Start by marking “On Earth As It Is In Hell” as Want to Read:
On Earth As It Is In Hell

On Earth As It Is In Hell

(Hellboy: Novels #3)

Fifty years ago, a blood-red, cloven-hoofed demon was conjured up by Axis powers at the end of World War II, but adopted by the United States government, which gave him the name Hellboy and raised him in secrecy. Today, Hellboy is a top field agent for the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense. He questions the unknown -- then beats it into submission. His latest case ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about On Earth As It Is In Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Earth As It Is In Hell

Quentin Wallace
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Hellboy novel delved pretty deep into theology and came across as a great read. Basically a scroll is found that is supposed to have been written by Jesus himself. The problem? It would have been written well after the time of his "death." Several different forces are trying to possess the scroll for various reasons, and Hellboy and the BPRD must be sure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. There are also some pretty scary angels involved in the hunt. Think The Davinci Code, but more super ...more
Joey
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I really love an author I will go and read everything that author has written (or attempt to), usually becoming so overwhelmed with his or her work that I get sick of it and cannot read it again for many years (Robert Jordan, Anne Rice, Jim Butcher, Kinky Friedman have all suffered this fate with me). But sadly Brian Hodge sort of dropped out of sight in mid obsession. While I've read probably 89% of what he's done there's a few out there that still elude me.

I have always loved him and I'm
Allison
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-read
Synopsis:

Hellboy and his team are called in by the Vatican. This would be unusual in and of itself, but the team discovers the devastation they are investigating is caused not by legions from Hell but the legions of Heaven.

Author:

Brian Hodge has quite  a list of books on Good Reads averaging about 3.66 stars. This is the first book of his that I’ve read, but he does quite a lot in the horror or crime genre.
He's a longstanding award nominee, having occupied numerous finalist slots for the Bra
Hans
Nice brain candy. Good read, had a few laughs while starving a strep throat
Jeane
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, i did not pick up a novelization of my favorite comic book character for 30 pages of action and the rest in lame ass inner monologues and soul searching conversations. lame.
Avery Follett
Wow!! This is the best one yet, I really loved this novel. I thought it was really interesting that the plot was so Roman Catholic in nature, especially since Mignola sort of steered away from Catholicism in the original Hellboy comics. This book was gruesome, disturbing, evocative, and immensely rewarding.
Amy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror, sci-fi, 2019
3.5 really. The action was good. The story idea was great. There where parts of this book that dragged. I had a hard time getting through the really slow parts. I liked the character development of Liz. It really helped set up HB and her brother sister relationship.
Lynda
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Hellboy. This was really good one with an intriguing plot.
Tim Vargulish
Story was okay but man the characterization felt way off. Not Mignola artwork through the book either which was a bummer.
Kip
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've now read 5 of the Hellboy novels and this was by far the best of them.

After an attack on the Vatican by a squadron of angels, Hellboy, Abe Sapien, and Liz Sherman are called in to take custody of an ancient document which was the intended target of the angels' attack. Before the agents of the BPRD understand the full scope of what they're dealing with, they find themselves caught between Heaven, Hell, and an ancient cabal of Catholic priests committed to fighting evil by any means necessar
Willow Redd
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angels have attacked the Vatican to destroy a controversial manuscript, and that's just for openers!

Brian Hodge takes a stab at the world of Hellboy and the BPRD and does it exceptionally well. The characters ring true, which for me is the first thing I look for in a story written by someone other than the creator. These still feel like Mignola's characters, so I can jump right into the story.

And what a story! Angels and demons after an ancient scroll, and the BPRD is right in the middle. There
Gary
Apr 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Tamara
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Hellboy comics and have been pleasantly surprised by how much I also enjoy the Hellboy books. When I'm craving a little action and horror, these always fit the bill.

Hodge does a fantastic job of showcasing Liz, getting the reader into her head and the love-hate relationship she has with the BPRD.

I'd like to see this writer tackle more Hellboy stories.
Jeff S
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story, and there was great character development throughout. But the story seemed to rush at the end. Definitely worth a read.
Jay Mullan
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Hellboy book I've ever read.
Babs
FALSE
Gene
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I alwayss thought HB would have made a great TV sereis. And this book would have been a great, two part episode. And a big ole biblical/supernatural storline to follow. Very cool book.
Joshua Mcdonald
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hellboy cant go wrong
Jennifer Williams
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fans of Hellboy or anyone who would enjoy a book of supernatural intrigue involving the Vatican.
I love Hellboy but I also love Brian Hodge and he brought a wonderful and original story to life despite it being set in a universe he didn't create.
Noah Soudrette
Nov 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hellboy fans, horror fans
Shelves: horror
A superb Hellboy original novel. The plot is fascinating, involving angels attacking the Vatican, and the character development is also satisfying.
Raven

• Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt
  • Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 2
  • Hellboy: The Ice Wolves
  • Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding
Brian Hodge, called “a writer of spectacularly unflinching gifts” by Peter Straub, is the award-winning author of ten novels of horror and crime/noir. He’s also written well over 100 short stories, novelettes, and novellas, and four full-length collections. His first collection, The Convulsion Factory, was ranked by critic Stanley Wiater as among the 113 best books of modern horror.

He lives in Col

Hellboy: Novels (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Hellboy: The Lost Army