Instead he found a very pregnant lady in labor. Though he kept searching for the outlaw, the man had simply disappeared.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth starts getting suspicious about her dead husbands activities and trying to avoid the towns people who treated her bad because of his cheating ways. In the end there are a few surprises.

Well written story that kept my attention.
steph
Jack made a appearance in The Marshal's Ready-Made Family" and as soon as Jo mentioned the back story with him and his now wife Elizabeth I knew I had to read their book. And I'm glad I did. It was fun, enjoyable and a good lunch read. Also seeing Jo as a feisty fourteen year old made me happy, now I can see why her and Jack were still so close ten years later.
Avery
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In Sherri Shackelford’s debut novel, Winning the Widow's Heart, she paints a good picture of Kansas homestead life in the 1870s.

From the first page, no—from the first sentence, I was hooked.

This book reminds me of an old western movie—where one event sharpens the next!

A great read—I highly recommend this book!
Linda
Aug 10, 2012 added it
Sherri's story of a widow in a seemingly hopless situation will grab your heartstrings from the beginning and not let go until the end. You won't be able to put this book down. I gave it to my hairdresser and she stayed up all night to finish it. Yes, it is that good...a must read! Sherri want more!

Inara Scott
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read inspirational romance but I found this one really delightful--well written, great characters, and fabulous historical details. The Christian theme is woven through gently and felt true to the characters and the time. Highly recommended!
Flavia
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the first half of so of the book, but the it seemed like it would never end. Finally the last few pages it picked up but I was bored with the book by then.

The story and characters were good.
Janis Kay
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-fic
(3.5 stars) I found it comical how Jack and Elizabeth kept baiting each other for quite a time, not realizing what they had come to mean to each other until faced with a really good suspense plot closing in.
Tammy
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paid for e-book. I have tried many Love Inspired books but this is my first favorite author. The story drew me in and I felt like I knew the characters from page 1 to the last page.
Melissa T
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
It makes me embarrassed just to think about the plot to this book, but that said, it was another fun vacation read.
Scott Roberts
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-novels
The book cover looks nice.
Christian Books -...: Love Inspired Historical Book Giveaway #3 1 8 Jun 04, 2015 04:46AM

• The Marshal's Promise
  • The Rancher's Courtship (Brides of Simpson Creek, #4)
  • Handpicked Husband (Texas Grooms, #1)
  • The Runaway Bride
  • Homefront Hero
  • Love on the Range
  • The Homesteader's Sweetheart (Wyoming Legacy, #1)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, #1)
  • The Reluctant Outlaw (Smoky Mountain Matches, #1)
  • Brides of the West: Josie's Wedding Dress\Last Minute Bride\Her Ideal Husband
  • Groom Wanted (Bowen, #3)
  • The Governess and Mr. Granville (The Parson's Daughters, #2)
  • Calico Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #3)
  • The Cowboy Tutor (Three Brides for Three Cowboys, #1)

Prairie Courtships (7 books)
  • The Marshal's Ready-Made Family (Prairie Courtships, #2)
  • The Cattleman Meets His Match (Prairie Courtships, #3)
  • The Engagement Bargain (Prairie Courtships #4)
  • The Rancher's Christmas Proposal (Prairie Courtships #5)
  • A Temporary Family (Prairie Courtships, #7)
  • A Family for the Holidays (Prairie Courtships #6)