Start by marking “Aristeia: Revolutionary Right (Aristeia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aristeia: Revolutionary Right (Aristeia, #1)

Aristeia: Revolutionary Right

(Aristeia #1)

A former naval starfighter pilot, Maarkean Ocaitchi once fought to protect the Alliance and its principles of freedom and democracy, but his sister's rebellious past forced them both into a life of smuggling. He nevertheless refuses to believe her assertions that the whole system is corrupt... until she is arrested and condemned to death as a traitor. Now, Maarkean must ...more
Published December 5th 2011 by Grey Gecko Press

To ask other readers questions about Aristeia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aristeia

Start your review of Aristeia: Revolutionary Right (Aristeia, #1)
Ron
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Nice reluctant revolutionary space opera. The writing is mediocre, but the plotting and internal dialogue make up for that. The plot and even names draw heavily from Star Wars and the American War of Independence. With "Nijar" ninjas thrown in for good measure.

Basta needed a proof reader. Lots of awkward construction; way too many adjectives. Some poor writing: The dark look she gave him could cut have through steel.

Still, a decent freshman effort.
C.E. Thornton
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
It's funny how everyone says "Don't judge a book by its cover," and yet it was the cover of the book, from halfway across the state capitol grounds in Austin, that got my attention. I was hurrying to a panel at the Texas Book Festival and didn't have time to stop, but I saw this book from a distance and went back for it, and its sequel, later that day. I did not regret it.

"Aristeia" is at minimum a fun adventure right up the alley of any sci-fi fan, and most especially fans of "Firefly." On
Frank Carr
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

The flow of the writing feels natural and unforced. There is a surprising amount of humour . Characters are well developed.
Kat
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
First published on Radiant Attack.

Theres a lot you can buy for $2.99 these days. Back in my day, $2.99 would get you lunch at the Cambridge Gardens school canteen. Now you can buy whole books for that amount! Aristeia: Revolutionary Right by Wayne Basta is part of the new wave of indie self-publishing, a space opera novel released by Grey Gecko Press.

Former Alliance starfighter, Maarkean Ocaitchi, has been forced a life of smuggling after his sisters near arrest. When she is taken captive by the
Allyson Stevens
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not normally one to seek out books in this genre, simply because though I may enjoy reading them I know that every space age series, book, show, comic or otherwise is going to have its own political system, its worlds will be differently structured, there will probably be different species etc etc. And with as much as I read, that can get incredibly confusing after a while. That being said, I really enjoyed reading Aristeia. The beginning was a bit clunky and kind of hard to follow only ...more
Alycia Harris
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I will not provide a synopsis of the book as this is readily available elsewhere.

The story really is well written, keeping my interest from start to finish. I was initially alarmed by the fact it was mainly from the perspective of the alien (granted, one with very human-like psychology) and that there was early mention of pacifists. I steadied myself for the inevitable message. I was wrong.

For the American reader, especially if youve ever seen the musical 1776, you will recognize the gut
Melanie Adkins
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Maarkean Ocaitchi served in the Alliance Navy as a fighter pilot. He never dreamed one day he'd be fighting against the very agency he fought for. He had a good reason though.. his sister Saracasi. She was attending university and a peaceful protest when it turned ugly. The Alliance attacked the protesters and someone got footage of Saracasi. She was then labelled a terrorist and wanted for treason. Maarkean was not about to let his sister go to prison so he whisked her away before the warrant ...more
Ben Erickson
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'll be frank. Aristeia most likely isn't going to win any Hugos or Nebulas for its writing or plot. But that's not the point. That wasn't the author's point, and it's not why I began and finished the book. The point is, always has been, and I hope always will be for the fun.

Aristeia: Revolutionary Right takes us through the beginning of Maarkean Ocaitchi, a former Alliance pilot turned smuggler as he does what he needs to in order to survive and protect his younger sister. Through the story,
Brandon Heyer
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Aristeia: Revolutionary Right is an amazing introduction novel from Wayne Basta. I am in no way an avid pure science fiction reader (I enjoy several of the sub-genres but typically skirt past real science fiction), and often don't enjoy the laborious descriptions that authors can slip into to set up their fictional worlds. Basta skips that, and I believe that is why this book was so enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, he does establish the realm for you but does it in a way that makes you forget you ...more
Scififan000056
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes Im looking for a good, entertaining space opera, and Aristiea fit the bill perfectly. On top of that, it also raised some interesting and deeper questions about loyalty that made it stand above the average whiz-bang interstellar adventure novel.

Above all, its a well written book, especially on two counts: plot and characterization. Im always disappointed when I can tell where a book is going to end up after the first couple of pages, but Aristiea defied all my expectations. It plays
A Book Vacation
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it

I was reminded, very much, of Star Trek as I read this sci-fi novel. In fact, I recommended it to my brother and mother because, growing up, they were really into all the different Star Treks and space adventure TV shows out there, and I really think this is up their alley. Likewise, I believe any lover of space adventures will enjoy this novel as Basta creates a highly detailed world complete with spaceships, intense weaponry, aerial fights, and other worlds that are highly
Brev
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book. Im not a fast reader, per se, and get bored very quickly at most books, but this little ditty had me coming back for more. A true page-turner, if you will.

Several aspects I truly enjoyed, but I think the two that stuck with me were; the chapter structure and the characters.

To elaborate; I go by this simple rule when reading; There better be something at the end of this chapter that makes me want to read the next one. If the book doesnt have that, Im out. Im not saying
Archer
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Prior to reading this, I had no idea what the word Aristeia meant. Not that the book outright tells you though. I had to look it up on Wikipedia. But now I know, and they say knowing is half the battle.

Being the first book by newly minted author Wayne Basta, I can imagine many people may pass this one up simply because they've never heard of him. But I can guarantee his writing is solid, entertaining and humorous. Everything a good book should be.

Fans of the show Firefly or Star Wars will not
Claire
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm the first to admit that I wouldn't immediately grab a sci-fi book off the bookshelf to read, but I'm very glad I gave this one a chance. This book brings about some very interesting takes on morality and government control, but this doesn't detract from the action-packed space battles. Basta draws you in to his world immediately with the detailed descriptions of the different races and their relationships with one another, as well as painting in-depth pictures of the different worlds. The ...more
Dominick D'Aunno
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Aristeia: Revolutionary Right

Wayne Basta has created a complex and believable universe as a backdrop for Aristeia: Revolutionary Right.

The characters are compelling, delightfully interesting and drive the story forward. The humor is subtle and an unexpected joy. This is definitely science fiction but also has the feel of an old time western with well-choreographed action. Character development and plot are well written and engaging. We feel for the characters and their plight.

For a first book,
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
CONTEST: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

I thoroughly enjoyed Aristeia. The characters were well rounded and the different races well described. It was so good in fact I almost felt like I was watching an episode of Star Trek. The pace was good and there was plenty of action, particularly at the end, which was especially climactic. I do have one criticism though and that is that when the author switched from different points of view, there was no paragraph break. It made things confusing
Critique de Book
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Frankly, I don't usually read battle star sci fi, but I found myself pulled in to this story from the first page. For one, the characters are very interesting. Maarkean and his sister, Saracasi, are trying to live a semi-calm life. Adventure ensues. A lot of it. As Maarkean struggles and tries to take care of his sister, he is forced into learning about loyalty, perseverance, developing friendships with otherwise enemies, and ultimately about perseverance and democracy. I think what struck me ...more
Dove Harbour
I can't say that this was hugely original in a lot of its ideas. The technology was mostly things we've heard before - blasters, hyperdrive, tractor beams etc. The aliens were new, but with a possible Star Warsishness about them? The whole criminals fighting a corrupt Alliance was very Firefly (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).
The writing itself though, was very good. The characters were likeable and interesting, the storyline was eventful, and the action scenes were particularly good.
Thibaldo Manrique
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good story

I found this book a little slow at the beginning. I just could not care that much for the characters and everything took forever to happen.

As the book moves on, it gets better. I still find the characters hard to empathize with, but they are good enough. The story, later on gets a lot better and it does pick up the pace.

So even if not a great book, it is pretty good and readable if you get past the first few chapters.
Arlin Fehr
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up some time ago on a promo. It took me a little while to get into the first few chapters, however once I got hooked, I quickly flew through it. Wayne Basta has made an interesting universe for himself to play in. His first book was compelling enough for me to add the rest of his Aristeia series to my reading list.
MIKE ROBERTS
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This starts out a little slow but developed nicely. The characters are entertaining and there are plenty of them. Who doesn't like a book about the little guy standing up the the big guy. Looking forward to the next one.
James Cox
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. Sometimes I just need to dip into a hardcore sci fi book to really balance out my mood. This worked wonders and I am going to be continuing the series.
Razvan
Nov 29, 2012
Rose Hill
Nov 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Test of Magnitude (The Torian Reclamation, #1)
  • Emergence (Dark Tide #1)
  • The Unsung (After the Galaxy #1)
  • Greenhouse (Insularity, #1)
  • The Captain (The Captain's Inferno Book 1)
  • Evolution Commandos:  Well of Furies
  • Pulse of the Goddess (American Blackout #1)
  • The Defender of Rebel Falls (The William Whitehall Adventures, #1)
  • Legends (Freedom, #1)
  • The Wings of War Boxset: Books 1 - 4
  • Recruit (Iron Legion Book 1)
  • Lioness of Cygnus Five (Cygnus Five, #1)
As a child, Wayne Basta was introduced to science fiction at a young age by his father. Mainstream hits like Star Trek and Star Wars were followed by old Tom Swift novels and then classics like Asimov and Clarke. Growing up on Floridas space coast only served to fuel his imagination and love of space, science and adventure.

At the age of 9, his family got their first home computer, an old Macintosh

Aristeia (3 books)
  • Aristeia: A Little Rebellion (Aristeia, #2)
  • Aristeia: Tree of Liberty (Aristeia, #3)